Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread (PLEASE READ POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

To be honest if you are a good enough friend to be asked to do a reading then you are a good enough friend to bring your OH, I actually on principle wouldn't go to the wedding unless your OH is asked to the full event...not a the afters. There will be partners there that the bride won't know from Adam...your OH is special to you and so should be invited, esp as you are finally in a position to not go alone !

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Milly33 wrote: »
    let the bride and groom do what they want it is their day...

Being a bride and groom is no excuse for bitchy comments like:"I know you've been single for like ages and you should be well used to it by now"

By all means, have the day that you want, be firm and stand your ground if someone is being pushy about some details of your day. But deciding your guest list based on how serious in your opinion someone else's relationship is, will rock a friendship.

Addle sounds to me like someone who if a good friend explained that their numbers were so tight she would fully understand and happily go along alone. (and I suspect she was targeted to trim the +1 because she was the least likely to get the hump about it.) No need to imply she's the group spinster when she's been with her OH as long as the bride has been with her bloke. The comment was uncalled for and mean.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Yeah if they'd only been together a couple of months then fair enough, but she's been with her OH longer than the bride has.

TBH I'd be less upset at the fact that the partner isn't invited but more annoyed at her reasoning behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

What she said had made me feel like sh!t.
    I feel like there's a lack of respect there.
    Will see her over the weekend and will bring it up.
    I'm not a drama queen but I feel that it will really fester if I don't say something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

Addle wrote: »
    What she said had made me feel like sh!t.
    I feel like there's a lack of respect there.
    Will see her over the weekend and will bring it up.
    I'm not a drama queen but I feel that it will really fester if I don't say something.

My fingers are crossed that she was just winding you up and she was always going to invite your new partner. Either way good luck!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

My fingers are crossed that she was just winding you up and she was always going to invite your new partner. Either way good luck!!!

Me too!

Maybe she's just so caught up on her own importance right now that she's lost all perspective - I hope that when you point this out to her, she'll instantly realize the error of her ways and make things right. If she's any sort of a friend to you, then this is a no brainer.

If you just explain yourself calmly and clearly, articulate how her stance has made you feel, and give her the opportunity to make a better decision.

Stand up for yourself OP! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Guybrush Threepwood

Hope you were able to say something to her this weekend Addle!

Happy to say that as of this week we've the venue and church booked! Bring on March 2018!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2630932-Post-wedding-message-please-help-me-what-the-hell-do-I-say

Came across this on mumsnet. Quick summary; the OP received an email (after attending the wedding, and giving a gift), telling her that the happy couple had expected more than what she had given. :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I really hope that's made up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,045 ✭✭✭✭neris

LynnGrace wrote: »
    http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2630932-Post-wedding-message-please-help-me-what-the-hell-do-I-say

Came across this on mumsnet. Quick summary; the OP received an email (after attending the wedding, and giving a gift), telling her that the happy couple had expected more than what she had given. :pac:
    your contribution

what the fcuk does this mean in the context of a wedding??
    if you wanted to send any adjustment it would be thankfully received"

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Jaysis. Neck like a jockeys b*llocks.

That can't be true, that's so ugly

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Just joined a new gym. I've got 2 stone to lose and 13 months to the wedding. Seems easy but I really love my food haha.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

You can do it!! I've been battling with my weight for years. I'm absolutely certain I'd be a size 10 if carbs weren't so delicious and comforting!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

Im another one using the wedding as a jumping on the fitness wagon, we got a friend of mine to take some pics for us the other day and dear lord some of them made me look huge.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emmagination

I have just over 4 months to go until the wedding, and am still hoping I'll manage to shift some weight! Funnily enough I lost a fair bit of weight before we got engaged. Once the engagement happened I fell off the healthy eating bandwagon!

I got myself a FitBit and have had great success with it so far, it's great for getting motivated. My SIL has one too, and you can do competitions against your friends etc. Walked over 60km last week :pac:

Toots wrote: »
    I got myself a FitBit and have had great success with it so far, it's great for getting motivated. My SIL has one too, and you can do competitions against your friends etc. Walked over 60km last week :pac:

I bought one a few weeks ago just have to remember to wear the blooming things, wont do me much good sitting on top of the fridge

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I bought one a few weeks ago just have to remember to wear the blooming things, wont do me much good sitting on top of the fridge

You or the Fitbit? :pac:

We could form a boardsie group on it if anyone wants

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    You or the Fitbit? :pac:

Both lol:pac:

I'd sit on my fridge, but it's built in! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Oh we're using fitbits too in the run up, 3 months to go!

I'd be super fine if it weren't for all the feeders in work..... Or my lack of willpower :p

Clocked up a 5k walk in the sun today. Saw four planes fly over during my walk. Using the honeymoon as motivation to shift this weight as that will be the next time I'll be on a plane haha.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I need a LOT of Motivation :D between holidays, weddings, big birthdays and weekends away, I'm feeling hopeless! I've lost 12 lbs since January but need to shed a lot more! I'd be happy with two stone as I don't want to be unrealistic! Must check out a Fitbit actually!

I've two stone to lose myself over the next year, finding it very difficult. Any tips from other BTB?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Exercise is great of course, but diet is critical. The stuff you see athletes eating basically - lean proteins and lots of veg. Too much fruit can also have quite a bit of sugars in them, best to also eat fruit whole rather than smoothies or juices... my 2c, though I'm no nutritionist.
    Weight resistance training is great. If you've gym membership it usually includes a free fitness assessment and a work-out plan. It should help give you a complete routine you can work off, including cardio, weights, etc...

I've two stone to lose myself over the next year, finding it very difficult. Any tips from other BTB?

Hopefully GTB ;) are allowed to post aswell.

I've joined a new gym that's opening in my area. My diet isnt the worse on the exception of the odd spurge on the weekends, so I'm hoping some intense exercise will cancel that out and then some.

Losing weight historically hasn't been an issue for me, keeping it off however.... at least I have a goal/purpose this time to keep me in check.

Loughc wrote: »
    Hopefully GTB ;) are allowed to post aswell.

I've joined a new gym that's opening in my area. My diet isnt the worse on the exception of the odd spurge on the weekends, so I'm hoping some intense exercise will cancel that out and then some.

Losing weight historically hasn't been an issue for me, keeping it off however.... at least I have a goal/purpose this time to keep me in check.

Of course! How rude of me!!

I think step 1 for me will be quit weekend drinking, hangovers are ruining my activity!

A good routine should help too!

• Advertisement

Honestly what's worked best for me has been cutting right back on carbs. I don't mean atkins or anything but my diet previously would have been very carb heavy. I'm skint at the moment so rice and pasta etc were cheap ways of bulking out a dinner, but I use more veg now and it's working well.

Advertisement