Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

richie is something very different to most ex professionals and a huge asset to the pod. if you want someone with definite, huge, strong and immediate opinions there's always robbie savage or chris sutton, we've all got options

i also think kens value isnt in always being right, its the audacity of the effort. so when he goes big and gets it wrong you have to take that as the price

vive le difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

TwistFace wrote: »
    I think yesterday's episode was pretty poor. I find Richie hard to listen to. I think he doesn't really have his own opinions on things. He's improved a bit on this but his long term strategy is to answer a question with a question. Ken - 'Richie, what do you think of our wingers positioning?' Richie's response to this is 'well what are we saying Ken, are they too wide or too narrow?'. And then he'll work off Ken's response. This just drives me mad!

I noticed this so much after you mentioned it, every hard question he gets he tries to break it down into small pieces and then answers with a question, can be annoying at times.

Overall I still like him, you can see that the lads get on with him well.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Ken letting his Liverpool fan mask slip in this Owen interview

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TwistFace

Interesting that you criticize Richie for not having an opinion, but you then proceed to use someone else's opinion to challenge Ken's opinion. An interesting angle to say the least.

Bit harsh on me but whatever! I did actually give me own opinion on Byrne at the end! Which is in fact the piece I was referring to when criticizing Richie. But hey everyone's entitled to give their own opinion! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    Ken letting his Liverpool fan mask slip in this Owen interview

I don't know why he bothers with the mask in the first place. Granted he is supposed to be impartial but his fiery hatred of MUFC shines through any time he speaks about them anyway

• Advertisement

dulux99 wrote: »
    I don't know why he bothers with the mask in the first place. Granted he is supposed to be impartial but his fiery hatred of MUFC shines through any time he speaks about them anyway

to be fair, theres an awful lot of non-lfc fans that havent a lot good to say about the superentity that is MUFC- and a lot of them would even be MUFC fans themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

to be fair, theres an awful lot of non-lfc fans that havent a lot good to say about the superentity that is MUFC- and a lot of them would even be MUFC fans themselves

Of course. He's on the extreme end of the spectrum though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

dulux99 wrote: »
    Of course. He's on the extreme end of the spectrum though.

No he's not. He's nowhere near the extreme end of the spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

the michael owen podcast was a lot better than i thought it'd be

Cienciano wrote: »
    Anyone listen to the latest Players Chair with Paul O'Connell? Very good I though, definitely one of the better ones. Only problem was, it was too short. Only about half an hour.

I would have preferred a bit more talk about his playing career, a bit less about psychology. Or even a bit of balance between the two. I for instance was wondering when he thought his best ever performance was etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

the michael owen podcast was a lot better than i thought it'd be

Agree. Ken asked him questions about other interesting parts of it rather than just the explosive stuff that has been in the media

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Owens voice lacks drama.... hard to pay attention to the podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Beersmith

The best bit was when Ken recalled a moment in the match that Owen claimed was his best ever performance. The moment was Stevie G with an amazing pass. Would have been great to see Owens face when Ken said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

My sub finally expired and along comes an interview I actually want to hear.

Damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Still Ill

My sub finally expired and along comes an interview I actually want to hear.

Damn.

You know how to remedy that? Support independent journalism!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Still Ill wrote: »

As much as I want to I’ve lost my job so things like SC, Netflix, Spotify had to go. I do miss the lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭deisedude

As much as I want to I’ve lost my job so things like SC, Netflix, Spotify had to go. I do miss the lads.

Best of luck Hunky Monster. Hope you get sorted soon

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Mickey Owen interview was quite good. Ken & Owen both seemed to be enjoying it too. I located Owen's book on the high seas and it's a interesting enough read. He goes into specifics about money and behind the scenes goings on which most football autobiogs generally avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Enjoyed the Owen interview too.. He's a lot more interesting than the image portrayed of him. He got a lot of stick for his commentary on BT, but he was pretty brutal tbf. I find he's decent enough at studio analysis though.

On the topic of contributors' pay, I saw Ewan MacKenna tweeting that he invoiced the BBC for €40 for 20 mins airtime and they wouldn't pay him, so that might be an insight as to what's the going rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭A P

Hunky Monster - if you want I can email you an MP3 of the Owen interview. Fire me a PM if so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Enjoyed the Owen interview too.. He's a lot more interesting than the image portrayed of him. He got a lot of stick for his commentary on BT, but he was pretty brutal tbf. I find he's decent enough at studio analysis though.

On the topic of contributors' pay, I saw Ewan MacKenna tweeting that he invoiced the BBC for €40 for 20 mins airtime and they wouldn't pay him, so that might be an insight as to what's the going rate.

Ah Ewan is a wingebag. I would be absolutely shocked if they aren't getting 100 euro at the very least for contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I do enjoy the disdain that Ken and Murph show for Grunge week

I do enjoy the disdain that Ken and Murph show for Grunge week

Best week of the year!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Not familiar with the song they played, even though it was more folk than grunge, I liked it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

deisedude wrote: »
    Best week of the year!

Grunge week is great. Ken and Murph don't know what they're talking about. They probably listened to totally bland britpop shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Does anyone find the sound quality of the podcasts poor at times?

When I play it in my car I find that sometimes it's very hard to hear everyone other than Eoin and Murf and Ken sound quite low or distorted.

Arghus wrote: »
    Grunge week is great. Ken and Murph don't know what they're talking about. They probably listened to totally bland britpop shite.

*Moshes office appropriate short hair wearing chinos and a shirt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Ken trolling murph on the GAA pod this Monday was gas, especially his mention of the 'Kerry Ultras' on the hill!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,281 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

redbuck wrote: »

When I play it in my car I find that sometimes it's very hard to hear everyone other than Eoin and Murf and Ken sound quite low or distorted.

Yeah level could be a lot higher, I'm often at max volume on my phone and BT headphones, other podcasts are at least "one louder" :)

At least in the car you can turn it up as much as you like, stupid volume limiters.

Ken has such a low-pitched voice you might need to turn the bass up a bit :) he sounded a lot worse on the little wired earphones I used to use.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

redbuck wrote: »

Yes, in comparison to Totally Football Show it's a lot lower

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement