Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosslare Container Migrants disappear from Direct Provision Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

elperello wrote: »
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/asylum_seekers_and_refugees/services_for_asylum_seekers_in_ireland/direct_provision.html

This link shows the rates.
    Adult €38.80 per week
    Child €29.80 per week

This leaves a family of father mother and two children with a weekly cash income of €137.20.

Accommodation and food are provided.

Other details about Direct Provision are also in the link.

That's €7,134 per year without food and accommodation!

Why doesn't the government employ/train extra asylum processing officers to work through the backlog of asylum cases.

Employ an officer on €40k and if they process 6 cases a year we are actually saving money!

€7,134 x 6 = €42,806.

A saving of €2,806 based on processing 1 case every 2 months!

What am I missing here?

Anybody know what asylum seekers get in U.K., France & Germany?
    What cash payments?
    Direct provision?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭enricoh

Zero political will for that pronto!
    Anyone know the figures of how many spoofers get leave to remain each year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Pronto63 wrote: »
    What am I missing here?
    The leeches in the Legal Industry

jay0109 wrote: »
    The leeches in the Legal Industry

Do asylum seekers get free legal aid?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Of course! And the more appeals and reviews they have to go through, the bigger SUV and holiday house the solicitors can buy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

wellwhynot wrote: »
    However one thing stuck in my craw. One of new arrival’s children with a medical condition was flown to a hospital in Europe for an operation paid for by the state. A friend’s child with the same condition at the time had been on the waiting list for that operation in Ireland for coming up to 2 years.

This is off topic, but anyone can avail of medical treatments and procedures including surgery in the EU and have it covered by HSE. It's likely that it was a valid option for your friend too, unless his child was not able to travel. I don't think it's common knowledge though.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

strandroad wrote: »
    This is off topic, but anyone can avail of medical treatments and procedures including surgery in the EU and have it covered by HSE. It's likely that it was a valid option for your friend too, unless his child was not able to travel. I don't think it's common knowledge though.

I didn't know that and they didn't either. Very useful to know. I heard State paid for the flights/accommodation in this case. Is that the norm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

No they get free everything else but legal aid. Come on man ya see the pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,446 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Why doesn't the government employ/train extra asylum processing officers to work through the backlog of asylum cases.

Employ an officer on €40k and if they process 6 cases a year we are actually saving money!

€7,134 x 6 = €42,806.

What am I missing here?

What cash payments?
    Direct provision?

For a start those figures are for a family of four.

There is definitely a case for speeding up the process but it is not as easy as it looks at first sight.

Your figures for employing someone would need more scrutiny. The cost of an employee is more than the salary.

In the UK it is £37.75 per person in your household but you have to buy your own food out of that. Accommodation, health and education are covered.

https://www.gov.uk/asylum-support/what-youll-get

I didn't know that and they didn't either. Very useful to know. I heard State paid for the flights/accommodation in this case. Is that the norm?

I'm not sure. I know people who had extensive treatment abroad but they are adults and I don't know how they sorted their travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

I think its a case of you have to pay for it upfront, and them the HSE reimburse you, a lot of people may not be in a position to do that.

I wonder do the government think the current media propaganda on this issue works for a certain generation and they are relying on them for votes. Do they consider that most non-PC literate adults in this country have children/grandchildren/nieces/nephews who are able to keep them up to date on the non-censored media?

However one thing stuck in my craw. One of new arrival’s children with a medical condition was flown to a hospital in Europe for an operation paid for by the state. A friend’s child with the same condition at the time had been on the waiting list for that operation in Ireland for coming up to 2 years.

What should stick in your craw is that our dysfunctional health system left your friend's child on a waiting list for two years.

It would not help one innocent sick child to leave another innocent sick child suffering.

mgn wrote: »
    I think its a case of you have to pay for it upfront, and them the HSE reimburse you, a lot of people may not be in a position to do that.

No, there is no payment required. Once the application is approved, HSE will liaise with the delivering provider abroad to cover it.

No, there is no payment required. Once the application is approved, HSE will liaise with the delivering provider abroad to cover it.

Out of curiosity, do the pay for flights and accommodation upfront also.

I went and googled it out of curiosity, looks like for children they do, and for adults they might contribute based on circumstances but it's not a given:
    Travel expenses
    The Treatment Abroad Scheme does not cover travel or subsistence expenses for you or your relatives.

But we may provide assistance towards reasonable economic air or sea travel fares for you and a travelling companion where appropriate.

If the patient is under 18 or needs assistance when travelling for medical reasons, we will consider providing travel expenses once their application is approved.

https://www2.hse.ie/services/treatment-abroad-scheme/treatment-abroad-scheme-getting-treatment.html

Yes for patient and travelling companion if necessary.

https://www.lenus.ie/bitstream/handle/10147/336887/nationaltreatmentpurchasefund.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

But we are getting way off topic.
    The endemic problems of our health service are not caused by migrants/asylum seekers.

Yes for patient and travelling companion if necessary.

https://www.lenus.ie/bitstream/handle/10147/336887/nationaltreatmentpurchasefund.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

But we are getting way off topic.
    The endemic problems of our health service are not caused by migrants/asylum seekers.

None of the politicians care about the health service now, they're all on the climate change bandwagon.

What should stick in your craw is that our dysfunctional health system left your friend's child on a waiting list for two years.

It would not help one innocent sick child to leave another innocent sick child suffering.

I do not begrudge the child who got the treatment whatsoever and never said I did. I believed but have since been corrected that there was a two tier system whereby the newcomers jump to the top of the list. I acknowledged the poster who told me otherwise.

For a start those figures are for a family of four.

There is definitely a case for speeding up the process but it is not as easy as it looks at first sight.

Your figures for employing someone would need more scrutiny. The cost of an employee is more than the salary.

In the UK it is £37.75 per person in your household but you have to buy your own food out of that. Accommodation, health and education are covered.

https://www.gov.uk/asylum-support/what-youll-get

Family of 4 is a good average. Also haven't included the cost of food, accommodation & medical card. Also I've based it on doing 1 case every 2 months which is a very low base.

Thanks for UK info.

• Advertisement

I do not begrudge the child who got the treatment whatsoever and never said I did. I believed but have since been corrected that there was a two tier system whereby the newcomers jump to the top of the list. I acknowledged the poster who told me otherwise.

Sorry if it appeared that I was calling you a begrudger. That was not my intention.

It is a mark of our humanity that we would look after all sick children no matter what their immigration status.

@ Boggles. Could you answer this one, please? Since you seem to be so against any degree of the detaining of Asylum seekers.

True enough, however, border checks are also there to reinforce the safety of the citizens of the nation by not letting in criminals or those who are of dubious backgrounds.

These migrants claimed asylum but left before they were processed. We have no idea of their real backgrounds, or whether they're wanted for crimes in other countries. We don't know if they're fundamentalists with a hatred of the west, or genuine asylum seekers. We don't know how thorough the police/government checks of them were, because the government rushed to use this as a publicity stunt. Which, to be fair, suggests that such background checks were probably rushed... and so, these people could easily be wanted for serious crimes in other nations.

The fact is that we don't know. That's not to say, though, that we should simply allow everyone to claim asylum and then be free to travel around Ireland. The risks are too high.

Family of 4 is a good average. Also haven't included the cost of food, accommodation & medical card. Also I've based it on doing 1 case every 2 months which is a very low base.

Thanks for UK info.

I don't know the average family group number but a lot seem to be individuals.

Yes you are right about the food and accommodation. Figures are available.

For more than financial reasons quicker decision making would improve matters but I wouldn't like it to be at the expense of good decision making.

You are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,666 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

@ Boggles. Could you answer this one, please? Since you seem to be so against any degree of the detaining of Asylum seekers.

Jesus, shilling your own posts is top work. But you didn't actually ask a question, so what exactly do you want me to answer?

Your post is basically a monologue of your own assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

€7,134 x 6 = €42,806.

What am I missing here?

What cash payments?
    Direct provision?

In the UK its the same payments, think its an EU direction. If they have legal existing family they are sent to them for housing.
    Illegal immigrants are kept initially in detention centres and either deported ( getting rarer through bleeding heart do gooders) or if they have a legitimate claim its processed through a similar system to direct provision

Not to long ago over an asylum seeker raped a woman and was being deported after serving his sentence. On the plane so idiot kicked up blue murder over the poor deportee and held up the plane etc. They had to remove him to get the plane to take off.

They are still trying to get rid. On my phone and can't post a link but Google it and it will come up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Boggles wrote: »
    Jesus, shilling your own posts is top work. But you didn't actually ask a question, so what exactly do you want me to answer?

No answers so? Just do away with all border controls - such as they are - and everyone in like the Rugby Ads? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Thats him but he is still there. There was a last minute appeal and it hasn't been heard as far as I'm aware. I saw an article this week whereby his victim was saying she can't yet fully recover because of all the current media coverage over by the do gooders

• Registered Users Posts: 39,666 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Del.Monte wrote: »
    No answers so?

Have you some sort comprehension difficulty? They didn't ask a question.
    Just do away with all border controls

Why would anyone do that?
    - such as they are - and everyone in like the Rugby Ads? :rolleyes:

Literally not a scooby. Means nothing to me.

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »

Actually, the question was pretty obvious... Guess you need a "?" before you'll consider actually responding with something of value. I'd like to pin you down to actually giving your actual stance on the subject rather than constantly dodging with vague nonsense.

Since these "migrants" have had no background confirmed, and skipped the asylum processing, under what conditions would you believe that claimant asylum seekers should be detained or monitored? If you're still against migrants being detained until their backgrounds are confirmed, I'd like you to justify that stance, taking into account the inherent risks in having migrants from a war-torn land arrive. (justify is also considered a question.]

(No need to comment on asylum seekers who have come from a country not at war, and no, I'm not talking about their last port, as in France)

There you go. Two definite questions. One with a "?" and one without.

Advertisement