Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oughterard people - see OP for Mod warning 29/09/19

Options
  • 13-09-2019 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

The people from oughterard who are complaining about getting a direct provision center are coming across very bad, Their excuses on prime time last night were very incoherent. I can understand people in remote parts of Donegal because that's the middle of nowhere but oughterard is like 20 minutes from Galway city, there are lots of busses during the day to to the city. What's their problem like?

Mod warning 29/09/19
    Beasty wrote: »
    I've just gone through a lot of posts made during the course of today. Those of you demanding proof/evidence to support claims made would do well to follow your own advice

Now this forum allows posters to express opinions. If you wish to claim "facts" to support your position, please be prepared to back them up with substantive evidence. If you can't do so, do not repeat your claims, as that is akin to trolling

People responding to claims - do not go on about it repeatedly. Make your point and move on

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this warning in-thread

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭IK09

Not from Oughterard myself, but live close by and know it well.

Didnt see PrimeTime.

Oughterard is a tourist spot. The place is always crawling in tourists, however, the tourists are typically only passing through because of inadequate Hotels. There has been a Hotel that has been shutdown since the crash as a result of the usual Banking/Lending/NAMA scenario.

Oughterard is a lovely Town and the people there are nice. I can understand why they are upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭victor8600

Doblin wrote: »
    ...What's their problem like?

Even though I am a liberal leftie myself, I would support the town's residents on this. Basically what I would object to is putting 250 people into a small town, because these people are forbidden to work, have very little money and are basically tied to the place. Even if they were Buddist monks and having the patience of saints, the boredom of having nothing to do in a small town will drive some people mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I thought they spoke very well unlike the blustering politician

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

.. What's their problem like?

The same as most people in this country NIMBY.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭IK09

Anyone have a link to it? Havent seen it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I thought they spoke very well unlike the blustering politician
    I didn't see it but they probably had funny accents that some Doblin people couldn't understand. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

The two residents came across far better than the Fine Gaeler who was all over the place.

The residents need to be listened to. A small country town is no place for hundreds of migrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

I didn't see it but they probably had funny accents that some Doblin people couldn't understand. ;)

Where is Doblin? In Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

A village with a population of circa 1300, a suggestion to place 250 asylum amongst the community? Piss poor idea tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

keano_afc wrote: »

The residents need to be listened to. A small country town is no place for hundreds of migrants.

But the place is always crawling with tourists

They'll just be long stay tourists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Achebe

It's a shame they can't welcome them like the good people of Ballaghaderreen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Do we have any case studies? I’m sure there are small towns in Ireland already that have direct provision accommodation. How have they fared?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

She came from Laois she had a thirst for porter,
    She was wrecked but I liked her daughter,
    That's why I,
    Passed her by.
    She told me that her Dad a daycent farm,
    I said "In that case I'll turn on the charm."
    She said "Fine."
    And in thirty seconds time she said,

I want to live like Oughterard people,
    I want to do whatever Oughterard people do,
    I want to sleep with Oughterard people,
    I want to sleep with Oughterard people,
    Like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

keano_afc wrote: »
    A small country town is no place for hundreds of migrants.

Ireland as a country is no place for hundreds of migrants, take a ride over to Balbriggan and see how well that community is faring

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

.. What's their problem like?

The same as most people in this country NIMBY.

Maybe they are wondering who asked them if they wanted a group of people from a very different culture forced upon them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Nobody wants fake refugees/migrants leaving near them, what a surprise. Irish people never asked for these chancers to come here. If they want to put these direct provision centres somewhere well then why don't they put them in Foxrock or Killiney instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The in sync condemnation of noel grealish is predictable, it's a repeat of the Peter casey episode, stray from the aprooved line about a progressive liberal sacred cow and you will be attacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Direct provision should have a pretend job. Not interfering with the market. Completely fake job.

The asylum seekers should have to work in it for a few months. If they can be employed and prove they can contribute to society they should be given a work permit if they wont and are able bodied and of good mind they should be sent packing.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

No consultation with locals.
    No consultation with the migrants.
    No preplanning.
    No assessment if the locality can cope.
    No assessment of medical and school capacity.

Basically dumping 250 people on a community with little or no help.

And then calling them racist if they don't comply.

What a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The social democratic take on things
    https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=895081304203213&id=100011040543342

As I have said earlier, social democrats will walk all over the locals to get what they want.
    In other places it's not uncommon for them to run the centres and profit directly from their own politics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

I'm conflicted. On the one hand, The Guardian has told me to hate and despise the movement of rich people in significant numbers to an area. I spit on gentrification and support the rights of locals.

But I'm also told to love and embrace the movement of large numbers of people from different countries (as long as they're not rich) because local culture is stale and diversity is the best thing in the world. Locals can get stuffed.

I just dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

It's the sneaky way they tried to slip one over on the residents.....I saw what they did there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

gctest50 wrote: »
    But the place is always crawling with tourists

They'll just be long stay tourists

LOL. A good long rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

biko wrote: »

Thanks. What would I do without somebody posting random facebook links here. Discussion fora are in the past. Maybe somebody will counter with a killer twitter link?

biko wrote: »
    The social democratic take on things
    https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=895081304203213&id=100011040543342

As I have said earlier, social democrats will walk all over the locals to get what they want.

Jesus is it not common knowledge that them signs were invented years later and never actually were on display at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭enricoh

What will 250 migrants add to the town?

Answer - absolutely nothing, hotel owner becomes a millionaire n thats about it. Thanks but no thanks leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    The in sync condemnation of noel grealish is predictable, it's a repeat of the Peter casey episode, stray from the aprooved line about a progressive liberal sacred cow and you will be attacked.

Noel Grealish is 100% correct in what he said in that the vast majority of ''refugees'' in this country are only economic migrants.

The liberal bleeding hearts will destroy this country if given half a chance but will be nowhere to be seen or heard when all the problems arise.

enricoh wrote: »
    What will 250 migrants add to the town?

Answer - absolutely nothing, hotel owner becomes a millionaire n thats about it. Thanks but no thanks leo.

Local politician is just doing it out of the goodness of his heart also.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Noel Grealish is 100% correct in what he said in that the vast majority of ''refugees'' in this country are only economic migrants.

The liberal bleeding hearts will destroy this country if given half a chance but will be nowhere to be seen or heard when all the problems arise.
    The other thread hereabouts about TV intros had one on 70's documentary The World at War about the second world war. I had an oul look again at a couple of episodes that evening and one on the fall of France after Germany invaded mentioned the terrible state of the long lines of civillian refugees fleeing the conflict. And you know what stands out, and stands out with any such genuine refugee flood? the vast majority of refugees were women and children and old people. Vanishingly few young men. Compare and contrast with the current so called chancers "refugee crisis". The ratio is completely reversed. Nearly all young men. Hmmmm. Or as I like to call it; utter bollocks.

Families, women and kids, the elderly? No problem with those folks coming here as genuine refugees from actual warzones. Young men coming across the Mediterranean in their hundreds of thousands? Bugger off, go home.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Could you imagine currently having your house for sale in Oughterard, looking to move elsewhere and then this news arises. 2 weeks ago it was a nice town that could be treated as a base for commuting to Galway. Who the hell would buy now in a place where 1/5th of the population are new migrants?

Obviously the migrants don't have it easy either, but ffs put them in a place big enough to handle them and not completely ruin the fabric of the town.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement