Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Monkeynut wrote: »
    It Just Got Better!!!!!!! Ahhhh ;) :pac: :eek:

Capture.png

https://www.boards.ie/love.php

Finally I made it on to someones list:pac:

As for all of those saying Winter can pack it bags, snow don't listen to these traitors, you are welcome anytime!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

What a night out there, nearly as good as good as today

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

What a night out there, nearly as good as good as today

Chilly out there here now. Casement's by far the coldest synop station at 1.8 °C at midnight, while Dublin Airport is 6.6 °C. Both just 1 okta of low cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

I love this mildness but there will be more cold

Looking at all the Met Graphs trends of past they go warm cold warm cold warm or should i say mild instead of warm

One thing to notice about the past 12 months weather is that the temperature is rarely the average. its either slightly above way above or below for short periods.

I surmise the next cold spell will be a short sharp one and will happen bang on the end of February start of March. Then March will probably be milder than recent years.

I still think within the next 5 years Ireland will get an exceptional Summer temperature...e.g. 35c due to warming seas and changing weather patterns and more bendy jetstreams. Last year we got to 32c so it may not be in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Chilly out there here now. Casement's by far the coldest synop station at 1.8 °C at midnight, while Dublin Airport is 6.6 °C. Both just 1 okta of low cloud.

Yeah it was chilly alright, but the sky was so clear and moon so bright, air so crisp, jeez i better stop there, lets just say it was very nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

The weirdest 'glow' in the atmosphere this morning. Very dark bronze or something with a sky that looks like it is about explode. Very hard to describe. Has there been an atom bomb test somewhere nearby recently?

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    The weirdest 'glow' in the atmosphere this morning. Very dark bronze or something with a sky that looks like it is about explode. Very hard to describe. Has there been an atom bomb test somewhere nearby recently?

Same here in cork city. It is beautiful though

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

Sahara dust?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Athleauge co roscommon 15/02/19 8.10 temperature 6°C
    iLoYwFm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭pad199207

That is a weird morning. Beautiful though.

Sky has the hazy summer glow to it, yet it’s windy and quite nippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

I'm always amazed at how quickly my love of winter and cold and snow disappears once I get my first mild spring day or two. Out in the garden yesterday in Dublin was beautiful. Sat on the bench in the sunshine for half hour feeling the sun on my face. Saw a bee. At this stage I'm hoping any snow etc comes in November or December this year. Though it was chilly last night... Still only mid February.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Stunning weather here in Dublin... just wish we had this in April or even May instead. The skies are bringing back memories of June 28 last year, the day I went on holidays. It was very clear and you could see the smoke from the Wicklow Mountains.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

fantastic day here. If the current conditions were happening in mid July we'd be getting temperatures close to 30C. What's the bets we will have northern blocking and cool north-east winds with showers this July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Gonzo wrote: »
    fantastic day here. If the current conditions were happening in mid July we'd be getting temperatures close to 30C. What's the bets we will have northern blocking and cool north-east winds with showers this July.

Or just more dense cloud like here in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Yeah it was chilly alright, but the sky was so clear and moon so bright, air so crisp, jeez i better stop there, lets just say it was very nice
    That's love talking

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Dark, overcast and wet in Castlebar.

After a nice morning it's turned rotten here in cork city. Windy, heavy drizzle. Had to walk home in it after a mediocre German oral which didn't help :(

Oh well

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

currently 14C at Dunshaughlin, hit 15C here earlier when it was sunny. Clouded over now but still feeling very mild despite the breeze. Today was more like a good day in late April or early May, rather than mid February. Some people were in t-shirts during lunch time it was so Spring like.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,514 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

16.5c in Phoenix Park today. (Noticed rameire posted it in the forecast contest thread)

https://twitter.com/meteireann/status/1096423103444541441?s=21

A definite sign of Spring in Dublin when not considering the wind.

https://twitter.com/snowbiewx/status/1096434229460766721?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

sryanbruen wrote: »
    16.5c in Phoenix Park today. (Noticed rameire posted it in the forecast contest thread)

https://twitter.com/meteireann/status/1096423103444541441?s=21

A definite sign of Spring in Dublin when not considering the wind.

https://twitter.com/snowbiewx/status/1096434229460766721?s=21

I cycled home in Cork at 1pm today. Was wearing two layers, one especially warm, with gloves and helmet - and I was frozen. Icy wind at that time anyway. A long way from 16.5c I can tell you!

16.5C on 15th of February is seriously impressive for Dublin. It hit 17.5C in Rhyl, Wales this afternoon, that's 10C above average for the time of year.

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1096425494713716737

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Just further on that, it is currently 15c at Dublin airport and 10c at Cork. If anything at 10c it feels a lot warmer here than it was earlier.

Just further on that, it is currently 15c at Dublin airport and 10c at Cork. If anything at 10c it feels a lot warmer here than it was earlier.

Yep. Felt bitter earlier in the strong wind. Still mank drizzle though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Cloudy now, feels more natural than when it was sunny earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,514 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

15 February 2019 is the joint sixth warmest February day on record for Dublin Airport and second warmest February day on record for Phoenix Park (using available data anyway back to the 1950s - the station has a longer history but I don't have old data).

ff38Qx9.png

Data comes from Met Éireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

You have to laugh at the stupid news reports on the radio stating 'Ireland was hotter than Athens today'.
    It's mild out alright but far from hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

lolie wrote: »
    You have to laugh at the stupid news reports on the radio stating 'Ireland was hotter than Athens today'.
    It's mild out alright but far from hot.

Was that on the radio🙇*♂️🙇*♂️🙇*♂️🙈

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Even windier tomorrow/ tomorrow night, rain moving into the SW / W by evening and crossing the country overnight into Sun morning.

anim_qpj0.gif

anim_ujh7.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

But it was hotter than Athens. Going by the report above Athens was only 7, which sounds quite cool for Athens.

Advertisement