Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Tony said to Ariel the only reason Charlie Olives beat him was because he only trained bjj for 5 hours his whole camp. Very strange fella Tony, someone close to him should probably suggest to him to retire because the more beatings he's taking the more erratic he's getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

rob316 wrote: »
    Frank Mir also boxing on this show. Big fan of Mir but I couldn't pay for it. $24 dollars by the way

And he's fighting a proper legit champion boxer as well :eek:

I didn't realise that. Assumed he'd be fighting another nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

Homelander wrote: »
    And he's fighting a proper legit champion boxer as well :eek:

I didn't realise that. Assumed he'd be fighting another nobody.

Steve Cunningham is no joke, moved up from Cruiser and put Tyson Fury on his ass before Fury came back and stopped him. Mir is in serious trouble here.

Mir has looked utterly terrible in all his Bellator appearances. He's slow as hell, moves and throws like he's underwater.

Unless something has dramatically changed, he's gonna get absolutely killed in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,512 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I used to absolutely love watching Mir fight, his battles with Nog were legendary but not sure if the juice stopped flowing or too many bad KO's just put him in slow mo and being slow at HW can get you wrecked. Don't fancy his chances at this.

• Advertisement

It's funny they couldn't get Tarver so they got Cunningham how he drew with in his last fight. Mir is going to get punched around and the odds reflect it. It shouldn't have been sanctioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,017 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Nunes to win by domination whenever she feels like.

https://twitter.com/BigMarcel24/status/1382808732816523271

• Registered Users Posts: 20,548 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

ASOT wrote: »
    It's funny they couldn't get Tarver so they got Cunningham how he drew with in his last fight. Mir is going to get punched around and the odds reflect it. It shouldn't have been sanctioned.

Yep its not going to be pretty the only thing that will look worse is the weigh in Franks seems to have piled on the weight

Did anyone actually watch the Askren fight? Like hell would I have paid for it, but the whole thing was unbelievably cringe, even the commentary was just god awful.

Askren went down like a sack of potatos, I honestly expected Jake Paul to win but not quite that ridiculously easily. Absolutely insanity to believe that millions was made out of that car-wreck.

Not that I fault then, if people are willing to pay for it fair enough, but it's not boxing, it's pure "entertainment". Would actually imagine if Jake Paul was smart he would challenge Ben to a re-match, but this time in MMA.

Didn't watch Frank Mir but at least he went the distance. He had even less chance than Askren of winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,088 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Not that I fault then, if people are willing to pay for it fair enough, but it's not boxing, it's pure "entertainment". Would actually imagine if Jake Paul was smart he would challenge Ben to a re-match, but this time in MMA.

That would be very short sighted by Jake Paul. He’d sell some PPVs. Make a killing. But he’s clearly lose badly and it harms his future image and earnings.

Ben fought like he does in MMA. Plodding in with no head movement. He’s got Rousey level of head movement. And like Rousey he got away with it in MMA as he had the takedown and threat of a takedown. Without that he was a plodding target.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Did anyone actually watch the Askren fight? Like hell would I have paid for it, but the whole thing was unbelievably cringe, even the commentary was just god awful.

Askren went down like a sack of potatos, I honestly expected Jake Paul to win but not quite that ridiculously easily. Absolutely insanity to believe that millions was made out of that car-wreck.

Didn't watch Frank Mir but at least he went the distance. He had even less chance than Askren of winning.

The event was a joke. I was up when it started so decided to tune in a watch a bit. First fight was between a nightclub owner who had 8 pro fights on his record. He was fighting some singer who had been training boxing a month. The nightclub owner had a height and reach advantage and about 10 pounds on the guy with only 1 months training. It lasted 2 full rounds and the singer didn't even land a single punch. In the last minute of the first round, Pete Davidson went up to the commentators box and the camera stopped showing the fight and focused on the commentators for the rest of the round. When the hell would you see that in a fight.

Then there was about 90 minutes of music acts. They had Ric Flair hosting a slap fight after that. I was beginning to wonder if I had been drugged or I was having a fever dream at that stage. Then more music, then the Frank Mir fight. I stopped watching at that stage. I streamed it for free and still felt incredibly ripped off. Can't imagine what the poor fúckers who paid $50 for that fell like. I expected it to be bad but no way did I expect it to be that bad. Easily the worst combat sports event I have ever watched. Easily the worst sports related thing I have ever watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Watched the card. An absolute shambles and embarrassment from start to finish.

I was dipping in and out up until the Mir fight, but at one point there was some R&B lady on stage failing to mime properly. Then Ice Cube appeared out of nowhere. I had no idea what was going on.

The Mir fight was pretty bad but was much better than what was to come.

The Prograis fight was a farce. He threw a body punch, glanced his opponent's ribcage and the lad dropped to the ground in agony claiming a low blow. He stayed there for 10 solid minutes before being taken away on a stretcher.

This was before a presenter announced "the moment you've all been waiting for"

Justin Bieber! He got into a sound stage and sang a few songs. Why? I have no idea.

Oscar De La Hoya was removed from commentary for quite clearly being...... intoxicated..... and by the time the Main Event started the commentary team was Snoop Dogg, Pete Davidson, AC Slater & some Tik Tok fella.

Glad I didn't pay for it and I certainly won't pay for anything so sub-par in the future

The event was a joke. I was up when it started so decided to tune in a watch a bit. First fight was between a nightclub owner who had 8 pro fights on his record. He was fighting some singer who had been training boxing a month. The nightclub owner had a height and reach advantage and about 10 pounds on the guy with only 1 months training. It lasted 2 full rounds and the singer didn't even land a single punch. In the last minute of the first round, Pete Davidson went up to the commentators box and the camera stopped showing the fight and focused on the commentators for the rest of the round. When the hell would you see that in a fight.

Then there was about 90 minutes of music acts. They had Ric Flair hosting a slap fight after that. I was beginning to wonder if I had been drugged or I was having a fever dream at that stage. Then more music, then the Frank Mir fight. I stopped watching at that stage. I streamed it for free and still felt incredibly ripped off. Can't imagine what the poor fúckers who paid $50 for that fell like. I expected it to be bad but no way did I expect it to be that bad. Easily the worst combat sports event I have ever watched. Easily the worst sports related thing I have ever watched.

Nail on the head, the production was so strange. They have the rights to Teo Lopez title fight on June 5th and already have Holyfield v Kevin McBride and Diplo the DJ on the undercard. Shambles.

Then there was about 90 minutes of music acts. They had Ric Flair hosting a slap fight after that. I was beginning to wonder if I had been drugged or I was having a fever dream at that stage.....

I'd forgotten about this. Ric Flair reffing a slap fight while Pete Davidson sat on a forklift. Bizarre!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Watched the card. An absolute shambles and embarrassment from start to finish.

I was dipping in and out up until the Mir fight, but at one point there was some R&B lady on stage failing to mime properly. Then Ice Cube appeared out of nowhere. I had no idea what was going on.

The Mir fight was pretty bad but was much better than what was to come.

The Prograis fight was a farce. He threw a body punch, glanced his opponent's ribcage and the lad dropped to the ground in agony claiming a low blow. He stayed there for 10 solid minutes before being taken away on a stretcher.

This was before a presenter announced "the moment you've all been waiting for"

Justin Bieber! He got into a sound stage and sang a few songs. Why? I have no idea.

Oscar De La Hoya was removed from commentary for quite clearly being...... intoxicated..... and by the time the Main Event started the commentary team was Snoop Dogg, Pete Davidson, AC Slater & some Tik Tok fella.

Glad I didn't pay for it and I certainly won't pay for anything so sub-par in the future

Oscar De La Fúcking Hoya. How did I forget about him. His sole contribution to the commentary team was to roar incomprehensible gibberish followed by the word "BABY" the whole fight.

De La Hoya was in a bad bad bad way, I was surprised he was allowed stay on for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I'm surprised people actually even watched this.
    What were people expecting with that window licker headlining against a smaller fighter/the worst striker MMA has possibly ever seen.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    What were people expecting with that window licker headlining against a smaller fighter/the worst striker MMA has possibly ever seen.

I was up anyway and seen a reddit thread about it so stuck it on out of morbid curiousity. Was expecting it to be poor but it was way worse than I thought. Even the camera work was awful. The cameramen were standing on the edge of the ring outside the ropes with the camera on their shoulders. So, the camera was really close to the fighters and wasn't steady at all. That's the type of thing you would expect from a smaller organisation sticking their fights up on youtube or something not from a $50 PPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,548 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I decided id give this a watch next morning ,
    So I started with the Mir fight and didn't even last a round before I turned it off basically he commentary team gave me some kind of PTS from a war I was never in , They seriously assaulted my ear drums it can only be descried as noise pollution

I seen a video of the weigh in and your man looked like a Aldi version of McGregor it was so so so so so so bad,

The sooner a real boxer or fighter sparks him the better for humanity ,

Tazzimus wrote: »

In my defence, I had it on in the background while having a few drinks with family. Was just dipping in and out.

Had it been any other night,I wouldn't have even bothered. Or bothered watching the main event the following morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Is boxing just away to pish these days with all this nonsense?

I'm not slagging off the sport, just admitting that I don't follow it. But with the McGregor fiasco laying the groundwork for what was essentially I hugely financially successful mismatched exhibition fight, now we have dog poop like the weekend's event with a bum like Paul making a fortune for doing nothing of any real substance.

At least the McGregor Mayweather fight had 2 highly skilled people in their own right. Askren is about as good a boxer as I am and this lad Paul is probably at a level that a decent amateur would batter.

It's like society, people with little or no skill or actual value to give to society, making an absolute fortune just by generating interest in a freakshow.

Like people who make millions by declaring themselves influencers on youtube.

MrStuffins wrote: »

This has been changed from technical decision to TKO

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2021/4/19/22392394/triller-fight-club-askren-vs-paul-technical-decision-overturned-regis-prograis-tko-win

Here's the "offending" punch

https://twitter.com/FiteTV/status/1383633929450577925?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I just watched the Askren match on YouTube the next morning.

Was shocked Michael Buffer got Askrens name wrong. Very unprofessional, it’s the main event. Learn his bloody name. Bruce would never make a mistake like that.
    Snoop Dogg shouting curses and even dropping the N word after the fight while boasting about his bet. Who the hell wants to hear him spouting stoned bull**** on commentary.
    Camera work as was mentioned above was awful.

They got 5 minutes of my time which made me feel embarrassed enough without paying a penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Jake Paul might end up carving out a niche that Colby can only ever dream of. 90% of the people buying would have been watching hoping he gets knocked out. He will have to keep stepping up the competition to keep the interest going, but he's going to make a lot of money until he find his level of incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,017 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

derfderf wrote: »
    Jake Paul might end up carving out a niche that Colby can only ever dream of. 90% of the people buying would have been watching hoping he gets knocked out. He will have to keep stepping up the competition to keep the interest going, but he's going to make a lot of money until he find his level of incompetence.

Yeah he can call the shots.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2021/4/18/22390653/jake-paul-targeted-by-mma-fighters-after-ben-askren-knockout-tyron-woodley-bj-penn-dillon-danis

All the lads begging for attention. :P

I don't know who I would cheer if he fought Danis which seems to be the fight everyone is predicting, but Paul would murder him.

I think Paul would swerve Woodley though as their is still some life left in him as his last fight showed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Yeah he can call the shots.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2021/4/18/22390653/jake-paul-targeted-by-mma-fighters-after-ben-askren-knockout-tyron-woodley-bj-penn-dillon-danis

All the lads begging for attention. :P

I don't know who I would cheer if he fought Danis which seems to be the fight everyone is predicting, but Paul would murder him.

I think Paul would swerve Woodley though as their is still some life left in him as his last fight showed.

Paul has more pro boxing fights than Dillon has pro MMA fights :D.
    Woodley fighting Paul would mean little to no weight cut for Woodley. Dana is talking about releasing him too. That's one I'd like to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

mdwexford wrote: »
    I just watched the Askren match on YouTube the next morning.

Snoop Dogg shouting curses and even dropping the N word after the fight while boasting about his bet. Who the hell wants to hear him spouting stoned bull**** on commentary.

Come on man - With all due respect, that caters to their target audience 100%. Leads to clicks, views and buys.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Can't remember where I saw it, but I saw an MMA math statement that made me laugh.

Jake Paul beat Askren, who beat Lawler, who beat Koscheck, who beat Rumble, who beat Arlovski, who beat Struve, who beat Stipe, who beat Ngannou, therefore Paul > Ngannou.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

callaway92 wrote: »
    Come on man - With all due respect, that caters to their target audience 100%. Leads to clicks, views and buys.

I see.

I have no idea what kind of person pays for this type of thing. I try and keep out of the youtuber, instagram, social media influencer type of nonsense as much as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Logan vs Danis is an emotional roller coaster. Legit want both men to get knocked out.

one could only hope of Ric Flair with a chair shot to both like.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement