Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Yes and no, yes in that you can slot it in and ride as a replacement and the only change you would have to make is possibly tighten or loosen the brakes dependent on rim width. No in that they won't match your front visually but it won't be far of it and unless you are tied to it being a perfect match, it will operate just fine. The Cosmics, and someone can correct me, are a bit deeper.

For the same money you could pick up a set of Alloy Hunts so you have matching wheels that are fairly light and now you have an emergency front wheel. Also if the rear hub is OK, you might get a wheelbuilder to pick up a decent rim and build up a decent back up rear wheel as well for a reasonable price but I don't know enough about Mavic hubs to see if this is worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭JMcL

I just noticed what looks to be a bulging o-ring sitting just above the head tube when I was putting the bike back on the car rack after the W100 the other day. You can see it n the photo below. There are two of them - the one bulging out, then another over that just below the (rigid) ring marked "IS2". The both appear to be a thin, soft rubber or plastic material and I imagine are to keep water out. It's a Van Nicholas and the headset is marked "Tange Seiki TechoGlide" which, while a new one on me, appear to have been around for a long time.

It looks like I can just ease the bulging bit back under the other, but curious as to whether it's anything to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 7,914 ✭✭✭cletus

I'd be inclined to open it up and have a look. If that seal/whatever is soft and has extruded like that, it's likely to be out of shape and might need replacing. I'd also just be curious as to how the headset looks re. water and dirt ingress.

Having said all that, it's probably not anything particularly serious

Yes but I suppose a better question would be what type of riding are you doing, there are alloy wheels which are lighter for half the price. https://eu.huntbikewheels.com/products/hunt-race-season-aero-wide-road-wheelset-1480g-31deep-24wide

I can lend you a pair if you want to try them out.

Once it's a road wheel for rim brakes and has a Shimano hub you are almost guaranteed to be sorted. If money is not a concern, then any of the wheels you have linked so far will do the job very nicely. Carbon looks nicer but the benefits are only really apparent if racing (IMO).

Long story short, if you are concerned about value and want to get good bang for buck but are not racing, then go with the above or similar. If you don't care about the cost, just want something that looks bling or is for racing, pretty much every wheel you have linked so far will do the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Hi Marty,

If you’re interested in a set of Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon wheels, let me know.

Can be supplied with tyres, cassette and chain also as per your current setup

No worries if you’re already sorted or if you’ve decided on something else 👍

Yeah I would, can you send me some details on them thanks.

Yeah Cram they’re for racing thanks for the help appreciate it.

You'll race fine on the alloys, won my first two races on my set at A3 level but since its not just for rolling around hills and you have the cash, go for the carbons. They look faster, therefore they are faster #fact. At that price range, what your looking for is reasonable weight (sub 1600g, preferably less than 1500g (my carbons are 1350g but are 1599euro from a quick google, 50mm deep, stupid money and could get the same for cheaper somewhere I am sure) and some aerodynamic properties. Anywhere between 30 and 50mm is appropriate for Irish road races (IMO), anything deeper is likely to get yanked by the wind, and anything less, well, why bother. All of the wheels you linked are decent. I would pick the HUNTS but only because I like the look, no real benefit other than that as far as I can tell unless you stick up all your options and we can get really technical but realistically, for the Irish road racing scene, it isn't your wheels at most levels that make the difference. They might help but they won't be the deciding factor in 99.9% of cases.

A better question at this point is what is your budget?

Not sure what the forum rules say exactly but the handiest thing is for you to send me a message and we can swap details there

• Advertisement

This isn't the adverts forum so as long as you take the discussion to PM you are fine AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

You're looking to reduce tension, so turn it clockwise. Essentially you're closing it down

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

that's standing behind the barrel? i.e. behind the bike

Yeah, standing behind the bike, in general. When you turn the adjuster, you'll see the inner metal piece move in or out of the housing that you actually turn. You want it to move into the housing

That direction (if this picture doesn't muddy the waters even more 😀)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

No.

The barrel adjuster fine tunes the indexing. But for the top and bottom gear your use the Limit screws.

If I’m going to adjust the H screw, I shift it into the smallest cog. Open the cable clamp screw and take all the tension off the cable. Bottom out the barrel adjuster. Adjust the H screw. Then tension the cable again and fine tune your shifting using the barrel adjuster.

You don’t need to do this very often though. Indexing problems can be solved using the barrel adjust most of the time.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

I’m thinking to convert a short cage Ultegra 8050 RD to medium cage. I can that the parts are available here:

and here:

Just wondering if anyone else has done this? Aim is to run a 36x32 or possibly a 34x32 - currently on 36x28. Is it a difficult conversion?

I saw some suggestion that it’s not Just the cage length that’s relevant for what cassette size can be run but I didn’t really understand it. Besides a new chain, is there anything else to consider?

I’ve dismantled rear derailleurs for maintenance (6700 and 6800 variants) and as far as I can see, you have the parts required for your conversion outlined. But Having never done this exact job I can’t say for sure if that’s all you will need or if it will be successful.

Have you considered changing the small ring to a 34 instead of the 36? Then you could run 34-30 at least...

Hadnt thought of that but a bit worried I would miss the lower gears moving from 52 to 50 for descending. Maybe it’s not something that you’d notice in reality? Assume I would need to change to 50/34 as 52/34 is not recommended?

It’s not recommended to run 52-34 but not condemned as far as I know.

There may be someone’s here who runs it?

I guess if the front derailleur is set correctly and chain is correct length, there shouldn’t be an issue

• Advertisement

In reality, unless you are spinning out with the 52 at the front, you won't notice it being a 50.

I think Mr.Cats is changing down to 50 but to answer this, technically Shimano say its to big a drop (someone can correct me, off the top of my head they say no more than 16 teeth in the difference), in reality, it should be fine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Would you not just try a 32t cassette on the existing derailleur? It's rated up to 30 and Shimano are always conservative with that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭hesker

It works fine for some but can be a problem apparently on short chainstay bikes.

If it were me I’d try fitting a 32t on rear first.

Thanks - am going to try the 32 on rear first and see how that goes. If there’s issues will do the cage conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Bit of an odd one this. I have a large Kryptonite M18 lock with an 18mm shackle diameter, weighs 2.7kg - in spite of it being a Kryptonite product, the standard holders sold by Kryptonite don't fit it. There is an after-market product made by a US firm but they don't seem to ship to Europe. I want a holder that fastens it to frame as if I leave it resting on frame it scratches it. Short term solution, use cable ties wrapped around the lock and the shackle for a standard Kryptonite but even the strongest cable ties I could find in Woodies keep breaking due to weight of the lock over bumps etc. Can any of you guys with a more practical mindset than I think of a better solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,836 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

do you have a rack/carrier on the bike - could lay it flat.

^ I don't, I use a backpack if I am carrying stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Have you tried the Velcro type cable ties? They are very strong

Good idea, I will check Woodies tomorrow. Do you know do they have them usually?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

No sorry I’m not sure where I’ve seen them lately, I reckon they’ll have them though

Advertisement