Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
11-02-2019, 23:21   #3661
Ultimate Seduction
Registered User
 
Ultimate Seduction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 3,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickie10 View Post
i always think we can nearly smell summer if you get a bright mild paddys day. its bright til around 7:10pm thats not a winters day or daylight in my book. 10 days later the clocks usually go forward, that to me is summer time straight away, the length of day means its like summer bright til almost 8:30 in evening. i hate snow after 1st March , winters grip is very loose by paddys day because of day lenght even last year when we got a bitter cold and snow on paddys day , it cant last on ground so better off with snow in december and january really.
Kind of same as how I think to be honest. We've two seasons and they change around March and October . Think it was 2015 we had a really warm period mid march? Thats only 4 weeks away
Ultimate Seduction is offline  
Advertisement
11-02-2019, 23:39   #3662
Gonzo
Moderator
 
Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 9,759
Send a message via MSN to Gonzo
will be interesting to see how many degree's above normal will February be if the GFS charts are correct. Tonights GFS ensembles are just so mild, mostly low to mid teens all the way to March 1st.
Gonzo is offline  
11-02-2019, 23:42   #3663
PixelTrawler
Registered User
 
PixelTrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Seduction View Post
Kind of same as how I think to be honest. We've two seasons and they change around March and October . Think it was 2015 we had a really warm period mid march? Thats only 4 weeks away
Mid March 2014 was very warm. We had just moved into this house and we got a wood burner installed. We lit it to test it but didnt use it til the following autumn. It was far too warm already for a fire.

Years since we've lit it in miserable cold wet days in April.
PixelTrawler is offline  
12-02-2019, 06:00   #3664
Graces7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 20,034
A wild, loud night and a blustery morning. Yesterday was an oasis.
Graces7 is offline  
Thanks from:
12-02-2019, 10:26   #3665
zell12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 6,265
Been such a mild winter and little rain
zell12 is offline  
Advertisement
12-02-2019, 12:01   #3666
pauldry
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,445
Is this going to be the mildest Winter on record?

December way milder than normal
January slightly above
February above normal

Only about 10 cold days all season.

Seems nowadays that the weather is either milder than average for a prolonged period followed by a short cold spurt to bring average down followed by another long mild spell.

The monthly averages are distorted nowadays.

e.g February showing as normal currently but this is only because it was way colder than normal for 3 days but the other days have been normal or above.
pauldry is offline  
Thanks from:
12-02-2019, 12:15   #3667
Oscar Bravo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,821
Nice afternoon here in Castlebar.blue skies light winds . 12 degrees
Oscar Bravo is offline  
Thanks from:
12-02-2019, 12:45   #3668
sideswipe
Registered User
 
sideswipe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by repub View Post
hi people,
i picked up a virus guessing it was a strain of flu. It lasted a good 10 days and I'm still recovering. aches pains, temperature, dry cough, sinuses, sore throat. the strangest thing though is the night sweats the past few nights. I feel most symptoms are gone just the after math like a bit flem-ee etc. but the waking up in the night with my clothes soaking is a bit alarming. anyone else experience this??
Hi repub,

Think you may have the wrong forum. This is the weather forum, you're looking for the under the weather forum

ps get well soon

pps go and see a doctor
sideswipe is offline  
(3) thanks from:
12-02-2019, 13:41   #3669
snowgal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by repub View Post
hi people,
i picked up a virus guessing it was a strain of flu. It lasted a good 10 days and I'm still recovering. aches pains, temperature, dry cough, sinuses, sore throat. the strangest thing though is the night sweats the past few nights. I feel most symptoms are gone just the after math like a bit flem-ee etc. but the waking up in the night with my clothes soaking is a bit alarming. anyone else experience this??
Hi Repub, yes Im exactly the same. Just about feeling somewhat normal this week but still getting these crazy night (and day!) sweats after 2 weeks. I think its just the way the strain is working on this particular virus....

btw mods, move this somewhere else if appropriate...thanks
snowgal is offline  
Advertisement
12-02-2019, 13:46   #3670
Gonzo
Moderator
 
Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 9,759
Send a message via MSN to Gonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldry View Post
Is this going to be the mildest Winter on record?

December way milder than normal
January slightly above
February above normal

Only about 10 cold days all season.

Seems nowadays that the weather is either milder than average for a prolonged period followed by a short cold spurt to bring average down followed by another long mild spell.

The monthly averages are distorted nowadays.

e.g February showing as normal currently but this is only because it was way colder than normal for 3 days but the other days have been normal or above.
It will be very interesting to see how mild in total this Winter has been. The majority of the season has seen days of 10C+. Only a handful of days have gone colder than 6C. Many places have seen no snow at all and only a few frosty nights.

At night time Ireland has been consistently the warmest country in Europe throughout this Winter, with night time temperatures close to 10C on many nights. Only recently has places like Greece and southern Spain joined Ireland with mild night time temperatures.

This may not be the mildest winter of all time, but it's certainly in my top 3 list of mild winters since the 1970s in terms of mild daytime and nighttime temperatures, almost complete absence of snow and very little frost.
Gonzo is offline  
(2) thanks from:
12-02-2019, 13:56   #3671
road_high
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelTrawler View Post
Mid March 2014 was very warm. We had just moved into this house and we got a wood burner installed. We lit it to test it but didnt use it til the following autumn. It was far too warm already for a fire.

Years since we've lit it in miserable cold wet days in April.
March 2012 was savage, mini heatwave stuff. Remember doing a job interview and having to have all windows open. It was so sunny and warm.
The summer after was pretty crap though!
road_high is offline  
Thanks from:
12-02-2019, 14:45   #3672
Gonzo
Moderator
 
Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 9,759
Send a message via MSN to Gonzo
long range models now forcasting the mild spell to last at least until the second week of March. Temperatures this week between 3 and 6C above average, then more like 1 to 3C above average in the 3 weeks to follow this week.

The long range models have been wrong all winter, so let's see if this mild theme lasts for another month.
Gonzo is offline  
Thanks from:
12-02-2019, 14:48   #3673
Snow Garden
Registered User
 
Snow Garden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by repub View Post
hi people,
i picked up a virus guessing it was a strain of flu. It lasted a good 10 days and I'm still recovering. aches pains, temperature, dry cough, sinuses, sore throat. the strangest thing though is the night sweats the past few nights. I feel most symptoms are gone just the after math like a bit flem-ee etc. but the waking up in the night with my clothes soaking is a bit alarming. anyone else experience this??
One flu over the cuckoos nest. You are hallucinating chief...
Snow Garden is offline  
12-02-2019, 14:53   #3674
Rebelbrowser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
long range models now forcasting the mild spell to last at least until the second week of March. Temperatures this week between 3 and 6C above average, then more like 1 to 3C above average in the 3 weeks to follow this week.

The long range models have been wrong all winter, so let's see if this mild theme lasts for another month.
There's only one long range model you can trust....



and

Rebelbrowser is offline  
(2) thanks from:
12-02-2019, 17:44   #3675
sryanbruen
Registered User
 
sryanbruen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 10,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
It will be very interesting to see how mild in total this Winter has been. The majority of the season has seen days of 10C+. Only a handful of days have gone colder than 6C. Many places have seen no snow at all and only a few frosty nights.

At night time Ireland has been consistently the warmest country in Europe throughout this Winter, with night time temperatures close to 10C on many nights. Only recently has places like Greece and southern Spain joined Ireland with mild night time temperatures.

This may not be the mildest winter of all time, but it's certainly in my top 3 list of mild winters since the 1970s in terms of mild daytime and nighttime temperatures, almost complete absence of snow and very little frost.
In case of your curiosity, I have created the following analysis for Dunsany based on temperature data of previous Winters (means are based on midnight to midnight readings rather than 0900 to 0900 UTC readings).

Winter (December to February) mean temperatures, mean max and mean min temperatures.

Keep in mind, some or all data is not available for the following Winters: 1967-68, 1970-71, 1971-72, 1979-80, 1984-85, 1991-92, 2007-08. So beware of the sudden down spikes as a result in points of the graph.

Coldest: 2009-10 with a mean of 2.2c
Mildest: 1988-89 & 1997-98 with a mean of 6.4c

2018-19 up to January is currently running at 6.3c. Mean minimum is currently record high at 4.0c but one more month of data to consider.


Last edited by sryanbruen; 12-02-2019 at 17:56.
sryanbruen is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet