Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oughterard people - see OP for Mod warning 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Serious question.

How can we stop these bogus asylum seekers from coming here?

Simple. Instead of have idiots ''rescuing'' them from the middle of the ocean, leave them there. The fake refugees will learn their lesson very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Ireland should follow GB's lead and GTFO of the EU

NI is supposed to be leaving as well. No border in the Irish Sea please.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The numbers are very small compared to EU nationals like British, Poles and Lithuanians. Hundreds of thousand of those people. Do you want them stopped as well?

That is part of the Free movement amongst EU members surely?

What right have non EU to arrive on our shores/airports without a visa? Unless vetted by UN?

That is part of the Free movement amongst EU members surely?

What right have non EU to arrive on our shores/airports without a visa? Unless vetted by UN?

If they are economic migrants rather than refugees or asylum seekers, they might make a better go of things than some of the EU arrivals. That is generally the history of emigration/immigration, including the Irish.

250 Dubs who speak at best a weird variation of the language, have no desire to integrate, have little work experience or skill would not get a warm welcome many places outside the pale.

Have you matured your moonshine up on the mountain there? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Each village / town / city / county & country has a balanced mix of people. The smaller the size, the better the balance and the more prone to being affect by change.

Putting 250 people into a small town is a disaster waiting to happen. Putting 10-15 would still be a lot at any one time in a small town. 250 people is like driving a truck at 100mph(and not a milk cart at 4mph!!) through a 2D pyramid of empty boxes placed in the middle of the road. A total cluster ***k waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Grealish is the 2nd item on the 9pm news. The Liberals have their pitchforks out

edit - it includes a report from Wicklow and the direct provision centre there. One of the residents is a white South African asylum seeker...you couldn't make it up!

jay0109 wrote: »
    Grealish is the 2nd item on the 9pm news. The Liberals have their pitchforks out

I am betting that he is supported 100%. despite what the right on media think now.

Elections will tell all. That is anonymous. Wait and see, I think he played a blinder.

No point in being an elected rep for your area if you don't represent them.

I am betting that he is supported 100%. despite what the right on media think now.

Elections will tell all. That is anonymous. Wait and see, I think he played a blinder.

This might be an early move to be the next President.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Yeah he's pretty much sealed re election with this. It's not even that contraversial

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭malinheader

Just watching the rte news. Just wondering how many takes it took to get all the locals in wicklow welcoming it with open arms. Good old rte.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

What annoys me about this conversation is that we will only ever hear one side of the story on the media. RTE will no doubt discuss this on the 9 o clock news tonight with a representative from some anti-racism charity and a TD from PBP. The prevailing view is that we should allow for unfettered migration, peace and love to everyone.

The second you question the economic legitimacy of unfettered mass importation of people with no qualifications, no ability to speak the language and no desire to ever integrate, you are branded a racist.

This proposed arrival of 200+ people to Oughterard is a really obviously terrible, ill-thought out idea, common sense allows one to easily see that. And yet how quick Leo is to condemn Mr Grealish for his views. Not so quick to condemn Ms Bailey or provide the completed report on her conduct to the public.

People are sick of being talked down to on issues such as this and we'll see it play out again now over the coming days.

Why do people persist in saying this type of stuff over and over again, even if it doesn't correspond with reality?

Prime Time covered the story last night and gave more airtime to the local residents than to the Fine Gael politician on the other side of the story. Their views weren't silenced in any way and they haven't been silenced in the media since the story became news. Let's get a few things straight to begin with anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

250 Dubs who speak at best a weird variation of the language, have no desire to integrate, have little work experience or skill would not get a warm welcome many places outside the pale.

There are many Dublin accents you will find if you actually visited different area's of Dublin and also County Dublin. Strange post you forwarded.

We here in Ireland have almost every nationality in the world living here on this small island now, it's good to have many different culture's I find. My main problem is with the government and the fact that once a migrant lands foot on Irish soil they can very rarely if ever be sent back to their homeland against their will. Once here they will be 'forever' here whether in direct provision or eventually housed.

The government and justice system are far too weak to deal with any of this and as such we are very open to exploitation from illegal migrants coming here pretending to be true refugees, as in burning their passports before entering this land. It will never change unless the powers that be put the foot down and stop hiding behind their government chairs afraid to deal with it.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Galway Bay fm were decent enough to put that he had good support on social media and from some other rural TDs in their last report alongside all the calling for his resignation and all that. Most places just keep peddling the outrage narrative. I think the controversy just isn't there for most people (not saying all) and this really won't do Noel Grealish any harm at all.

Arghus wrote: »
    Why do people persist in saying this type of stuff over and over again, even if it doesn't correspond with reality?

Prime Time covered the story last night and gave more airtime to the local residents than to the Fine Gael politician on the other side of the story. Their views weren't silenced in any way and they haven't been silenced in the media since the story became news. Let's get a few things straight to begin with anyway.
    You didn't hear The Last Word or Drivetime this evening so?
    I can't speak for the Sean O'Rourke show this morning but I'd hazard a guess it follows the same agenda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

I see the Journal comments section is closed on the Grealish article.

What an absolute lefty liberal propaganda piece of shít "news" source it is.

The editors are nothing if not predictable working there anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

Arghus wrote: »

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/0913/1075709-grealish-meeting/

RTE article awash with calls from TDs and Leo himself for Grealish to apologise for his comments.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/video-td-noel-grealish-claims-some-asylum-seekers-come-to-ireland-to-sponge-off-the-system-38494752.html

Article in the indo with aforementioned criticism from Leo et al along with calls for an apology and to resign as a TD from an anti racism charity and a PBP TD.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/taoiseach-urges-independent-td-noel-grealish-to-clarify-remarks-about-immigrants-950650.html

Broadly more of the same in the Examiner although there is small mention of two TDs who refuse to criticise him.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/varadkar-calls-for-grealish-statement-over-african-sponger-comments-1.4017026

More of the same in the Times.

No balance to this conversation at all. It is all just vilification of the man, and the best one can find in terms of a voice from the other side is Michael Collins and Mattie McGrath who didn't even back him up, just refused to condemn him. I stand by my earlier post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Funny you mention that. Last year in my rural home town (far from Dublin) a rumour was going round that one of the Dublin councils had bought an empty block of apartments in it.

Locals were none too impressed. :pac:

There are many Dublin accents you will find if you actually visited different area's of Dublin and also County Dublin. Strange post you forwarded.

We here in Ireland have almost every nationality in the world living here on this small island now, it's good to have many different culture's I find. My main problem is with the government and the fact that once a migrant lands foot on Irish soil they can very rarely if ever be sent back to their homeland against their will. Once here they will be 'forever' here whether in direct provision or eventually housed.

The government and justice system are far too weak to deal with any of this and as such we are very open to exploitation from illegal migrants coming here pretending to be true refugees, as in burning their passports before entering this land. It will never change unless the powers that be put the foot down and stop hiding behind their government chairs afraid to deal with it.

The graphic in Post # 122 shows a very high rejection rate, including almost 100% of Albanians and Georgians. Where are you getting your information from?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Just watching the rte news. Just wondering how many takes it took to get all the locals in wicklow welcoming it with open arms. Good old rte.

That whole segment was irrelevant manipulation. Grealish said and is trouble for saying "come here to sponge" so it stands to reason that a journalistic follow-up should attempt to determine whether that specific statement itself was true or false. Not once was the relevant point asked of anyone: "do you have any plan to support yourself without social welfare?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

I see the Journal comments section is closed on the Grealish article.

What an absolute lefty liberal propaganda piece of shít "news" source it is.

The editors are nothing if not predictable working there anyways.

I never really read into this whole migrant issue before but I don’t think it’s right to shut down comments on a pretty valid debate ? If there are any outright racist comments they why can’t they just delete them ?

The graphic in Post # 122 shows a very high rejection rate, including almost 100% of Albanians and Georgians. Where are you getting your information from?

Rejection rates do not equate to deportation rates!
    Have you seen our deportation rates?

Hal3000 wrote: »
    I never really read into this whole migrant issue before but I don’t think it’s right to shut down comments on a pretty valid debate ? If there are any outright racist comments they why can’t they just delete them ?

There are hundreds of thousands of internet moderators, who are struggling to keep the vile stuff away from our eyes. They might not be able to afford extra staff to monitor something which is very busy. Easier to just shut it down, and avoid possible lawsuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Grealish isn't going to resign, he's not some Johnny come lately that's going to give into outside pressure. He's cute enough to say some sympathetic words for asylum seekers and that locals need to be consulted, nothing controversial about that. Maybe suggest a much smaller, manageable amount.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Not too many warzone's there and never really has been in the Irish asylum stats

image.png

Perhaps you noticed the brackets in that quote?

Rejection rates do not equate to deportation rates!
    Have you seen our deportation rates?

I had to look it up and it's hard to find links. Most of the stories are about the Irishman facing deportation from the USA. Anyway these figures are from the Irish Times a year ago, and the striking feature is how many people chose to go voluntarily. This disproves the statement made by the other poster, who claimed nobody ever leaves once they come here.

A total of 9,197 deportation orders have been made since 2011 while only one in five of those who received these orders – 1,857 people – have been deported from Ireland.

Some 5,504 people facing deportation have been granted permission to remain following a re-examination of their case since 2011. Another 2,245 returned home voluntarily. So far this year, 174 people facing deportation have chosen to leave voluntarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Wegian

It was like watching a retraining session for those that don’t subscribe to the Noel Grealish is a racist thought process, so much for balanced impartial news reporting

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I wouldn't accept 250 of any nationality in one go....its a stupid idea

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

Continuous rejections from day one up to 15 years. They will be still here in those long 15 years dx.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 CelticSeaShip

A village with a population of circa 1300, a suggestion to place 250 asylum amongst the community? Piss poor idea tbh.

I did some sums here and 250 of 1300 is nearly 20%. Its 19.23% percent to be precise. Adding nearly 20% of the current population of the village is far too much. Its madness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement