Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Another new face on RTE.

Elizabeth Coleman, presenting the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Another new face on RTE.

Elizabeth Coleman, presenting the weather.

Is she RTÉ or Met Éireann?

Elmo wrote: »

Seems she's been with Morning Ireland for a while.

Met Éireann forecaster.

The Budget has move the NSO to the NCH. In effect this give RTÉ a saving of €8m. Though they way it is phrased it sounds more like. In 2021 the Department of arts will spend €8m on moving the NSO to the NCH from RTÉ, which sounds to me like we are going to pay accountants €8m to transfer something we own from something we own to something we own!

I hope that RTÉ and the NCH finance teams will work together to keep the €8m for the NSO rather than in one year spending 16m on the NSO twice the normal amount.

• Advertisement

The Budget has move the NSO to the NCH. In effect this give RTÉ a saving of €8m. Though they way it is phrased it sounds more like. In 2021 the Department of arts will spend €8m on moving the NSO to the NCH from RTÉ, which sounds to me like we are going to pay accountants €8m to transfer something we own from something we own to something we own!

I hope that RTÉ and the NCH finance teams will work together to keep the €8m for the NSO rather than in one year spending 16m on the NSO twice the normal amount.

It’s a well known accounting technique to move something around like this. It ought to be called, “Three cups and a walnut” accounting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Maysa07

Some good research on this article..

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/is-the-move-by-the-rt%C3%A9-nso-to-the-nch-a-reverse-takeover-1.3588800

Maysa07 wrote: »

I did not know
    In November, RTɒs orchestral players were told by RTÉ executives that there would just be a single orchestra left by June 2018. That same month RTÉ commissioned the review of its orchestral provision

However, I kind of knew that the document was presenting a final view that had been established before it was written, with a few other options outline that were never going to be consider.

Weather its a merge or takeover the €8m should be provided for the running of the NSO to the NCH, not a case of €8m being given for a year long take over for an accountancy firm.

Also will the NCH be taking on any of RTÉ's debt?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It's gas,

RTÉ are fearful of losing their top 'talent' so thats how they justify paying them obscene fee's... (I say fee's because they are mostly not RTÉ employee's, they are contractors working for their own limited companies).

If we don't give Tubbers €500k a year, he'll be off to the BBC... They'll poach him from us!!.....

Yet when Tubbers did his little fill in for the BBC for a few weeks a few years back (while someone in the BBC was off sick or on holidays or something?). RTÉ were more than happy to Tubbers broadcast to the BBC via an RTÉ studio in Montrose.....

You'd have thought they'd be against letting a rival (for their top 'talent'), borrow said 'talent' and then allow said 'talent' to use RTÉ facilities while working for said rival.....

Or who knows, maybe they want the BBC to poach him??

It's gas,

RTÉ are fearful of losing their top 'talent' so thats how they justify paying them obscene fee's... (I say fee's because they are mostly not RTÉ employee's, they are contractors working for their own limited companies).

If we don't give Tubbers €500k a year, he'll be off to the BBC... They'll poach him from us!!.....

Yet when Tubbers did his little fill in for the BBC for a few weeks a few years back (while someone in the BBC was off sick or on holidays or something?). RTÉ were more than happy to Tubbers broadcast to the BBC via an RTÉ studio in Montrose.....

You'd have thought they'd be against letting a rival (for their top 'talent'), borrow said 'talent' and then allow said 'talent' to use RTÉ facilities while working for said rival.....

Or who knows, maybe they want the BBC to poach him??

They can have rainbow Ryan, he's an weak chinned eyesore:D of a Friday night so he is!

• Advertisement

So I calculate that public funding at RTÉ will be up by at least 20m in 2021 from 2018.

In budget 2019 TG4 share of the license fee was given back to RTÉ it was worth 4.5m in 2018
    At the end of 2019 after presure from RTÉ the government gave them €10m for 2020.
    In 2021 the NSO moves to the NCH worth about 7m in expenditure.

that 20 to 22m in public funding RTÉ will be up, I doubt anyone will be talking about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rdwight

Can anyone tell me why I see "Programme Resumes Shortly"/"Fann Linn" during commercial breaks when streaming RTE/TG4 programmes rather than revenue earning ads?

rdwight wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me why I see "Programme Resumes Shortly"/"Fann Linn" during commercial breaks when streaming RTE/TG4 programmes rather than revenue earning ads?

Many of those who would normally advertise don't have any major revenue coming in.
    So they can't pay for adverts since.

RTE can't air adverts if they don't have em.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,739 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Many of those who would normally advertise don't have any major revenue coming in.

They usually have plenty of RTE show promotions they put on during ad slots, is there only so many of them they are allowed show an hour?

Thanks. But this issue pre-dates Covid ad crisis. It has been true as long as I've been streaming. I've never been able to understand it. I believe a significant percentage of RTE viewers access content by streaming so should be attractive option for advertisers (when they have revenue themselves).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,334 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

They pay for advertising on broadcast tv and they pay for advertising on streaming - simples

fritzelly wrote: »
    They pay for advertising on broadcast tv and they pay for advertising on streaming - simples

Are you say that because ads on streamed content are paid for separately then RTE sell less of them? Why would that be the case? There might be advantages to advertising on streamed content (e.g. better targetting) Anyway, if advertisers aren't as keen surely RTE could adjust pricing models to attract ads.

Are you say that because ads on streamed content are paid for separately then RTE sell less of them? Why would that be the case? There might be advantages to advertising on streamed content (e.g. better targetting) Anyway, if advertisers aren't as keen surely RTE could adjust pricing models to attract ads.

I assume you are talking about live tv schedules.

So for example if I decide to set up my monitor to watch RTÉ ONE, 2, VM ONE, VM TWO, VM THREE and TG4 live the ads during live broadcast get the following screens.

I think VM seem to be adding Player ads separate to the programmes, but the question remains why can't their live broadcast ads play?

I heard it was down to clearance issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ishma_1963

I think scrapping TG4 would be awful. And let's see these orchestras put to better use.

Ishma_1963 wrote: »
    I think scrapping TG4 would be awful. And let's see these orchestras put to better use.

NSO is moving to NCH in 2021. NCO remains with RTÉ, and trust me as soon as they get more money RTÉ will stop pimping the NCO out as much as they have in the past few years.

• Advertisement

I assume you are talking about live tv schedules.

So for example if I decide to set up my monitor to watch RTÉ ONE, 2, VM ONE, VM TWO, VM THREE and TG4 live the ads during live broadcast get the following screens.

I think VM seem to be adding Player ads separate to the programmes, but the question remains why can't their live broadcast ads play?

I heard it was down to clearance issues.

Thanks Elmo. I'm pretty sure I get the same Fann Linn type screen on both live and player streams

I'm not sure what you mean by clearance issues. Do you mean licensing?

I'm still mystified (and, given RTE's constant warnings about revenue, annoyed) by this. At first I assumed it was some technical issue to do with the settings on my devices, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

What makes it more mystifying is that I watch Channel4 quite a bit and they manage to deliver ads (for Irish goods and services).

It doesn't seem to be technical problem (Channel4 gets around whatever ad-blocking etc I have on my devices)

It can hardly be licensing issue (ditto re Channel4)

It surely can't be a sales issue. If I still ran a business I'd be on like a shot to RTE advertising department to see if I could buy time to sell to the very large audience that strewam RTE programmes.

Any answers please?

Any answers please?

I don't think I have watch C4 live stream online (I don't think its available on the Irish Version of All4). In any case it could be similar to Virgin Media were the block of broadcast TV ads are replaced by online ads, I'd watch Virgin Media TV again for you but... I just can't sorry, sitting in front of 5 ads before the live version of muck TV comes on would kill me.

Both RTÉ and TG4 don't swap out the ads instead they put that screen up, however if you stream a show from either you will get a few ads mid-stream but not the FAN LINN/HOLDER SCREEN screen as posted above.

At least I have never seen it on anything I have stream on either player, except for live broadcast streams.

And I believe the reason is copyright!

I don't think I have watch C4 live stream online (I don't think its available on the Irish Version of All4). In any case it could be similar to Virgin Media were the block of broadcast TV ads are replaced by online ads, I'd watch Virgin Media TV again for you but... I just can't sorry, sitting in front of 5 ads before the live version of muck TV comes on would kill me.

Both RTÉ and TG4 don't swap out the ads instead they put that screen up, however if you stream a show from either you will get a few ads mid-stream but not the FAN LINN/HOLDER SCREEN screen as posted above.

At least I have never seen it on anything I have stream on either player, except for live broadcast streams.

And I believe the reason is copyright!

Thanks Elmo.

I stream Channel4 both live using UK ip and in "player" mode using ROI ip.
    There are ads on both and they are aimed at ROI audience when I use ROI ip.

I can't for the like of me see why RTE can't manage the same. Why aren't RTE selling advertising time to the advertisers who are buying ROI advertising time from Channel4?

I don't understand what copyright issue are invvovled. Programme content is more likely to be subject to copyright than advertisements surely?

I don't understand what copyright issue are invvovled. Programme content is more likely to be subject to copyright than advertisements surely?

Could be and very likely the music - licenced for broadcast on tv but not the web

As for the advertising time - maybe the advertisers are targetting the C4 demographic (we all know what the RTE demographic is...)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Slightly off topic but I recently watched an episode of Seinfeld on all4. The picture was perfect, or as perfect as it could be for something that was made in the 90s. Then I watched the next episode on RTE player (Same device. Same TV) and I'd say it was in 480i. There were pixels everywhere. You might get away with it on a tablet or phone but it was a disgrace on a 43in TV.

As for the ads I never look at them. Let the dog out, Make tea or find something else to do while they're on.

We must boycott The Late Late Toy Show.

Week after week since March The Late Late Toy Show has been mentioned. Toy man tubs has pimped out this show to the n'th degree. As if the world would come to an end if it didn't air.

Please, please ask your friends, your families, your collueges to boycott TLLTS.

Go further and beg them to stop watching TLLS.

I don't get the infatuation, one reported said this week on calling for the show to be put on a break.
    I say this as a long-time viewer of the show, who has a patriotic affection for it as a national institution. I don't buy into the reflexive sneering and jeering: I'm proud we have the longest-running chat show in the world. It's part of us.

It's just a TV show and not a very good one.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/time-for-rte-to-press-the-off-switch-on-the-late-late-show-39634464.html

We must boycott The Late Late Toy Show.

Week after week since March The Late Late Toy Show has been mentioned. Toy man tubs has pimped out this show to the n'th degree. As if the world would come to an end if it didn't air.

Please, please ask your friends, your families, your collueges to boycott TLLTS.

Go further and beg them to stop watching TLLS.

I don't get the infatuation, one reported said this week on calling for the show to be put on a break.

It's just a TV show and not a very good one.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/time-for-rte-to-press-the-off-switch-on-the-late-late-show-39634464.html

A “Toycott”, so to speak

Tubridy announcing the 'Toy show will definitely go ahead' is very, very arrogant.

He can't predict that.

It would be absolutely hilarious if it was cancelled.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Could be and very likely the music - licenced for broadcast on tv but not the web

As for the advertising time - maybe the advertisers are targetting the C4 demographic (we all know what the RTE demographic is...)

Thanks fitz

Why wouldn't music (in ads you mean presumably) be a copyright problem for Channel 4 as well as RTE?

If the demographic was a problem then surely RTE could price their ad time to outweigh that. The number of people streaming RTE in ROI would be much larger than those streaming Channel 4

I can't see why lack of willing advertisers should be a problem. If you have trouble selling a product you price it accordingly. From a revenue point of view, getting a pittance from the local butcher for advertising space is better than a Fann Linn board.

• Advertisement

During the worst of the virus early on RTE had hardly any ads on radio and tv bar ads for their own shows
    Other stations seemed to have plenty so likely the cost

Advertisement