Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Normal People, is it realistic?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

The ignorance in this thread is astonishing. Ya'll need to go read the book or go find something else to moan about.

I started the book two nights ago to see if was any better. First few pages seem like they were written by Alexa!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I only watched the first two eps. Snooze fest.
    The school chats and comments seemed realistic enough. Your man the best friend who was sitting in the back of the car while they all waited for a takeaway was a great actor. "i'd say she makes you her butler does she yeah yeah".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    I started the book two nights ago to see if was any better. First few pages seem like they were written by Alexa!
    I'm going to start it now. Actually no i have an assignment to do....so ..i better do that!

Last thing ...Barack Obama loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Its one of the best shows Ive seen in years. For anybody who is saying Connell is wooden or soulless, its fairly clear you haven't watched until the end and seen the entire character development. The guy is an incredible actor.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I only watched the first two eps. Snooze fest.
    The school chats and comments seemed realistic enough. Your man the best friend who was sitting in the back of the car while they all waited for a takeaway was a great actor. "i'd say she makes you her butler does she yeah yeah".

You should really stick with it. The show really develops in a very subtle way and its well worth it. Some powerful acting all round and a lot more drama from about halfway through.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Could a girl that beautiful really be unpopular in school?

Yes - she was aloof, snappy, intellectual. She had an opinion of herself an certainly wasn't a crowd pleaser or trying to fit in with anyone and didn't suffer fools. This would paint a target on her back regardless of her looks.

• Advertisement

Yes - she was aloof, snappy, intellectual. She had an opinion of herself an certainly wasn't a crowd pleaser or trying to fit in with anyone and didn't suffer fools. This would paint a target on her back regardless of her looks.
    Reminds me of me ....only without the intellectual bit! :pac:

Im nice in real life tho!

OMG yeah i get it now! THANKS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

I haven't seen it. Man, i am trying to get through Hyperion, then I am going to start on the rest of the Dune series. I don't have time for normal people. Who's got time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

More and more ppl have realized how cynical this show is.

Mass market cliched tripe with “sex scenes” to get publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It should be called, Needy People.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭wurzlitzer

Who are these people? It’s not cynical at all however I agree it plods along to slowly if you can’t relate to it. it deals with so many issues. I am not one for reading what’s hot or watching what’s hot. But this was so beautifully shot and the acting brought me back in time. I never noticed the sex scenes I never looked away or cringe or boil the kettle. The intimacy between the two protagonists was immense you never noticed the sex and it’s at 10.15 at night

I am just so glad the show touched so many aspects bullying depression anxiety consent suicide pretentiousness and how money corrupts

Believe the hype
    And what’s the definition of cynical?

RobertKK wrote: »
    It should be called, Needy People.

Did you watch it? Why do you think it should be called this. What’s wrong with being needy? Everyone has needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,248 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

And your basing that on what?
    The tv show follows the book.
    Seems to me it's been a massive hit with the public as well as critics, it also seems to have taken off in the US which is pretty cool for something set in Ireland with so much Irish involvement.

Yep it’s mass market bilge. Thanks for making my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

gmisk wrote: »
    And your basing that on what?
    The tv show follows the book.
    Seems to me it's been a massive hit with the public as well as critics, it also seems to have taken off in the US which is pretty cool for something set in Ireland with so much Irish involvement.

It is great its doing well in the states.

4 episodes in, and I'm not getting it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    there is more to conal than meets the eye , he is however quite cowardly , apart from being afraid to show any sort of difference from his friends , he is afraid to be seen with mariane as she is viewed as odd amongst said friends

being different in anyway is frowned upon in secondary schools , especially in rural parts of the country

And some people say it’s better to raise children in the country, grand if your kid is “normal”, but forget about being different in any way. Marianne isn’t even someone that stands out as being odd and she is still targeted.

The one crib I have about this book/tv show is the fact that she keeps letting him back in, even after he has acted like a total arsehole. I don’t understand why she entertains him at Trinity after the stunt he pulls in school.

Yep it’s mass market bilge. Thanks for making my point.

So if something becomes a hit it is suddenly mass market bilge....
    Clearly it has connected on a deep level with a lot of people.
    Don't watch it (I doubt you have watched it all anyway) simple as, maybe stick to sci-fi or whatever non "mass market bilge" stuff you are into.

Maybe it isnt for you.
    I think it improves as it goes like the book as you get a better understanding of the characters.
    Bar tbh episode 9 which I thought was poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

The ignorance in this thread is astonishing. Ya'll need to go read the book or go find something else to moan about.

Right so mein fuhrer, what subjects are we allowed to discuss?

There’s nothing to get. Abramson decided to go shallow as f... on this one and get mass market viewing numbers boosted by the “sex scenes”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Jesus did someone just go all "Dr. Phil" on us in this thread???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

gmisk wrote: »
    Maybe it isnt for you.
    I think it improves as it goes like the book as you get a better understanding of the characters.
    Bar tbh episode 9 which I thought was poor.

Yeah I guess having read the books also helps as you can flesh out the characters, which seem pretty standard so far in the show - posh rich quirky girl, the pretty popular girl, nice jock, the mean jock etc.

Maybe it was the hype, or its cos I was expecting something else but just not grabbing me.

Very good to see an Irish show do well though.

its a love story and coming of age that is much closer to real live than what we see on TV

yes class, rural vs urban, bullying, narrow mindednesss but a lot of people experienced that transitioning from the country to Dublin that is why it is so relatable and no it’s not the same as going to Cork Waterford or Galway there is not as many prententious people in those cities compared to Dublin. Dublin you scrape by the other cities you manage to survive and have a comfortable life as a student. Dublin is a cold place if have no money.

Why is this so relatable it’s going out on your own for the first time without having the normal structures there you had to support you and trying to find your tribe and deal with the anxiety that comes with that maybe students from Dublin studying Dublin missed out on this and see this as pretence but working class people from rural areas have been doing this for a long time now scraping by in the big smoke.

I loved it and think I will read the book eventually.

Polarised discussion of what is good and bad are missing the point this is layered and there is no divide you can be working class and I have an interest in reading and art and not be intellectualised and you just use it as a form of escape especially in a world that is obsessed with the privatisation of the public space by looking down at their phone

Yeah I guess having read the books also helps as you can flesh out the characters, which seem pretty standard so far in the show - posh rich quirky girl, the pretty popular girl, nice jock, the mean jock etc.

Maybe it was the hype, or its cos I was expecting something else but just not grabbing me.

Very good to see an Irish show do well though.

It’s very cookie cutter cliched stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

So it's basically another normie show to remind me how I missed out on teen love?

Yeah, into the trash it goes.

It’s basically what you would get if you smashed Home and Away, Grey’s Anatomy and 50 Shades of Grey together, shot it in Sligo and Trinity like a music video with a hipster soundtrack.

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    It’s basically what you would get if you smashed Home and Away, Grey’s Anatomy and 50 Shades of Grey together, shot it in Sligo and Trinity like a music video with a hipster soundtrack.

I saw no avocado toast though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

If he was really popular he would have a stalker girl ..or an ex stalker GF. Every popular guy at my school had one of those.

Not being smart but if you had finished the series or read the book you would know that there was a girl who loosely fits that description who was extremely interested in him at school.

I don’t mind people not liking it but calling it crap, unrealistic & clichéd after 2 episodes isn’t really fair when the character development throughout the series explains exactly why they both behaved the way they did in the early episodes.
    When you learn more about them it actually makes sense that they were like that. These are anything but one dimensional characters.

It’s very cookie cutter cliched stuff

Yeah it’s cookie cutter cliched stuff just like people who hang out in AH waiting to troll and agree with the 50% that agree with them that their views are also a mouse clicking cliche

I agree it’s a cliche but what is the definition of cliche what is definition of cynical

Have you watched it? Please watch it first before forming an opinion.

What does Cookie cutter cliche even mean ?
    People have been living independent lives that have a domestic element for an age now it’s just Norma of what alternative is meant to be and look like and which now is no longer the alternative.

The Alternative is not a reality, the alternative is the cliche

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Right so mein fuhrer, what subjects are we allowed to discuss?

Who is Dr,Phil?

• Advertisement

wurzlitzer wrote: »
    Who is Dr,Phil?

Remember Dr. Ruth? Well add 250lbs and 12 to 15 inches and a lot more body hair and a stupid southern accent.

Advertisement