Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

RTE continues with their distasteful reporting of Trump's Covid condition. At the begining of their reports, they almost appear to report it impartially (like a national broadcaster should do), but then they put in their petty digs at him at the end.

In other unsurprising news, from the Sunday Business Post this morning, RTE has gone with cap in hand (again) seeking emergency funding from the Government (tax payers), as they warn that the Covid19 pandemic has exposed "existential flaws" in the current model of collecting money from us. It almost sounds like that their inspectors cannot bang on our doors looking for money due to Covid.

Let me tell you RTE what your "existential flaw" is:
    You are paying your staff and contractors (Tubridy, Duffy etc.) appalling amounts of money, and you deliberately alienate the people who are paying for your sub-standard services and programming.
    That's your damn existential flaw. Idiots.

I’m delighted to see that RTÉ is spending money on a half page ad in the Sunday Times - The Truth Matters. The text, almost as long as a County Council announcing the closure of a road, ends with the statement that as nine out of ten people in Ireland accessing information on COVID-19 use RTÉ as their main media source, that places a special responsibility on them

OK, fair enough, but what about their responsibility to get their finances under control?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I’m delighted to see that RTÉ is spending money on a half page ad in the Sunday Times - The Truth Matters. The text, almost as long as a County Council announcing the closure of a road, ends with the statement that as nine out of ten people in Ireland accessing information on COVID-19 use RTÉ as their main media source, that places a special responsibility on them

OK, fair enough, but what about their responsibility to get their finances under control?

None, sor was to get 200,000 for weekend radio show, 2,800 per episode. Note per episode rather than per hour for those of us who hope weekend presenters might come into work Wednesday to Sunday, but ultimately know in our heart of hearts they arrive in 15 mins before the show and probably don't have time to hang up their headphones they are in the car home so fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Kivaro wrote: »
    They are a horrible group of cretins.
    Since March, RTE's tone has been noticeably downbeat .... in order to put the fear of Covid into everyone. But at 7 am today, when RTE Radio 1 Morning Ireland started their show, their tone was noticeably upbeat .... as they gleefully reported about the news from the WhiteHouse.

Tubridy? Doesn't he earn more the President of the United States?
    Yet, RTE supporters/staff on here tell us he is worth it.
    Amazing really if you think about it.

Careful now! According to RTE, Tubs et al are being headhunted by BBC, ITV etc.
    Lower his wages by a single euro and he could high-tail it across the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

So Deirdre O'Kane is getting a new chat show...

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/1005/1169358-deirdre-okane-to-host-new-chat-show-on-rte-one/

Quick question...

What happened to their plans with Angela Scanlon?

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/angela-scanlon-is-the-right-woman-for-the-job-as-rte-goes-ahead-with-chat-show-38811525.html

Is this money down the drain? I'm sure there was money put down to hire Angela. Guests pre-booked and pre-paid.

Now we're hearing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Same with Mr. Duffy. Apparently, the BBC are keen to hire a man who can barely speak English and dat so to speak as they say; esp. one who said that COVID couldn't come to Ireland because we're an island AND that even if it came, no-one would die.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Cutting presenters wages would be the absolute last resort for RTE.
    Remember several years ago they said they were thinking of doing it and the presenters were up in arms. Gerry Ryan in particular, he went ballistic.

If FFG had any sense they would send in one of those hired hatchet-men to clear out all the deadwood and offer the rest a simple choice: take a pay cut of x% or take a hike.

Don't forget Noel Kelly's part in all of this:
    https://www.nkmanagement.ie/

Worth reading the biographies of the "stars" someday if you're bored and looking for a giggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Same with Mr. Duffy. Apparently, the BBC are keen to hire a man who can barely speak English and dat so to speak as they say; esp. one who said that COVID couldn't come to Ireland because we're an island AND that even if it came, no-one would die.

BBC Wurtled Service no less

• Registered Users Posts: 33,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Cutting presenters wages would be the absolute last resort for RTE.
    Remember several years ago they said they were thinking of doing it and the presenters were up in arms. Gerry Ryan in particular, he went ballistic.

If FFG had any sense they would send in one of those hired hatchet-men to clear out all the deadwood and offer the rest a simple choice: take a pay cut of x% or take a hike.

Well to be fair GR couldn't afford to take a pay cut. He was spending it recreationally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Did rte always tell you who was on sound, who the BCO was, who did internet and who was on research?

I hear it at the end of every radio show now for a few years. Personally I don't care, they are just names to me. Do we really need to know them or is it some form of telling us just how many people work behind the scenes?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

NIMAN wrote: »
    Did rte always tell you who was on sound, who the BCO was, who did internet and who was on research?

I hear it at the end of every radio show now for a few years. Personally I don't care, they are just names to me. Do we really need to know them or is it some form of telling us just how many people work behind the scenes?

They do it on local radio stations too-been hearing it on some county one's for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭TheDavester

So Deirdre O'Kane is getting a new chat show...

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/1005/1169358-deirdre-okane-to-host-new-chat-show-on-rte-one/

Quick question...

What happened to their plans with Angela Scanlon?

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/angela-scanlon-is-the-right-woman-for-the-job-as-rte-goes-ahead-with-chat-show-38811525.html

Is this money down the drain? I'm sure there was money put down to hire Angela. Guests pre-booked and pre-paid.

Now we're hearing this.

Could someone tell me why RTE needs 2 - (actually 3 with Tommy Tiernan's one) chat shows....You get the same freaking uninteresting and talentless people on each one...How many times a year we can see Mario/Doireann/Oliver Callnan etc.

Could someone tell me why RTE needs 2 - (actually 3 with Tommy Tiernan's one) chat shows....You get the same freaking uninteresting and talentless people on each one...How many times a year we can see Mario/Doireann/Oliver Callnan etc.

I think we are about to find out....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Shows my level of ignorance when I dont know who half these people are? Why would gardeners and architects need agents? are they not self-employed in their own right anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,414 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Shows my level of ignorance when I dont know who half these people are? Why would gardeners and architects need agents? are they not self-employed in their own right anyway?

When they work as gardeners or architects they don't need agents.

It's the media work they use agents for.

It's show biz, always had agents always will.

Angela Scanlon's should air, 2 episodes recorded, but covid caused them to date!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Don't forget Noel Kelly's part in all of this:
    https://www.nkmanagement.ie/

Worth reading the biographies of the "stars" someday if you're bored and looking for a giggle.

It gets harder and harder as you go down the list to know the names. Never heard of a lot of these people.

McGaggs wrote: »
    It gets harder and harder as you go down the list to know the names. Never heard of a lot of these people.

Well, for context, most of the "earn" more than the Taoiseach...........:eek:

Stovepipe wrote: »

Btw Franc (don't look him up) earned 25,000 for John Delaney's 50th b-day party!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Well, for context, most of the "earn" more than the Taoiseach...........:eek:

That's the level of cynicism I brought to it, but then I genuinely had no idea who so many of those people were as I went down the list.

What does Craig Doyle do these days?

McGaggs wrote: »
    That's the level of cynicism I brought to it, but then I genuinely had no idea who so many of those people were as I went down the list.

What does Craig Doyle do these days?

Might be on ITV sport still

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Looked at that website with all those 'stars' and it makes me sick to the teeth that I had to part with €160 of my hard earned cash this month to fund there D4 Lifestyle.

I would not mind but as I have said in previous posts I don't even watch any of this rubbish.

Elmo wrote: »
    Might be on ITV sport still

he's on BT Sport a lot, does their Guinness Premiership and European Cup Rugby coverage. For years he "starred" (maybe still is) in ads for Everest Windows that seemed to be everywhere on UK TV channels, esp. at night.

I also used to see him pretty much twice a week in Dublin Airport as I used to spend a couple of days a week in the UK with work on the red-eye over and back. He'd always be parked in the staff section of the short-term car park for some reason........they're kjust in front of the lift so you're first out.

I know I've said this before but why do they insist on having a news anchor outside government buildings when doing the report. Tonight he was pretty much drowned out by protestors there. Montrose is about a ten minute drive from Dail Eireann, unless there is actual breaking news, there is no need for it.

I know I've said this before but why do they insist on having a news anchor outside government buildings when doing the report. Tonight he was pretty much drowned out by protestors there. Montrose is about a ten minute drive from Dail Eireann, unless there is actual breaking news, there is no need for it.

Travel expenses? Car mileage allowance? Taxi receipts?

Was it just the one tonight? Often they have 2 there at the same time , reporting from about 50 meters of each other :D

Was that not on Virgin Media?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

My licence expires at the end of this month yet already I have received a reminder in the post to renew it. For me it shows how aggressive and desperate they are to force people into paying for the licence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

My licence expires at the end of this month yet already I have received a reminder in the post to renew it. For me it shows how aggressive and desperate they are to force people into paying for the licence.
    If RTE had their way, they would have a "can't pay, we'll take it away" type of money collection system, with men dressed in all black and hobnail boots and RTE armbands removing goods and property worth €160.
    Ryan Tubridy needs his half million every year .... at all costs.

Advertisement