Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

Apogee wrote: »
    Potentially a big increase in traffic up Sunday's Well. I wonder if they will seek a new access road?

Can't attach a image to explain better but never understood why a 200m road from the dip in the road just before you turn left for apple (coming from Blarney) down to the lee road was never built. It's not that steep and it would save a lot of stress for Bus Drivers and truck drivers and act as a temporary relief until we get the North Ring Road in 50 years time. It could serve as a entrance to this estate and would take most of the through traffic heading for UCC, Wilton etc

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

I cant picture the route youre talking about, but live not far from there so interested, would you be able to mark a map?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

bingo9999 wrote: »
    I cant picture the route youre talking about, but live not far from there so interested, would you be able to mark a map?

I think just after the road merges onto the old road? it dips slightly there...could probably run a road through the 4 or 5 (?) fields on the right that would bring you out by Atkins hall/River towers

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The Northern Distributor Road will follow a route like that, a little to the west

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Cork_Met_Area_Transport_Stategy_web_Part_1_Part8.pdf

I can see people being unhappy about ploughing a 4 lane road through the Lee Fields though.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

Hopefully that works https://www.google.com/maps/d/drive?state=%7B%22ids%22%3A%5B%221u51L7FSriEs7GbWmLoWvsqQVNqoM3b-p%22%5D%2C%22action%22%3A%22open%22%2C%22userId%22%3A%22111906926967082598798%22%7D&usp=sharing

Basically try to move as much traffic away from Shanakil as possible. It's no way suitable for the traffic it takes!

And someones comment about the lee fields, I'd be against cutting across the lee fields too. IF there was going to be a bridge I'd want to see it pushed out as far as possible from the lee fields. (marked in purple on the map). Don't think it's really needed at the moment though in comparsion to the pressure on Shanakil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I see city council unveiled the winning design for the revamped Bishop Lucey Park.

Some crowd for putting new park plans down on paper but actual delivery of those plans is definitely not their forté.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭major interest

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I see city council unveiled the winning design for the revamped Bishop Lucey Park.

Some crowd for putting new park plans down on paper but actual delivery of those plans is definitely not their forté.

Opening up of the south Main Street side would definitely be welcome. Not sure about that sculpture though!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Paving over yet more green space? They're doing the same in Douglas Park, anything to reduce maintenance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

https://youtu.be/RiUOS5fHn-4

Not sure if posted here before but this YouTube page has various videos of Cork City made with Cities Skyline Software. Some really cool stuff there that might be of interest to some of ye.

Very few of the major buildings bear any resemblance to the actual ones, take a look at at the Holy Trinity church, the Opera House and the Crawford next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

namloc1980 wrote: »

Looks like something from the former Soviet Union.
    Awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Looks like something from the former Soviet Union.
    Awful.

It's completely dreadful. All that park needed was a bit of TLC. Some flowers, powerhosing and repairing of some of the existing pathways would've been nice.

Yeah agreed - those walls are heritage and 'stately', I wouldnt want to see those chucked. Yes open up the park but would say doing that via the laneway side, and shifting the coffee down down a bit (to where they need to fix the rotting wood hole anyway).

All it needs is to fill in the hole (/fountain) inside the main gates so its not a big blocker right as you walk in, spruce it up as has been said, and add some scope for active use/ public oversight in there so its not primarily a place to smoke weed - like add food or coffee trucks and have more regular rangers/gardai in and out.

All it needs is to fill in the hole (/fountain) inside the main gates so its not a big blocker right as you walk in,

You mean the excavation revealing the old city walls???

TheChizler wrote: »

I honestly didn't know what that was, is there even a plaque there to tell you what it is?

I thought the new thing was to give us more green areas, not covering them up with paving slabs. Anyhow, we will have a nice Ukrainian bus shelter if things go as planned.

I honestly didn't know what that was, is there even a plaque there to tell you what it is?

I thought the new thing was to give us more green areas, not covering them up with paving slabs. Anyhow, we will have a nice Ukrainian bus shelter if things go as planned.
    https://www.buildingsofireland.ie/buildings-search/building/20514109/city-wall-grand-parade-cork-city-cork-city-cork-city

I'm not sure there is a sign or anything so you'd be forgiven for not knowing. Agreed we need more green spaces not less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Honestly didn't know those were the old city walls either, thought it was just an ugly pool of water. That really should be advertised more, could be a great tourist part of it was kept clean.

That park gets over run with pigeons though. There's so many.

TheChizler wrote: »

I actually just mean the park walls and fences, had no idea the old city walls were there either. I always thought it was a crap a 80s fountain!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Speaking of that park, was I dreaming or used here be full time security inside there a few years back? I ask because almost every single time I go in to that park there is a large group of junkies and drunks in that corner to the left of the main gate. Id love to sit down and eat a sandwich on the benches but I just couldnt be listening to the screaming or watching the open drug dealing. Why do the Guards not move these guys on? This should be a beautiful city center park but its nothing but a drinking/shooting spot for junkies at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

CHealy wrote: »
    Speaking of that park, was I dreaming or used here be full time security inside there a few years back? I ask because almost every single time I go in to that park there is a large group of junkies and drunks in that corner to the left of the main gate. Id love to sit down and eat a sandwich on the benches but I just couldnt be listening to the screaming or watching the open drug dealing. Why do the Guards not move these guys on? This should be a beautiful city center park but its nothing but a drinking/shooting spot for junkies at the moment.

and an open toilet for them

It's a complete waste of money, when all this unnecessary crap goes up, it will revert back to drug den, open toilet, shoot up central. Would rather the money were spent on bringing what's there up to standard and security instead of another vanity project.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

igCorcaigh wrote: »

If the objectors are traders then we know whose voice will get listened to.

Pedestrianisation on pause then for two weeks.

Opening up of the south Main Street side would definitely be welcome. Not sure about that sculpture though!

I don't like this plan much.
    Too much green areas given over to paving.

What is the purpose of the big red thing by the city walls? Just visual??

What is that thing at the back with steps?? Hideous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

https://twitter.com/EoinBearla/status/1270040568652091393?s=19

Bizarre. Des and Terry seem to be lashing out at anyone who raises concerns around cycling in Cork.

Des also blocked a load of people last night on Twitter (including volunteer reimagine Cork accounts like WhatIfCork) who were politely asking questions around Cork's slow approach to implementing pedestrian and cycling measures...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Des and particularly Terry are clowns of the highest order.

Terry drove to the marina with his bike in the back for a PR stunt when they announced the pedestrianisation of it a month ago. Hopped on the saddle for a few photos and a short video, then put the bike away in to the car again and drove home. Probably hasn't been on a bike since he was a teenager. A total chancer with no interest beyond what fills his own pockets.

I asked Des about delays with infrastructure once and he went off on a tirade about the greens out of nowhere. It was a strange encounter. He talks the big talk but delivers very little.

Des, to his small credit, is often seen cycling down the marina on his own. I've definitely cycled past him on 2 occasions. I doubt he goes beyond the marina, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭RINO87

It's a complete waste of money, when all this unnecessary crap goes up, it will revert back to drug den, open toilet, shoot up central. Would rather the money were spent on bringing what's there up to standard and security instead of another vanity project.

This happens so often in this country. How much is wasted on shiny new busses etc without sorting out the actual service first... Its infuriating

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    What is that thing at the back with steps?? Hideous.

Hopefully it's a gallows so the architect and whoever approved this can be strung up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

RINO87 wrote: »
    This happens so often in this country. How much is wasted on shiny new busses etc without sorting out the actual service first... Its infuriating

Well there is a practical reason for the shiny new buses and that is the rule that no bus operating on PSO route can be more than 20 years old, also there is of course the newer cleaner engines than those from the last few generations that were spewing out fumes.

But i certainly agree on the service

Advertisement