Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-02-2019, 23:21   #3661
Ultimate Seduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickie10 View Post
i always think we can nearly smell summer if you get a bright mild paddys day. its bright til around 7:10pm thats not a winters day or daylight in my book. 10 days later the clocks usually go forward, that to me is summer time straight away, the length of day means its like summer bright til almost 8:30 in evening. i hate snow after 1st March , winters grip is very loose by paddys day because of day lenght even last year when we got a bitter cold and snow on paddys day , it cant last on ground so better off with snow in december and january really.
Kind of same as how I think to be honest. We've two seasons and they change around March and October . Think it was 2015 we had a really warm period mid march? Thats only 4 weeks away
Advertisement
11-02-2019, 23:39   #3662
Gonzo

Send a message via MSN to Gonzo
will be interesting to see how many degree's above normal will February be if the GFS charts are correct. Tonights GFS ensembles are just so mild, mostly low to mid teens all the way to March 1st.
11-02-2019, 23:42   #3663
PixelTrawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Seduction View Post
Kind of same as how I think to be honest. We've two seasons and they change around March and October . Think it was 2015 we had a really warm period mid march? Thats only 4 weeks away
Mid March 2014 was very warm. We had just moved into this house and we got a wood burner installed. We lit it to test it but didnt use it til the following autumn. It was far too warm already for a fire.

Years since we've lit it in miserable cold wet days in April.
12-02-2019, 06:00   #3664
Graces7

A wild, loud night and a blustery morning. Yesterday was an oasis.
Thanks from:
12-02-2019, 10:26   #3665
zell12

Been such a mild winter and little rain
Advertisement
12-02-2019, 12:01   #3666
pauldry

Is this going to be the mildest Winter on record?

December way milder than normal
January slightly above
February above normal

Only about 10 cold days all season.

Seems nowadays that the weather is either milder than average for a prolonged period followed by a short cold spurt to bring average down followed by another long mild spell.

The monthly averages are distorted nowadays.

e.g February showing as normal currently but this is only because it was way colder than normal for 3 days but the other days have been normal or above.
Thanks from:
12-02-2019, 12:15   #3667
Oscar Bravo

Nice afternoon here in Castlebar.blue skies light winds . 12 degrees
Thanks from:
12-02-2019, 12:45   #3668
sideswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by repub View Post
hi people,
i picked up a virus guessing it was a strain of flu. It lasted a good 10 days and I'm still recovering. aches pains, temperature, dry cough, sinuses, sore throat. the strangest thing though is the night sweats the past few nights. I feel most symptoms are gone just the after math like a bit flem-ee etc. but the waking up in the night with my clothes soaking is a bit alarming. anyone else experience this??
Hi repub,

Think you may have the wrong forum. This is the weather forum, you're looking for the under the weather forum

ps get well soon

pps go and see a doctor
(3) thanks from:
12-02-2019, 13:41   #3669
snowgal

Quote:
hi people,
i picked up a virus guessing it was a strain of flu. It lasted a good 10 days and I'm still recovering. aches pains, temperature, dry cough, sinuses, sore throat. the strangest thing though is the night sweats the past few nights. I feel most symptoms are gone just the after math like a bit flem-ee etc. but the waking up in the night with my clothes soaking is a bit alarming. anyone else experience this??
Hi Repub, yes Im exactly the same. Just about feeling somewhat normal this week but still getting these crazy night (and day!) sweats after 2 weeks. I think its just the way the strain is working on this particular virus....

btw mods, move this somewhere else if appropriate...thanks
Advertisement
12-02-2019, 13:46   #3670
Gonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldry View Post
Is this going to be the mildest Winter on record?

December way milder than normal
January slightly above
February above normal

Only about 10 cold days all season.

Seems nowadays that the weather is either milder than average for a prolonged period followed by a short cold spurt to bring average down followed by another long mild spell.

The monthly averages are distorted nowadays.

e.g February showing as normal currently but this is only because it was way colder than normal for 3 days but the other days have been normal or above.
It will be very interesting to see how mild in total this Winter has been. The majority of the season has seen days of 10C+. Only a handful of days have gone colder than 6C. Many places have seen no snow at all and only a few frosty nights.

At night time Ireland has been consistently the warmest country in Europe throughout this Winter, with night time temperatures close to 10C on many nights. Only recently has places like Greece and southern Spain joined Ireland with mild night time temperatures.

This may not be the mildest winter of all time, but it's certainly in my top 3 list of mild winters since the 1970s in terms of mild daytime and nighttime temperatures, almost complete absence of snow and very little frost.
(2) thanks from:
12-02-2019, 13:56   #3671
road_high

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelTrawler View Post
Mid March 2014 was very warm. We had just moved into this house and we got a wood burner installed. We lit it to test it but didnt use it til the following autumn. It was far too warm already for a fire.

Years since we've lit it in miserable cold wet days in April.
March 2012 was savage, mini heatwave stuff. Remember doing a job interview and having to have all windows open. It was so sunny and warm.
The summer after was pretty crap though!
Thanks from:
12-02-2019, 14:45   #3672
Gonzo

long range models now forcasting the mild spell to last at least until the second week of March. Temperatures this week between 3 and 6C above average, then more like 1 to 3C above average in the 3 weeks to follow this week.

The long range models have been wrong all winter, so let's see if this mild theme lasts for another month.
Thanks from:
12-02-2019, 14:48   #3673
Snow Garden

Quote:
hi people,
One flu over the cuckoos nest. You are hallucinating chief...
12-02-2019, 14:53   #3674
Rebelbrowser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
long range models now forcasting the mild spell to last at least until the second week of March. Temperatures this week between 3 and 6C above average, then more like 1 to 3C above average in the 3 weeks to follow this week.

The long range models have been wrong all winter, so let's see if this mild theme lasts for another month.
There's only one long range model you can trust....

and

(2) thanks from:
12-02-2019, 17:44   #3675
sryanbruen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
It will be very interesting to see how mild in total this Winter has been. The majority of the season has seen days of 10C+. Only a handful of days have gone colder than 6C. Many places have seen no snow at all and only a few frosty nights.

At night time Ireland has been consistently the warmest country in Europe throughout this Winter, with night time temperatures close to 10C on many nights. Only recently has places like Greece and southern Spain joined Ireland with mild night time temperatures.

This may not be the mildest winter of all time, but it's certainly in my top 3 list of mild winters since the 1970s in terms of mild daytime and nighttime temperatures, almost complete absence of snow and very little frost.
In case of your curiosity, I have created the following analysis for Dunsany based on temperature data of previous Winters (means are based on midnight to midnight readings rather than 0900 to 0900 UTC readings).

Winter (December to February) mean temperatures, mean max and mean min temperatures.

Keep in mind, some or all data is not available for the following Winters: 1967-68, 1970-71, 1971-72, 1979-80, 1984-85, 1991-92, 2007-08. So beware of the sudden down spikes as a result in points of the graph.

Coldest: 2009-10 with a mean of 2.2c
Mildest: 1988-89 & 1997-98 with a mean of 6.4c

2018-19 up to January is currently running at 6.3c. Mean minimum is currently record high at 4.0c but one more month of data to consider.

Last edited by sryanbruen; 12-02-2019 at 17:56.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion