Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Few of us should email the lads and ask for higher volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Beersmith wrote: »
    Few of us should email the lads and ask for higher volume.

Eleven.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

redbuck wrote: »
    Does anyone find the sound quality of the podcasts poor at times?

When I play it in my car I find that sometimes it's very hard to hear everyone other than Eoin and Murf and Ken sound quite low or distorted.

Yeah level could be a lot higher, I'm often at max volume on my phone and BT headphones, other podcasts are at least "one louder" :)

At least in the car you can turn it up as much as you like, stupid volume limiters.

Ken has such a low-pitched voice you might need to turn the bass up a bit :) he sounded a lot worse on the little wired earphones I used to use.

Glad its not just me!!

I'll mess with the settings on the way home later.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

A P wrote: »
    Hunky Monster - if you want I can email you an MP3 of the Owen interview. Fire me a PM if so

I got to hear it via dodgy means! Thank you and thanks to the few lads who even offered to pay for my sub! Legends all of ye. Hopefully I’ll be sorted by next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Between Reddan and Ryan; some of the rugby pods have been terribly dull

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

God there's going to be so much rugby talk for the next few weeks. It's going to be hard to cope.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I'd love to see someone on here complain about too much soccer coverage, the sport that they spend the most time covering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Maybe I'm completely biased because I like football more than rugby, but I'd imagine the football talk is more entertaining to the casual viewer of both sports. The rugby analysis is just so... technical. Haven't got a clue what they're talking about most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'd love to see someone on here complain about too much soccer coverage, the sport that they spend the most time covering.

That's because 90% of their audience are there for the soccer coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Soccer..... is...... popular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Arghus wrote: »
    God there's going to be so much rugby talk for the next few weeks. It's going to be hard to cope.

I tried to listen to the bumper WC preview today. I hear there's a bandwagon, and in the style of the rugby fan, I want on board.

Listened to the intro bit, someone phoned me and interrupted and I forgot to put it back on.

I'll try again tomorrow. Maybe. Rugby is a great game to watch (when there's something at stake), but rugby discussion is phenomenally dull.

There's only so many times you can pretend our big blokes trying to run past their big blokes is a nuanced and strategic affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Do they still have Gerry Thornley on?

Ol' Donie wrote: »

At least he's somewhat charismatic but some of the SC rugby contributors are dull as dishwater..

And it's not a case of too much technical detail either - a lot of it just dull delivered in a monotone..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I give most of their rugby shows a miss but with the RWC coming I gave them a few whirls and they're really not that great. Definitely not as good as their Gaelic Football offering, but probably slightly better than their hurling shows (they really need new hurling contributors).

The rugby shows would fall flat completely if the producer didn't chime in, his questions are usually better than Eoin's.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    I give most of their rugby shows a miss but with the RWC coming I gave them a few whirls and they're really not that great. Definitely not as good as their Gaelic Football offering, but probably slightly better than their hurling shows (they really need new hurling contributors).

The rugby shows would fall flat completely if the producer didn't chime in, his questions are usually better than Eoin's.

Off the Ball's rugby coverage is definitely better

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

lawred2 wrote: »
    It is, the contributors are certainly better and it's helped by Joe who knows his rugby. Thing I find about OTB at times is it's nearly too much of a rugby love in, blinkered almost, and being in bed with Heineken for the roadshows and other such events means there's an overload of the 2000s rugby generation and their stories. It gets old quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

I tried to listen to the bumper WC preview today. I hear there's a bandwagon, and in the style of the rugby fan, I want on board.

Listened to the intro bit, someone phoned me and interrupted and I forgot to put it back on.

I'll try again tomorrow. Maybe. Rugby is a great game to watch (when there's something at stake), but rugby discussion is phenomenally dull.

There's only so many times you can pretend our big blokes trying to run past their big blokes is a nuanced and strategic affair.

I would consider myself a rugby fan but it took three attempts to get through that podcast, slow going alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Rugby is the one item I will always skip on SC

There are many sports i dont particularly like but they actually have some very interesting characters and stories involved. Rugby seems to have the most boring people involved in seemingly every aspect of it.

Probably add golf to that also

• Advertisement

Beersmith wrote: »
    Probably add golf to that also

Ah I don't mind Clerkin and Donnegan at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    lawred2 wrote: »
    It is, the contributors are certainly better and it's helped by Joe who knows his rugby. Thing I find about OTB at times is it's nearly too much of a rugby love in, blinkered almost, and being in bed with Heineken for the roadshows and other such events means there's an overload of the 2000s rugby generation and their stories. It gets old quick.

I find OTB incredibly difficult to listen to but I do agree that the likes of Keith Wood and BOD are better contributors than the like of Reddan and Ryan.

I actually think Simon really knows his rugby, but again I think he's also guilty of becoming blinkered when it comes to Irish rugby. At the beginning of the 6N he tried to get Matt Williams to admit that the Henshaw at FB against England was a masterstroke, by asking him the same question in about 5 different ways when Matt wouldn't answer it the way Simon wanted.

It does seem to be a rugby thing though. They get very giddy over Ireland and are inevitably brought back down to earth. The one thing I've liked about the build up to this world cup is the fact there's no massive hype around Ireland this time, due to the poor 6N and the drubbing by England a few weeks ago. I've not heard a single mention of potential semi final opponents once in the build up this year, whereas previous years was all about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

He's on today. I'm not big into rugby but find him entertaining because of how rugby he is. The voice is asking to be done by Conor Moore, the impersonator, if he decided to branch out into rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I agree. I watch the matches, but there's only so much I can listen to of Gerry Thornley talking about our lineout and who's playing at full back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

radharc wrote: »
    I would consider myself a rugby fan but it took three attempts to get through that podcast, slow going alright.

In fairness it wasn't all rugby. There was a lengthy enough football bit then a Johnny Cooper interview followed by the rugby preview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dante

If I hear the phrase 'add another string to his bow' one more time....

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Chat about the atmosphere in Naples before between Ken and Miguel was interesting. Always loved the slight roughness of the city meself, good to hear it hasn't changed much in the uber corporate Champions League era.

That's not an endorsement of Miguel, by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

"Zidane is like a magpie on a tractor..."

And that's why it's worth a fiver a month folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Raoul

Chat about the atmosphere in Naples before between Ken and Miguel was interesting. Always loved the slight roughness of the city meself, good to hear it hasn't changed much in the uber corporate Champions League era.

That's not an endorsement of Miguel, by the way!

....blocks user endorsing Miguel.... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

The sooner Miguel Delaney is made an official second captain the better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement