Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oughterard people - see OP for Mod warning 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Chinasea wrote: »
    Consulted about bloody well what.

Yes, most are out and out Racists. It seems now calling racist bigotted "Racists" is all of a sudden wrong. How warped is that.

How come all the locals were rolling out red carpets for the hundreds who would have landed should Apple have decided to set up shop.

apple scenario was Athenry.... Oughterard is a good distance away

Mod
    Do not attack the poster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭jackboy

Chinasea wrote: »
    Consulted about bloody well what.

Yes, most are out and out Racists. It seems now calling racist bigotted "Racists" is all of a sudden wrong. How warped is that.

How come all the locals were rolling out red carpets for the hundreds who would have landed should Apple have decided to set up shop.

Would you be happy if 200 white men were moved into your locality, not allowed to work for a long period and given tiny amounts of money to exist on?

Any sensible person would object to that in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

padd b1975 wrote: »
    That dangerous little twerp from PBP Joe Loughnane is all over this of course.

If he bought a drink for every one who voted for him in the local elections, he'd have change out of his dole money for the week

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Direct Provision has become an industry and it is of no benefit to anyone except those making more than a few bob out of it. Anybody who doesn't see that is a blind fool.

It's a huge growth area for ambitious young virtue signallers, Ellen coyne is now in a senior position at the journal

• Registered Users Posts: 13,433 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I thought they spoke very well unlike the blustering politician

Your woman didn't come across very well. He did

• Advertisement

I'm gonna be honest and state I'm not completely clued into the background of these migrants. Or any others.

However, if they're all coming from a similar place, and fleeing from warzones, would it not make more sense for the EU, a massive group of countries, to head over to these countries guns-a-blazin' and put an end to whatever these wars are that are being fought? Then the people who are fleeing can live safely where they are and not have to worry about making it to Europe?

Because, the image that's being portrayed is that these lads are fleeing a warzone, and instead of us helping them fight back, we're helping them run away, meaning 1) every other country gets stretched of it's resources, and 2) the 'bad guys' in the 'warzones' get to take over the countries as the 'good guys' are being shipped out until their numbers dwindle and they lose the fight completely. Then what happens the country when they've no one else to fight? (they start fighting other countries, presumably?)

It's all just a little bit vague to me.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    That dangerous little twerp from PBP Joe Loughnane is all over this of course.

He was on The Last Word earlier lapping up his few minutes of fame.

I trust matt gave him a foot massage

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Asylum seekers can work after 9 months in the system.

They also have children who can buoy up the numbers (and so, capitation funding) for rural schools. This is a win-win situation for Oughterard, and while there will be some teething problems, it's an absolute folly to pretend there is a sufficiently strong justification for that town's narrow-minded behaviour. Most communities would be delighted at population growth. It seems that the new people are simply 'the wrong type' for this community.
    Ah that old saw of "the need for population growth" we hear all the time. I have more than a few issues with that mantra. For a start it's mostly to do with making more people to make more stuff, so more people can buy it. Yet many who push this mantra are also going on about damage to the environment. Cross purposes there Ted, but anyway. Secondly, while this mantra may and I stress may be in play in some European countries with falling birthrates, this does not apply to Ireland. Ireland has along with France the highest birthrates in the EU, so that spurious "reason" simply doesn't wash here.

As far as rural decay being reversed by this? Not gonna happen. Hasn't happened in other parts of Europe. Spain tried it with South American folks invited over to repopulate villages and what happened was as soon as their time limit was up they headed for the bigger towns and cities, just like the locals had before them. Even in the "boom" here where houses were sprouting like weeds throughout the land, where were the ghost estates? The vast majority weren't in urban areas that's for sure.

And being the "wrong type" is most certainly a big factor. Yep it's racist, but regard human nature over time and we are inherently tribal and local and that niggle in the back of the brain is always there among a large enough part of any population and yep even generations down the line their kids and grandkids will rarely be "Irish enough" for many. I prefer to look at the realities, rather than keep hoping that we'll all join hands in some melting pot singing cum by ya, we won't and history, even recent history shows this time and time again. Pick the most progressive and inclusive society you can find today and I guarantee you that they have ethnicities, often more than one that are not quite living the dream to the same degree as the "locals".

About the only times "multiculturalism" has worked was in pretty "right wing" superstates and empires where any dissent from the agreed cultural norm was heavily curtailed or stamped out. Even then there were always some ethnicities that were more outside than inside.
    Don't you occasionally point out, when lamenting feminism, that it is men who are disproportionately the victims of political persecution/ war/ violence?

It would be rather a strange thing to ignore single men on that basis. If I were a psychoanalyst, I'd find this bizarre suspicion towards single men almost territorial.
    Well thank Christ you're not a psychoanalyst as going by the above statement you would seem incapable of reasoning that two separate opinions on two different angles on a matter can be held at once.

Outside of self serving political hobby horses like "feminism" everyone is a victim of war and violence. However the fact remains that in damned near every conflict before where refugees were fleeing it's has been overwhelmingly women, kids and the elderly who were doing the fleeing, not men. Even elsewhere in the world today like in the venezuelan refugee crisis(which is also largely economic) the demographics are much more balanced, not like the demographics of European refugee crisis.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm gonna be honest and state I'm not completely clued into the background of these migrants. Or any others.

However, if they're all coming from a similar place, and fleeing from warzones, would it not make more sense for the EU, a massive group of countries, to head over to these countries guns-a-blazin' and put an end to whatever these wars are that are being fought? Then the people who are fleeing can live safely where they are and not have to worry about making it to Europe?
    Great in theory K, but it smacks too much of White cultural imperialism for too many.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,433 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

We would take in many people proven to be in dire straits, in other words genuine.

I doubt the myriad who have somehow landed here are actually that. Therein lies the issue.

We know we are being scammed by certain nationalities, have been for donkeys years now, but that is the fault of the system imo.

And now we have so many more. Albanians? WTF Is there a war on there or something, same with Georgians and so on.

Anyway, I really hope the INIS are on to this. We need to know that our borders are NOT so permeable anymore.

Having said that, as in my previous post, I think there may be some pressure on us to just take them in, in return for something or other from EU and UN.
    Of course there's pressure from the EU et al
    France , Britain, Germany and other European countries have huge immigrant populations so everyone should have similar. Except they were all colonial superpowers in Africa or Asia. We weren't.
    The pressure in unwarranted imo and that is not racist. A nation or 60 million taking in people is very very different to a small nation under 100 years old taking in similar numbers

• Advertisement

Galway people are about thee most clannish in the land if you exclude kerry, folks don't even like those from three parishes over

This ain't going to work

• Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The population was over 2,600 in the 2016 Census. Where did the missing 1,300 go in the last few years?

https://connachttribune.ie/county-galways-population-rising-falling-201/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Wibbs wrote: »
    A) those days of young men being forced to die for dictators are nowhere near over, or y'know we wouldn't have warzones. B) I condemn them because too many are going on boats to the "promised land" paying thousands to ratbag traffickers to facilitate this, being picked up and ferried by European naval ships to said promised land(you couldn't make it up) and a large proportion of them are not coming from warzones, or are not Syrians, but are economic migrants.

Great, if they were trained and educated for roles they could fill in this society, but few enough are. So no, I certainly don't want more of them. I certainly don't want Irish towns and cities to go down the retarded route of following our European neighbours decades long multiple examples of ghettoisation and local social issues and unrest offered up on that busted flush altar of modern "multiculturalism". And no, we won't do it any differently, we won't make a success of it where every single other European country that bought into this nonsense couldn't. And I doubt I'm alone in this opinion and that opinion will grow and we will have those problems where we didn't have them before. Come back in ten, twenty years and observe.

They are Wibbs, we will always have warzones because not everyone is forced, but try talking to some of the young men fleeing Syria, Afghanistan, Eritrea, sub Saharan Africa,and they'll tell you they weren't prepared to kill and die for some tinpot dictatorship or militia. And to just write them off is lazy.

B) if they are economic migrants from some peaceful safe then yeah send them back (not every non warzone is safe btw). But you don't get to judge people and make wholesale write-offs based off some lazy analysis.

Help those in need, that's how it should be. If someone is in need on your doorstep you don't say, hm, what's it worth to me.l. and I'll never apologise for that.
    And it doesn't have to end in ghettos and unrest. I spend a lot of time in Austria which was one of the main routes for refugees back in 2015, and there are no no-go zones or ghettos there nowadays. The biggest problem has been a rise in the far right based off of fear mongering but while crime did rise in 2015 it's now down to it's lowest level since the 90s. Saying wewont make it work is perhaps realistic but perhaps just lazy, and again we don't leave some one suffering on our doorstep because we think the HSE will **** it up later

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Arghus wrote: »
    What saddens me the most about things like this is that everything becomes so emotive and polarised right from the beginning.

You're either a racist or a bleeding heart hard-leftie, depending on what you say and there's no space for any nuance or attempt to find some common ground. The voices start shouting from both sides of the debate and everyone in the middle feels brow beaten and just lets them to it. The rhetoric in here is already fairly hot and I'm surprised to see it coming from some posters who usually, I would think, pride themselves on their objectivity and critical thinking.

I'm from about ten miles down the road from Oughterard, I'd know the town quite well. There's loads about the whole issue that I'd have numerous concerns about, but there is also a lot of scaremongering and hysteria going on, when, right now, what's actually known for certain is limited enough.

Best and most sensible post in the thread. Always inflamed rhetoric from both sides. I think it's fair enough the people from the town don't think it's a fair a small and unbalanced town may have to take in numbers, if that what was going to happen. I also think Grealish is a prick for the way he stoked flames and pandered to the types who would react in exactly the way he knew and act as if he was some brave rebellious type, rather than the slimy local vote gatherer he is. What the hell had 'Christian' got to do with anything?

A guy who left over £500,000 of debt and £40,000 in unvouched expenses accusing anyone of sponging is hilarious. He's got no 'save the Hospital' bandwagon to jump on so threw a dart at the Casey one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

The population was over 2,600 in the 2016 Census. Where did the missing 1,300 go in the last few years?

https://connachttribune.ie/county-galways-population-rising-falling-201/

Murdered by foreigners I'd assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

What annoys me about this conversation is that we will only ever hear one side of the story on the media. RTE will no doubt discuss this on the 9 o clock news tonight with a representative from some anti-racism charity and a TD from PBP. The prevailing view is that we should allow for unfettered migration, peace and love to everyone.

The second you question the economic legitimacy of unfettered mass importation of people with no qualifications, no ability to speak the language and no desire to ever integrate, you are branded a racist.

This proposed arrival of 200+ people to Oughterard is a really obviously terrible, ill-thought out idea, common sense allows one to easily see that. And yet how quick Leo is to condemn Mr Grealish for his views. Not so quick to condemn Ms Bailey or provide the completed report on her conduct to the public.

People are sick of being talked down to on issues such as this and we'll see it play out again now over the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I trust matt gave him a foot massage

Well Roe McDermott was his previous guest bladdering on about "internalized misogyny" so he was all fired up to have a go at Grealish.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

What annoys me about this conversation is that we will only ever hear one side of the story on the media. RTE will no doubt discuss this on the 9 o clock news tonight with a representative from some anti-racism charity and a TD from PBP. The prevailing view is that we should allow for unfettered migration, peace and love to everyone.

The second you question the economic legitimacy of unfettered mass importation of people with no qualifications, no ability to speak the language and no desire to ever integrate, you are branded a racist.

This proposed arrival of 200+ people to Oughterard is a really obviously terrible, ill-thought out idea, common sense allows one to easily see that. And yet how quick Leo is to condemn Mr Grealish for his views. Not so quick to condemn Ms Bailey or provide the completed report on her conduct to the public.

People are sick of being talked down to on issues such as this and we'll see it play out again now over the coming days.

We are in hock to EU an UN now.

Can anyone refute this?

We are in hock to EU an UN now.

Can anyone refute this?

Can you explain what you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

I wonder if the Oughterard towns people would be just as rejecting if their council told them that they were going to build to move 250 Dublin people to their area?. I personally think the Oughterard people would be just as up in arms about that scenario just as much. Even Galway itself treats Dublin people terribly, and always did, especially spiddal Co. Galway. I sense Karma has come to town.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Advertisement

Can you explain what you mean?

OK, as if you don't know, but whatever....

Our Government is an EU member, EU support us as they have already during Brexit negotiations so far.

There may be a price to be paid which involves supporting these migrants. Well Merkel started it off didn't she.

OK, as if you don't know, but whatever....

Our Government is an EU member, EU support us as they have already during Brexit negotiations so far.

There may be a price to be paid which involves supporting these migrants. Well Merkel started it off didn't she.

That does not add up to being in hock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

I wonder if the Oughterard towns people would be just as rejecting if their council told them that they were going to build to move 250 Dublin people to their area?. I personally think the Oughterard people would be just as up in arms about that scenario just as much. Even Galway itself treats Dublin people terribly, and always did, especially spiddal Co. Galway. I sense Karma has come to town.

Congratulations on the most stupid post of the week on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

Serious question.

How can we stop these bogus asylum seekers from coming here?

That does not add up to being in hock.

As you hopefully well know, our orders come from EU via UN regarding migrants to be fair. They are vetted and supported. All good. Mostly Syrian because there was a dreadful war there.

It is those outside of UN vetting are the issue now.

They are Wibbs, we will always have warzones because not everyone is forced, but try talking to some of the young men fleeing Syria, Afghanistan, Eritrea, sub Saharan Africa,and they'll tell you they weren't prepared to kill and die for some tinpot dictatorship or militia. And to just write them off is lazy.
    Actually I know a few lads from Afghanistan and they've been here since the late 90's, all working, a couple with good qualifications too and they will tell you that the more recent lot are just chancing their arms. They know some of these guys and far from the Taliban hills they're from. Many are Pakistani from just across the border claiming Afghani status. Refugees from Syria I would have no issue with, but again priority should be very weighted towards families. Sub Saharan Africa is a broad stroke indeed and many are economic migrants, not refugees and should be treated as such and let in or thrown out if they're not bringing some useful skills to the table.
    Help those in need, that's how it should be. If someone is in need on your doorstep you don't say, hm, what's it worth to me.l. and I'll never apologise for that.
    Neither would I, however if someone shows up to my doorstep by paid for taxi looking to come in and doss under my roof I'll happily tell them to eff off back in the taxi from whence you came.
    And it doesn't have to end in ghettos and unrest. I spend a lot of time in Austria which was one of the main routes for refugees back in 2015, and there are no no-go zones or ghettos there nowadays. The biggest problem has been a rise in the far right based off of fear mongering but while crime did rise in 2015 it's now down to it's lowest level since the 90s. Saying wewont make it work is perhaps realistic but perhaps just lazy, and again we don't leave some one suffering on our doorstep because we think the HSE will **** it up later
    It's not realistic. Again look at our European neighbours that have been running this social experiment for decades. Austria crime dropped right down between 2012 and 14 and started to rise and while lower than the 90's are continuing to do so. And that's a good example to look at. Never mind yep the rise of the far Right. Like I said I have no issue with saying racism from the locals(which tends to then be replied to by the non locals, understandably enough) is a major factor in the social ills that come from multiculturalism. Human nature again. It doesn't take well to the outsider and goes from a tacit acceptance overall to outright aggression at times. Again we've seen this everywhere the multiculturalism experiment has been run.

As you hopefully well know, our orders come from EU via UN regarding migrants to be fair. They are vetted and supported. All good. Mostly Syrian because there was a dreadful war there.

It is those outside of UN vetting are the issue now.

The numbers are very small compared to EU nationals like British, Poles and Lithuanians. Hundreds of thousand of those people. Do you want them stopped as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Ireland should follow GB's lead and GTFO of the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I wonder if the Oughterard towns people would be just as rejecting if their council told them that they were going to build to move 250 Dublin people to their area?

250 Dubs who speak at best a weird variation of the language, have no desire to integrate, have little work experience or skill would not get a warm welcome many places outside the pale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

B) if they are economic migrants from some peaceful safe then yeah send them back (not every non warzone is safe btw). But you don't get to judge people and make wholesale write-offs based off some lazy analysis.

Not too many warzone's there and never really has been in the Irish asylum stats

image.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement