Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

nc6000 wrote: »
    The UK have almost 550,000 people who have had their second dose - we have 91,000.

Their population is almost fourteen times that of ours. We've given the full dose to more than twice the number of people per capita than the UK.

Am I being kinda trolled here, it's not hard to grasp. Read the article please.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Their population is almost fourteen times that of ours. We've given the full dose to more than twice the number of people per capita than the UK.

Am I being kinda trolled here, it's not hard to grasp. Read the article please.

Also I think with the UK they are nearly waiting for the 12 week mark before they start people on the 2nd dose which could cause an issue in the long run imo. Even though we may be slightly behind at least we are rolling ahead with two doses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Wooderson

First thing I saw at EP in 2005 was either Stereo MCs on the main stage or (more likely) Goldfrapp in the Electric Arena. That Sat night was pretty stellar. Arcade Fire->FLips->Kraftwerk->Fatboy. We were able to park so close that year also. Amazing, really. Sunday lunchtime following day was the only time I got to see Clor. One of those shows from Stradbally I hold very dear to this day.

Fatfrog wrote: »
    I had thought about it briefly, but swiftly slapped and told myself to cop on!

In all seriousness, had considered ticket refund but for me the cost has been well absorbed and forgotten by now. I am slightly paranoid about the gig starvation over the past year, when they eventually return we may see higher demand (Huge personal savings accumulated during covid)+ industry costs (Air fares + but many related businesses may go/gone bust) possibly resulting in higher ticket costs.
    Theres a risk of a much ****er line up but I think tickets will be valuable nonetheless
    Rfrip wrote: »
    Ah no don't! Imagine how amazing that first can at the campsite is going to be at EP22:D

Also I think with the UK they are nearly waiting for the 12 week mark before they start people on the 2nd dose which could cause an issue in the long run imo. Even though we may be slightly behind at least we are rolling ahead with two doses

Given the original Pfizer recommendation was for a three week gap the twelve is extremely risky.

Failure in the UK is going to result not only in British artists being unable to tour but also overseas artists dropping both the UK and Ireland from their schedules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭endainoz

I think the single dose j&j one will change things dramatically, Ireland has 2.2 million doses ordered, one would think thats what the general population will be getting hopefully some time in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

To make you feel better GSH was very poor. The first track was a 16/17 minute jam and he seemed a little woozy. Second piece was almost as long and he seemed to think he could do a three-hour rambling set and was in no mood to be hurried along. End of his set clashed with the first 15/20 mins of Leftfield and if you were wise that's where you were.

I was like a pinball that night rebounding from Leftfield to LCD Soundsystem to the Bloody Beetroots Death Crew 77 and back to Leftfield for the last few numbers. A particular finish for me I think was 2013, Tourist closed the Body&Soul main stage on Sunday night. Levitating ambient DnB, yeah he was a DnB version of Jon Hopkins/James Holden, a beautiful blissful end to the night, I may have had some DMT and thingies and I had a passive aggressive argument with a security guy about why I should remain at the main stage amphitheatre after close as it was nice and toasty. Anyway had to go back to campsite in the end. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Given the original Pfizer recommendation was for a three week gap the twelve is extremely risky.

Failure in the UK is going to result not only in British artists being unable to tour but also overseas artists dropping both the UK and Ireland from their schedules.

Exactly, Like what happens when they get to the 12 week mark do they stop and go back over the people who already had the 1st jab and get them sorted on the 2nd jab before moving on?

Yea like I cant see most bands touring Europe/UK unless we are all vaccinated especially the big bands/artists

nc6000 wrote: »
    Not quite - you said twice as many people. We've only vaccinated a fraction of the UK totals whether that be one shot or two. Our government are referring to a stat which makes our rollout seem much better than it actually is.
    Wooderson wrote: »
    First thing I saw at EP in 2005 was either Stereo MCs on the main stage or (more likely) Goldfrapp in the Electric Arena. That Sat night was pretty stellar. Arcade Fire->FLips->Kraftwerk->Fatboy. We were able to park so close that year also. Amazing, really. Sunday lunchtime following day was the only time I got to see Clor. One of those shows from Stradbally I hold very dear to this day.

Add in Doves, JJ72 and Royksopp.

Add in Doves, JJ72 and Royksopp.

Nice one mate. Deffo saw Royksopp. Maybe they were the first band i got to see. Memory slightly hazy at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Would love if they brought the date forward a few weeks so I could go! I'm a teacher and we're back at work always that weekend. I wouldn't have the discipline to miss some of it or take it easy on the Sunday and come home early!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Would love if they brought the date forward a few weeks so I could go! I'm a teacher and we're back at work always that weekend. I wouldn't have the discipline to miss some of it or take it easy on the Sunday and come home early!

I'm teaching myself. As I say, I hit the road at 10ish on the Sunday. I'm out the door at lunchtime on ghe Friday and pack a lot into the weekend. No excuse, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Assuming it's the 2nd of September 2022 before we are back there, there are 562 sleeps

That's one elephant pregnancy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

I will forever be envious of those that got to see Arcade Fire at EP 2005!

Have seen them the 5 times they've played Ireland since (plus once at Benicassim)...but I'd say nothing compares to that first gig!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I always find my fave moments are never what is starred and colourcoded as my main to see in my trusty clashfinder

One of my absolute magic moments was Something Happens in i think the cosby or rankin
    The tent was full and every single person there sang along to their heart's content. It was about 4 ish in the afternoon, that lovely merry on beers phase of the day

It was just pure joy

Le Bruise wrote: »
    I will forever be envious of those that got to see Arcade Fire at EP 2005!

Have seen them the 5 times they've played Ireland since (plus once at Benicassim)...but I'd say nothing compares to that first gig!

It was fun, certainly. Manic. Richard Parry with a motorcycle helmet hitting himself on head with drumsticks in the middle of the afternoon. But is there a more overhyped show in the last 20 years in Ireland? I don't want to rag on it but I would struggle to get it into the top ten shows I've seen at the fest.

It was fun, certainly. Manic. Richard Parry with a motorcycle helmet hitting himself on head with drumsticks in the middle of the afternoon. But is there a more overhyped show in the last 20 years in Ireland? I don't want to rag on it but I would struggle to get it into the top ten shows I've seen at the fest.

Gotta disagree Wooderson, I don't think it's over-hyped at all. It's easily in my top three EP performances and amongst the best gigs i've ever seen. I don't think I've seen a crowd greet a new band so deliriously. Funeral was only out six months in Europe yet everyone seemed to know every last lyric and the same with No Cars Go from the earlier EP. An astonishing atmosphere and they managed to out-perform the likes of Kraftwerk, the Bad Seeds, Mercury Rev and the Human League on the same bill. They started with Wake Up, my pal turned to me and asked if they'd peaked too early. They hadn't.

I was living in London then but the same group of pals went to the Olympia gig eighteen months later. Feedback was that it was equally as good as the EP performance. My turn to regret missing something.

Rfrip wrote: »
    I always find my fave moments are never what is starred and colourcoded as my main to see in my trusty clashfinder

One of my absolute magic moments was Something Happens in i think the cosby or rankin
    The tent was full and every single person there sang along to their heart's content. It was about 4 ish in the afternoon, that lovely merry on beers phase of the day

It was just pure joy

2012 I think, and yeah, that was fun. Their only appearance I think, another band to get back.

Gotta disagree Wooderson, I don't think it's over-hyped at all. It's easily in my top three EP performances and amongst the best gigs i've ever seen. I don't think I've seen a crowd greet a new band so deliriously. Funeral was only out six months in Europe yet everyone seemed to know every last lyric and the same with No Cars Go from the earlier EP. An astonishing atmosphere and they managed to out-perform the likes of Kraftwerk, the Bad Seeds, Mercury Rev and the Human League on the same bill. They started with Wake Up, my pal turned to me and asked if they'd peaked too early. They hadn't.

I was living in London then but the same group of pals went to the Olympia gig eighteen months later. Feedback was that it was equally as good as the EP performance. My turn to regret missing something.

It was amazing, clearly. :) Apols if im appearing glib mate.

Particularly the conclusion to the show was wonderful - last 3 songs (Tunnels>Power Out>Rebellion)- maybe my 3 fave tracks by them. Tent went ballistic.

Im being precious about AF in 2005 but I question did it feel as "special" to me as the Beasties double header or as jawdropping as Portishead? Will open me up to huge criticism but im filtering it through that first Chic show in 2009 also. Theres a reason Nile Rodgers has played here 20 times since - its down to the spectacular impression they left on Stradbally that night.

AF the last great indie band - so their debut here is going to mean tonnes to people. I just feel there has been other shows that are equally worthy but don't get the same heat.

It was amazing, clearly. :)Apols if im appearing glib mate.

Particularly the conclusion to the show was wonderful - last 3 songs (Tunnels>Power Out>Rebellion)- maybe my 3 fave tracks by them. Tent went ballistic.

Im being precious about AF in 2005 but I question did it feel as "special" to me as the Beasties double header or as jawdropping as Portishead? Will open me up to huge criticism but im filtering it through that first Chic show in 2009 also. Theres a reason Nile Rodgers has played here 20 times since - its down to the spectacular impression they left on Stradbally that night.

AF the last great indie band - so their debut here is going to mean tonnes to people. I just feel there has been other shows that are equally worthy but don't get the same heat.

Not at all, it's entirely subjective. And I'm one of those idiots who missed BOTH the Beastie Boys and first Chic sets. In my defence I was at the Jesus and Mary Chain comeback for the first but I really could have skipped Madness for the second.

We're just lucky that we've seen so many great artists and performances in Stradbally, much of the cream of the music world from the past five decades. Much more of that please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,139 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

2012 I think, and yeah, that was fun. Their only appearance I think, another band to get back.

Pretty sure they played 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Stillill42 wrote: »
    I'm teaching myself. As I say, I hit the road at 10ish on the Sunday. I'm out the door at lunchtime on ghe Friday and pack a lot into the weekend. No excuse, go for it.

Not a chance I wouldn't end up on the beer on the Sunday and miss work on the Monday! Usually I just go to a European festival or two over the summer instead but will take a course day or two some year to hit this!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Not a chance I wouldn't end up on the beer on the Sunday and miss work on the Monday! Usually I just go to a European festival or two over the summer instead but will take a course day or two some year to hit this!

Those kids have to learn about Electric Picnic sooner or later. I suggest you arrive on the Monday around noon, covered in mud and eyes rolling around your head, and then show them video highlights of the best gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭desk tidy

My first ever festival was EP 2009. I don't remember much, but I remember the feeling.

everlast75 wrote: »
    Pretty sure they played 2019

Not that I recall, but I could be wrong.

I'm with Stillill42, and I'd hazard a guess that his post-Picnic Monday mornings are not his finest lessons. Two days on the lash plus a few slow beers on Sunday would be enough for most of us. You're denying yourself time at the best festival this country has ever had, and one that's amongst the very best in Europe by my reckoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Those kids have to learn about Electric Picnic sooner or later. I suggest you arrive on the Monday around noon, covered in mud and eyes rolling around your head, and then show them video highlights of the best gigs.

School of Rock approach....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I'm with Stillill42, and I'd hazard a guess that his post-Picnic Monday mornings are not his finest lessons. Two days on the lash plus a few slow beers on Sunday would be enough for most of us. You're denying yourself time at the best festival this country has ever had, and one that's amongst the very best in Europe by my reckoning.

I must say for me Sunday is usually the best and most enjoyable day, I think my mind and body has stabilised after the onslaught of excitement, sleep deprivation, + possibly after acting like a 20 year old on Friday night. Also Sunday is 12 pm to 12 am non-stop, even if you dont have clashes everywhere its ram packed with acts, I cant walk more the 100m with being pulled in. Plus the eating/food, 60km on the legs, ravaged with hunger!! :)
    I understand everyone has different circumstances, but I wouldn't dream of "holding back" on Sunday or heading home Sunday/night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭rubick

"OK, everyone - stand on your desks...up you get...yeah. Now, let's talk about freedom. You guys like The Smiths...?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

I've actually never stayed for the full Sunday of an EP as always have to work first thing on the Monday AM. It's non-negotiable and have to be bright eyed and bushy tailed (our biggest client and the same week every year).

Have a brunch and a wander round then head for the hills in the afternoon. Always annoying when some of the best acts are announced for the Sunday evening!

Advertisement