Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,547 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Paddy the Hooligan is on the Helwani show tomorrow, I wonder what update he has. Also I hate it's not called the MMA hour anymore.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Probably just a catch-up, talk about tea and mention his own podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Any idea why only 6 months?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,118 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

derfderf wrote: »
    Any idea why only 6 months?

Good question. Could be because it is available legally/OTC.
    Or maybe the label didn't say ostarine but rather one of it's more chemical names.

Tom Lawlor is probably going to having something to say.

Axwell wrote: »
    Probably just a catch-up, talk about tea and mention his own podcast.

Paddy's section starts here. Just starting it now, figure he's there to mention his SF nomination.

Edit:
    Paddy's comments about John explains a lot. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭xtal191

Mellor wrote: »
    Paddy's section starts here. Just starting it now, figure he's there to mention his SF nomination.

Edit:
    Paddy's comments about John explains a lot. :eek:

What was said? Or what minute?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

xtal191 wrote: »

https://youtu.be/RitU5Js6iTk?t=9747

xtal191 wrote: »

Said that their relationship is non-existent since he retire. I imagine that's specifically since he left SBG Tallaght. He went on to say that there no beef, but he's doing his thing and John is doing his thing.

Which might explain why Paddy hadn't been promoted, I always found that weird.

• Advertisement

Good question. Could be because it is available legally/OTC.
    Or maybe the label didn't say ostarine but rather one of it's more chemical names.

Tom Lawlor is probably going to having something to say.

Every case was unintentional ingestion from what I can see online, e.g tainted supplements. People seem to be gaming the system with this excuse.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/4/23/18513260/sean-omalley-nicco-montano-two-others-suspended-six-months-by-usada-in-contaminated-supplement-cases

Tom's replied to a few people, seems he's been shafted to be fair.

To be fair, the tainted supplement excuse is actually plausible in the case of SARMs - which ostrine is.
    The phase tainted is misleading though. It's not a case of drugs ending up in their whey protein. It's a supplement sold legally containing ostrine, with it listed on the label as GTx-024, MK-2866, or S-22 - various research babes for the drug that don't appear on the wads list.

I'd genuinely be surprised if pro athletes are actually doping with SARMs given they are much less effective and easier to detect than steroids. But maybe some fighters are drawn to the favt they are cheap, and still legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

What was the background story with the Fallings out between kavanagh and sbg swords and kavanagh and sbg Tallaght?

John sounds like a fairly ruthless character I have to say.

Paddy left over a dispute with the investors, not with John. I believe they wanted him to get rid of a staff member. He valued loyalty over business. So he walked.

https://m.facebook.com/paddy.holohan.5/posts/1874736402551813

I had been hearing for several years that Paddy (and others) disapproved of Conor's escalating behaviour - hopping the cage at Bellator etc - and hoped that John would talk some sense into him. Conor cut out any teammates who tried to cop him on (eg Tom Egan) so it was felt that only John was senior enough to get through to Conor. And he refused.

I believe that's at least partly the reason for the falling out between Paddy and John.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I had been hearing for several years that Paddy (and others) disapproved of Conor's escalating behaviour - hopping the cage at Bellator etc - and hoped that John would talk some sense into him. Conor cut out any teammates who tried to cop him on (eg Tom Egan) so it was felt that only John was senior enough to get through to Conor. And he refused.

I believe that's at least partly the reason for the falling out between Paddy and John.

Jesus that is some load of ****e

Must have been a serious whiff of your manager favouring deals for Conor instead of you.

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1121257477411155972?s=19

Paddy's comments on the Ariel Helwani show contradict that story tbh.

On Conor:
    "I back Conor, 100%. I back Conor through anything because Conor has backed me through a lot of stuff."

On John:
    "There’s no beef, there’s no nothing, I’m just doing my life, and John’s doing his life."

• Advertisement

Paddy's comments on the Ariel Helwani show contradict that story tbh.
    No they don't.

I could pull up a dozen quotes from Paddy over the years that support the rumours. Usually thinly veiled comments about respect, behaviour, not being obsessed with money etc - not mentioning Conor specifically but very obvious who/what he is referring to.

And yeah, of course, you can find lots of quotes saying he supports Conor. People contradict themselves all the time, especially in flowing conversation. People also take stances that are not black & white, or find themselves in difficult positions. A lot of public figures in Irish MMA are reluctant to publicly criticise Conor because of the inevitable backlash - the feeling is that John is/was in the strongest position to do so.
    On John:
    "There’s no beef, there’s no nothing, I’m just doing my life, and John’s doing his life."

Regarding this quote, from same video above:

"Our relationship is non-existent since I retired, that wasn't my choice".
    "I don't know, you'd have to ask him Ariel"
    "Sometimes you can't make people be what you want them to be"

It's a highly bitter tone overall. Any reasonable person who watched the interview would agree. Plucking one quote to suggest otherwise is disingenuous. It's outweighed by the others.

O'Malley v Marlon Vera announced for 239

No they don't.

I could pull up a dozen quotes from Paddy over the years that support the rumours. Usually thinly veiled comments about respect, behaviour, not being obsessed with money etc - not mentioning Conor specifically but very obvious who/what he is referring to.
    The comment I quoted mentions Conor specifically. Maybe Paddy is lying, but his statement contradicts this so called rumour.
    I don't know what thinly veiled tweets you are talking about. But if Paddy posted vague grievance about money, respect and loyalty. I'd be more inclined to think he was talking about SBG Tallaght. Feel free to post them.
    And yeah, of course, you can find lots of quotes saying he supports Conor. People contradict themselves all the time, especially in flowing conversation. People also take stances that are not black & white, or find themselves in difficult positions. A lot of public figures in Irish MMA are reluctant to publicly criticise Conor because of the inevitable backlash - the feeling is that John is/was in the strongest position to do so.
    John was and still is. I don't disagree with that.
    It's the logical leap that followed that I was talking about.

It's a highly bitter tone overall. Any reasonable person who watched the interview would agree. Plucking one quote to suggest otherwise is disingenuous. It's outweighed by the others.
    Go back and read what I said. On the day of the interview. I was the one who brought up Paddy's comments about John. I even pointed out it explained a lot (for me).

I'm not suggesting that they haven't fallen out. I'm pointing out none of the quotes you posted back up the "reason" that you've put forward. In fact, Paddy saying it wasn't his choice, suggests he wasn't the one who walked away (over Conors behaviour).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

ASOT wrote: »
    O'Malley v Marlon Vera announced for 239

looking forward to see sugar sean fight again

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

This fight night on Sat, despite having Greg Hardy in the co-main, is a bit of a sleeper. Some good tussles on there. Not least Lineker v Sandhagen

Paulo Costa suspended 6 months by USADA for using an IV twice in 2017. His suspension was originally 2 years reduced to 6 months for providing substantial assistance to USADA.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/4/26/18518683/paulo-costa-suspended-six-months-by-usada-for-prohibited-iv-use

Tito's signed a fight contract with Combate America's.

ASOT wrote: »
    Paulo Costa suspended 6 months by USADA for using an IV twice in 2017. His suspension was originally 2 years reduced to 6 months for providing substantial assistance to USADA.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/4/26/18518683/paulo-costa-suspended-six-months-by-usada-for-prohibited-iv-use

He's good to fight now tho isn't he, 6 months started in August. This substantial evidence craic is dodgy, as is announcing it after the ban is up.

He's good to fight now tho isn't he, 6 months started in August. This substantial evidence craic is dodgy, as is announcing it after the ban is up.

Yeah he's good to go I want to see the Romero fight bad, hopefully it gets made. Yeah it's weird, tin foil hat on it's a way of USADA giving shorter sentances to people.... Tin foil hat off,. I'd imagine the tension in gyms after a statement like that would be mental.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

September 7th. Abu Dhabi. It's Khabib time.

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1122823538619101184?s=19

Khabib Vs Dustin, announcement in the next week or so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement