Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Ciara - Reports/Chat/Non Technical

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

The media will get a hold of the Estofex forecast now and will have a field day.

I wouldn’t recommend posting that onto weather pages

• Registered Users Posts: 23,780 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Met É gone all back to green status now, bar the marine. Thats grand, panic over.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Orange is finally back!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Orange warning back on met.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Graces7 wrote: »
    Blessings and thanks but I think I have had enough. Every time I join in this starts I have just closed down on the other storm thread.

It is unbearably upsetting to come here and find sneering and insults. I am too old and unwell; all I came here for was to share island storm life which is like no other. Love it dearly.

Yes I am in tears . I said after Brendan that is this started again that was it. And it has . Same people same posts. was literally sick to my stomach after Brendan and headed tjay way now and not even storm day yet. sorry; canpt see for tears... I am nearly 80 and neber been treated liek this anywhwere but boards ie weather
    Blessings and thanks
    I've never met you, Grace, and apart from knowing you like cats & live on Clare Island, I know nothing about you. But I really enjoy your posts, and from the relative comfort of the midlands, I look forward to your posts & updates. Please don't stop. Don't allow the gob****es to win. Warm wishes. Foggy X

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭Comhrá

+1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

pad199207 wrote: »
    The media will get a hold of the Estofex forecast now and will have a field day.

I wouldn’t recommend posting that onto weather pages

I would respectfully disagree, I think it is very valid, Straight line winds and very strong convective gusts could be very strong tomorrow for a time. I think we could get some hefty thunderstorm activity early especially in Kerry / Munster .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Graces7, just ignore the critics, that is my philosophy otherwise you waste a lot of mental energy dealing with a few irrationally hostile people. We value your reports as we have very few people participating from a remote island location.

Just popped in here to underscore the fact that this storm will be hitting in its full strength as early as first light tomorrow, it is moving along at a rapid pace and the centre is already past 25W. In other words, you'll wake up to Ciara or she will wake you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

I second this ! Please don’t let the nasty side push you out @graces7 ! I never post here (mainly because I know nothing about weather , but I have a obsession with it ) and I come to the weather forum everyday to marvel in the knowledge here by many posters and there is nothing I love more than your amazing description of island life and islands weather , it reads like a novel for me and I love it ! Ignore the bad comments , they are few and far between and most of us here don’t feel this way about your posts . To everyone who has posted any kind of mean spirited reply to @graces7 or anyone here on this forum can you please just say nothing if you have nothing nice to say . Everyone’s experience and perception of weather is different and as we all know very well , weather can be localised so what’s going on around your house won’t necessarily be the same at someone’s house 10 miles down the road ! We are all here for one common reason and that is the weather , can’t we all just be respectful to each other ?

Burts Bee wrote: »
    Grace, please don't go. Nearly 99.9% of us love your posts. Honestly, weather forum wouldn't be same without you. Trolls on ignore. Mean spirited people.
    I love the way you describe your weather. You should write a book. Lots of love, Ruth. X

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

I would respectfully disagree, I think it is very valid, Straight line winds and very strong convective gusts could be very strong tomorrow for a time. I think we could get some hefty thunderstorm activity early especially in Kerry / Munster .

Oh no I do agree with the forecast don’t get me wrong. However it really is the exception

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Grace adds creativity and atmosphere to her posts.
    Like myself she says it as it is.

You keep her lit grace :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Can we open an amazing grace thread where all the compliments can go? I want her to stay btw and not being uncivil as tone can get lost here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

mobil 222 wrote: »
    Met.ie charts back up Orange warning from 5 AM till midday tomorrow.

Typical Oirish imprecise crap. CYA from over paid civil servants!

I remember emailing met.ie a decade or so ago, asking when would there be a weather website for Ireland. The response was along the lines of 'we have no intention to do this'. The level of detail and graphic quality of met.ie remains appalling for the cost to the state of providing the weather forecasting service.

https://www.windy.com/EICK?2020-02-09-18,51.866,-10.953,7,m:e8gafVD

Czechia based windy.com (it employs about 12 people on a donation basis model like wiki) provides hour by hour precise weather forecasts (and a lot more - eg pollution etc) for almost the entire planet accurate to the hour or better.

Evening all ,Graces7 has lost power at the dwelling but she has sent this photo. All is ok at the dwelling

Oscar Bravo, East Mayo, parked up on top of a hill, stalking Knock Airport.

dsmythy wrote: »
    Sorry but Michael Fish warned of very strong winds in that forecast. He correctly (and easily) predicted no literal hurricane.

Perhaps not a literal huricane. And you don't need to apologise. But it did much damage to property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Grace : I hope you are still reading. I'm another fan of your posts, from your days in Co.Kerry and your move to Galway and then out to the island! As somebody who grew up on the coast observing the changing weather before we had 24 hr access to weather updates, I
    love reading your observations from the island,and often find myself thinking "wonder how Grace is doing today!"
    There are a lot of cynics online, and I guess a "non technical thread" attracts them like flies around a cowpat.
    I really am looking forward to reading your updates from the island tomorrow.
    The weather forum would be a poorer place without you in it x

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Can we get back on topic and the mods sort out the Grace issue noting against her but a lot of weather threads turn into this. If she feels a post is in need of reporting then she should do so.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Aer Lingus A320's never land on RWY25/07 at Cork, all Airbus and Boeing aircraft land exclusively on RWY16/34

Depending on the load factor and wind an A320 could land on the short runway at ORK. My point basically is why should this dump of an airport whith a maga SW prevailing wind not have a SW facing runway ideally with ILS CAT 3b. Given the fog etc mainly created by coal fires and industrial smog and central heating using gas or oil rather than heat exchangers and other forms of low pollution heat sources. Over the past 20 years due to smog reduction initiatives, fog is almost a non-event in Switzerland even in freezing winter. Because the air is much cleaner.

The RWYs at ORK need to be extended which will require a new access to the airport via M28 rather than N27 and the extended runway to overpass the N27.

ZX7R wrote: »
    Meteoalarm can only issue what the home country issue, Ireland's will be back to orange when the time it issued for starts.
    Meteoalarm only started in 2007

So basically you are implying that somebody is dozy and does not deserve their salary? We are now in 2020 - not 2007. Time moves on etc...

A guy walking down a street in Berlin with a 'barrow' of 99 mobile phones following him can cause Google traffic to red line a street with high traffic levels during an off peak period. It takes Google five minutes to figure out that some cars are driving down the street at 50 km/h. And there is no traffic jam.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/3/21120463/google-maps-traffic-jams-99-phones-little-red-wagon-simon-weckert

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Impetus wrote: »
    So basically you are implying that somebody is dozy and does not deserve their salary? We are now in 2020 - not 2007. Time moves on etc...

A guy walking down a street in Berlin with a 'barrow' of 99 mobile phones following him can cause Google traffic to red line a street with high traffic levels during an off peak period. It takes Google five minutes to figure out that some cars are driving down the street at 50 km/h. And there is no traffic jam.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/3/21120463/google-maps-traffic-jams-99-phones-little-red-wagon-simon-weckert

What I am saying is you facts were wrong.

• Advertisement

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    This headline on the Danish Met Office site made me chuckle:

Long-term and strong winds in binoculars
    6 February 2020. A solid windstorm hits Denmark from Sunday and a few days ahead. Forecasters are currently swinging between coal and storm in the middle wind, while gusts can reach storm or perhaps as high as hurricane. In connection with the wind storm there is a risk of elevated water levels - especially in the Limfjord area.

'In the middle wind...".

The problem with many Anglos (which I include Irish people in the group) is that many are scared or whatever to speak another language. While the standard of English in DK is generally good, standards vary. It depends on school and IQ etc. But it is easier for a native language speaker as recipient to understand semi-rubbish from a non-native language speaker and understand it.

From a meteo perspective, it seems that when it is windy in DK in can be calm in Ireland and vv. Which is a good reason for Europe-wide grid inter connectivity. Ireland has no grid connection to the rest of the EU as it stands. The grid connections that exist are at FX risk to the tumbling GBP currency. Ireland needs to grow to about 20 GW of offshore wind and a similar capacity of direct connections to France and others in Eurozone. In that way there will be wind power for all Irish demand even during relatively calm days, with grid backup from the mainland. And Ireland needs lots of solar including feed in tariffs to balance windy winter power with the calmer summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Perhaps not a literal huricane. And you don't need to apologise. But it did much damage to property.

Very strong winds, which he correctly predicted, tend to do that.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

What’s the weather in Galway like for tomorrow? Have a game but hoping it will be cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Lucas44 wrote: »
    What’s the weather in Galway like for tomorrow? Have a game but hoping it will be cancelled

No doubt it might be to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

When I think of Grace all I can see is Granny Weatherwax. Our own, MUCH LOVED, poet and hedge witch.

Long may you post, Grace.

and thank you. Your words paint beautiful pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

The problem with many Anglos (which I include Irish people in the group) is that many are scared or whatever to speak another language.

I'm not scared, more just couldn't be arsed, but if I was, Danish would be the last on my list.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Lovely and calm here yet in nw Donegal. Rain just starting to patter off the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Thinking of Grace7 being an Islander you are the most vulnerable than most of us to storms. You give us important coverage to what is happening around you. I like your posts. Thank you Grace. I hope you have a good internet connection out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Very wild all evening here in Wexford.

BBQ keeps going out. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

STB. wrote: »
    Very wild all evening here in Wexford.

BBQ keeps going out. :)

How's the trampoline?

Advertisement