Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosslare Container Migrants disappear from Direct Provision Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Weird how 'refugees' weren't coming here in droves in the 70s & 80.

I remember when I was a kid in the 80s that if someone was granted asylum in Ireland it'd make the 6 o'clock news. The last lad I remember from those times was from somewhere like Austria or Switzerland. Mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Boggles wrote: »
    You do know what majority means right?

South Africa isn't in the top 3 and Georgian and Albanian asylum seekers is a recent phenomenon based largely on changes to Visas in other countries, virtually all of them get rejected.

Virtually...?

It's a nice modern term,for sure,but as it's use these days infers,it might not be based upon reality...at least not the oul Georgians anyway...

Recently,Leo Varadakar drew the ire of the concerned citizenry and the Irish Refugee Council (not always a bad thing in itself) for referring to the sudden increase in specific nationalities appearing at the hall-door looking to enhance Irelands future...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/q-a-why-the-focus-on-people-arriving-from-georgia-and-albania-1.4071880
    Figures published by the International Protection Office, a branch of the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service, show 3,762 applications for international protection were received by the State until the end of September.

Almost a quarter, 875, came from Albanian citizens and 15 per cent, or 556 cases, from Georgia.

So c.40% of the applications were dodgy.
    The trend of arrivals from so-called “safe countries,” such as Albania and Georgia has been evident for some time and has been a feature of figures published by the Department of Justice.

While higher numbers of arrivals from countries such as Syria, where people were fleeing war, were previously a feature of the asylum process, that has given way to higher numbers from so-called safe countries.

However,any politician who starts stating the "Bleedin Obvious" or drawing attention to blatant codology,runs the risk of getting the modern equivalent of a Belt of the Crozier,as in....
    The Irish Refugee Council (IRC) has criticised Varadkar’s comments, saying that picking out “ nationalities is dangerous and to suggest that a country is de facto safe for all is very dangerous”.

The ye have it...the IRC has spoken,and Taoisigh really should Listen !

Anyway,fast forward from that I.T article (4th Nov),and the mist begins to clear....

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/crime/gardai-smash-irishbased-crime-gang-linked-to-international-identity-fraud-network-38770858.html
    The Irish-based gang is connected to a pan-European group, largely dominated by Georgian nationals, involved in the large scale production and distribution of false identity and travel documents, including passports, national ID cards and driving licences.

Well I never....:eek:

Good to see results emerging from a relatively short duration investigation,and hopefully it's success will ensure further funding to continue the programme.
    Three Spanish police officers and the Garda liaison officer to Spain, who is based in Madrid, were also present this morning during the operation.

Similar police investigations into suspected identity fraud and the activities of an international organised crime gang are also under way in Spain, Italy, France, Germany, Britain and Finland, with the assistance of Europol and agencies in the United States.

Operation Mombasa is described as a multi-jurisdictional investigation, that began here in late 2018 into the activities of foreign nationals, mainly Georgian, known to be resident in Ireland.

Many of the suspects involved are using false identity documents while living and working in this country for the past few years.

Why is this level of fraud possible ?....perhaps instead of ballyragging the Taoiseach,outfits such as the Irish Refugee Council should focus on their current customer base,rather than lobbying for more business to be sucked into our nicely fermenting vat.

This is now looking lake a larger scale stroke than had initially been suspected...
    Gardai said inquiries established that a suspected network of two families from Georgia, living in Dublin, were allegedly producing and providing false documents to other people across Europe.

They said this organisation produced and distributed false documents, which helped foreign nationals to circumvent immigration laws for the purpose of entering Ireland and the UK illegally.

Inquiries showed that a large number of non Europeans had attempted to travel in this country using their false documents.

The final paragraph could indicate a greater threat than many might initially think,particularly in the area of Cyber Crime and Identity Theft.
    With the help of a senior analyst, they established the identities of suspected members of the organised crime gang here and crucial data and evidence was secured from various money transfer services, financial institutions and parcel delivery services, allegedly linking the group to crimes.

That's a grand wee Triumverate to begin with....pay attention to those labels on the oul Amazon boxes ye throw in the Green Bin ! :D

Full marks to Leo Varadakar and the Europol/Garda team who got this to the end,a good result all round.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Read somewhere the pan-European gangs, were largely dominated by Albanians (Georgians also play a part).
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/alleged-albanian-people-trafficker-raided-by-criminal-assets-bureau-1.4107027
    They make up such a very tiny percent of the UK's population 0.03% or something, yet the NCA view them as having almost complete control and dominance of the illicit white powder markets.
    Not surprisingly, they are the single biggest enthic group in their jailhouses as a result, surprise, surprise.

They are also the single biggest applicants for IPO in Ireland (viewed maybe as useful route, for for free market access to further 'powder distribution').
    Thus the 99.7% rejection rate is recent times is (generally) very well founded and likely very appropriate, even when looked at on a case-by-case basis.

They have been attempting to penetrate the South coast for many months (containers and leaps out of vans)
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/troubling-pattern-of-albanian-stowaways-from-spain-908168.html
    from the safe and sunny countries of Spain and France.

Anyway the EU will welcome the Western Balkans (x6) in shortly, oh and the UK's doors will be firmly closed by then.
    Whatever could go wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Did they ever find them migrants that disappeared?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

No, but they disappeared so they’re obviously gone, apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

They were never really migrants,immigrants or ants even....they were at all times "Victims" and Guests of our Republic.

They were offered shelter,succor and any other assistance required,but chose instead to ramble on.....Slán Abhaile....(or wherever ) ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ireland is currently 8th fav to leave (not far behind 6th place:Sweden) with a major book. However on an major exchange market they are joint fav along with Italy, very short at 2.92.

In a post-brexit world of daily 'stowaways' (illegal economic migration), with people dying to get a hospital bed, and rampant homlessness mixed with 4hr commutes, it might become a strong topic of conversation.

If Boris gets his hard-exit, would expect to see many tents appearing in Phoneix Park early next summer, and not for a female-only music festival.

We be nuts to leave the EU.

I think it's far from perfect, but boy did it bring us out of the dark ages.

The EU needs massive reform from top to bottom. The EU govt should be a max of 5 people from each EU country making decisions on things that affect the entire EU and nothing else.

Each country should be free to make decisions on what effects them, such as immigration, tax rates, laws etc. Stuff like an EU army should be shelved. There should be an EU ID card for every citizen, stating where they are from etc. Freedom of movement should remain, once you have the means to support yourself in another EU country, (this should be strictly enforced). And obviously free trade should continue.

Other than that, countries should be looking after themselves.

The EU needs massive reform from top to bottom. The EU govt should be a max of 5 people from each EU country making decisions on things that affect the entire EU and nothing else.

Each country should be free to make decisions on what effects them, such as immigration, tax rates, laws etc. Stuff like an EU army should be shelved. There should be an EU ID card for every citizen, stating where they are from etc. Freedom of movement should remain, once you have the means to support yourself in another EU country, (this should be strictly enforced). And obviously free trade should continue.

Other than that, countries should be looking after themselves.

i'd like to see the EU return to the EEC, and to drop this federal BS they're so in love with, along with it's desire to take control of Europe's cultural future. I'd also love to see the EU stop growing, and to focus on helping it's current member states rather than inviting countries that will need substantial development both economically and culturally. I cannot see why the Balkan are being encouraged to join... that's a clusterfcuk of problems.

I'd mostly agree with you, except for the EU army. It's a good opportunity to maintain close links with other countries since those in the military tend to form the best connections between nationalities. There's also the aspect that Europe cannot rely on the US to hold it's interests. While I don't see any trouble from Russia, I would suggest that Europe needs something to defend itself from the South, should they ever get their act together. It's a useful deterrent, and reduces the pressure on countries like Italy to maintain a force just to protect all the rest of us.

Another garda (now retired) arrested today over 'immigration irregularities'
    https://www.thejournal.ie/garda-immigation-arrest-4927973-Dec2019/
    Dates back to mid-2017, some folks wil do anything for brown envelopes.

• Advertisement

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Virtually...?

It's a nice modern term,for sure,but as it's use these days infers,it might not be based upon reality...at least not the oul Georgians anyway...

Recently,Leo Varadakar drew the ire of the concerned citizenry and the Irish Refugee Council (not always a bad thing in itself) for referring to the sudden increase in specific nationalities appearing at the hall-door looking to enhance Irelands future...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/q-a-why-the-focus-on-people-arriving-from-georgia-and-albania-1.4071880

So c.40% of the applications were dodgy.

However,any politician who starts stating the "Bleedin Obvious" or drawing attention to blatant codology,runs the risk of getting the modern equivalent of a Belt of the Crozier,as in....

The ye have it...the IRC has spoken,and Taoisigh really should Listen !

Anyway,fast forward from that I.T article (4th Nov),and the mist begins to clear....

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/crime/gardai-smash-irishbased-crime-gang-linked-to-international-identity-fraud-network-38770858.html

Well I never....:eek:

Good to see results emerging from a relatively short duration investigation,and hopefully it's success will ensure further funding to continue the programme.

Why is this level of fraud possible ?....perhaps instead of ballyragging the Taoiseach,outfits such as the Irish Refugee Council should focus on their current customer base,rather than lobbying for more business to be sucked into our nicely fermenting vat.

This is now looking lake a larger scale stroke than had initially been suspected...

The final paragraph could indicate a greater threat than many might initially think,particularly in the area of Cyber Crime and Identity Theft.

That's a grand wee Triumverate to begin with....pay attention to those labels on the oul Amazon boxes ye throw in the Green Bin ! :D

Full marks to Leo Varadakar and the Europol/Garda team who got this to the end,a good result all round.

How it is being reported in the Evening Herald.

The story does go on to say Irish-based. But the headline is designed to make you think it was Paddy and Moira down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

i'd like to see the EU return to the EEC, and to drop this federal BS they're so in love with, along with it's desire to take control of Europe's cultural future. I'd also love to see the EU stop growing, and to focus on helping it's current member states rather than inviting countries that will need substantial development both economically and culturally. I cannot see why the Balkan are being encouraged to join... that's a clusterfcuk of problems.

I'd mostly agree with you, except for the EU army. It's a good opportunity to maintain close links with other countries since those in the military tend to form the best connections between nationalities. There's also the aspect that Europe cannot rely on the US to hold it's interests. While I don't see any trouble from Russia, I would suggest that Europe needs something to defend itself from the South, should they ever get their act together. It's a useful deterrent, and reduces the pressure on countries like Italy to maintain a force just to protect all the rest of us.

I agree with everything you posted bar the EU army. I just don't like the idea of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭irishproduce

It looks like it happened again.
    Raises the worrying and terrifying question, how many go through weekly that no one noticed because we only hear about these incidents when there is a f*** up in the plan.

Garda investigation after men alight Rosslare truck
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0713/1153042-wicklow-search-trailer/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

With the way the EU is operating we will be back in the dark ages one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Ireland was a poverty stricken country, controlled almost entirely by the Catholic Church, with a terrorist group carrying out a campaign of violence and little in common with the established members in mainland Europe when we joined.

We needed substantial development, economically and culturally.

Pulling up the ladder once you’re sorted out yourself is a real sh1tty way of looking at things.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

KiKi III wrote: »
    Ireland was a poverty stricken country, controlled almost entirely by the Catholic Church, with a terrorist group carrying out a campaign of violence and little in common with the established members in mainland Europe when we joined.
    Hang on we joined in what 1973? This idea that Ireland and the Irish were bare footed chewing raw spuds before that is a modern myth and nonsense. The 1960's were actually a boom time in this country as far as jobs and economics and a widening view of the world were concerned, certainly in urban areas. Never mind that a lot of Europe wasn't doing much better than us. The UK were looking down the barrel of general strikes, blackouts and the IMF coming in to sort out their mess, countries like Spain and Italy could be just as church bound and messy with a fair chunk of pockets of deprivation of their own(never mind Spain was still being run by fascists with the church sucking at their teat). France had its problems too.
    We needed substantial development, economically and culturally.
    Again like damned near everywhere in Europe back then. Take Gay rights. Homosexuality was only decriminalised in Germany in what 1970 and it was 2017 before equality in marriage came in. France was an outlier in this and was more Gay friendly from way back, at least in law, in practice...(Holland followed France because of being invaded by Napoleon) England decriminalised homosexuality in the late 60's, though Scots had to wait until the 1980s. Marriage equality came in what 2014? Italy came to that in 2016.

Yes things have improved massively since we joined the EU across the board, but that goes for pretty much everywhere in Europe. I do wish people would stop peddling this sackcloth and ashes beal bocht myth of "Old Ireland".
    Pulling up the ladder once you’re sorted out yourself is a real sh1tty way of looking at things.
    In the case of the Balkans coming on board I would agree, though I don't agree with importing non European migrants en masse. Sort out our own first.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Raises the worrying and terrifying question, how many go through weekly that no one noticed because we only hear about these incidents when there is a f*** up in the plan.

Immigration controls in Ireland are an extremely bad joke. My own town is like Leicester in the 1970s but I'm sure they are all here legally. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

One would imagine they would issue a description if they wanted to locate them. I wonder would they be "of tanned complexion" as the Gardai do be sayin

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i'd imagine sightings like that are similar to drug seizures - only a tiny fraction of what's coming in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

i'd imagine sightings like that are similar to drug seizures - only a tiny fraction of what's coming in.
    One would almost believe that our porous borders are an informal government policy. The more that comes in, the more they intend to legalise in one fell swoop when the right time comes along. For those of them who will then join the legal workforce, it will result in lower wages for all. For the remainder, it will just swell the social welfare numbers even more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Someone isn't doing their job keeping these illegals out, sure even if, and its a big if they do catch them they will claim asylum and more than likely end up here for good because we deport FA of them out of the country.

Likely just the tip of the iceberg, yesterday the uk set a new record of 180 crossing from France in shanty boats (many more via HGV likely, but so few actually checked) in a single day.
    An additional 200 intercepted by the French also on Sunday.

This week Patel said they'll return/reject anyone with a criminal record, and set out the points based system.
    Thus from Jan 1, Ireland will likely become the choice destination of economic migrants, from many European ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

If we had proper immigration control the army would be used and every forty foot and container entering the country would be checked at the ports. It might cause delays in the early days of implementation but if there's any level of organisation in the country at all it should be possible - it's not like Ireland is Rotterdam in terms of volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

"Zanyar Rasul Ahmadi arrived in Ireland with eight other asylum seekers & was discovered in the back of a lorry ... all of the others have received permission to remain in Ireland"

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/kurd-who-was-smuggled-into-ireland-calls-for-asylum-request-to-be-re-examined-1.4306401?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

So, basically, the authorities in Ireland are now facilitating and rewarding people smuggling. The current batch of lorry jumpers will get to stay too.

Expect this to continue and numbers to increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭irishproduce

That story really highlights the fact that the asylum process is becoming less of a desperate attempt to find safe haven and more of a pick and mix between the countries with the nicest options available.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

That story really highlights the fact that the asylum process is becoming less of a desperate attempt to find safe haven and more of a pick and mix between the countries with the nicest options available.

How have they made that into a poor me/bad DP story.

He's claiming asylum from France, Germany and Austria

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The reason migrants are desperate to get to the UK (and Ireland as a silver medal) is that in much of mainland Europe, you need a national ID card to do most things.

In Ireland or the UK, they can join the grey / black economy rather easily and get up and running if they manage to avoid the attention of immigration.

For instance, France is said to have weak external borders, but hard internal ones.

The opposite is true of the UK, hard external borders, weak internal ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

When the UK leaves the EU and sets up its points based immigration system with all around tightened border controls one would imagine that immigration of all types into Ireland will rise.

I believe we will see a significant rise in numbers coming to our shores.

As Bachman sang in 1974 : You ain't seen nothing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

When the UK leaves the EU and sets up its points based immigration system with all around tightened border controls one would imagine that immigration of all types into Ireland will rise.

I believe we will see a significant rise in numbers coming to our shores.

As Bachman sang in 1974 : You ain't seen nothing yet.

I believe you'll be proven correct. After Brexit, we'll be a back door to both the EU and UK. Ireland will be unique in that we're the only citizens / passport holders with unfettered and unrestricted to both the European and UK Labour markers.

The latest from Roderic O'Gorman is that he will reform the accommodation system for Direct Provision.

Don't think for a second that trafficking networks won't be paying attention to what's going on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Funny how all the Irish politicians bow and scrape at the Whitehouse every Paddys day to beg the US to normalise the illegal Irish though...

Advertisement