Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Options
1204205206207208210»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Alas mine are the rim brake ultegra version which are apparently different than the rest and not actually wireless. Wish I'd known that before I put in a new BB. I'd have held back I think. Guess I'll be a few more days waiting for a long di2 cable (large frame) and a new BB. FML. First time I've been utterly disappointed with Shimano instructions as it was not clear to me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭omri

Anyone could explain why there sometimes are spacers for the bottom bracket, I think I used to have some on the deore xt cranks but there were none on the bike with the ultegra cranks. Is it something to do with the crankset, bottom bracket or frame itself ?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Over the last number of months, I've traced a rattle noise to my rear Scribe wheel, which reveals itself mainly over bumpy roads (initially I thought it was my mudguard so it's that kind of rattle). I checked the cassette was tight enough (it was) and figured that before I open it up I'd look at replacing the cassette which I did just now.

I've not yet tried it to see if the rattle is gone (fingers crossed) but what I did notice was that the grey piece on the freehub was broken leaving only the bit between the two screws. There is another of these things on the other side of the freehub (obviously not in the photo) but it is ok.

What is this piece and how important is it?
    Is it ok that I've put a new cassette onto the freehub in this condition?

https://scribecycling.com/en-eu/products/centrelock-hub-set

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭cletus

It would seem that they are "anti-bite steel strips to protect the splines from damage."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

So the part of the hub designed to protect the hub from damage, is damaged?

• Advertisement

That would be quite a succinct and astute observation...

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

you could eliminate the anti bite guard from your rattle enquiries by removing it and running the cassette on the freehub without it.
    You could probably order a spare strip from Scribe. I remember doing this for a different brand of hub in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭54and56

At the risk of disproving the thread title can anyone tell me how to re-attach the port cover for a 105 Di2 charging port? I went to charge it today and when flicking open the cover (possibly with a little too much force :-( ) the cover and it's retaining "hinge" just popped off and for the life of me I can't get the retaining hinge back into it's little slot despite having tried lubricating the tip of the hinge with washing up liquid. Is there a special tool (apart from myself!) needed to pop this back in place? I can bring it to my LBS but would prefer not to. I feel enough of an idiot admitting such stupidity here without having to endure an in-person version of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

@CramCycle I found this website very good when I recently installed that groupset

https://bettershifting.com/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Thanks, alas I finished yesterday Had to get another Di2 wire (took a few days) when I found out that unlike all the other new Dio2, the rim brake ones are not wireless and do need to be routed through the battery, which I only learned after I had reinstalled the BB. All done now, having a bit of an issue with alignment in a way I have never had with old school cable shifters but I have all the gears I regularly use doing their job and the limits are in place so I won't lose the derailleur into the spokes or the chain into the frame. This said my junction box and other cables were additional and my LBS are taking them back, which is nice.

First impressions, pretty smooth but I find the GRX shifters more comfy (and probably would have went for these had they done rim brakes).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Hi all,

I got my gravel bike serviced by the LBS. However, my disc brakes are starting to squeel just before the bike comes to a complete stop/ at traffic lights

It’s fine when braking at speed. There’s plenty of meat left on the pads so I don’t think I need to replace these?!

I have cleaned the rotor and pads with disc brake cleaner and gave them both a sanding with heavy grit sandpaper. Issue still persists. Any ideas before I go back to the bike shop?

Thanks!

Post edited by ironictoaster on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,081 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Broke a spoke on my back wheel, now the little bit at the bottom has got caught in behind the casette. I cannot get it out myself, its properly wedged in there and means the freewheel is also not working.

I am in the sticks for a few days, specifically have today and tmoro off work to go cycling. Called the nearest lbs, said he couldnt help me with wheels/spokes, directed me to a larger place but its 60k away. I guess i have to take the cassette off but no idea how to do that

You'd need a special socket to remove and re-mount the cassette (and possibly a 40Nm torque wrench)

Where abouts are you? If you're near me I can do it for you, otherwise there may be other boardsies close enough to you to give a dig out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,081 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Thanks, got is sorted from someone who had the required tools, it'll do now til i get it into a proper shop next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Any experience on Shimano press fit bb's, how long they last? That ticking noise has appeared again, similar to which was on my other threaded one. I do further investigations though. It's done approx. 10k kms already.
    I was able to re-grease my threaded bb, is this possible with the press fit at all?
    Despite of saying this, the old bike is clocked up 30k kms with a clicky bb, with no play on the pedals.

Advertisement