Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your New WHS Index

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Hi, just a quick query. With placing during winter golf and that, am I right in saying that competition scores won't effect the new HI? So my current HI will stay the same each weekend, no matter how good or bad I play?

Apologies if I'm totally wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

macslash wrote: »
    Hi, just a quick query. With placing during winter golf and that, am I right in saying that competition scores won't effect the new HI? So my current HI will stay the same each weekend, no matter how good or bad I play?

Apologies if I'm totally wrong.
    Not necessarily. During the Winter season (November to April iirc), you can still have qualifying competitions providing that the rules of golf are not suspended beyond the model local rules designed to help protect golf courses when conditions are wet.

Basically, preferred lies on fairways (lift clean and place no more than 6" from where the ball is at rest) and lift, clean and REplace in the rough are local rules that can be applied and maintain qualifying.

You can look up the model local rules here: The specific ones are MLR-E2 and MLR-E3. These are also covered in the CONGU manual and assume they will be in the WHS handicapping manual as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Basically, preferred lies on fairways (lift clean and place no more than 6" from where the ball is at rest) and lift, clean and REplace in the rough are local rules that can be applied and maintain qualifying.

why the hell do we not use this rule more, no reason not to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Seve OB wrote: »

Most comps are shortened to fewer holes in winter so qualifying golf is difficult to play so its not just the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Most comps are shortened to fewer holes in winter so qualifying golf is difficult to play so its not just the above.

Wouldn't 9 hole count

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Ceepo wrote: »
    Wouldn't 9 hole count

Try telling members their 14/15 hole weekend competition is now 9 holes. 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Try telling members their 14/15 hole weekend competition is now 9 holes. 😄

Sure couldn't you play 9 hole competition, and play a few extra social holes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Daft that 9 hole comps can count but 12, 14 or whatever can’t

Daft that 9 hole comps can count but 12, 14 or whatever can’t
    It was always an issue. The problem under CONGU was that you needed to get assessed specifically for the holes in play in order to get an SSS for them. I imagine it's possible to do this for 12 or 15 holes, but difficult to do calculations on handicaps with hole indexes etc. So some clubs had just the front nine assessed for nine hole comps, but not the back nine. But until you had an SSS for the particular set of holes, you couldn't have qualifying comps on them.

Under WHS, front and back nines have been rated by default. I really don't know if it's possible to do that with 12 or 15, but I'd expect it's difficult enough.
    I think this is a recent enough change. I first saw it mentioned here and it was listed in a CONGU update last year, but the GUI firstly denied that it was effective here (even though CONGU had said it was), but after some back and forth, the GUI allowed it for qualifying comps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I think this is a recent enough change. I first saw it mentioned here and it was listed in a CONGU update last year, but the GUI firstly denied that it was effective here (even though CONGU had said it was), but after some back and forth, the GUI allowed it for qualifying comps.
    Yeah, I think this year was the first year I saw the rule implemented in my home club.

They used it for the first medal of the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭david2002

In WHS the calculation would be
    Course Handicap 11.7( (9.8 X 135) / 113) + course rating minus course par
    Why in ireland do we not include include rating - par.
    Just interestedin the logic ofGB and Irent usin whs calc.

Its supposed to be a world handicap system.

Mac_Lad71 wrote: »
    CONGU handicap 11.9.

WHS Handicap Index 9.8.

Course Handicap 11.7( (9.8 X 135) / 113) with 135 being the slope index of my home course off white tees.

Playing Handicap for competitions is 95% of course handicap which in my case gives me 11 shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

david2002 wrote: »
    In WHS the calculation would be
    Course Handicap 11.7( (9.8 X 135) / 113) + course rating minus course par
    Why in ireland do we not include include rating - par.
    Just interestedin the logic ofGB and Irent usin whs calc.

Its supposed to be a world handicap system.

I saw this article about the flaws of including the "course rating minus par". The author created the USGA Course Rating System, so it's not some random blogger. It's worth a read.
    https://www.golfdigest.com/story/voices-the-flaw-in-the-new-world-handicap-system-dean-knuth

According to him the GB&I approach is the correct one, although he doesn't explicitly mention it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/voices-the-flaw-in-the-new-world-handicap-system-dean-knuth

According to him the GB&I approach is the correct one, although he doesn't explicitly mention it..

Very interesting read. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,997 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Anybody any issues with the email link to register.

2 days waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Not necessarily. During the Winter season (November to April iirc), you can still have qualifying competitions providing that the rules of golf are not suspended beyond the model local rules designed to help protect golf courses when conditions are wet.

You can look up the model local rules here: The specific ones are MLR-E2 and MLR-E3. These are also covered in the CONGU manual and assume they will be in the WHS handicapping manual as well.

What is lift clean and replace?

A drop from knee height?!

What is lift clean and replace?

A drop from knee height?!
    No. Literally put the ball back from where you lifted it. Exactly or as near as. You can't place in a preferred location as you can on the fairway.

Anybody any issues with the email link to register.

2 days waiting.
    I think you'll be waiting for a response to this too, since most people have registered a good while ago. :pac:

I would suggest all the usual things like check your spam folder, if it's a Gmail address, check whether it's gone into 'Updates' or similar and if that all fails, go through the process again and make sure there are no typos in your email address - I know this will prompt an indignant response, but if I had a € for every time this has happened (despite protestations to the contrary) I'd be off playing golf a lot more and sitting in front of my computer a lot less. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭decko11

While you're waiting for your h/sec, check for the missing scores on GolfNet. If they're not there, it's definitely the club's issue and not the GUI.

I'm in the same predicament with 10 scores unprocessed - they are clearly visable in Golfnet - yet my handicap sec says he has no record of them - does this make sense or is he wrong ?

decko11 wrote: »
    I'm in the same predicament with 10 scores unprocessed - they are clearly visable in Golfnet - yet my handicap sec says he has no record of them - does this make sense or is he wrong ?
    Rather than write it up all over again, here's my response to another poster with the same query:
    The only difference I see on Master Scoreboard is that away scores don't seem to show up on your playing record. All my home scores are there going back two years. Unprocessed scores are usually away scores which haven't been processed by your club. The sequence (before WHS) went like this:
    1. Away club posts your scores to GolfNet when closing the competition.
    2. They remain unprocessed until your club runs a GolfNet update; usually before closing a home competition in order to capture any changes to your handicap that may have resulted from an away comp.
    3. The scores on GolfNet change from unprocessed to processed (like any other scores).

However, there seems to have been some 'churn' in the GolfNet data at the time of changeover. Some clubs may have found that all data from an older competition didn't transfer, so 'forced' an update for that competition in order to capture the missing data (around the time of the changeover, you'll find a conversation between me and Golfgraffix on this thread about how to deal with this kind of problem). That may have resulted in previously processed scores becoming unprocessed again.

I'm clearly hypothesizing here as I don't have access to your systems and can't tell for sure. But the above outline is what I've observed at the time of changeover and how we fixed it. The problem now is that we've moved on, software now doesn't talk to GolfNet but talks to Golf Ireland and away scores seem to be dealt with differently. (assuming your missing scores were away ones).

So if they're away scores, I think now that the system is dependant on the away clubs updating the WHS portal and your h/sec has no way of doing it now. It should have been sorted before the changeover, but a lot of clubs didn't even log in to the new portal when it was opened up to them in advance of the changeover and then left it too late to make any amendments. I had to do a lot of this stuff for my club and it took a lot of time and effort to have everything sorted by changeover day.

• Advertisement

Rather than write it up all over again, here's my response to another poster with the same query:

So if they're away scores, I think now that the system is dependant on the away clubs updating the WHS portal and your h/sec has no way of doing it now. It should have been sorted before the changeover, but a lot of clubs didn't even log in to the new portal when it was opened up to them in advance of the changeover and then left it too late to make any amendments. I had to do a lot of this stuff for my club and it took a lot of time and effort to have everything sorted by changeover day.

Thanks Prawnsambo

Some of my unprocessed go back 2 years - any idea why the home club wouldnt process etc

Thanks Prawnsambo

Some of my unprocessed go back 2 years - any idea why the home club wouldnt process etc
    Have they always been unprocessed? If that's the case, no idea. To my mind, it's almost impossible for that to happen. If it's recent, it's probably as I describe above; away club finds some issue with their own members for that comp and 'force' an update which resets your score to unprocessed. If your club didn't do a GolfNet update (while GolfNet was still alive) that unprocessed score will probably stay that way unless somebody at the away club or Golf Ireland fix it.

Edit: Just checked with the Golf Ireland updates and it seems that your h/sec can enter these away scores manually. A pain in the hole, but at least that's one way to fix them.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭septicsac

Ok, I have been six weeks on to my so called handicap secretary/committee, but for the love of all that is sacred I cannot get them to add 5 counting scores that were missed from my golfnet account to my golfireland scores. I have gone about it in the nice way and now at the stage where I do not want to meet them for fear of what will be said. I have asked them politely to forward this issue to the next stage, if they are unwilling to address same and to copy me in the correspondence(as I just do not trust them to deal with it) . The next stage is to raise it with the GUI Handicapping Convenor/Branch Office, which I have asked them to do and to copy me in same, but again nothing from them. Does anyone have a contact for the GUI Handicapping Convenor/Branch Office or know where same can be found?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭kennethrhcp

septicsac wrote: »
    Ok, I have been six weeks on to my so called handicap secretary/committee, but for the love of all that is sacred I cannot get them to add 5 counting scores that were missed from my golfnet account to my golfireland scores. I have gone about it in the nice way and now at the stage where I do not want to meet them for fear of what will be said. I have asked them politely to forward this issue to the next stage, if they are unwilling to address same and to copy me in the correspondence(as I just do not trust them to deal with it) . The next stage is to raise it with the GUI Handicapping Convenor/Branch Office, which I have asked them to do and to copy me in same, but again nothing from them. Does anyone have a contact for the GUI Handicapping Convenor/Branch Office or know where same can be found?

I was in a situation were I switched clubs in late 2019, on golfnet all my old rounds were there & linked to my new gui number but on golf ireland only the 10 qualifying rounds in 2020 appeared which meant my handicap is based off my 3 best scores from 10 instead of 8 from 20.

I was onto our handicap sec & he got onto munster gui, he got the following back:

"Many clubs have been in touch wondering why some scores are missing from the system. As we mentioned last week, in arriving at the best possible estimation of a player’s WHS Index, we have used data from the old Golfnet system. In some cases the data on Golfnet was incomplete – scores were missing from players’ records. In other cases, we omitted scores that were on the Golfnet system because the data was unreliable and its use would have resulted in a less accurate calculation of WHS Indices.

It should be borne in mind that we have not tried to replicate each player’s old scoring record on the new system. We have used as many reliable scores as possible to arrive at the best possible estimate of the Indices. It is not expected that Club Officials will manually enter omitted historical scores into players’ records on the new platform. However, where the calculation of the Handicap Index isn’t quite right, you may wish to enter some historical scores to correct the Index. Alternatively, you can choose to simply apply a manual adjustment to the player’s record on the system."

So i'm just taking what I have & shur it'll even itself out over the next few months. my new handicap is 6.5 my old exact was 8.7

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm in s similar situation. Was given a 6.8 handicap (down from 13.7), and it seemed to be based on a single score (my best) from the year. When i look at my scores on GolfIreland, it shows two scores, both from the blues, and only one of them was used in the handicap calculation. Got onto my club and they eventually changed it to 10.8, but it's still showing only the one score.

If it's 10.8, that's fine and i'll try and work with it, but surely they should be able to see that only two of my scores for the entire year are listed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Brusna

Kiith wrote: »
    I'm in s similar situation. Was given a 6.8 handicap (down from 13.7), and it seemed to be based on a single score (my best) from the year. When i look at my scores on GolfIreland, it shows two scores, both from the blues, and only one of them was used in the handicap calculation. Got onto my club and they eventually changed it to 10.8, but it's still showing only the one score.

If it's 10.8, that's fine and i'll try and work with it, but surely they should be able to see that only two of my scores for the entire year are listed?

So is there just 5 or less cards showing on your WHS record?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

Brusna wrote: »

Hi I have only 5 competition scores recorded on golf ireland for my new WHS handicap as I only joined my club this year. My handicap went from 24 to 20.6 as I had one good round shooting 18 over par. The other four rounds were 26 over par plus but we're not taken in to consideration for the new WHS. I am a late starter to golf and was wondering should I just be happy with that handicap or should I ask the handicap secretary to take a look at it as he knows my true handicap should be around the 24.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Hi I have only 5 competition scores recorded on golf ireland for my new WHS handicap as I only joined my club this year. My handicap went from 24 to 20.6 as I had one good round shooting 18 over par. The other four rounds were 26 over par plus but we're not taken in to consideration for the new WHS. I am a late starter to golf and was wondering should I just be happy with that handicap or should I ask the handicap secretary to take a look at it as he knows my true handicap should be around the 24.

Play more golf

If you had a round that was 18 over I would have expected even lower handicap tbf

I personally wouldn’t ask for a change.

Your HI at the moment is based on the golf you have played and nothing else. As you add more rounds to your record it will come more in line with your ability.

If your handicap secretary makes an adjustment it will be added to each of your existing rounds. So for the next 15 rounds your handicap will be based on the golf you play plus the handicap committees opinion.

It would be 20 rounds before you get back to your HI based purely on golf played.

I wouldn’t want that, but at the end of the day it’s your decision.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

There's only two showing on mine, and only one is saying it was used in the calculation. That one score was my best ever score, and not really anything like most of the other scores i put it.

Hrl6wRg.png

10.8 probably isn't that far off what i would be supposed to get i suppose, as i did have a few decent rounds in the previous 20 rounds. I'd just like to make sure of that.

6.8 was nowhere near my level though, so glad that's changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

I personally wouldn’t ask for a change.

Your HI at the moment is based on the golf you have played and nothing else. As you add more rounds to your record it will come more in line with your ability.

If your handicap secretary makes an adjustment it will be added to each of your existing rounds. So for the next 15 rounds your handicap will be based on the golf you play plus the handicap committees opinion.

It would be 20 rounds before you get back to your HI based purely on golf played.

I wouldn’t want that, but at the end of the day it’s your decision.

Thank you for your reply ill leave it be at the new handicap play more next year and try improve some more cheers.

• Advertisement

There's only two showing on mine, and only one is saying it was used in the calculation. That one score was my best ever score, and not really anything like most of the other scores i put it.

Hrl6wRg.png

10.8 probably isn't that far off what i would be supposed to get i suppose, as i did have a few decent rounds in the previous 20 rounds. I'd just like to make sure of that.

You can get your h/sec to enter your older scores. Golf Ireland have issued some guidance on doing this:
    Entering Historical Scores:
    Whilst we have mentioned before that populating a player’s record with past scores should not be treated as an exercise in trying to perfectly replicate the player’s scoring history, we do accept that some of you may wish to enter historical scores, particularly when the score will have a material effect on the player’s WHS Handicap Index.

Historical scores can be manually input using the “Scores” tab in the Clubhouse. If it is an away score, please be sure to enter the player’s name/number before then choosing the club/course where the score was recorded.

Some of you have asked whether it is possible to enter a PCC value for such a score. Unfortunately, the system will not permit this. However, as a workaround, you may choose to adjust the adjusted gross score to take account of the difference between SSS and CSS on the day in question.

So as not to completely bury him in work, you should probably put together your missing scores on a spreadsheet first with the date, course, tees and individual hole scores as well as your handicap at the time.

Hrl6wRg.png

So for whatever reason your scores didn’t come across from golfnet to golfireland.

The rounds can be added manually but that’s a nice bit of work to get through as the handicap secretary would have to add 18 rounds by adding the individual hole score for all 18 holes for all 18 rounds.

It’s very easy to make a handicap adjustment which is what he has done in your case by adding 4 to your HI.

Of course it’s not perfect but I’d say a fair compromise.

Hrl6wRg.png

Am I going insane but your score difference for that round should be:

(83 - 71.1 - 1) * (113/129) = 9.5

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Am I going insane but your score difference for that round should be:

(83 - 71.1 - 1) * (113/129) = 9.5

The course rating is 71.9 not 71.1. That gives 8.8. The handicap secretary has given a +4 adjustment bringing it to 12.8.

His HI is 12.8 - 2 as he has only 2 scores on his record. When he has 4 cards it will go to 11.8 and at 5 cards it will go to 12.8.

AH got you

I personally dont think that adjustment should be made. The round happened and should be part of your record

We have a guy who has gone from 6 to +0.2 with only 5 rounds

Not ideal but he must play rounds to get it in order

AH got you

I personally dont think that adjustment should be made. The round happened and should be part of your record

In normal circumstances it would be one of 8 scores so in this case the +4 adjustment is appropriate imho.

We have a guy who has gone from 6 to +0.2 with only 5 rounds

Not ideal but he must play rounds to get it in order

I’d be surprised if the GUI don’t step in in that situation as the player will now be classed as an elite player.

Have they always been unprocessed? If that's the case, no idea. To my mind, it's almost impossible for that to happen. If it's recent, it's probably as I describe above; away club finds some issue with their own members for that comp and 'force' an update which resets your score to unprocessed. If your club didn't do a GolfNet update (while GolfNet was still alive) that unprocessed score will probably stay that way unless somebody at the away club or Golf Ireland fix it.

Edit: Just checked with the Golf Ireland updates and it seems that your h/sec can enter these away scores manually. A pain in the hole, but at least that's one way to fix them.

Yeah but then I am now meant to produce scorecards for 10 round going back 2 years... mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭CFG92

Yeah but then I am now meant to produce scorecards for 10 round going back 2 years... mad

All that is needed is the adjusted gross score, tees played off and the date - all that should be on your golfnet record. The HC sec doesn't need to enter hole by hole scores on Golf Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

On golf Ireland it's now saying whs 25 but how did I do is 23.9. I assume I go by golf Ireland??

Keith C wrote: »
    On golf Ireland it's now saying whs 25 but how did I do is 23.9. I assume I go by golf Ireland??

HowDidiDo no longer shows your correct handicap, only when you sign in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

HowDidiDo no longer shows your correct handicap, only when you sign in.

So the current Handicap list on HowDidIdo will remain as is (i.e. out of date) going forward?

With our 14 hole competitions which started this week, the Pro was looking at the list on HowDidIdo to get each players Handicap Index and then wrote it on the card for them. I have let her know that this won't work in future.

One member played a qualifying competition at another club yesterday and it resulted in him getting .6 back and, as you highlighted, HowDidIdo has not updated his handicap.

HighLine wrote: »
    So the current Handicap list on HowDidIdo will remain as is (i.e. out of date) going forward?

With our 14 hole competitions which started this week, the Pro was looking at the list on HowDidIdo to get each players Handicap Index and then wrote it on the card for them. I have let her know that this won't work in future.

One member played a qualifying competition at another club yesterday and it resulted in him getting .6 back and, as you highlighted, HowDidIdo has not updated his handicap.

The pro can check in clubV1, just not in the puplic version (HowDidiDo) he should set up a clubhouse account with Golf Ireland.

You may have already seen it but Golf Ireland are now allowing you to see your handicap index online. This was previously only allowed via the golf Ireland website.

Glad they have seen the light.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I haven't been in masterscoreboard for so long that I forget the club password :rolleyes:

You may have already seen it but Golf Ireland are now allowing you to see your handicap index online. This was previously only allowed via the golf Ireland website.

J

A big improvement. I can now see everyone's handicap index in the club.

Briefly last year I could also look in other clubs via the golf ireland app. Any idea when the app will be working again?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭the long lad

A big improvement. I can now see everyone's handicap index in the club.

Briefly last year I could also look in other clubs via the golf ireland app. Any idea when the app will be working again?

Where on the Golf Ireland site can you see other members' handicaps?

Where on the Golf Ireland site can you see other members' handicaps?

I can see all my club's members' HI on masterscoreboard.

Briefly on the Golf Ireland app you could see all members of all clubs. I hope that returns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Russman

J

Apologies for being a bit dense with this, but what do you mean by that ? How is viewing it online different to the Golf Ireland website ? Genuinely confused.

Advertisement