Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Ah lads, imagine an all Irish EP, everyone who's anyone on the Irish music scene, past present and future, all the crews, first big weekend of freedom for everyone. It would be epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭endainoz

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Ah lads, imagine an all Irish EP, everyone who's anyone on the Irish music scene, past present and future, all the crews, first big weekend of freedom for everyone. It would be epic.

It surely would, one can dream!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

endainoz wrote: »
    I had forgotten myself until this morning!

Anyone care to take a guess at the headliners for the craic? Assuming it does happen of course, I think they would be really difficult to predict. I know they said they wanted to bring similar to last year's but who knows how many of that will be retained.

I'd imagine there will be a good amount of crossover with Reading/Leeds headliners if travel is allowed.

Probably a decent chance it ends up an all-Irish affair, which I think would be quite cool. I'd certainly say yes to it if offered now that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Thats the thing, will all these international acts fly over for just 2 shows(R&L)? Now i know its still 6 months to the festival but unless other countries have the same % vaccinated so they could do a festival/show in that country etc will most come over just for one weekend.

Most of the acts announced for R&L so far are British, and Post Malone and QOTSA are no doubt being paid enough to make it worthwhile. After that, it's a lot less likely.

I'd imagine the vast majority that will be announced later will be British too, and wouldn't be surprised if the lineup was slimmed down a bit. I'd imagine it'll still sell out without a few of the smaller stages...

Maybe some international acts that can travel relatively light and hop back on a plane the next day (eg. DJs), but I wouldn't be expecting many mid-size/small bands from the US to be coming over for a weekend as with crew, gear requirements, it probably wouldn't be worth their while.

READING21_Line-up_3rd-Anno_Approved_Square-900x900.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

It surely would, one can dream!

helloooooo!
    9VnOdyU.jpg

• Advertisement

helloooooo!
    9VnOdyU.jpg

Electric Ireland, here we come. It takes all kinds of everything, Scruff.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The bagatelle tributes will be amazing. The one time that people will be allowed to use the D word from the stage in Stradbally

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Most of the acts announced for R&L so far are British, and Post Malone and QOTSA are no doubt being paid enough to make it worthwhile. After that, it's a lot less likely.

I'd imagine the vast majority that will be announced later will be British too, and wouldn't be surprised if the lineup was slimmed down a bit. I'd imagine it'll still sell out without a few of the smaller stages...

Maybe some international acts that can travel relatively light and hop back on a plane the next day (eg. DJs), but I wouldn't be expecting many mid-size/small bands from the US to be coming over for a weekend as with crew, gear requirements, it probably wouldn't be worth their while.

READING21_Line-up_3rd-Anno_Approved_Square-900x900.jpg

Wolf Alice with a new single out today, fully expect them to play at R&L.

If EP goes ahead it will be a strange situation, all willing UK citizens should be vaccinated by then.
    UK acts shouldn't have a fear of flying into Ireland, if vaccinated we shouldn't fear them coming here. So my view is if we're open, they will be too!.

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Wolf Alice with a new single out today, fully expect them to play at R&L.

If EP goes ahead it will be a strange situation, all willing UK citizens should be vaccinated by then.
    UK acts shouldn't have a fear of flying into Ireland, if vaccinated we shouldn't fear them coming here. So my view is if we're open, they will be too!.

Yeah we'll follow the UK like we normally do anyway. We even followed them into a doomed system of calculated grades.

Good forecasts for rollout of vaccines across the EU:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/health-pharma/eu-likely-to-approve-j-j-vaccine-in-early-march-1.4495931%3fmode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Yeah we'll follow the UK like we normally do anyway. We even followed them into a doomed system of calculated grades.

Good forecasts for rollout of vaccines across the EU:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/health-pharma/eu-likely-to-approve-j-j-vaccine-in-early-march-1.4495931%3fmode=amp

I really am clinging onto the fact that 92% of covid deaths were over the age of 65. So when this age group is fully vaccinated a huge amount of risk has been removed. Covid will still exist but wont be a threat.

Interesting comments from Dr. Ciara Kelly.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=469288951144842

• Advertisement

Fatfrog wrote: »
    I really am clinging onto the fact that 92% of covid deaths were over the age of 65. So when this age group is fully vaccinated a huge amount of risk has been removed. Covid will still exist but wont be a threat.

Interesting comments from Dr. Ciara Kelly.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=469288951144842

Oh yeah that's "well, I'm a doctor" Ciara Kelly. She really annoys me, actually most of newstalk does. I do agree though, once the strain on hospitals is taken off things should improve. The one thing that could ruin that however is the new variants and how they could affect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Boylesports bookies have priced up certain events allowing over 5,000 people attending this year and Electric Picnic is a 7/2 shot.
    Not that they know any more than the rest of us but that's not great news.

book.jpg

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Boylesports bookies have priced up certain events allowing over 5,000 people attending this year and Electric Picnic is a 7/2 shot.
    Not that they know any more than the rest of us but that's not great news.

book.jpg

Might as well be a novelty bet at this stage. Means nothing really. Might be worth a punt in a couple of months though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Catherine posted this in the Electric Picnic volunteers and All Together Now Facebook groups, an 18 minute podcast with Claire Byrne interviewing music promoters and festival organisers. Entitled: When Might we expect music festivals to return?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Catherine posted this in the Electric Picnic volunteers Facebook group, an 18 minute podcast with Claire Byrne interviewing music promoters and festival organisers. Entitled: When Might we expect music festivals to return?

Section on rte news about it on shortly too.

Section on rte news about it on shortly too.

Well that didn't shed much light.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

So Clare Byrne headlining the throwback stage on the saturday. Not the news I was hoping for, but ill take it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Well that didn't shed much light.

Second run at it now on RTE news.....has Leo went from open the pubs to bring on the picnic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭showpony1

Is anyone going to attempt to go to R&L?
    i see they have Pink Moon over there also.

showpony1 wrote: »

The idea of international travel for a holiday at this point is still a bit far off for me anyway. Festivals or not, I think domestic tourism will be badly needed in Ireland this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

*As soon as it is safe* to travel and/or go to gigs, absolutely nothing will stop me from going...

Who knows where things will be in 3 months.

The idea of international travel for a holiday at this point is still a bit far off for me anyway. Festivals or not, I think domestic tourism will be badly needed in Ireland this summer.

The frustrating thing is that aribnbs etc are already jacking up their prices. I suppose ya cant blame them in a way, but its irritating

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

showpony1 wrote: »

I wouldn't travel internationally for a while. The UK has handled this pandemic incredibly badly (worst excess death rate on the planet) and I'd not trust them to avoid another debacle with re-opening.

R&L is a 17/18 year old 'A' Level students playground. You remember when Oxegen was messy? Well this is Oxegen unleashed to the nth degree.

The only time I went (2004) was enough, and the music was decent back then also (Morrissey, White Stripes, New York Dolls, Super Furries, British Sea Power, Supergrass, etc, etc). This year I cannot find a single acct I would want to see.

And I know I'm sitting on the fence here, but it's likely I'll not be going.

The frustrating thing is that aribnbs etc are already jacking up their prices. I suppose ya cant blame them in a way, but its irritating

Sad to hear that. I'd have hoped that many, if not most of them had gone back onto the long-term rental market and reduced prices for people. Naive of me or some of that happened?

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Sad to hear that. I'd have hoped that many, if not most of them had gone back onto the long-term rental market and reduced prices for people. Naive of me or some of that happened?

It's a hard one really, I have no idea how airbnb's would even be advertising at this point. My guess is that they're the ones in for a quick buck. Bargains will be around in the future for sure, but it would be a bit silly even thinking about booking anything just yet. The ones that deserve it by not gouging people will really need it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭rubick

389855.jpg?b64lines=IAogV0hFTiBETyBXRSBHRVQgVEhFCiBGUkVBS0lOJyBUZW50IGNhbnM_ISA=

And it's small solace really but should EP not be happening then Arab Strap at Vicar St that same weekend may still go ahead. New album sounding great.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/arab-strap-older-wiser-and-still-miserable-1.4493959

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭rubick

Never seen the Arab Strap but did see Malcolm Middleton back in 2009 in the Black Box, Belfast when he was touring Waxing Gibbous. Introduced himself by stating that he "wasn't a miserabalist" before kicking into a rake of tunes I'd never heard before. Was a great gig!

Seathrun66 wrote: »

Hard to say. There's a big variety of prices across the country. I think a lot of people just don't want to go to the hassle of meeting people, cleaning out the premises (though they should've been doing that anyway) and otherwise handling stuff that comes with short term lets during covid.

Also the campsites were mostly closed last year because they didn't want to / couldn't keep the communal toilets/shower areas clean.

Anyways, if I have to find a ditch somewhere to pitch my tent and drink a bag o cans, by the lords of Stradbally I will do just that.

• Advertisement

https://youtu.be/ZUTu65AXrJw

This legend released a new single

Advertisement