Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Chat Thread (PLEASE READ POST #1)

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

Dovies wrote: »
    Ah i love planning things - the 2 years to the wedding and honeymoon were just my thing! Off to Scotland later in the year so doing an 'itinerary' - that will keep me going!

Haha me too, I'm going to France in the morning and I have the whole trip planned

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I managed to get knocked up less than 2 months after my wedding. Wasn't exactly planned 100% but it was mad the amount of people who asked did we do it cos we wanted something to look forward to now the wedding was over was unreal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

I really felt the void that wedding planning took up. We had over 18 months of planning time. Think this made it worse as i was my normal. So i moved from wedding planning to holiday planning. In the past year not including the honeymoon we went to, London, Berlin, Dubai & Vietnam, Paris, Madrid and Devon.

Needless to say all the saving i had been doing for the wedding went to the travel budget. I've calmed down a bit now though so just normal hols next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Toots wrote: »
    I managed to get knocked up less than 2 months after my wedding. Wasn't exactly planned 100% but it was mad the amount of people who asked did we do it cos we wanted something to look forward to now the wedding was over was unreal!

Oh no way - some people! Congrats though :D

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Dovies wrote: »
    Oh no way - some people! Congrats though :D

:pac: thanks! He's 5 now, just started school :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Two of my friends got engaged within a few weeks of each other, and I have happily become their unofficial wedding coordinator. One asked me to be a bridesmaid yesterday :). I was taken aback by how touched I felt! I really didn't expect it, and I teared up a little :o.

There was no void in my life after our wedding, because I started a new job a few weeks later, then was completely consumed with an application for something for a few months, so i very happily avoided that feeling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Addle wrote: »

I don't see how having a ring would stop you showing someone up! Wouldn't being newly engaged get you MORE attention?

But I can see why for extended family and distant friend's that you may have a harsher plus one policy.

In this case it's probably just the tabloids being tabloids and making stuff up!

She wasn't worried about showing up her sister!
    I imagine the paparazzi are a pain in her lovely arse-but I do hope we get a good look at her wedding style.

She wasn't worried about showing up her sister!
    I imagine the paparazzi are a pain in her lovely arse-but I do hope we get a good look at her wedding style.

I honestly don't believe she intended to get the attention she received at the royal wedding, I think perhaps the UK media feel uncomfortable perving on their future queen so decided to focus on her sister instead, just my theory!

George and Charlotte will steal the show anyway, no doubt about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

TBH it sounds like a load of nonsense BUT for those of us mere mortals, trying to figure out who gets "+1's" can be a bit of a chore. Where do you draw the line?

TBH it sounds like a load of nonsense BUT for those of us mere mortals, trying to figure out who gets "+1's" can be a bit of a chore. Where do you draw the line?

My sister asked for a plus one, my wedding is in less then 6 months and she's not even dating anyone at the moment! To be honest I'd say yes if she wasn't part of the Bridal party and therfore too busy to look after her random guest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

The way I'm looking at it if it's someone I know kind of "independently" of other guests- you know, where they won't know many people, then I'll give them a +1. Otherwise tbh if I don't know their partner well enough to invite them independently, and by name, they're not getting one.

I know some people who've used that rule as a criteria for +1's (although it wasn't phrased quite like that) but in one particular wedding it caused a bit of upset - one of the hubby's cousins was allowed bring his fiance who he'd proposed to after the grand total of 4 months together, but one of the other cousins was with her partner for over 10 years and they had 3 kids together; he wasn't invited just because she didn't have a 'ring'. I think it's an ok benchmark for deciding who gets a +1, if the criteria was adjusted to "no ring/longtermrelationship no bring" :pac:

http://m.independent.ie/style/fashion/style-talk/pippa-middleton-wants-guests-to-change-into-second-outfit-at-wedding-here-are-7-questions-we-have-35700259.html
    This is probably all bs, but I can't help myself!
    It's hard enough organise 1 outfit sometimes, I'd never manage 2!

Saw this Quiz on Buzzfeed https://www.buzzfeed.com/sarahaspler/can-you-plan-your-wedding-without-going-over-budget?utm_term=.mc42qZ4oV#.hazvgRq1l

I have attempted it 4 times and still not managed to get it under budget! What am I doing wrong?? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Toots wrote: »
    Saw this Quiz on Buzzfeed https://www.buzzfeed.com/sarahaspler/can-you-plan-your-wedding-without-going-over-budget?utm_term=.mc42qZ4oV#.hazvgRq1l

I have attempted it 4 times and still not managed to get it under budget! What am I doing wrong?? :pac:
    I just tried it there now (FWIW, I'm not engaged :P), I came in at $26,960.99 on my second attempt, first attempt was around $33,000 :eek::o

I got $54000 , omg :o

I'm not much over my real life budget though, maybe 5%, I was proud of myself :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭scarepanda

First attempt, $25,349.50!

Irl I'm over the budget estimation, but slowly reducing the cost as we book things because I over estimated on most things. But still not massively over budget on a small budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

27,000$ roughly, not bad!

I actually have a list in my phone of all the purchases and bits I spent on the wedding (3 weeks ago) and I need to go in and add it up but I haven't had the courage yet :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

That quiz is bullshiz - I was able to pick a dress I likes but for most of the questions I wanted a "none of the above option".

My budget in real life isnt going too badly. A good few friends have gotten married already so I was able to gauge realistic costs from them so was able to budget accordingly. Also I think I was slightly suffering from wedding fatigue (still am a bit if I'm honest) so I was able to simplify things based on my experience attending other weddings - focusing the money in areas that I felt as a guest mattered, and just cut things that I didnt feel were important even though I'm sure some people will pass comment! For example, I've decided not to have a traditional wedding cake. I want to do the whole "cheese cake" thing instead, mainly because I love cheese myself (so does himself) and every time I bring it out when we have people over for drinks etc, it always gets devoured, so I think it will be appreciated - I've been to so many weddings where the cake has barely been touched, plus theres already a desert after the meal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

I got $27,559.95. Not too bad! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

I got around $27,000. I think it is an unrealistic test anyway considering all the rings were from Tiffany's :D

That quiz is bullshiz - I was able to pick a dress I likes but for most of the questions I wanted a "none of the above option".

Same!! Actually, while I liked the dress, the dress wouldn't have liked me :pac: And those champagnes! Feck sake! It's so american, it'd be prosecco or else pimms that I'd want (I don't drink)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,145 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Heard a great one yesterday. My neighbours daughter got married. After the DJ was finished, those who were still up were brought into a smaller room, and they had a silent disco. Went on till 6am. They had the run of the place the day after too, so didn't mind the lateness of the event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

On one hand I feel sorry for her that this has completely backfired on her but on the other hand I don't.

She was always going to pay that price so I don't see how she's losing money unless she was accounting for gifts from the people who can't attend.

I feel sorry for her fiancé and their families.
    She does not come out of it well.

Anyone due to go to a wedding over the next couple of days?
    All the planning, but you couldn't plan for this weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 SheepGoHere

Tis shnowy out ha. Bit of a balls for people, who could have predicted a snow storm in March.

Poor Prince Harry is having a bit of bother with his future in laws!
    How would that thread go?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭lunamoon

Has anyone the link to the epic thread where there was an absolutely mental bridezilla? It's a huge thread, I just can't find it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

lunamoon wrote: »
    Has anyone the link to the epic thread where there was an absolutely mental bridezilla? It's a huge thread, I just can't find it!

This what you're looking for?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057355848

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

lunamoon wrote: »

You're going to have to narrow that down - there's been a few!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭lunamoon

woodchuck wrote: »

That's the one. Brilliant, thank you!

• Advertisement

Did anyone see yesterday's royal wedding?
    I was at work, so only saw photos and a few clips.
    I loved Eugenie's dress. Much better than Megan's I thought.
    Also, there seemed to he genuine emotion which was missing from the last royal wedding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I loooooved her dress, it was beautiful. And that tiara - my god it was fabulous. Also watching them try to pile her dress into the car afterwards was hilarious.

I didn't like the dress at all, not to my taste.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I really liked her dress. I much preferred it to Meghan's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Loved the dress. And glad she suited herself and didn't have a veil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

She looked beautiful. The back of the dress was fabulous. Thought the sleeves were a bit too loose but she really did look great. I thought her sister’s dress was awful. It reminded me of something an older, very traditional mother of the bride would wear. Not a 30 year old!

cant26 wrote: »
    I thought her sister’s dress was awful. It reminded me of something an older, very traditional mother of the bride would wear. Not a 30 year old!
    I liked her head piece.
    Her outfit wasn't unlike Kate Middleton's in style, but the latter carried the look off so much better.

I loved all the bird cage fascinators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I just have to express somewhere how much I loved Miley Cyrus' Vivienne Westwood wedding dress!
    https://www.brides.com/story/miley-cyruss-stunning-vivienne-westwood-wedding-dress-wedding

• Registered Users Posts: 24 UnBridled

I thought Beatrice looked beautiful. Her dress wasn't my style but was lovely all the same. I loved Eugenie's. That old vintage look is gorgeous. I was having a look at celebrity weddings over the weekend and came across Gwyneth Paltrow's wedding. Her dress was amazing and very close to what I'll be looking for. *Here's a pic :)

*Or not! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Hi, not sure where to post this.

Does anyone know if you change your name when you get married, do you have to apply for a totally new passport (i.e: pay the 75 euro and get new pictures etc for a whole new document) or can you just request an amended passport for a lesser fee?

I've tried to look this up online and been caught in a cycle of being re-directed to about 100 different websites on citizens information!

It’s 10 years since I got married but I know at that time if you wanted your married name then you had to order a new passport for full price.

Advertisement