Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yeah it’s only Look’s X-Track mtb pedals that use shimano SPD mtb cleats, Look Keo cleats won’t work with SPD-SL pedals and vice versa.

Thank you. I was thinking the exact same thing but the guy in the LBS convinced me otherwise.

I think the most frustrating thing about cycling is the lack of standardisation. It's such a dose. I had no idea when getting the power pedals that I'd have to get new pedals for the winter bike too...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭cletus

If you don't mind me asking, what was his solution, exactly

Not at all. He said the Look cleats I have must have been worn or damaged which is why I couldn't clip in, which didn't make any sense as they work fine on the good bike, and he offered me a new set. I'm not sure he understood my issue fully. I took the new set of cleats as they were just 15e and I will need them at some point and it will save me buying them online.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

He must not have gotten what you were saying, which could happen, you just need Look pedals for the training bike.

Don't degrease the chain. Maybe rub it down with a dry cloth after you have it on to reduce the amount of lubricant on the outside which will pick up dirt but (IMO) that lubricant the Shimano chains is packed with is excellent and should be left on for the first few 100km. After which you can dive down the rabbithole of chain waxing (or run it through a chain cleaner, rinse it and cover it in dry lube).

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot, exactly as I thought. No, he didn't seem to be aware that there was such a thing as a different type of pedal. Ge repeated a few times that pedals are the same, it's the cleat that changes. He was fairly huffy about it too, as if to suggest I was some sort of dope for asking.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

At least with dt swiss spare parts seem to be readily available and you could upgrade that part to a 36t or 54t ratchet if you were feeling swish

Been a while since I asked a stupid question.

Wanted to switch tyres on the new bike, but quickly realised they're set up tubeless from the factory (I thought they came tubeless ready). So, I wanted to ask the hive mind for some recommendations for sealant, and if there are any pitfalls I should try to avoid doing my first swap.

One other thing, I'll be putting the tyres from the new bike on an old bike. Do I need them to be completely sealant free before putting inner tubes in?

Thanks in advance, people

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Silent night

Probably been asked hundred times before but what type of solution wash would you use to clean down bike and chain thanks

There's loads of relatively expensive bike specific cleaning products out there Muc-Off is probably the best known.

Really, though, soapy water will clean you frame (washing up liquid in warm water will be absolutely fine). For the chain, you can pick up general kitchen degreaser sprays in Lidl, Aldi, Mr. Price, Deals etc for small money, and they'll all work fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Do I need them to be completely sealant free before putting inner tubes in?

I would clean as best you can. I've moved tubeless MTB tyres onto a different set of wheels (non tubeless) and even though the sealant was gone, it was sticky so I can only assume that the tubes are now stuck to the tyre- at least in spots.

Thanks for that. Any recommendations for sealant?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Not in particular, i used stans last time and that's empty so I'm going to have to search for something. Procrastination is getting the better of me!

That said. I've tubeless wheels and no bike to put them on so there's no urgency!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭JMcL

I've been using Stan's Notubes and it's fine, though I can't confirm whether I've had the opportunity to be thankful for it. It does seem to be well regarded though. It's quite thin, though they have a "race" version as well which is gloopier apparently, and I think will seal bigger holes. I also got a syringe (https://www.alltricks.fr/F-11929-outillage/P-111025-notubes_seringue_d_injection_preventif___embouts) which makes measuring and putting it into the tyre a doddle (this won't work with the race version apparently)

Thanks folks

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Silent night

Two in one week for me.

Creak from the cockpit area. Alu handlebar and stem, carbon steerer.

I'm thinking it's at the interface between stem and steerer. It's bone dry. Do I need to get some carbon paste?

Adjusting HYRD brakes

I'm almost certain this or a similar question has been answered in the past couple of months, but with the state of the search function on the site, I'm damned if I can find it

I've TRP HYRD cable actuated hydraulic brakes on one of the bikes, The brakes work very well generally, but recently I find I'm having to pull very hard on especially the rear before they'll engage - almost all the way to the bars. They do still stop the bike, but I'm not overly comfortable with the amount of pull required

There's plenty of wear left in the pads, and I gave them a go with sandpaper. There's a couple of things that spring to mind:

1. Adjust cable tension - the cable looks like it's got some slack in it
    2. They need bled - this needs done anyway, so I'll need to get a bleed kit and It's a bigger operation as I'll need to take the brakes off the bike, so I'm going to defer it until I get back from the holidays

So going back to option 1 which I can tackle with what I have to hand, there's a lock knob, which is supposed to screw in to the actuator arm to keep it in the correct place while tensioning the cable. Mine doesn't screw in and this document - https://trpcycling.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/TRP-HYRD-Technical-Bulletin-English-Rev-B.pdf - suggests that this means compensation for pad wear won't work, and suggests following the cable installation and adjust instructions in the manual. This is a bit of a chicken and egg situation however as the first thing it says is to lock out the actuator arm.

There's a tech video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcZKtFI8Els&t=381s) which suggests adjusting a couple of adjuster screws for the push rod to align the lock knob, but there's no mention of that in the manual

Not 100% sure the best way to proceed - any thoughts?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the barrel adjuster should modify how much lever throw is required to actuate the brakes; and if you've got slack in the cable, this is the first thing i'd reach for.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

Is it a tight cable preventing the actuator from retracting fully, so it doesn't line up with the lock knob? Obviously tightening it further isn't going to help if that's the case; it will need to be slackened off to allow extra fluid in to compensate for wear.

Wouldn't be the first time I've seen cable operated discs set up with too-tight cables, despite clear instructions with all types that full actuator travel is a must.

• Advertisement

the barrel adjuster should modify how much lever throw is required to actuate the brakes; and if you've got slack in the cable, this is the first thing i'd reach for.

That'd be my thinking as well, though the adjuster doesn't seem to want to rotate in either direction - I might give it a go with pliers to see if there's any give.

Is it a tight cable preventing the actuator from retracting fully, so it doesn't line up with the lock knob? Obviously tightening it further isn't going to help if that's the case; it will need to be slackened off to allow extra fluid in to compensate for wear.

It does look like there's some slack in the cable. The actuator seems to be spring loaded, hence I assume the adjustable push rod I mentioned from the vid - I'll need to have a closer look to see whether it needs to slack off or tighten up so the lock knob will engage. Neither front nor back lock nuts are engaging, and manipulating the actuator doesn't seem to line them up, so maybe the push rod does need slacked off

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Lube your front skewer's threads and locking mechanism.

I had a phantom front-end-creak a while back and that's what solved it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

That'd be my thinking as well, though the adjuster doesn't seem to want to rotate in either direction - I might give it a go with pliers to see if there's any give.

i'll check mine in the morning; trying to remember if possibly thre barrel adjuster has to be pulled out before it will move?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Is there such thing as a dual garmin mounting for a canyon aerocockbit set of bars? One that has the 90 degree turn lock for a garmin above and a light below?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Do people use protective tapes on their carbon frames? If yes any suggestions? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

So to update, I slacked off the pinch bolts and despite it looking like there had been some slack in the cable, this allowed the actuator arm move out a bit to engage the lock nut. I also discovered that the rear barrel adjuster was fully screwed out, not in, so changed that. Brakes seem to be slightly better now, but there's still a lot of pull required in the levers before they engage. I suspect therefore that I've got a bleed kit winging its way to me in the near future, and I'll be conservative on the brakes in the meantime - not that that'll be easy as I'm off to Serre Chevalier next week, though I suspect I'll be sticking to the valley floor - I'll use the brakes rather than my lack of fitness as an excuse 😁 (not that that's flat - it still rises 800m in about 25km from Briancon to Col du Lautaret - look at the start of today's stage of Le Tour 😬)

Cheers. I did get the rear to move after slacking off and re-tightening the pinch bolt, but the front refuses to budge in either direction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

The cable itself might need replacing, did mine last year & it helped alot.

• Advertisement

Aye, it may well do - I'd suspect a bit of stretching anyway. The whole bike needs a bit of TLC as it's the one that gets mainly used for winter/bad weather, and I've done little beyond cleaning, lubing, and a couple of new chains over the past few years. The bottom bracket needs looked at and from looking at it closely while fiddling with the brake yesterday, the cassette is due a change as well. I'll change the cables as well. I think a bit of shopping over the next month or two followed by a big service is on the cards

Advertisement