Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oughterard people - see OP for Mod warning 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,599 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Continuous rejections from day one up to 15 years. They will be still hear in those long 15 years dx.

Their presence will hardly be noticed in the hundreds of thousands of foreign workers here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Their presence will hardly be noticed in the hundreds of thousands of foreign workers here.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

As long as these people are UN vetted from War zones, I would have no issue. But are they?

The nub of Grealish's statement at the meeting was that they are likely not to be.

He was asked to withdraw the remarks (today by the highest executive office in the land no less).

He wasn't however challenged as to the accuracy of his remarks as such, which is different.

Is that telling?

I think in the same way historians are baffled looking at how the Irish famine occurred whist there was food being shipped out of the ports of the country, future historians may review this period and amaze at archived message boards like this at how so many illegals with bogus asylum claims were fed and found by the Irish exchequer whilst the majority of public knew what was really happening.

jay0109 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

40% of the population of Ballyhaunis are foreign. Did that cause their community to collapse?

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp7md/p7md/p7anii/

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

I had to look it up and it's hard to find links. Most of the stories are about the Irishman facing deportation from the USA. Anyway these figures are from the Irish Times a year ago, and the striking feature is how many people chose to go voluntarily. This disproves the statement made by the other poster, who claimed nobody ever leaves once they come here.

A total of 9,197 deportation orders have been made since 2011 while only one in five of those who received these orders – 1,857 people – have been deported from Ireland.

Some 5,504 people facing deportation have been granted permission to remain following a re-examination of their case since 2011. Another 2,245 returned home voluntarily. So far this year, 174 people facing deportation have chosen to leave voluntarily.

What I said, or was trying to say was that nobody will be sent back against their wish to stay here claiming torture or death awaits them if they are sent back. If an illegal asylum seeker comes here and wants to stay, then that person will constantly appeal to stay here even if it takes a decade of appeals, and after that they will still reside here. Any migrant that gets to Ireland know's what to say for longevity assistance.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Advertisement

I did some sums here and 250 of 1300 is nearly 20%. Its 19.23% percent to be precise. Adding nearly 20% of the current population of the village is far too much. Its madness.

The population is over 2,600. Their spokesman was asked how there could be 800 at the meeting from 1300, unless all the children were left to fend for themselves. The 2600+ comes from the Census.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 CelticSeaShip

The population is over 2,600. Their spokesman was asked how there could be 800 at the meeting from 1300, unless all the children were left to fend for themselves. The 2600+ comes from the Census.

I quoted a poster who wrote a village with a population circa 1300 people.

Whatever the percent is, its madness. I'm just after watching the prime time on the player and the two people who spoke from oughterard came across very well. They said they don't have a garda station there in the village. It consists of an intercom. They had a doctor there but he retired. The schools are at full capacity. They don't have the services for themselves nevermind 250 extra people.

I quoted a poster who wrote a village with a population circa 1300 people.

Whatever the percent is, its madness. I'm just after watching the prime time on the player and the two people who spoke from oughterard came across very well. They said they don't have a garda station there in the village. It consists of an intercom. They had a doctor there but he retired. The schools are at full capacity. They don't have the services for themselves nevermind 250 extra people.

I know nothing about the area, but apparently there is a doctor, unless this is out of date.

https://www.irelandstats.com/gp/dr-peter-harte-gms-health-centre/

Dr. Peter Harte (GMS) can be found at Health Centre, Oughterard, Co. Galway. The general practice's phone number is (091) 552449. Among the HSE contracted general practices in the area, there are 2 within the radius of 5 km, 2 within 10 km and 53 within 30 km.
    Registered address: Health Centre, Oughterard, Co. Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭irishproduce

No consultation with locals.
    No consultation with the migrants.
    No preplanning.
    No assessment if the locality can cope.
    No assessment of medical and school capacity.

Basically dumping 250 people on a community with little or no help.

And then calling them racist if they don't comply.

What a mess.

And dumping is the correct word.
    Ticking a box, at a European level, yeah were doing our bit in Ireland.
    Those making the decisions just need to dump em off somewhere and say we took em in.
    Meanwhile the people living there have their town changed and disrupted.
    But fück them sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

40% of the population of Ballyhaunis are foreign. Did that cause their community to collapse?

Bit different with them moving to Ballyhaunis for work reasons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Congratulations on the most stupid post of the week on boards.

There are villages and small towns in the midlands which have been ruined by Dublin local authorities buying up cheap houses and rehousing families from different areas of Dublin

I know nothing about the area, but apparently there is a doctor, unless this is out of date.

https://www.irelandstats.com/gp/dr-peter-harte-gms-health-centre/

Dr. Peter Harte (GMS) can be found at Health Centre, Oughterard, Co. Galway. The general practice's phone number is (091) 552449. Among the HSE contracted general practices in the area, there are 2 within the radius of 5 km, 2 within 10 km and 53 within 30 km.
    Registered address: Health Centre, Oughterard, Co. Galway.

The lad in the prime time said they had 1 gp in the area but he recently retired. I don't know what that means and whether there has been a replacement gp since, I don't know. From watching that piece, I gather there is no doctor there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

What I said, or was trying to say was that nobody will be sent back against their wish to stay here claiming torture or death awaits them if they are sent back. If an illegal asylum seeker comes here and wants to stay, then that person will constantly appeal to stay here even if it takes a decade of appeals, and after that they will still reside here. Any migrant that gets to Ireland know's what to say for longevity assitance.

Thats it. Makes the whole system pointless then. Why continue with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

keano_afc wrote: »
    The two residents came across far better than the Fine Gaeler who was all over the place.

The residents need to be listened to. A small country town is no place for hundreds of migrants.

Why is it no place for hundreds of migrants? Depends on the town. I'm from Ballyhaunis. There's been immigrants living there for 40 years and more than 60% of the population is non-natural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Doblin

Obviously a good chunk of asylum seekers are just chancing their arm and are no more fleeing war than the man on the moon but what I don't understand is what are locals afraid of? Do they think these people are going to be going around committing crime? Doing drugs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

How do they get here?

Simple question really.

How do they get here?

Simple question really.

The EU and the UN sent them.

There was a fella from west Africa with a deportation order against him on Joe Duffy a few weeks ago who was hiding out in a tent in a forest somewhere in rural Ireland. Some of the locals who were also onto Joe were looking after him giving him food, clothes etc. The guy said the was fleeing war but later admitted he wanted asylum so that he could live with his Dutch girlfriend in the Netherlands.

Doblin wrote: »
    Obviously a good chunk of asylum seekers are just chancing their arm and are no more fleeing war than the man on the moon but what I don't understand is what are locals afraid of? Do they think these people are going to be going around committing crime? Doing drugs ?

Did you watch the prime time? From the two people who spoke from oughterard, they believe they don't have the capacity or the services to look after these people.

Did you watch the prime time? From the two people who spoke from oughterard, they believe they don't have the capacity or the services to look after these people.
    oughterard is not Tory Island, it's an easy distance from Galway city. If the schools/gp practice in oughterard can't accommodate these asylum seekers, then they can go to school/the doctor in Galway city or moycullen or Salthill or knocknacara

• Advertisement

The EU and the UN sent them.

Syrians ok because of the war. What about everyone else? Nigerians, Albanians and so on.

Trafficking maybe, or just chancing their arms. But still am baffled as to why Ireland is a destination. I know about the SW payments and all that, but still... WTF.

But then again there is Facebook and other means of communication obviously that says how easy it is to land here and life will be great.

What happened to the first landfall. Can someone come from Albania or Nigeria direct to Ireland? No, didn't think so, but they do.

Sounds to me like an organised thing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Thanks be to God that Hotel did terrible business! All those tourists in the town would have put an awful burden on it.

In fairness, though. There are a bunch of small villages around Galway that have teachers who may lose their jobs due to not having enough students. My own niece is going to start school next year (a year earlier than originally planned) just because at the school nearest to them there is a child registered to start next year, while it's looking like there won't be any the year after that and her parents don't want her to be completely alone in class or possibly be sent to another school.

They should try to get them and others into housing in those types of areas to help save the villages.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

But then again there is Facebook and other means of communication obviously that says how easy it is to land here and life will be great.

Got any links?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

Doblin wrote: »

Yeah. We think they're all here on ther equivalent of a Magaluf holiday, a nice holiday and a few drugs. Sure the authorities at diffrent borders vetting their asylum status just wave them through, never checking their details. The man on the moon has more clue about this than you do,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,292 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Working Class rebellion in Oughterard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Bit different with them moving to Ballyhaunis for work reasons

Ballyhaunis has a direct provision centre AFAIK.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Got any links?

Why?

Do you not believe this is organised, given the Dublin Agreement. How do they end up here from Albania and Nigeria for example.

Any direct flights to Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Have you ever looked at the amount of property for sale in ballyhaunis or the price of it..??? Probably one of the cheapest towns in mayo or Galway to purchase....I wonder why...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭jmreire

Why is it no place for hundreds of migrants? Depends on the town. I'm from Ballyhaunis. There's been immigrants living there for 40 years and more than 60% of the population is non-natural.

Just asking, would the "immigrant's" who arrived 40 year's ago have been Halal Butchers to work in the meat factory? I remember a long time ago, there was a public outcry about shipping live cattle to Muslim Country's like Libya etc. So to get around that, they got Muslim Halal butchers from abroad to slaughter the cattle here in Ireland, and ship them then as dead meat. If these are the same guy's, how has it worked out with them? Have they really settled in? Became "More Irish than the Irish themselves, as it were?

• Advertisement

Why?

Do you not believe this is organised, given the Dublin Agreement. How do they end up here from Albania and Nigeria for example.

Any direct flights to Dublin?

Nigerians were one of the non national group who had a large presence even prior to the mass EU immigration. Mostly here to work in the health service. But it was small numbers relative to the British and Americans. Even now it is under 10,000 and without checking I think the population of Nigeria is over 300 million. Albanians are a small number, but there are small numbers from various countries.

Edit. The population of Nigeria is 190 million.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement