Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭endainoz

Thought this might be of interest to a few heads here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Beautiful weather for Latitude, chemical brothers take to the stage later..... probably gonna be sh1te any😪😪😪

I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any means, but find it a little strange theres no mention of the hundreds of in/outdoor events taking place around the globe, USA is trucking away!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,448 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Might as well post some highlights of Latitude festival, as we don't even have a lineup to talk about.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

This clip in German, but as its still on we'll probably have to wait for folk to get back home before more is uploaded.

Alexa

Sorry folks the Lana Del Ray clip was from 2019, even though year wasn't mentioned.

Post edited by bodhrandude on

• Advertisement

Reded we demand your correspondence, updates please about Latitude, thank you very much.

EP put up some photos of the weekend at Latitude.

Looks almost surreal

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRw_1AhHK_k/?utm_medium=copy_link

Apparently the Chems surpassed all previous performances, judging by the reviews in the Latitude 2021 thread.

• Advertisement

It makes you wonder, was there protests in Suffolk about Latitude happening, like we're getting here with Laois Council and Stradbally residents.

I love these clips with the filmer just rambling through the festival, have been known to do this myself.

Delighted sea shanties have finally made it to mainstream festivals!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,689 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 19,135 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

TLDR; Local people's mental health is affected. No-one wants this. LCC must go through the motions, otherwise they risk being sued.

Yeah .. its off :-(

No sign of any article on the Laois today web page. Anyone grab the detail?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,135 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

As Pablo summarised I'm afraid.

Strong call considering the amount of revenue it brings into the local community.

the link works fine for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Bruce2008

Christ that's a whole load of outrage for one article. Seen as the council are the ones who grant the licence, does not look good for EP.

I'm sure the locals are genuinely afraid as I heard a nursing home in Stradbally was hit particularly hard during the first wave. That fear has obviously stayed with these people, but no mention of vaccines or the rollout. These councilors conveniently forgot to mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Would we be prepared to subject ourselves to a walk of shame on our way through Stradbally, locals in full PPE shouting unpleasantries and waving pitchforks? Calling us hipsters? Dubs? I'm game.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,215 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Most Laois councillors have today voiced their opposition to the festival going ahead.

NPHET is being called upon to make its views on gigs and festivals clear as soon as possible.

A decision has yet to be made on whether Electric Picnic will go ahead this year - with most Laois councillors voicing their opposition to it today.

It would be "crazy crazy madness" to run Electric Picnic this year - according to Stradbally councillor Paschal McEvoy.

The Fianna Fáil rep says older people in the town are terrified at the prospect of 70,000 people coming, especially given many young people may not be fully vaccinated by the end of September.

All councillors who spoke at the July meeting of Laois County Council today are against the event going ahead.

The local authority's chief executive John Mulholland says he won’t comment on a live application but general guidance from the HSE through NPHET would provide more clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Laois People article link still works, not sure why people are having issues.

Latest Laois News: Every Laois County Councillor opposed to staging of Electric Picnic in 2021

Every councillor opposed to Electric Picnic going ahead in 2021

All nineteen Laois County Council (LCC) councillors voiced their opposition to the granting of a license to allow the staging of Electric Picnic in 2021 at today’s monthly meeting of LCC. It is a very rare occasion to find such total unanimity in the council chamber.

Stradbally-based Councillor Paschal McEvoy was strident in his opposition to Ireland’s biggest multi-day festival going ahead in 2021. He spoke passionately in support of the following notice of motion:

Notice of Motion No: 39/2021 – Councillor Paschal McEvoy “That this Council call on NPHET to issue an urgent recommendation to Government in relation to the planning and hosting of festivals and events attracting large numbers of people”

“Festival Republic are ploughing ahead as if it (Electric Picnic ’21) was going to happen. Absolutely crazy. Madness. In eight weeks’ time to allow 70,000 into a field. Madness. The mental health (of local residents) is affected. (They are) absolutely petrified. (I call) to send a letter to NPHET to make a decision quick. Eight weeks out and the timing is wrong. I look for the support of the councillors (on this motion).

Councillor Padraig Fleming fully supported Cllr. McEvoy’s call.

“Basically everyone’s very worried about it. A letter to NPHET is correct. Only fifty are allowed into weddings. To allow 70,000 into a few fields shouldn’t happen.

Cabaret dancers from the Dirty Circus at the Electric Picnic Reccie Day, Tuesday 27 August 2019. Photo: Alf Harvey, no reproduction fee

Councillor Aisling Moran had this to say on the subject:

“I enjoy going to festivals and concerts. But look here. We have only one hour and fifty minutes allowed for this (face-to-face) LCC meeting. The Electric picnic has only a small part (of it) outdoors. We don’t have to go to NPHET. I ask the LCC CEO to take on board the councillors’ concerns.”

Councillor John King mentioned other smaller Laois shows and festivals in his support for Cllr. McEvoy’s motion.

“All shows (in Laois) for example the Scarecrow Festival are not going ahead. Why are big events going ahead? This must stop today!”

Councillor Ben Brennan used the example of the Ploughing Championships and Croke Park.

“The ‘Ploughing’ is off. Croke Park holds 82,000 and is only allowed 18,000. People there (in Stradbally) are afraid of their living lives. Should be a done deal. 100 % support that it should be cancelled. National and World Ploughing Championships are off. For the sake of one year (Electric Picnic should be off too.)”

Councillor Caroline Dwane Stanley was equally adamant in her opposition to the staging of the festival this year.

“It’s crazy if this event goes ahead. It will attract people from all over. Local people’s feelings should be taken into consideration. People can’t go ahead with weddings. Common sense has to prevail.”

Mark Smith, Tullamore serving up the coffee at the Electric Picnic Reccie Day, Tuesday 27 August 2019. Photo: Alf Harvey, no reproduction fee

Councillor James Kelly called on Laois County Council to ask NPHET to issue a recommendation.

Councillor Willie Aird’s focus was on Laois County Council and not NPHET however.

“Laois County Council (LCC) makes the decision. I am asking if LCC is making a recommendation that it is going ahead.

LCC CEO John Mulholland pointed out the position of Laois County Council in all this as follows:

“The LCC has a legal and statutory obligation. A live licence application has to take on board submissions. It is proper to reflect on (public opinion) when LCC will be making the decision to grant the application (or not). The key consideration is that LCC will let it go through the statutory process in accordance with the law. We (LCC) must do our job in accordance with the law.

The Salty Dog stage at the Electric Picnic Reccie Day, Tuesday 27 August 2019. Photo: Alf Harvey, no reproduction fee

Cathaoirleach of Laois County Council Cllr. Conor Bergin finished the debate by pointing out that no-one here ( in the chamber) wanted LCC to leave itself open to litigation.

Couldn't Festival Republic not just borrow Punchestown Racecourse for this year only, just so the fecking festival can go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I also think it's very unfair to illustrate that article with shots of happy people getting ready for the last Electric picnic. Could we not substitute some pictures of grumpy Laois politicians looking grumpy? Bound to be some of those on file.

• Advertisement

Nice one! Might be issues between accessing on mobile or PC or different phones or something.

Advertisement