Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    You're denying yourself time at the best festival this country has ever had, and one that's amongst the very best in Europe by my reckoning.

You've clearly never been to Boomtown Fair

<thread aggression intensifies>

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

You've clearly never been to Boomtown Fair

<thread aggression intensifies>

Are they not both allowed to be amongst the best in Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,140 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Are they not both allowed to be amongst the best in Europe?

Now now, they *all* have lovely bottoms..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Fatfrog wrote: »
    I must say for me Sunday is usually the best and most enjoyable day, I think my mind and body has stabilised after the onslaught of excitement, sleep deprivation, + possibly after acting like a 20 year old on Friday night. Also Sunday is 12 pm to 12 am non-stop, even if you dont have clashes everywhere its ram packed with acts, I cant walk more the 100m with being pulled in. Plus the eating/food, 60km on the legs, ravaged with hunger!! :)
    I understand everyone has different circumstances, but I wouldn't dream of "holding back" on Sunday or heading home Sunday/night.

I like the Sundays as well for the exact same reason, but I do get slightly miffed that there is usually a major Sunday eve headliner clash. I grt that they sell day tickets for the Sundays so usually keep the big draw till then, but you really want the band youve most been looking forward to, or a real high energy gig, on a Friday or Saturday night

I like the Sundays as well for the exact same reason, but I do get slightly miffed that there is usually a major Sunday eve headliner clash. I grt that they sell day tickets for the Sundays so usually keep the big draw till then, but you really want the band youve most been looking forward to, or a real high energy gig, on a Friday or Saturday night

Same here, most of my best days at EP have been Sundays. The hassle to get there and the excitement of the Fridays usually result in some form of carnage and I'm kinda recovered by Sunday at which stage a mellowness descends over the fields. Though slow pints and no rush to get anywhere usually results in the biggest alcohol intake of the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭desk tidy

I get a slight tinge of last day melancholy on the Sunday. It's a wee ball in the back of my mind that appears as soon as I get up and gets bigger as the day goes on.

The little flattened grass patches of departed tents always get me on the Sunday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭endainoz

desk tidy wrote: »
    I get a slight tinge of last day melancholy on the Sunday. It's a wee ball in the back of my mind that appears as soon as I get up and gets bigger as the day goes on.

The little flattened grass patches of departed tents always get me on the Sunday too.

Yeah that slight tinge is reality coming back, I'm always pretty tired by midnight Sunday and am quite conscious of having to drive back home the next morning so usually don't go too mad. I could never get how so many people are still going mad late into the Sunday nights, guess they aren't the designated driver the day after!

An honorable mention for that first shower you have once you get in the door home mid Monday afternoon, best shower you'll have all year.

endainoz wrote: »
    Yeah that slight tinge is reality coming back, I'm always pretty tired by midnight Sunday and am quite conscious of having to drive back home the next morning so usually don't go too mad. I could never get how so many people are still going mad late into the Sunday nights, guess they aren't the designated driver the day after!

An honorable mention for that first shower you have once you get in the door home mid Monday afternoon, best shower you'll have all year.

Yeah when we used to camp in Hendrix we'd usually pass a party or two still in full swing somewhere as we trudged back out to the car.

That shower is hard to beat alright. Followed by the soundest sleep of the year!

It's not driven by rationality. Work seems a long long way off at 2am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

To be fair, nothing beats the Friday for me. That first can after you’ve set the tent up (or not with pink moon in later years). The sound of the first bands off in the distance as your crew assemble and the beers start to hit. The stroll into the site on top of the world as your weekend begins in earnest. Just giving it full socks as you know all you have to do tomorrow is get up and do the same!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Le Bruise wrote: »
    To be fair, nothing beats the Friday for me. That first can after you’ve set the tent up (or not with pink moon in later years). The sound of the first bands off in the distance as your crew assemble and the beers start to hit. The stroll into the site on top of the world as your weekend begins in earnest. Just giving it full socks as you know all you have to do tomorrow is get up and do the same!!:)

I'm with you, Le Bruise. Friday all the way for me. Is there a better feeling all year? A quiet pint on the benches across from the food stalls, waiting for Body and Soul to open up, people watching, perusing Pablo's app, planning the evening, everything stretching in front of you. God's in his heaven etc.

Le Bruise wrote: »

Yeah same here. My battery runs down very fast so I try to make the most of the first 24 hours. We get there for gates opening on the Thursday these days so by 5/6pm we're set up and tucking into the hallowed first can at the tent.

The crack of the first can, the whistle of airbed pumps everywhere, fresh springy grass, all the excited chats. It never gets old for me. That first bit of calm when everything's set up and you sit soaking it all in, ah. A great feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Really enjoying the last few pages of posts!! It’s what it’s all about

I’m torn between Friday and Sunday as my favourite days. I run out of steam usually on the Saturday due to my over indulgences the day before. While yes that first can at the campsite is just amazing and then walking into the arena for the first time ugh bliss....but....sunday afternoon after seeing Dublin gospel choir...I’m merry on beers on my way to kelly Ann byrne for the afternoon set in Bacardi bar...dancing away the rest of the day waiting for mother djs to close it all

God I miss it

Rfrip wrote: »
    Really enjoying the last few pages of posts!! It’s what it’s all about

I’m torn between Friday and Sunday as my favourite days. I run out of steam usually on the Saturday due to my over indulgences the day before. While yes that first can at the campsite is just amazing and then walking into the arena for the first time ugh bliss....but....sunday afternoon after seeing Dublin gospel choir...I’m merry on beers on my way to kelly Ann byrne for the afternoon set in Bacardi bar...dancing away the rest of the day waiting for mother djs to close it all

God I miss it

I think we're building up to a bit of a binge in September 2022.

I think we're building up to a bit of a binge in September 2022.

The Boards meetup gets so raucous we sink the salty dog.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea nothing beats the Friday, getting up early dreading carrying all the bags/tent/beer etc from the bus/car park. The walk from the Paintball Entrance to Salty Dog seems so long when carrying everything in.
    Find the spot, through the bag down on the floor, pitching the tent, putting all the gear in. Walk outside sit in the chair (that will inevitably break before Sunday)and hear that first can open followed by the first sip is definitely my top moment ha.

You know its showtime, although the last year I went 2018 we went Pink Moon and ill never go back to normal camping. We usually start going for a wander around straight away which usually takes us to the Salty Dog. Usually I go hard on Friday/Saturday because on Sunday no matter how much I drink I just cant get drunk, its as if my body is telling me no while I drink €7 pints ha. At least on the Sunday I always start the Sunday with the Dublin Gospel Choir which is always nice especially when the weather is dry/warm.

desk tidy wrote: »
    The Boards meetup gets so raucous we sink the salty dog.

I think the meetup is heading towards the Thursday.

Lads the last few posts have given me a warm fuzzy feeling. That vibe early Fridays though, you can't beat it, that smell of squashed grass is so distinctive, and of course the airbed pumping hiss noise coming from every direction.

We will all return, soon.

Lads the last few posts have given me a warm fuzzy feeling. That vibe early Fridays though, you can't beat it, that smell of squashed grass is so distinctive, and of course the airbed pumping hiss noise coming from every direction.

We will all return, soon.

100%. Lovely to chat and reminisce with kindred spirits. Makes the next one seem not so far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Stillill42

facebook_1567362295737~2.jpg

I expect a vastly increased posse in 2022, folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

First and Last

First...

All the talk of the first act you saw made me did out the old photos as I can't actually remember.

First stepped foot in Stradbally on the Friday of 2010 and I would have been wandering all over the site with an 11 year old in tow. I remember being blown away with the amount to see. Can't remember who we saw early evening, but from the photos we were at Roxy Music. PIL and Duke Special (all at the same time according to clashfinder !) and hung around a bit at Arcadia.

Now that I look at clashfinder, I am sad to see how much I missed. I only bought the ticket a week before after a few years of wanting to go and I hadn't done enough research.

Last...

About 4.30am Monday 2nd Sept 2019, and they had just literally pulled the plug on Cian Finn in Trenchtown and he was shouting thanks and goodbye from the stage at the top of his voice.

A lot of memories in between and a lot more to come.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

First i think was Grandmaster Flash in 2004. Memories are very vague, but I had my fun, and thats all that matters. I think he was en route to some other location in Europe and hadnt a scoobie doo where he was, but no one seemed to mind.

Last was Pogueology at the Salty Dog in 2018, which was terrific and so much fun after, im sorry to say, the dissappointment that was the Prodigy!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

2005 will always stick for me, frothing at the mouth for the lineup at 145 Euros, I couldn't resist. Went up on the Friday as I recall for the opening early for camping as it was a two day fest. There was the Chai Tea tent for entertainment which was a really good build up for the event ending with a full blown rave into the early hours. It was quite exciting to be there before the live action kicked off on Saturday and would mirror my volunteer involvement which also started pre-fest. Human League, Stereo MC's, Goldfrapp in the Electric Arena, Kraftwerk, a bit of Fat Boy Slim and Body&Soul. Royksopp and Sunday afternoon with the Herbaliser, followed by Toots & the Maytals and then LCD Soundsystem. Caught a bit of Nick Cave, Asian Dub Foundation, a bit of 2ManyDJs It was a great weekend. Missed 2006 but from 2007 onward it was like clockwork.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Just read a pile of posts as havent been on for a while. All those memories and talk about EP made me smile and sad at the same time that could be a while before we can add to them. First festival for me was 2012, 40th present from my wife as the Cure were playing. Was such a novice, found the programme recently and sick at how much i missed but the Cure were brilliant and i caught the bug for EP and so much better now at planning now. Love walking in on the Friday and out of sheer excitement always overdo it on the Friday so Saturday hard work. Sundays always great as great bands and a lift in energy as recovered from the Friday. . Roll on the next memory maker.

Stillill42 wrote: »
    facebook_1567362295737~2.jpg

I expect a vastly increased posse in 2022, folks.

And hopefully less reminiscent of an indie lads stag party.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭RINO87

I actually haven't been to the picnic in a few years, but some of the recent posts really took me back. Went every year between 2005-2013 and then boat and soul and atn took over for us...

But it's been great reading everyone's memories, and at times I actually found it pretty hard, had to stop a few times and come back to it. All in its made me very grateful to have experienced every single second of every festival I've been to, from my first Witnness 2003 right up to ATN 2019...
    It was only reading this thread that I realise this is now over half my life.... Jesus I cannot wait to be back

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kepler21

Inspired by the posts here, I went back over the Clashfinders for the previous yeas, and got both excited, nostalgic and sad. Some amazing acts, some horrible clashes. I would probably make most of the same choices again in who to see.

2012 was my first year. I had been working a lot and built up a bunch of holidays, and persuaded my wife to let me go on my own and 'get it out of my system' (she had no great interest in music). Drove down Friday, set up the tent in the rain, and phoned her from the tent. Absolutely no sympathy for the rain :). Fortunately it cleared up soon after that. I was blown away by the whole experience, and am still 'getting it out of my system'.

I usually drive home midnight on Sunday mostly as I don't want to take an extra day holidays just to pack up and come home. I generally don't have to interact with many people on the Monday, so can suffer quietly at my desk. I'll have a couple of pints on Sunday, but stop by 6pm. The biggest issue usually on Sunday is that my feet are battered after walking so much, so I end up in places where I can sit and chill instead of wander around. Tiny Tea Tent is a favourite.

Packing up the tent Sunday morning and sticking it in the car is a real pain, but it means I can just walk out of the arena at midnight and hop into the car; in bed before 2am. The Sunday clashes kill me though; last time was Florence and the Machine, Michael Kiwanuka and Courtney Barnett, all at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/DuDX6wNfjqc

I'm just gonna throw this here with no context

Edit: Split confirmed by their publicist......

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pitchfork.com/news/daft-punk-call-it-quits/amp/

Lads I'm a bit devastated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭rubick

*updates spreadsheet*

Think that's a TBC for Stradbally at best folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Kepler21 wrote: »
    Inspired by the posts here, I went back over the Clashfinders for the previous yeas, and got both excited, nostalgic and sad. Some amazing acts, some horrible clashes. I would probably make most of the same choices again in who to see.

2012 was my first year. I had been working a lot and built up a bunch of holidays, and persuaded my wife to let me go on my own and 'get it out of my system' (she had no great interest in music). Drove down Friday, set up the tent in the rain, and phoned her from the tent. Absolutely no sympathy for the rain :). Fortunately it cleared up soon after that. I was blown away by the whole experience, and am still 'getting it out of my system'.

I usually drive home midnight on Sunday mostly as I don't want to take an extra day holidays just to pack up and come home. I generally don't have to interact with many people on the Monday, so can suffer quietly at my desk. I'll have a couple of pints on Sunday, but stop by 6pm. The biggest issue usually on Sunday is that my feet are battered after walking so much, so I end up in places where I can sit and chill instead of wander around. Tiny Tea Tent is a favourite.

Packing up the tent Sunday morning and sticking it in the car is a real pain, but it means I can just walk out of the arena at midnight and hop into the car; in bed before 2am. The Sunday clashes kill me though; last time was Florence and the Machine, Michael Kiwanuka and Courtney Barnett, all at the same time.

Each to their own, but have beers until 6pm then drive home @12!! No way I could do that, I'm sure you have paced and are under the limit etc, but me personally I'd need a kip!

Advertisement