Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread (PLEASE READ POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

January wrote: »
    My three year old refused to turn around in any of our wedding photos. She is turned away in every single one of them.

Ooh you'll get great mileage slagging her about that when she's older! One of my sisters threw a wobbler on her communion day and decided that she hated her dress (she'd picked it herself, BTW) and in every single photo of her on the day she has a face like thunder! My mum eventually convinced her to put the dress back on a few weeks later so that she could take a few pics where she was actually smiling. We get a great laugh slagging her about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

Sorted. My niece is going to wear hers too. Its short and simple so it'll be grand, and the other girl won't stick out so much whatever hers is like..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

LynnGrace wrote: »
    Aww :), that is so sweet stinkle!
    I love the sheer innocence of something like that. (Don't ruin it now by telling me she was a teenager at the time) :D

Some kids then go through a phase of not wanting to be in photos, regardless of the occasion.
    Bahaha she was 8 when she was at her worst. Some of those photos turned up recently, it's like she invented the photobomb! sis was trying to explain that she thought everyone got all dressed up and didnt see why she shouldnt join in and get pics taken!

Just remembered that I was so jealous when my older cousins and local kids made their communion (I was 3) and got to dress up that I sat wearing net curtains on my head for the day. Mam likes to remind me that Id been playing in the garden prior to that so was covered in muck as well and looked especially ridiculous. Brides beware if you have any mad kids in the family :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Ha! Bridesmaid-gate or specific-gift-gate is mild in comparison to this! :eek:

In summary, guest tells Bridezilla they can't attend wedding on Saturday as their mum just died (on Monday) and Bridezilla posted a rant about it on facebook saying she still expected said guest to attend and if not, pay for their meal/reception drinks. Then guest's aunt saw the bridezilla rant and then proceeded to inform the bride by posting on bridezilla's facebook page that her fiancé was more than a little inappropriate with the stripper on his stag party.

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2316632-to-laugh-at-this-second-hand-wedding-drama

I can't believe people like this exist and have people telling them that they are reasonable!

Oh and here's another gem! OP has had a crap year and just last week got hit by a van. She's now out of work while she recovers and needs Physio / surgery. Told her bridezilla friend she could no longer afford to attend her wedding abroad (pay for flights and accommodation and also guests expected to make a contribution towards the wedding cost itself!) and bridezilla went nuts saying the OP was attention seeking and causing her problems and could she not just suck it up and do this one favour for her !!

Unbelievable.

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2317026-just-told-my-friend-to-f-off

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Ooh I've added those to my watch list. I've a medical appointment later so those will keep me entertained in the waiting room!

I love mumsnet purely for the fact that they can swear on it. I've even gotten used to the acronyms and barely mind them anymore.

Neyite - it's hilarious! There are some real gems on it. They love a good parking issues thread over there :pac: The acronyms are crazy, there's a parking thread on there and in it there's NAR, FONAR, NDR (neighbour across road, friend of neighbour across road, next door neighbour). Tis nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Dear lord what a I cant think of a word bint maybe.. It is like one of those American bridal shows. I stick them on mostly to laugh at them, Bridezilla that's it, jes there was one women there who just like thought everything including god and the world revolved around her and no one told her it didn't..She even threw out her sisters school books because she said she wanted to study..

I hate those acronym haha I still get confused with MUA..I had to google that one and still I have to wait for the brian to click in before I get it...

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Neyite - it's hilarious! There are some real gems on it. They love a good parking issues thread over there :pac: The acronyms are crazy, there's a parking thread on there and in it there's NAR, FONAR, NDR (neighbour across road, friend of neighbour across road, next door neighbour). Tis nuts!

That was an excellent thread. Go NAR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Yes, I enjoyed that parking one with NAR, FONAR etc.
    I saw one of the wedding ones yesterday, but have to read them yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Esterhase

I love the sheer up-herself-ness of the 'zilla in the strippergate thread with the bereaved guest! How anyone can be so callous towards a grieving person is beyond me. And everyone on FB pandering to her nonsense is just as bad! Very sad to see other mumsnet posters with similar stories.

As an aside, surely breakfast favours can't be a thing now can they...? Is a wedding breakfast a big deal in the states?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Wedding breakfast is the name given by Brits to the main wedding meal, Mumsnet HQ is in Kentish Town, just down the road from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ah really that is an odd one..I always thought they meant breakfeast or like early lunch

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Confused the crap out of me too when we looked at some wedding venues on this side!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I think this site was mentioned in one of those mumsnet threads, but if you haven't seen it, it's gold! Stumbled across it when I googled wedding etiquette while planning my own wedding. Hours of entertainment!

http://www.etiquettehell.com/content/eh_wedding/weddingsfhell/weddingfromhell.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

Oh and here's another gem! OP has had a crap year and just last week got hit by a van. She's now out of work while she recovers and needs Physio / surgery. Told her bridezilla friend she could no longer afford to attend her wedding abroad (pay for flights and accommodation and also guests expected to make a contribution towards the wedding cost itself!) and bridezilla went nuts saying the OP was attention seeking and causing her problems and could she not just suck it up and do this one favour for her !!

Unbelievable.

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2317026-just-told-my-friend-to-f-off

An update on that thread:
    ....friend called round at my house this morning as DH was getting ready for work and asked DH if he knew what had happened (he had because I texted him about it) and apparently she then asked him if he could work more hours so we could still sub their wedding costs as a lot of the other guests were a bit put out at having to sub the couple more money and some of them had already payed.
    DH said sorry but no he couldn't work anymore.
    :eek:

Regarding the wedding breakfast: I believe the BZ (Bridezilla, in mumsnet-speak) is having a wedding breakfast on the morning of the big day, before the ceremony. One poster has clarified this.

There are a lot of wedding posts on there lately. More than one of them refer to guests contributing to the cost of a destination wedding. Can anyone clarify how this actually works, normally? Do the guests get a cheaper rate because they are a group? Do the hosts, (B&G) subsidize the guests costs? Or, are the guests, actually covering the costs of the whole thing?

I wonder is that MN ^^ thread for real. The OP seems to drop back in every so often with another juicy titbit guaranteed to get more outrage going.:pac:

Toots wrote: »
    I think this site was mentioned in one of those mumsnet threads, but if you haven't seen it, it's gold! Stumbled across it when I googled wedding etiquette while planning my own wedding. Hours of entertainment!

http://www.etiquettehell.com/content/eh_wedding/weddingsfhell/weddingfromhell.shtml

Oh dear, this will keep me occupied for the evening :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Unbelievable.

Hahahahaha. I read one reply which suggested giving the bride some Canasten as she was an irritating cnut. I laughed so bad, I spat my cranberry juice out!!! :D Those women are bat**** crazy!!

Hahahahaha. I read one reply which suggested giving the bride some Canasten as she was an irritating cnut. I laughed so bad, I spat my cranberry juice out!!! :D Those women are bat**** crazy!!

ahahahahahahha!!!! ROFLMFAO!!!! :D I actually can't stop laughing at that canestan comment.

God I'm loving Mumsnet. I'd never gone on there until I read about the whole AIBU thing on here and then Toots losing the plot / threatening to ban people over people using that acronym!! :pac: :D The whole AIBU forum is just epic, and the responses are just too much! I think like Neyite says, the fact that they can use swear words just adds to the outrage they feel :pac:

Liz limoncello- thanks for that! I hadn't seen that update. Unbelievable! I thank whoever invented all bridezillas as it provides so much entertainment for us bystanders (different story though if you're on the receiving end of it ha ha!!)

Toots - that etiquette hell page is just INSANE!!! Love it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Book...
    ...Marked!

I loved the canesten insult :D

I have mumsnet to thank for my new favourite insult:

Cüntwhore! When calling someone a regular old whore just doesn't cut it!

Oh, and the one where the colleague trashed her desk because the 200 year old church she had her heart set on refused to take down a 200 year old tapestry because it didn't match her colour scheme. :D

I wonder though, do those Zillas ever look back in years to come and realise how badly they behaved?

I quite like twunt too.

That wedding thread I doubted was real, has been deleted on Mumsnet :P.

Neyite wrote: »
    I wonder though, do those Zillas ever look back in years to come and realise how badly they behaved?

I wonder do they, or I bet they're the sort who won't tolerate anyone else discussing their own wedding plans, and calls them a bridezilla for having the cheek to be looking forward to their own wedding!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I seriously doubt ANY of the 'gold' threads are real. But boy, are they entertaining!! :)

Mind you - Having worked in the wedding industry, you do get some real pieces of work. Brides as well as Mums!!

LynnGrace wrote: »
    That wedding thread I doubted was real, has been deleted on Mumsnet :P.

No way!! What happened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

No way!! What happened?

Toots, if you click on the link, you get this:

Thread deleted

Message from MNHQ: Thread just seemed too button pushy to be true, didn't it?
    I wonder what the final straw was?

Advertisement