Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Normal People, is it realistic?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭Tork

Is Connell having a car at that age really that unusual? Most Leaving Cert students are 18 or 19 years of age now, which is up to 2 years older than they were when I was in school. I had reason to call into a college a few years ago and couldn't believe how many students' cars there were parked up around the place either. They're finding a way to pay for them. At a guess it's a mixture of saving up money from their part-time jobs, credit union loans and help from their parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,787 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tork wrote: »
    Is Connell having a car at that age really that unusual? Most Leaving Cert students are 18 or 19 years of age now, which is up to 2 years older than they were when I was in school. I had reason to call into a college a few years ago and couldn't believe how many students' cars there were parked up around the place either. They're finding a way to pay for them. At a guess it's a mixture of saving up money from their part-time jobs, credit union loans and help from their parents.

Seems it's unbelievable for people that only got a job when they started in 6th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Tork wrote: »

Yes. I just finished a third level course ..very few students had cars. Only the mature students did. They were all busing it.

listermint wrote: »
    Leaving ? I was driving in 5 year and working since 16

What age are you ?

Math isn't your strong point . Like at all
    Some job...you got your car and insurance in one year!

Yes. I just finished a third level course ..very few students had cars. Only the mature students did. They were all busing it.

When I went to third level most of the first years had cars. Maybe things are different now. Not working... Later start to working in life.... Less work ethic?

No idea.

• Advertisement

Seems it's unbelievable for people that only got a job when they started in 6th year.

My first job was 15. There is no way i could afford insurance and a car!

Putting the student on a policy as a named driver is a way around it.

I was 16 in 4th year.

It really feels like your maths failed you.

What did you study in this third level institute...

When I went to third level most of the first years had cars. Maybe things are different now. Not working... Later start to working in life.... Less work ethic?

No idea.

Nope they are all working.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

In rural areas its extremely common for teens to drive and not just with the well off, maybe this is showing up an urban-rural divide, load of my nieces and nephews were driving by 18.

• Advertisement

My first job was 15. There is no way i could afford insurance and a car!

Obviously weren't saving or working hard enough..

I was 16 in 4th year.

It really feels like your maths failed you.

What did you study in this third level institute...

Yeah ...you worked for a year ..and were driving in 5th year you said.

That's ONE year ..and you manage to save up for a car working part time on minimum wage.

That is some job.

mariaalice wrote: »
    In rural areas its extremely common for teens to drive and not just with the well off, maybe this is showing up an urban-rural divide.

Maybe it's showing mr/miss Vibes doesn't have the wordly experience they think they do..

Also plays into their experience of this TV program and reflection of their life to it . Totally uncommon to them.

Hmmm there's something in that.

That's ONE year ..and you manage to save up for a car working part time on minimum wage.

That is some job.

Not here to prove my life's existence to you. Just amused how you think your own existence is mirrored in everyone else's

Lol

In rural areas its extremely common for teens to drive and not just with the well off, maybe this is showing up an urban-rural divide, load of my nieces and nephews were driving by 18.
    Yes but i am assuming they are not coming from single parents families where the mother is a cleaner.

Yes but i am assuming they are not coming from single parents families where the mother is a cleaner.

You realise the car he owned is worth about 1.5k right...

Not here to prove my life's existence to you. Just amused how you think your own existence is mirrored in everyone else's

Lol

I know its not. That's the point. Your parents helped you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

seamus wrote: »
    I'm not sure if the relationship is typical, but the characters definitely are.

I absolutely cannot stand the male character, he reminds me so much of all of the wooden personality voids that I went to school with. Dead eyes, emotionless monotone conversation. Which is probably to the actor's credit.

She definitely reminds me strongly of many people I went to college with, who used the new found freedom as an excuse to be overly pretentious and intellectual.

There's not much groundbreaking in the relationship tbh. Most peoples' first sexual experiences are between 16 and 21, and they're often ill-advised, awkward affairs.

there is more to conal than meets the eye , he is however quite cowardly , apart from being afraid to show any sort of difference from his friends , he is afraid to be seen with mariane as she is viewed as odd amongst said friends

being different in anyway is frowned upon in secondary schools , especially in rural parts of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I was a lounge boy when I was 16, bought and insured a moped for the craic, could have gotten a second hand car for what I paid for it, so an 18 year old owning and taxing there own car? I'd believe it.

That is some job.

Centra, Spar, SuperValue or waiting on tables or pot washing are extremely common jobs with teens and the money is not that bad.

• Advertisement

You realise the car he owned is worth about 1.5k right...
    I think the first year i worked at 15 i earned something like 900 that entire year after tax and having to hand up money at home ...buses etc.

I think the first year i worked at 15 i earned something like 900 that entire year after tax and having to hand up money at home ...buses etc.

I'm sorry for ya , but the job was crap.

Either you only worked Saturday or they exploited the **** out of you.

I'm sorry for ya , but the job was crap.

True.

Meh ...im just jealous you got a car dont mind me. I got epilepsy! :)

True.

Meh ...im just jealous you got a car dont mind me. I got epilepsy! :)

Don't worry I'd more expendable back then than I had in my late twenties...

:(

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I was a lounge boy when I was 16, bought and insured a moped for the craic, could have gotten a second hand car for what I paid for it, so an 18 year old owning and taxing there own car? I'd believe it.

My niece did that, unfortunately, the moped was too much for the steep hill they lived on, even back in the 1980s my sister got a moped when she was in college and my brother got a motorbike because he was fed up of public transport to college. A car for a student would have been a massive stretch in the 1980s

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Either you only worked Saturday or they exploited the **** out of you.
    Apprentice wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Feels like

A. You didn't have a car at that age.
    B. Weren't working since you were allowed to either.

Have I hit the nail on the head ?

Get a job ya bum. Being in school doesn't prevent you from doing that.
    Don't give up the day job and become a psychic.
    I'd hate to see you starve.

I bought my first car while working in a poorly paid job. I got a loan from the local credit union and that got me started. Some of what I borrowed went toward the first year's insurance.

I have family/friends/collleagues who've helped put their college age kids on the road with their first car. It really isn't that unusual at all.

• Advertisement

My niece did that, unfortunately, the moped was too much for the steep hill they lived on, even back in the 1980s my sister got a moped when she was in college and my brother got a motorbike because he was fed up of public transport to college. A car for a student would have been a massive stretch in the 1980s

I didn't even want the thing, I just had nothing else to spend my money on...... I wish I had that problem now....

Advertisement