Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Normal People, is it realistic?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Does Longford even exist? They must be the Belgians of Ireland, can you think of any famous Longfordians without consulting Wikipedia?

(Wrong thread. :oP )

• Registered Users Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I felt there were several flaws.

The girl who wrote it is the editor of the stinging fly. I could be prejudiced against her ..as i didnt like it of late ..its gotten very conventional.

Maybe I will try to read the book. I am not sure it would be for me though.
    It is not some flawless masterpiece of literature in my opinion. But I found it hugely involving and relatable and pretty much devoured the book in a very short time frame. It might just not be your thing, sure there is nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

hynesie08 wrote: »
    He's popular because he plays GAA, again it's the lazy storytelling trope that's existed since media. He'd be a nobody if he couldn't kick a ball.
    I'd have to read the book. But from the T.V programme he lacks the charm and ...certain emotional intelligence of the 'popular guy' at school ..

They were never the cruel ones. It was always their mates.

The popular guys were the ones who could talk and relate to anyone. They might be the most dare devil ish and the most sporty. But that alone wouldn't make you popular. He had to at least be witty ...and be savvy.

If he was awkward ..he would be bullied.

Im not sure he would have fancied her in real life either. Also he would have had so much more choice ....not sure he would have fallen so hard.

gmisk wrote: »
    It is not some flawless masterpiece of literature in my opinion. But I found it hugely involving and relatable and pretty much devoured the book in a very short time frame. It might just not be your thing, sure there is nothing wrong with that.
    Sure its great there is an Irish writer getting anything on TV at all TBH.

I am probably being really harsh on it.

Its probably great ..she is editor of the stinging fly. What do i know?

Im just jealous because i couldn't write something that good! :P

Sure its great there is an Irish writer getting anything on TV at all TBH.

I am probably being really harsh on it.

Its probably great ..she is editor of the stinging fly. What do i know?
    That's true and plenty of Irish talent involved in it behind the scenes and on screen as well.

You know more than me, I have never even heard of the stinging fly....it sounds like a nickname for an STD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭NSAman

I think the actress is.

The guy ...it was a bit awkward.

Some of the lines are a bit cringey...

COnnal ... 'Her new boyfriend is more in line with her social class' etc...i giggled.

Oh come on,,,, that is most of the conversations had at that age....

were you never in the canteen in University with your mates, while the ‘intellectuals” were trying to out-do each other all the time your mates and yourself were eye-rolling at the utter stupidity of the pretension?

I know us as a gang of lads lived beside the 4 nuns (the nickname)... very prim and proper and we of course were not. While I do not want to go into details (to protect the guilty) there was little of the pranks and actual ‘stupidity’ that people get up to in university.. it seems much less fun than when I went (mind you they seemed to have a LOT more sex than we did)

That's true and plenty of Irish talent involved in it behind the scenes and on screen as well.

You know more than me, I have never even heard of the stinging fly....it sounds like a nickname for an STD.

Oh sorry its an Irish literary magazine ..i think i submitted a story to it ..a while ago ..it didn't get printed of course. Or maybe i didn't submit it and i am remembering that wrong. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

NSAman wrote: »
    For someone so intelligent, that was my thought too.... he must have been held back.;)

Not necessarily. If he started school at 5 and did transition year, he'd easily be 19 doing the Leaving Cert.

Tork wrote: »
    Not necessarily. If he started school at 5 and did transition year, he'd easily be 19 doing the Leaving Cert.
    Relax lad, It was purely a brief comment...the first thought on watching episode 1;)

Oh sorry its an Irish literary magazine ..i think i submitted a story to it ..a while ago ..it didn't get printed of course. Or maybe i didn't submit it and i am remembering that wrong. :pac:
    Hmm interesting... you might relate to the Connell character more as it goes along...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

Ah, see I've already been on the thread in the Television forum and there are people going on about the actors' ages. One person thought it was borderline paedophilia because they thought the actress's body looked like that of a developing girl. Another thought the actor looked about 30 and more like the age where he could be dating his mother...

Oh come on,,,, that is most of the conversations had at that age....

were you never in the canteen in University with your mates, while the ‘intellectuals” were trying to out-do each other all the time your mates and yourself were eye-rolling at the utter stupidity of the pretension?

No.
    I know us as a gang of lads lived beside the 4 nuns (the nickname)... very prim and proper and we of course were not. While I do not want to go into details (to protect the guilty) there was little of the pranks and actual ‘stupidity’ that people get up to in university.. it seems much less fun than when I went (mind you they seemed to have a LOT more sex than we did)

How do i put this??? Chats about BDSM experimentation were routine. Actual BDSM experimentation was routine. I joined a pagan society and was nude (skyclad ) regularly out in the west meath mountains along with others.

I slept with an actual priest. He was french.Well studying to be a priest.

I only tried drugs twice though. A fellow pagan mate who was much more acclimatized to them rolled me a joint. It blew my head off. It also made my pee smell. So i decided to try it a few more times.

That's just the beginning.

Tork wrote: »
    Another thought the actor looked about 30 and more like the age where he could be dating his mother...

I thought that too! :o I feel bad now ..he's only 24.

The girl is in her twenties.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rdwight

dd973 wrote: »
    Does Longford even exist? They must be the Belgians of Ireland, can you think of any famous Longfordians without consulting Wikipedia?

Please link to thread. Sounds more interesting than this one

No.

How do i put this??? Chats about BDSM experimentation were routine. Actual BDSM experimentation was routine. I joined a pagan society and was nude (skyclad ) regularly out in the west meath mountains along with others.

I slept with an actual priest. He was french.Well studying to be a priest.

I only tried drugs twice though. A fellow pagan mate who was much more acclimatized to them rolled me a joint. It blew my head off. It also made my pee smell. So i decided to try it a few more times.

That's just the beginning.

So you went to Maynooth,,,;)

I felt there were several flaws.

The girl who wrote it is the editor of the stinging fly. I could be prejudiced against her ..as i didnt like it of late ..its gotten very conventional.

Maybe I will try to read the book. I am not sure it would be for me though.

No longer (since 2018) the editor.

Hmm interesting... you might relate to the Connell character more as it goes along...
    I would say so....but then no

I am awkward. But wasn't popular in secondary. I was like Daisy ....unpopular in secondary popular in Uni. Although we didn't have a cleaner!

And i didn't go for awkward guys. I went for suave and usually foreign! ;)

rdwight wrote: »
    No longer (since 2018) the editor.

Oh ...pardon my mistake. I am sure she was very good.

I wonder who it is now. Or i wondered so i checked

Its Danny Denton.

I wonder what the target audience thought. I mean real 17 yr olds.

You might get in trouble with some of the literati if you suggest Rooney belongs in the Young Adult section. Or are you sliding the stiletto in?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

So you went to Maynooth,,,;)

LOL. Connell would have been sooo much happier there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Could a girl that beautiful really be unpopular in school?

rdwight wrote: »
    You might get in trouble some of the literati if you suggest Rooney belongs in the Young Adult section. Or are you sliding the stiletto in?
    ooops no. She is literary of course!

That's the section i want to get into ....only i write in swearing too much prolly! I am a huge fan of pulp fiction!

Could a girl that beautiful really be unpopular in school?
    Not in a mixed school no. She would definitely be having more fun in a mixed school. And none of the lads would be slagging her.

In an all girls school ..yes. She could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

dd973 wrote: »

Albert Reynolds was from Longford I think, but then he isn't very realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭circadian

Not in a mixed school no. She would definitely be having more fun in a mixed school. And none of the lads would be slagging her.

In an all girls school ..yes. She could be.

Not necessarily true. One of my exes from A-level years was stunningly attractive but had a hard time at a mixed school because some of the girls didn't like her.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

conall being popular is entirely believable, in secondary school the best footballers were almost automatically popular, hes not a legend hes just one of the lads from what i can see, even in university the best sigerson players had some social status.

Teenagers being awkward is hardly that rare...

circadian wrote: »
    Not necessarily true. One of my exes from A-level years was stunningly attractive but had a hard time at a mixed school because some of the girls didn't like her.
    This can happen. But usually her new BF would sort them out for her!

That can happen though.

If he was really popular he would have a stalker girl ..or an ex stalker GF. Every popular guy at my school had one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

The ignorance in this thread is astonishing. Ya'll need to go read the book or go find something else to moan about.

• Advertisement

The ignorance in this thread is astonishing. Ya'll need to go read the book or go find something else to moan about.
    I sorry! I didn't start the thread!

Advertisement