Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosslare Container Migrants disappear from Direct Provision Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,666 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Actually, the question was pretty obvious... Guess you need a "?" before you'll consider actually responding with something of value.

It really wasn't. You fired off a monologue with your own assumptions and then some time later attached them to me for some reason demanding answers but not posing any questions.
    I'd like to pin you down to actually giving your actual stance on the subject rather than constantly dodging with vague nonsense.

Again, what "question" have you asked me that I answered with "vague nonsense".

You don't particular stand out as a poster I back in forth with regularly if at all.
    Since these "migrants" have had no background confirmed, and skipped the asylum processing, under what conditions would you believe that claimant asylum seekers should be detained or monitored? If you're still against migrants being detained until their backgrounds are confirmed, I'd like you to justify that stance, taking into account the inherent risks in having migrants from a war-torn land arrive. (justify is also considered a question.]

Should we detain all people who enter the state until their background is checked?

The vast vast majority of foreigners who commit crimes here are not asylum seekers.

Boggles, I tried to deal with you with respect, but you never truly respond to anything except with one liners dodging the questions. Utter waste of typing. Ahh well. Lesson learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Boggles wrote: »

Should we detain all people who enter the state until their background is checked?

The vast vast majority of foreigners who commit crimes here are not asylum seekers.

Oddly enough most Countries actually do.

That's what an awful lot of Airport Queing is about.
    Ireland has been a wee bit different because of the Common Travel Zone between it and it's nearest neighbouring landmass,which may well be blurring many folks judgement on such otherwise normal checks.

If individuals Rock up without documentation,by whatever means,then yes,detention until their "background" is checked.

The issue of Forreners committing crime is of no real relevance to the Container Gang,but the precaution of checking their background before setting them loose in the State,remains very relevant.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Boggles, I tried to deal with you with respect

No you haven't, you have continually made your posts personal and continue to do so.

but you never truly respond to anything except with one liners dodging the questions.

So when I ask an actual simple question you fúck your toys out of the pram.

:rolleyes:
    Utter waste of typing. Ahh well. Lesson learned.

Good for you.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Oddly enough most Countries actually do.

That's what an awful lot of Airport Queing is about.

Passport control, but anyway.

In a conversation about Ireland what other countries do is moot.

The point stands.

• Advertisement

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29d08469d638460d0218fd0bc93c7a3c9b53ea968c&rid=giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Passport control, but anyway.

In a conversation about Ireland what other countries do is moot.

The point stands.

Simple question do you think people arriving to our country without any proof of identity should be allowed enter?

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Marty Bird wrote: »
    Simple question do you think people arriving to our country without any proof of identity should be allowed enter?

How do you know they had no proof of identity?

Was that a stated fact or an assumption?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭malinheader

Good luck trying to get a straight answer on this.

See what I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

How do you know they had no proof of identity?

Was that a stated fact or an assumption?

Let’s call this a hypothetical situation. Do you think entry should be given to those who arrive at our boarders without any form of identification?

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Let’s call this a hypothetical situation. Do you think entry should be given to those who arrive at our boarders without any form of identification?

Absolutely not, it's border patrol and enforcement 101.

Nearly 5000 annually are stop at our borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Absolutely not, it's border patrol and enforcement 101.

Nearly 5000 annually are stop at our borders.

In English please and a link to where the figure of 5,000 comes from - and what happened to the people stopped?

Del.Monte wrote: »
    In English please and a link to where the figure of 5,000 comes from - and what happened to the people stopped?

:confused:

Anyway.

State deported more than 5,000 people in 2018

5000 stopped at borders. How many are sent back to where they came from.???.

5000 stopped at borders. How many are sent back to where they came from.???.

None. They all live in the ports like Tom Hanks doing odd jobs like in the hilarious The Terminal.

FFS!

The difference in me and you is I know what bull**** is. There is very few turned back from this country what ever the authorities want to let you think. Tea and sympathy then housed and kept until they can claim asylum even if they don't have a case.

The difference in me and you is I know what bull**** is. There is very few turned back from this country what ever the authorities want to let you think.

It's very little to do with what I think, reality doesn't wait for my input.

But by all means please link to some factual evidence that proves that article is "bull**** is" as you claim.

I’ve found data for 2017 released by the Garda press office with reference to those who have been denied entry at an airport, port or on Northern Ireland border. Some then claimed asylum

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/almost-4-000-denied-entry-to-ireland-in-2017-1.3618042%3fmode=amp
    A total of 3,908 people were refused entry at Irish ports, airports and the Northern Ireland Border in 2017, according to details released by the Garda press office.
    Of this number, 768 people claimed asylum while the remaining 3,140 were removed from the State

Then I cross referenced with data provided by Irish refugee council. See page 8
    https://www.asylumineurope.org/sites/default/files/report-download/aida_ie_2017update.pdf

The Irish refugee council says there were 2910 applications less 768 people who claimed at an airport, port or at border with Northern Ireland. This leaves 2142 people who made their claim some other way. Where?

Even if I deduct all 545 that were from Syria (let’s just assume they made their application whilst in a refugee camp in the Middle East) that still leaves 1597 people who were able to make an application from somewhere else.

Anyone have any idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Even if I deduct all 545 that were from Syria (let’s just assume they made their application whilst in a refugee camp in the Middle East) that still leaves 1597 people who were able to make an application from somewhere else.

Anyone have any idea?

A lot come in from the UK via NI and the first we know they're here is when they show up at the offices in Dublin.
    Some are here on holiday visas from Sth Africa for example which has direct flights. So they walk on in and claim asylum later.
    Others are here on student visas and when their time is up, claim asylum to stay on.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 135 ✭✭Sloppy_Joe

I happened to stumble across newstalks week of DP talks when listening to the hard shoulder with Yates.

I was left with more questions than answers after listening to it. Ivan gave the intro and he said something like "find out why someone from albania would seek asylum" along with other things for the other people.

There was 3 interviews:

- South African woman
    - Nigerian man
    - Albanian woman

South African woman was getting rape and death threats. Fine, fair enough.

Nigerian man didn't say why his life was in danger. He said he hadn't seen his kids in 5 years. When asked why he came to Ireland he said it was better to be here than dead because then he is no good to his children. I'm wondering what good is he currently as he hasn't seen them in 5 years.

Albanian woman just said there was a situation in Albania. When asked more she started going on about corruption and politics. Didn't really seem like the best reason. She left when she was 14...not sure a 14 year old would have the greatest understanding of politicis and corruption etc.

Sloppy_Joe wrote: »
    South African woman was getting rape and death threats. Fine, fair enough..

On the face of it and as unpalatable as it sounds that's not "enough" to be granted refugee status or protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Wow that's mad

I would have thought that was a legit reason for fleeing and then getting asylum etc

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Wow that's mad

I would have thought that was a legit reason for fleeing and then getting asylum etc

In theory, all the fellas getting shot in Dublin gangland would have the right to claim asylum in any country they choose if that were the case. Gardaí warning them their life is in danger is proof rather than just taking someone at their word.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Yeah that's true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

In theory, all the fellas getting shot in Dublin gangland would have the right to claim asylum in any country they choose if that were the case. Gardaarning them their life is in danger is proof rather than just taking someone at their word.

A good case, But what country would take them.

mgn wrote: »
    A good case, But what country would take them.

Isn’t asylum status all a ruling from the UN? So any country that’s a member?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

None. They all live in the ports like Tom Hanks doing odd jobs like in the hilarious The Terminal.

FFS!

That’s why Dublin airport is spotless!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Isn’t asylum status all a ruling from the UN? So any country that’s a member?

The don't need asylum, the can hop on a plane in the morning and go wherever the like in Europe,
    Now if the went to the US or Australia and tried to claim asylum there ,on the grounds that their lives were in danger, I think the first question the would be asked is, why did you come half way around the world bypassing a lot of safe countries on your way.
    And turned around and send back on the next plane.

• Advertisement

mgn wrote: »
    The don't need asylum, the can hop on a plane in the morning and go wherever the like in Europe,
    Now if the went to the US or Australia and tried to claim asylum there ,on the grounds that their lives were in danger, I think the first question the would be asked is, why did you come half way around the world bypassing a lot of safe countries on your way.
    And turned around and send back on the next plane.

And that would be a perfectly acceptable question to ask, and reason for denying entry.

Someone really should tell the Irish authorities to do likewise.

Advertisement