Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Normal People, is it realistic?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

There’s nothing to get. Abramson decided to go shallow as f... on this one and get mass market viewing numbers boosted by the “sex scenes”

Pagecatching, and you've just been repeating this for a couple of pages about a show I've seen more people treat as event television than anything made in Ireland for years.

Your name's not Tommy by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,277 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Love how the girl is supposed to be some akward nerd and yet she stills gets the Chad bf.

An insight into female psychology there.
    She is the awkward nerd at school and they are having a relationship of sorts but he is too ashamed to tell his friends and shuns her at school....the romance of it all...

You haven't watched it all or read it at least be honest.

The Chad thing and the normies comment is a tad incel....that's pretty sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Tork

Yeah, all we need is cuck and we're done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Nermal

The promotional guff reminds me of the theme from the Family Guy parody of One Tree Hill... "high school is such a serious thing, these problems matter"

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭wurzlitzer

NSAman wrote: »
    I saw no avocado toast though!!

Is this funny anymore? The avocado dig.
    People recycling tropes about hipsters and millennials is so old hat. And that’s a joke btw.

Did you watch it? I am neither a hipster or a millennial but I related to it.

The series It was like an onion it had many layers to it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

wurzlitzer wrote: »
    Who is Dr,Phil?

I don't know, unlike you I don't frame my entire self esteem around my favourite tv show. But that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Did you watch it? Why do you think it should be called this. What’s wrong with being needy? Everyone has needs.

Yes, both are too much work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Tork

Chad
    Origin: Unknown, possibly 4chan

Meaning: Chad Thundercock—or just “chad”—is a derogatory name given to attractive men who are sexually successful with women.

Etymology: The origin of the meaning of “chad” is murky, but it was probably popularized on 4chan, the imageboard also home to the Anonymous hacker collective. It rose out of the depths of the internet around 2013 but only reached alt-right consciousness in the last year or so. (You might have seen the “virgin walk” memes floating around, for example.)

Today the place you’ll see “chad” most often is on the subreddit r/Incels, which is a depressing mix of self-loathing, self-pity, and misogyny. Chads are the ubiquitous successful object of envy for this community: attractive, smart, successful, and always lucky with women. The idea is used to reinforce the notion that celibacy is involuntary; incels think the only reason why women won’t sleep with them is because they don’t look like chads, as women are shallow and will always go for chads.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,398 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Pagecatching, and you've just been repeating this for a couple of pages about a show I've seen more people treat as event television than anything made in Ireland for years.

Your name's not Tommy by any chance?

Who is tommy? Genuinely asking

'You're saying things I don't like so I'm going to call you an incel'.

Such a low-IQ female response.

Can you just apologise for that misogynistic remark read it back

I agree no one should call anyone an incel

so this is the fate of AH it has gone from bants to Chernobyl.
    Banter is banter but remarks above are insults.

I

• Advertisement

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    It’s basically what you would get if you smashed Home and Away, Grey’s Anatomy and 50 Shades of Grey together, shot it in Sligo and Trinity like a music video with a hipster soundtrack.

This really does sum it up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Is this funny anymore? The avocado dig.
    People recycling tropes about hipsters and millennials is so old hat. And that’s a joke btw.

Did you watch it? I am neither a hipster or a millennial but I related to it.

The series It was like an onion it had many layers to it

I have seen the whole series and yes I enjoyed it immensely. As a piece of television it was slow to get going, but once the characters revealed themselves I enjoyed the whole thing.

By the way, anyone who eats avocado toast is open game..;)

The avocado toast signifies the mass market tripe this series is - intentionally so by the director

• Registered Users Posts: 32,277 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

'You're saying things I don't like so I'm going to call you an incel'.

Such a low-IQ female response.
    What a charmer I would say you get all the girls...
    I am a male for a start.... lol

NSAman wrote: »
    I have seen the whole series and yes I enjoyed it immensely. As a piece of television it was slow to get going, but once the characters revealed themselves I enjoyed the whole thing.

By the way, anyone who eats avocado toast is open game..;)

Well I love avocado toast at Lidl prices if that’s alright

Yeah but I liked the way the series lacks humour as humour and being salty and sarky is seen as the new currency nowadays and there was not a meme on sight.

All our lives now are one big meme

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

It’s worth noting that the book goes into detail of describing how Marianne is quite unattractive & plain looking.
    At one point during Connell’s inner monologue he describes her as repulsive and questions himself as to why he feels such an attraction & strong feelings for someone like her. Someone who has read it more recently than me might have a clearer recollection of that part of the book, but that’s the gist of it.

Obviously this wasn’t going to be an easy part to cast, Daisy Edgar-Jones is stunning, even when they purposely try to make her look plain in the school episodes.
    But it might give some further insight as to why Connell was so desperate to hide the relationship, and why Marianne was so snarky & defensive to other people in the early episodes.
    He was insecure and she was hurting.

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    I don't know, unlike you I don't frame my entire self esteem around my favourite tv show. But that's just me.

I am not like you.
    Are you attacking me?
    Is that not trolling right there?

I don’t have a favourite TV show....
    If you did n’t like the show that much and you don’t think it’s relatable go to another thread and moan

Personally attacking individuals and their esteem is not a good look on anyone

Well I love avocado toast at Lidl prices if that’s alright

Yeah but I liked the way the series lacks humour as humour and being salty and sarky is seen as the new currency nowadays and there was not a meme on sight.

All our lives now are one big meme

Hey cut me some slack Jack.... there are literally 600 channels here and there is F^^^ all to look at 200 bucks a month and the only stuff I can watch is streaming services....

Sarky and salty? But I am not an old dog.... sarky absolutely.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

vandriver wrote: »
    Still at school and driving his own car on a full license.That strained credibility just too far.

I went to secondary school in the 80's and about 4 or 5 lads in my class had a car ..driving in from the country

I went to secondary school in the 80's and about 4 or 5 lads in my class had a car ..driving in from the country

Were you held back too?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

It's hard to believe this sh1te was longlisted for the Booker. Nauseatingly inane...

https://books.google.ie/books?id=x3tgDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT6&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=3#v=onepage&q&f=false

sabat wrote: »
    It's hard to believe this sh1te was longlisted for the Booker. Nauseatingly inane...

https://books.google.ie/books?id=x3tgDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT6&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=3#v=onepage&q&f=false

I did not realise it’s was shortlisted or longlisted is that the technical term? for a booker defo going to give it a gander now might use it to increase my intellectual currency when I finally get to the pub

“ just read normal people who knew it was shortlisted for the booker how nauseating! I found it quite inane!”

What kinda of accent should I adopt?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I did not realise it’s was shortlisted or longlisted is that the technical term? for a booker defo going to give it a gander now might use it to increase my intellectual currency when I finally get to the pub

“ just read normal people who knew it was shortlisted for the booker how nauseating! I found it quite inane!”

I fear that no adopted accent will disguise your inherent stupidity.

sabat wrote: »
    I fear that no adopted accent will disguise your inherent stupidity.

Do you know any good accents that you could adopt for disguising arrogance maybe a blend between Carlow and Cavan would do it.

It just goes to show it’s only a book and only a show and yet it manages to relate to some people yet others find it unrelatable and that’s fine

I will go forth safe in the knowledge that my adopted accent will never cloak my inherent stupidity god forbid being stupid is a defect, and I ain’t a Jesus lover but need more compassion in your life.

What does inherent mean ? Is it innate
    Put inherent in a sentence

“He has inherent capacity to spout bull**** whenever an opportunity is presented by a pleb”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

Season two?

Fitter, happier
    More productive
    Comfortable
    Not drinking too much
    Regular exercise at the gym, three days a week
    Getting on better with your associate employee contemporaries
    At ease
    Eating well, no more microwave dinners and saturated fats
    A patient, better driver
    A safer car, baby smiling in back seat
    Sleeping well, no bad dreams
    No paranoia
    Careful to all animals, never washing spiders down the plughole
    Keep in contact with old friends, enjoy a drink now and then
    Will frequently check credit at moral bank, hole in wall
    Favours for favours, fond but not in love
    Charity standing orders on sundays, ring-road supermarket
    No killing moths or putting boiling water on the ants
    Car wash, also on sundays
    No longer afraid of the dark or midday shadows, nothing so ridiculously teenage
    and desperate
    Nothing so childish
    At a better pace, slower and more calculated
    No chance of escape
    Now self-employed
    Concerned, but powerless
    An empowered and informed member of societ, pragmatism not idealism
    Will not cry in public
    Less chance of illness
    Tires that grip in the wet, shot of baby strapped in backseat
    A good memory
    Still cries at a good film
    Still kisses with saliva
    No longer empty and frantic
    Like a cat
    Tied to a stick
    That's driven into
    Frozen winter ****, the ability to laugh at weakness
    Calm, fitter, healthier and more productive
    A pig in a cage on antibiotics

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpbdGnJbneE

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    Season two?

Fitter, happier
    More productive
    Comfortable

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Its one of the best shows Ive seen in years. For anybody who is saying Connell is wooden or soulless, its fairly clear you haven't watched until the end and seen the entire character development. The guy is an incredible actor.

You should really stick with it. The show really develops in a very subtle way and its well worth it. Some powerful acting all round and a lot more drama from about halfway through.

Okay I'll pick it up again tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Yes seems slow and ponderous. I can do that meself.
    I want crazy and exaggerated escapism. Not normality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

mariaalice wrote: »
    In rural areas its extremely common for teens to drive and not just with the well off, maybe this is showing up an urban-rural divide, load of my nieces and nephews were driving by 18.

Originally from Kerry. We all drove in our late teens and that was back in the 90s. We'd have been working class so money was tight enough but cars (albeit bangers) were a necessity to get from A to B. We just were named drivers on our parents insurance until we got our full licences.

I think Normal People is so brilliantly realistic. I'm far more critical of Irish dramas as often I don't feel it's convincing or tries to borrow Americanisms and phrases that young Irish people simply wouldn't say but this show feels so accurate. The inarticulate communication and the repressed dialogue from Connall in particular is spot on.

Advertisement