Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ciara - Reports/Chat/Non Technical

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    How's the trampoline?

Be in Wales faster than Amazon could get it there. Its touch and go whether the large satellite dish gets there first.

I assume this is the precursor to the storm which isn't due to hit until 4 or 5am. Its bad as it is already here on the SE coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

Why do weather chat threads attract so many arse holes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

A bit windy in D5 but mild, gonna cycle down to local for last orders now, wish me luck!

xabi wrote: »

Wind?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

ZX7R wrote: »
    What I am saying is you facts were wrong.

Feel free to speak in your mother tongue here, if you wish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4bn_eGlpVg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

A bit windy in D5 but mild, gonna cycle down to local for last orders now, wish me luck!
    You've an hour, don't get slaughtered, the wind, drunkenness and cycling = a fun time or a bad time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

xabi wrote: »

Mod Note: xabi recieved a warning for this post.

Keep it civil or you will not be permitted to post in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Acosta

Impetus wrote: »
    Depending on the load factor and wind an A320 could land on the short runway at ORK. My point basically is why should this dump of an airport whith a maga SW prevailing wind not have a SW facing runway ideally with ILS CAT 3b. Given the fog etc mainly created by coal fires and industrial smog and central heating using gas or oil rather than heat exchangers and other forms of low pollution heat sources. Over the past 20 years due to smog reduction initiatives, fog is almost a non-event in Switzerland even in freezing winter. Because the air is much cleaner.

The RWYs at ORK need to be extended which will require a new access to the airport via M28 rather than N27 and the extended runway to overpass the N27.

Pretty sure I saw a A321 land on the short runway around 15 years ago when there was a bad crosswind. I can't remember if it was before or after they changed the Heathrow flight to a A320.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

Wind and rain after dying down a bit here now on the south coast of Cork. It was pretty bad for the last 3-4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,469 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Has this storm got the potential to delay flight take offs from Dublin Airport in the morning have a family member flying out at 6.45.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Has this storm got the potential to delay flight take offs from Dublin Airport in the morning have a family member flying out at 6.45.

I'll put it this way....... No you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

There's a definite punch to the wind now. Tiles are lifting on the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I'll put it this way....... No you don't.

Put it whatever way you want, you haven't a clue. Have the flights been cancelled? Then they're still running.

Wind is forecasted to be from 220 degrees (SSW) 30kts gusting to 53kts, which is fairly hairy and would prevent operations, but if it doesn't reach quite that level the airport will operate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Put it whatever way you want, you haven't a clue. Have the flights been cancelled? Then they're still running.

Wind is forecasted to be from 220 degrees (SSW) 30kts gusting to 53kts, which is fairly hairy and would prevent operations, but if it doesn't reach quite that level the airport will operate.

perfect for runway 28, they have been using it all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

Wicklow town getting wild

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

perfect for runway 28, they have been using it all day.

Absolutely not perfect for R28. Worst case scenario, in fact. Direction from 220-230 always creates problems, especially with a wet runway. Windshear will be a big factor tomorrow, even with winds perfectly aligned straight down the runway. Expect a lot of go-arounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Yup, 220° is the worst wind for Dublin airport, as both RWY28 and 16 have the same crosswind. Today worked as the wind wasn't strong enough to cause major disruption

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

There is a rant about Met Eireann on the technical Storm threat against the superior Icelandic met service. I thought it was more appropriate to post the following statement here in Chat. Met Eireann is better than most foreign national met services.
    Where countries like Iceland and the USA get frequent severe weather events they need good Met services to protect their population from dangerous conditions. Even there is a commercial TV channel in the states covering weather only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Impetus wrote: »
    Feel free to speak in your mother tongue here, if you wish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4bn_eGlpVg

What has that got to do with , meteoalarm
    And why it was showing a yellow warning.
    Or when the meteo group was interduced,
    Please tell me

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭netbeatz

Sitting in JFK airport at the moment, flight to DUB delayed because of the storm. Missing out on all the action :(

Although, I did meet Ciara when she was a depression passing over Florida...she packed a punch there with 60mph+ winds and a nice light show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

Thunder and lightning in southwest Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

The rain in Carlow is very intense.

Just waiting on a flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

Just drove from Ennis to East Clare bucketing down rain with just a light breeze at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

netbeatz wrote: »
    Sitting in JFK airport at the moment, flight to DUB delayed because of the storm. Missing out on all the action :(

Although, I did meet Ciara when she was a depression passing over Florida...she packed a punch there with 60mph+ winds and a nice light show.

EI 104 from JFK touched down about 10 mins ago and is almost an hour early on its projected arrival time. No doubt the strong jet helped it along the way

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    Ok, the letter box is starting to flap. That's the non scientific weather warning in our gaff.

The outer half of mine got blown off years ago but the inner half rattles companionably..

Graces7 wrote: »
    There was a space of a few peaceful hours, and now back to the "shake, rattle and roll."

Looks that Ciara will be shortlived?

Thanks to all by the way. It gets very hard going. I spent a long while yesterday updating my weblog …. I had to close comments there as one or two boardsies arrived :eek: They were on moderation anyways. url on my signature .
    That is a safe place now. And will stay so

You have my location wrong also but it is not wise or done to give out exact locations online, so simply "West mayo offshore" is adequate and safe.

Will see re later. Jaffa orange Ireland is a fine sight on the map!

To some; find a different punchbag please. Thank you

Oh on the overseas news, film of the ballot boxes boxes being collected from Belmullet by chopper... would love to have been on that bird!

EI 104 from JFK touched down about 10 mins ago and is almost an hour early on its projected arrival time. No doubt the strong jet helped it along the way

That is a terrifying thought!

"Warming" up nicely out there now. A time for "patient endurance" , good fire and knitting. Stay safe and dry' at least no work to get to. All fine here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Some good lightening here in South Dublin.

• Advertisement

Very heavy rain and strong winds in Cork city.

Advertisement