Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

That'll draw the viewers in for sure, Of course Simon will get the chance to fly to Sweden to show us where we're all going wrong, more nonsense on my tax dollar to add to the rest of the shyte I constantly pay for whether I like it or not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

My local chipper is called The Lido. It's on Pearse St.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Getting a paycheck from RTE and Virgin Media...

Honestly tho, what are his credentials for this kind of show? He could talk to a load of people saying 'crystals will solve the environmental problem... our chakra is out of whack'... and he'd believe it, hook, line and sinker.

Is Eddie Lenihan going to make an appearance and blame it all on fairies?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

A programme featuring Eddie would be a lot more entertaining imv

He's too well educated and intelligent for the likes of RTE.

That's not an insult, either. Eddie's a professor. I think he used to teach in University Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Simon Delaney show is an RSA safety video. It's paid for entirely by the RSA and it will prob be sponsored by the RSA, and contain RSA product placement.

So a few rules about TV programming if you didn't know them

1. A programme that involves product placement must allow the broadcaster and producers have full editorial control
    2. A programme that involves product placement may not be sponsored by any of the product placement providers
    3. Product placement must be clearly stated

so it is unlikely that any of these rules have been met, but sure you know RTÉ are poor and they need some Irish content... just as long as 50% of the cost comes from various other organizations.

1. RTÉ will contend they bought the programme and didn't commission it.
    2. RTÉ will claim that it meets all the requirements and as they didn't commission the programme, technically the RSA can sponsor any bought in programme
    3. It's likely they will declare this, but if they don't they will say it is a public service message from a semi-state body.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

God, if it was an instagram post, they'd have to mark it as an advert.

RTE just don't care.

Up before the Oireachtas Committee. I am sure the Committee will bring up presenter salaries, content, loss of funding to Lyric FM, cutting of children's programming, service that they provide and so on, real bread and butter stuff ...

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It seems the "appearance before" relates solely to the Dublin Pride issue.

Could be interesting but I won't hold my breath.

It is nothing more than this, and little distractions like this only help RTÉ to avoid difficult questions relating to how they run their company. We are slowly taking our eye off the ball and focusing it firmly on our right to be offended.

In other news RTÉ have announced an hour long Irish Language Current Affairs programme starting in Sept.. Oct... perhaps the new year, you'd think they never had such a programme or that it went out 5 nights a week, or that there is no news or current affairs on RTÉ2.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

I should have added this link.

To be fair if it is a distraction it's not one of RTE's making.

Dublin Pride escalated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,159 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

God, i never thought id be on the same side as rte ever again and yet here we are - they've been taken to task by an even bigger shower of bellends

Looks like the gig is cancelled.

Could be for the best.

Time for cool heads.

A Fair City actor suing RTE? Kind of odd, to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,504 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Someone needs to tell the Examiner that "invite" is a verb not a noun.

In other news RTÉ have announced an hour long Irish Language Current Affairs programme starting in Sept.. Oct... perhaps the new year

Why? TG4 exists for a reason.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dom the chemist

RTE got a telling off from the Irish language commissioner for not having enough Irish language programs on their stations, the existence of TG4 doesn't excuse RTE from Irish language programs under the official languages act and the broadcasting act.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭jmcc

Seems that the RTE website, player and apps was offline for a while. It may have been a Cloudflare issue as Boards.ie was also affected.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Glaceon

RTÉ have arbitrarily cut programming in general. Imagine ACT will take into account their responsibilities under broadcasting act as a Public Service Broadcaster, but the BAI will turn a blind eye to their removal of news and current affair from RTÉ2, morning bulletins on RTÉ ONE and evening bulletins on 2FM.

Remember in the 80s and 90s (up to 1998, though the format slowly changed) RTÉ produced 5 nights of News and Current Affairs in Irish on RTÉ2, along with 4 nights of News and, until the 2000s, at least one current affairs programme (Marketplace and Later on 2).

And AFAIK ACT were not pointing to News and CA but Irish language programming in general. So RTÉ could have chosen any type of programme to produce.

Anyway News and Current Affair are getting ready to go on holiday.

@Hotblack Desiato

______

Yesterday

From what I can gather they are relatively well paid, and some then end up collecting the Dole (though people forget if you are paid through out the year and claim your claim can be tax if you earned enough during the weeks that you worked). AFAIK Fair City actors are on 80,000 per year and their year is still only 35 weeks. But I am completely open to correction on this.

I know a Ros Na Run actor brought the production company to court after her character was written out about 10 years ago. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ros-na-run-actor-settles-case-1.983039

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,504 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Great. Who defines what "enough" is?

Just because the law says they must do X or Y doesn't mean it makes any sense. Laws written by self-serving politicians in order to pander to very vocal but very small lobby groups.

@RoTelly Yes RTE used to have more Irish language output in the past, but there was no TG4 then (which RTE are obliged to partially fund). There's no point buying a dog and then barking yourself.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

The reduction in Irish Language programming only happen in the last decade. Only for that commitment did we actually avoid cuts a quicker pace than had occurred with English Language programming.

RTÉ need clear commitments in terms of genre programming and clear aims. I find RTÉ like to have someone else bark for them. For example because the ACT's complaints RTÉ have started airing programming from BBC, TG4 and getting funding from the NI's ILBF, as I pointed out Simon Delahney new show is almost entirely paid for by RSA.

RTÉ: "Want me to bark, pay me to bark and I will get someone to bark for me on their expense but thank you for the check, you can go bark for a refund".

As I have said RTÉ only want to produce News, CA and Sport. If at all possible RTÉ would love to get rid of the independent commissions unit and the RTÉ CO, while retaining their total funding and using said organizations for their programming. They have done this successfully with the BAI, IFB, BBC, TG4, C4 and other co-producers.

If only the Sound and Vision fund was funded by the Exchequer, and incorporated their Independent Commissions Unit!

______

Yesterday

Head of News and CA has left the building.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

octomum? The DG is due to leave in 2023 when her term ends, while the Chair exits at the end of the year.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

So Catherine Martin (and MM) has had the 'Future of media commission' report on her desk for nearly a year now. Going to cabinet in two weeks and then might be released just before the TD's go on their hollybops.

The needle on my old analogue 'Dodgy-o-Meter' is twitching away nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭jmcc

Isn't Octomum Miriam O'Callaghan rather than Dee Forbes?

Regards...jmcc

@jippo nolan You might be thinking of Octomum's husband Carson who's now Head of the BBC Scotland Channel.

______

Yesterday

Didn't get to say this before but ZOO LIVE was a mess of a show. I only glanced at it but it was very messy and boring. The host constantly hoping something interesting might come up and smiling ear to ear like a hyena.

Did anyone send in photos of their days at the Zoo in the end ? All of the photos were pre-1970 that the gave examples off, were they aiming this programme at families or Grandmothers or even Great Grandmothers?

They really had nothing to say that hasn't already been said on THE ZOO, which has a new series starting up.

At least with HOSPITAL LIVE the lives of the patients and their care is something that you can get a story our of, though PBH would do well with the hamster at the petting Zoo, honestly he must keep bitter pills under his cheeks.

But the episode of ZOO LIVE that I saw was abysmal. Let's get our star Radio presenter to scoop up ****, have her talk about how much **** she had to scoop up for the days work and in general talk ****, you can see why she got a morning radio show on 2fm!

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

So what you're saying there Ro is that a show on RTE, hosted by a NKM contractor which also had an different NKM contractor drop in, was a bit sh!t.

I'm flabbergasted!

On a side note - did anyone in the country actually watch any of that Baz show with his ma. I reckon they could have put up the test card and got better figures.

I'm just looking at the tonight show on VM hosted by NKM girl Doherty and with Ger Herbert (motoring) who I suspect is an NK girl too. It's ******* ridiculous.

Advertisement