Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Lads will someone get on to the businesses in Grafton Street in Dublin and other pedestrianised places around the world and find out what Voodoo magic they use to get deliveries. Apparently it's almost impossible.

Exactly. It's impossible because cork is unique donchaknow...like it's topography :/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Exactly. It's impossible because cork is unique donchaknow...like it's topography :/

Cork, the only city in the world that gets rain and has hills. Fact!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Lads will someone get on to the businesses in Grafton Street in Dublin and other pedestrianised places around the world and find out what Voodoo magic they use to get deliveries. Apparently it's almost impossible.

Its a nice idea to have a whole city centre pedestrianized, but take a pub for example, trucks with kegs would need to be able to deliver, if the street is now for pedestrians only, the deliveries would either have to be made at irregular hours to allow access, or means the poor b@stard delivering the kegs has far more physical work to do. hauling them down a pedestrianised street.

Where did I say it was impossible...oh wait I didn't that was you making stuff up.

I love this world of imagination some people live in, where stuff just magically appears on shops, stores pubs etc, that why places like oliver plunkett street still has the access for traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Okay Ann.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Okay Ann.

Ha ha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

If only there existed some sort of device used for transporting goods from the back of a van or truck to its destination.

Can anyone think of a solution for the poor aul' delivery men that wont be able to park on the doorsteps anymore?

If only there existed some sort of device used for transporting goods from the back of a van or truck to its destination.

Can anyone think of a solution for the poor aul' delivery men that wont be able to park on the doorsteps anymore?

what you are not bright enough to grasp the concept of, if the further away you are able park, the longer each delivery takes, putting aside the extra hassle and obvious labour involved the timing issue in a factor.

I know truck drivers that would leave dublin at 5am to be in cork and have a spot on patrick street from where they would do as many deliveries from that spot, the more streets that would be pedestrianized means deliveries take longer, and truck drivers would not get everything delivered due to time constraints, as drivers have only so many hours they can do before driving home and be within the law with tachographs .

That means a lot of stuff will not be delivered or they would have to send extra trucks to compensate, which costs more money, and if the company is paying out more, the delivery charges rise...its basic economics, and the shops paying more for deliveries, would in turn have to pass on the cost to the customer.

No one said it was impossible to do deliveries, but before streets are pedestrianized there are multiple factors to be taken in to consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

No one said it was impossible to do deliveries, but before streets are pedestrianized there are multiple factors to be taken in to consideration.

Absolutely. This is a totally reasonable thing to say.
    But you can say "there are multiple factors to be taken into consideration" for absolutely anything you don't feel like doing.

"Taking factors into consideration" turned out to be extremely quick and easy when they wanted to de-pedestrianise an area. Arguably making it less safe for pedestrians (safety issue created). But it takes years when they want to pedestrianise areas (safety improved).

Arguably, with electric pallet trucks it's actually easier than ever to deliver in pedestrianised areas. And some traders are actively petitioning the council - as a collective - to pedestrianise their street, but the council refuses.

Sometimes when it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck, and quacks...

And again, this is really off topic tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,840 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Perhaps a system could be devised where a full keg could be strapped to the delevery guy's back. He could be encouraged by whippings from cyclists for having the temerity to drive a mechanically propelled vehicle for a living.

That's what us whingers want.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,840 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Okay Ann.

Perhaps it's Terry, we are talking to.

I think Ann might show a little more intelligence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,303 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Its all well and good saying pedestrianize this street and that street, people forget that for people to shop, the shops need to replace stock and that means deliveries will be harder.

Again all well and good telling people to deliver at all hours of the morning, but any person now that works doing deliveries, are not going to work new ungodly hours unless they get compensated.
    Any guy that was doing 9-5 is not going to start at midnight to be finished before 9am for the same wage.
    If the companies have to pay the staff more, deliveries will cost more, items will increase for the customer.

Likewise this notion that cycle lanes is going to solve problems is another fantasy, thats all well and good in the city and most of the southside, but what good are cycle lanes for those living in the northside of the city like Knocka, churchfield and mayfield.

Who wants to cycle up them hills on a pissy wet winters morning cycle lane of not. The priority should be improving public transport first.

***placeholder for some cork person to complain that I must not be from cork because I was negative and never used a capital c ***

Deliveries are generally out of trading hours anyway. It's quite common across aurope and now in Dublin for smaller shops to get their deliveries by electric cargo bikes.

St Patrick's Hill could have this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j1PgmMbug8

Have some vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,303 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It's not actually about deliveries or about the disabled drivers, it's about rat-runners that like convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Apogee

cgcsb wrote: »

Have some vision.

As you mention Patrick's Hill...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭RINO87

Its a nice idea to have a whole city centre pedestrianized, but take a pub for example, trucks with kegs would need to be able to deliver, if the street is now for pedestrians only, the deliveries would either have to be made at irregular hours to allow access, or means the poor b@stard delivering the kegs has far more physical work to do. hauling them down a pedestrianised street.

Where did I say it was impossible...oh wait I didn't that was you making stuff up.

I love this world of imagination some people live in, where stuff just magically appears on shops, stores pubs etc, that why places like oliver plunkett street still has the access for traffic

Shop st. and Quay street in Galway, both pedestrianized, have some of the busiest pubs in the country - I used to work in one, we got our kegs, loads of them, delivered right to the door every week before 10 am without trouble. Its a non issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

cgcsb wrote: »

Have some vision.

Great idea but can you imagine the compo claims!!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

RINO87 wrote: »
    Shop st. and Quay street in Galway, both pedestrianized, have some of the busiest pubs in the country - I used to work in one, we got our kegs, loads of them, delivered right to the door every week before 10 am without trouble. Its a non issue.

Back in my pre-Covid-19 early morning commuting days, I used to see the Guinness delivery lorry driving down Marlboro Street from Patrick Street several mornings a week. Must have been a mirage.

And the delivery vans driving down Princes Street from Patrick Street to get to the English Market entrance were all figments of my imagination. Just like the ones that would drive either way up or down Winthrop Street - phantoms they were.

RINO87 wrote: »
    of course its not.

The point I made that most ignorant people have ignored was the people who previously worked regular hours, would have to work new hours and changing peoples hours to unsociable working hours does not always work out.

I know as I worked for a distribution company for many years, and was well aware of the implications. I never once said deliveries could not be done.

All well and good making blanket statements of pedestrianize street and have deliveries done at night or all done before 8am or whatever, but the costs would eventually be passed on.

of course its not.

The point I made that most ignorant people have ignored was the people who previously worked regular hours, would have to work new hours and changing peoples hours to unsociable working hours does not always work out.

I know as I worked for a distribution company for many years, and was well aware of the implications. I never once said deliveries could not be done.

All well and good making blanket statements of pedestrianize street and have deliveries done at night or all done before 8am or whatever, but the costs would eventually be passed on.

But it happens elsewhere and is a non issue in Shop St in Galway, Grafton Street in Dublin and many more besides. Cork isn't special. In fact as pointed out there are businesses on fully pedestrianised streets in Cork already: Winthrop St, Pana end of Princes St, Marlborough St and Cook St, French Church St, Carey's Lane etc! They all seem to manage to get deliveries. Complete non issue!!

I never said it was.

Careful with statements like that though that cork is not special.....you will upset some people.
    oops...I forgot to capitalize the "c" ...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Perhaps a system could be devised where a full keg could be strapped to the delevery guy's back. He could be encouraged by whippings from cyclists for having the temerity to drive a mechanically propelled vehicle for a living.

That's what us whingers want.

To be fair ,if the loading bays aren't full of cars then the trucks aren't abandoned on the footpaths and bike/bus lanes , although the bigger the bays get ,the bigger the lorrys get ... !!! ( I've had artic's turn up in difficult locations in town )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

snotboogie wrote: »
    Work started back up on the Crows Nest today. Demolition seems to be ongoing at the York Street hotel too.

I think this sign I passed earlier says it all!

513779.jpg

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/plans-for-exhibition-centre-on-outskirts-of-cork-are-shot-down-1000940.html

The Munster Agricultural Society plans for an exhibition centre out in Curraheen got shot down by ABP.

Munster-Ag.-Society.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/plans-for-exhibition-centre-on-outskirts-of-cork-are-shot-down-1000940.html

The Munster Agricultural Society plans for an exhibition centre out in Curraheen got shot down by ABP.

Munster-Ag.-Society.jpg

"The Bórd said it took into account the site's "unserviced remote rural location"

That's quite an interesting statement to make considering the area is now part of Cork City Council after the boundary extension. I think it's a bit mad that so many of us are now considered city dwellers and we don't even have access to mains water or sewerage, never mind public transport...

Will the City Council remember us rural dwellers, or will they just focus on the city centre. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

FrStone wrote: »
    "The Bórd said it took into account the site's "unserviced remote rural location"

That's quite an interesting statement to make considering the area is now part of Cork City Council after the boundary extension. I think it's a bit mad that so many of us are now considered city dwellers and we don't even have access to mains water or sewerage, never mind public transport...

Will the City Council remember us rural dwellers, or will they just focus on the city centre. Time will tell.

I was more interested that ABP referred to the greenbelt to be honest.
    It seems to be the case that the greenbelt is being preserved in the medium term at least.

You guys might all have known this already but it was news to me.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

New website for the latest revision of the Bandon Road/O'Riordan's Joinery scheme:

http://www.bandonroadshd.ie/

The latest application includes demolishing 1 & 2 Ardnacarrig and 74 Bandon Road (the butchers) and bringing the development right out to the road front.

More student accommodation! Each of these developments only further highlights the complete lack of city centre developments to cater for non student housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

After passing the Prism site every day this week. I didn't see anything happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

Back at work on the Edel House extension & the refurb in the Lee Maltings complex.

513882.jpg

513883.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭blindsider

marno21 wrote: »
    New website for the latest revision of the Bandon Road/O'Riordan's Joinery scheme:

http://www.bandonroadshd.ie/

The latest application includes demolishing 1 & 2 Ardnacarrig and 74 Bandon Road (the butchers) and bringing the development right out to the road front.

The shop and the pub will love that! They'll make a fortune!

• Advertisement

Advertisement