Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Would encourage all to make a submission suggesting they use some form of planters instead of just ugly road closed signs, will at least brighten up the place a bit.

Have also suggested they consider making such changes permanent.. Especially Paul Street.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Crane number 2 being erected at the Crow’s Nest site this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

CIT student accommodation development (yesterday).

514014.jpg

Rochestown Inn being renovated.

514258.jpg

And this is the carpark being constructed (I think) near the boating club on the Marina.

514259.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,074 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Great that actual construction work has finally started on Marina Park but this is another City Council project years behind schedule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

My concern is that clearing works will be done before funding dries up with the way the economy is likely to head. Hopefully I'm wrong on that I should point out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

a huge carpark next to the river will be like that other eyesore on the opposite side lower down at tivoli where all the cars are kept if its open plan,

anyone got a pics on what this is suppose to look like when finished, curious to see what they have in store

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭airy fairy

opus wrote: »
    CIT student accommodation development (yesterday).

514014.jpg

Where is that?
    Apologies if it's been stated already.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

airy fairy wrote: »
    Where is that?
    Apologies if it's been stated already.

That's behind the tax office on model farm road beside Parchment Square student accomadation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Just incase, there's a survey here about a pedestrian view of cork city and your opinion on it. By some UCC professor I think but they seem to be pushing for more pedestrianisation.

https://cacsss.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_dm97ekoBfiuxv6d

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭snotboogie

https://twitter.com/CllrDesCahil/status/1265601440992702464?s=20

Bizarrely the Square Deal Student Accomodation looks like it may be starting...

Anyone around the city centre seeing if anything is happening at the Prism?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There was CField crews there yesterday when I passed and there's new social distancing signage up. Couldn't see any other noticable progress coming from Anderson's Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Sigma101

snotboogie wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/CllrDesCahil/status/1265601440992702464?s=20

Bizarrely the Square Deal Student Accomodation looks like it may be starting...

Anyone around the city centre seeing if anything is happening at the Prism?

Pity, I always thought the existing building had considerable architectural merit and could be preserved. It's a good example of industrial architecture from over 100 years ago. I assume the facade will have to be kept?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

Sigma101 wrote: »
    Pity, I always thought the existing building had considerable architectural merit and could be preserved. It's a good example of industrial architecture from over 100 years ago. I assume the facade will have to be kept?
    mainMediaSize=537x291_type=image_publish=true__image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

namloc1980 wrote: »
    More student accommodation! Each of these developments only further highlights the complete lack of city centre developments to cater for non student housing.

What's the difference between student and non-student accommodation besides proximity to a college?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Presumably you won't be allowed to live there unless you are a student.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

The more dedicated student housing means less students living in areas not designed for them. That might sound harsh but its the reality, everyone here will have examples of students disrupting normal family estates/streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

Imagine if the College Road, Connaught Avenue, Highfield Avenue, Highfield West, etc houses weren't full of students and instead were full of families or non students. They're all extremely nice houses (externally - granted, they're probably small inside, but a lot of people wouldn't care about that) that just need some TLC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

mainMediaSize=537x291_type=image_publish=true__image.jpg

I quite like this. I've been pretty critical of lots of the new buildings going up but this looks nice to me.

I think "student accommodation" allows lower standards too, perhaps? The regs for student accommodation are lower than standard accommodation. Does that make it cheaper to build: probably yes. Does that make it more profitable: I don't particularly see why it would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Imagine if the College Road, Connaught Avenue, Highfield Avenue, Highfield West, etc houses weren't full of students and instead were full of families or non students. They're all extremely nice houses (externally - granted, they're probably small inside, but a lot of people wouldn't care about that) that just need some TLC

That would probably cause a big increase in motor traffic in the area, though.

Moore’s Hotel appealed to An Bord Pleanala

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/307182.htm

Glenveagh application also gone in for Maryborough Ridge. 449 units: 315 houses 134 apartments

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/307041.htm

216 student bed spaces on Orchard Road cleared for application

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/306442.htm

Ford Distribution Centre/Marina Quarter not cleared for application (contrary to previous post)

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/306166.htm

Square Deal unit increase not cleared for application (perhaps this is why it’s back to Plan A)

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/306625.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

That would probably cause a big increase in motor traffic in the area, though.

Many students in the area have cars, so I don't think it would be a huge increase. Traffic to and from UCC and the Bons is the major contributor to traffic in the area.

Using the roads in the area to avoid Dennehy's Cross and to go North/South are other issues......

blindsider wrote: »
    Many students in the area have cars, so I don't think it would be a huge increase. Traffic to and from UCC and the Bons is the major contributor to traffic in the area.

Using the roads in the area to avoid Dennehy's Cross and to go North/South are other issues......

You could potentially say getting more families into the city (rather than suburbian sprawl) would be a good way at reducing overall car dependancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭RINO87

I would think the same... If its a 4 bed student house, you will most likely have 3/4 cars outside it. A family maybe 1/2??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

RINO87 wrote: »
    I would think the same... If its a 4 bed student house, you will most likely have 3/4 cars outside it. A family maybe 1/2??

I have nothing to back this up but I doubt that of the students living in rented accommodation around that area, 75% to 100% of them have cars parked outside! Also, the entire area is disc parking.

I'd say, it's the students from Cork are the ones driving to college.

marno21 wrote: »
    There was CField crews there yesterday when I passed and there's new social distancing signage up. Couldn't see any other noticable progress coming from Anderson's Quay.

Took a stroll there during lunchtime, not too much to report really.

514536.jpg

514537.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,074 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

This is now an all too regular occurrence in the city. Building facades and signs in poor state of repair crumbling into the streetscape.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

This is now an all too regular occurrence in the city. Building facades and signs in poor state of repair crumbling into the streetscape.

Was just about to post it. Really is a disgrace how bad the buildings in the city are. Being left to rot. They really should be inspected at least once a year and if they are too dangerous then be shut down and fixed up within the year.

Apparently it was falling debris and two people were injured? Could also be a false rumour though, it was a comment under the cork safety alerts post. People have been injured in the past though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

careful now , you might upset people with comments that a lot of shops are in a bad state.

Look how some got upset because I mentioned the city is like a ghost town during the day, boarded up shops, traffic congestion, piss poor public transport etc.

Advertisement