Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Normal People, is it realistic?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Honestly I had assumed no teens got the adult minimum wage.

That's why employers employee teens...they don't have to pay them the adult minimum wage.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I didn't even want the thing, I just had nothing else to spend my money on...... I wish I had that problem now....

Actually i do know friends who did that with clothes.

I was always a cheapo ..they blew money on designer gear etc. They wouldn't do it now. I mean channel make up etc. Dior bags. Vuitton bags ...and they were lounge girls. Seemed mad to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Tork wrote: »
    The inarticulateness of the characters was really realistic too. I think we've got so used to watching articulate Americans with carefully crafted lines of dialogue, we forget that humans don't talk like that. We aren't always articulate or good at constructing proper sentences in our heads. We don't say what's on our minds, even though we should. If Connell had been better at saying what was on his mind, it would've made life a lot less complicated for him.

Sounds like the anti-Dawson's Creek. And that's a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Honestly I had assumed no teens got the adult minimum wage.

That's why employers employee teens...they don't have to pay them the adult minimum wage.

I think you need to give up now.

Sounds like the anti-Dawson's Creek. And that's a good thing.

I wonder what the target audience thought. I mean real 17 yr olds.

• Advertisement

mariaalice wrote: »
    I think you need to give up now.
    Its actually a huge issue. Partic in Hairdressing.

https://www.joe.ie/life-style/young-workers-paid-less-621989

Maybe its not relevant to you in YOUR life experience but it was for me and many young people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Actually i do know friends who did that with clothes.

I was always a cheapo ..they blew money on designer gear etc. They wouldn't do it now. I mean channel make up etc. Dior bags. Vuitton bags ...and they were lounge girls. Seemed mad to me.
    I used to work Friday and Saturday night, Sunday day if there was a match, but the main day was the first Tuesday night of the month...... Children's allowance day, I'd pull in 2 weeks wages in tips that night. If you work in a golf pub or a racing one after a win, there was serious money to be made in the early 00s

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I used to work Friday and Saturday night, Sunday day if there was a match, but the main day was the first Tuesday night of the month...... Children's allowance day, I'd pull in 2 weeks wages in tips that night. If you work in a golf pub or a racing one after a win, there was serious money to be made in the early 00s

I was working five days a week as a hairdresser at 16 (bad idea i went back to school). I got 6 euro an hr.

I did have a cleaning job later on ..that paid better in fairness.

Anyway its just MY personal opinion flawed or not that part wasn't realistic. You don't have to agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

It’s cliched pretentious rubbish that depends on sensationalistic sex scenes for publicity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

I think the first year i worked at 15 i earned something like 900 that entire year after tax and having to hand up money at home ...buses etc.

Either you're ancient or you were exploited, but this is not remotely typical.

I worked in a factory on Saturdays and Sundays and made about 200 euro a week - 800 a month. I saved literally thousands of euro per year and had enough when I went to college to support myself there, including paying rent. And you think it's far fetched that a fella bought a car and insured it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,588 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    He’s some guy though, working after school and weekends, has an active social life, drives his mother around, plays lots of sports, has a secret girlfriend and still gets enough points to do literature at Trinity.
    He did sound like some man till you mentioned literature :(

It’s cliched pretentious rubbish that depends on sensationalistic sex scenes for publicity.

Its just so ...Romeo and Juliet ..so over dramatic!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The posts here are showing up something interesting the big divide is between the academic highflyers and the rest.

mariaalice wrote: »
    The posts here are showing up something interesting the big divide is between the academic highflyers and the rest.

You can choose to be an academic highflyer. I went from where i was to doing a degree. But its not as easy for some.

We don't all start off the same.

TBH the whole programme is getting to feel sorry for an upper middle class girl over a working class guy...because she is awkward. So i guess that is the target audience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod

No more personal digs at each other.

ILYV, report posts you feel are over the line, do not resort to on thread insults.

Either you're ancient or you were exploited, but this is not remotely typical.

I worked in a factory on Saturdays and Sundays and made about 200 euro a week - 800 a month. I saved literally thousands of euro per year and had enough when I went to college to support myself there, including paying rent. And you think it's far fetched that a fella bought a car and insured it?

Average hrly wage for an apprentice hairdresser today is 7 euro per hr.

https://www.payscale.com/research/IE/Job=Apprentice_Hairdresser/Hourly_Rate

No I am not ancient.

If you are 16 today ....working full time 5 dys a week in the hairdressing industry your average hrly wage is 7 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭Tork

Connell wasn't working as a hairdresser. Anyway, can we move on. We get your point. You don't think it's realistic that a teenager can afford to run a car. Some of us think it is. The end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I was driving a car in secondary school.

My Dad's car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

This place is hilarious 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,166 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Normal/Boring people. My god it was a yawn fest.

Sounds like the title should have been a clue.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Sounds like the title should have been a clue.

True.

Also is it just me or does Paul Mescal look much older than 24??

His bio says 24.

The English actress does a great Irish accent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,248 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I definitely wouldnt classify those sex scenes as "sensationalistic" have you watched the whole thing?
    Fairly normal imo.
    Euphoria on HBO/Sky Atlantic...now those were "sensationalistic".

I read the book when it came out (it wouldn't be my normal genre) and enjoyed it. The tv show is excellent imo (bar episode 9 which I thought was poor) but obviously not for everyone, I found it hugely effecting and realistic the main two are hugely compelling and talented.

gmisk wrote: »
    I definitely wouldnt classify those sex scenes as "sensationalistic".
    Fairly normal imo.
    Euphoria on HBO/Sky Atlantic...now those were "sensationalistic".

I read the book when it came out and enjoyed it. The tv show is excellent imo but obviously not for everyone, I found it hugely effecting and realistic the main two are hugely compelling and talented.

I think the actress is.

The guy ...it was a bit awkward.

Some of the lines are a bit cringey...

COnnal ... 'Her new boyfriend is more in line with her social class' etc...i giggled.

I think the actress is.

The guy ...it was a bit awkward.

Some of the lines are a bit cringey...

'Her new boyfriend is more in line with her social class' etc...i giggled.
    I think that is the character though...he is socially extremely awkward and clearly over analyses and over thinks everything. People that age say cringey things as well lol, Have you watched the whole thing?
    Paul Mescal in episode 10 especially is absolutely outstanding.

I am not sure if that particular line is from the book or not tbh.

I think that is the character though...he is socially extremely awkward and clearly over analyses and over thinks everything. People that age say cringey things as well lol, Have you watched the whole thing?

I am not sure if that particular line is from the book or not tbh.
    I haven't read the book.

But they ALL say cringey things.

Also if he is so popular etc ...how is it he is so awkward? He's not a well constructed character.

I haven't read the book.

Also if he is so popular etc ...how is it he is so awkward? He's not a well constructed character.
    I would say watch the whole thing or read the book. There honestly are reasons behind the way he behaves etc, I don't want to post spoilers.

Some of the dialogue at the Trinity parts are very cringey alright...but having gone their I don't think they are far from the truth...

People can be popular (he is the all conquering, handsome, intelligent jock you could say) and still be awkward or shy or put up a front of being laid back etc when they are anything but.

I personally think he is really well constructed but hey like I said the show/book isn't for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I haven't read the book.

He's popular because he plays GAA, again it's the lazy storytelling trope that's existed since media. He'd be a nobody if he couldn't kick a ball.

I would say watch the whole thing or read the book. There honestly are reasons behind the way he behaves etc, I don't want to post spoilers.

Some of the dialogue at the Trinity parts are very cringey alright...but having gone their I don't think they are far from the truth...

People can be popular (he is the all conquering, handsome, intelligent jock you could say) and still be awkward or shy or put up a front of being laid back etc when they are anything but.

I personally think he is really well constructed but hey like I said the show/book isn't for everyone.

I felt there were several flaws.

The girl who wrote it is the editor of the stinging fly. I could be prejudiced against her ..as i didnt like it of late ..its gotten very conventional.

Maybe I will try to read the book. I am not sure it would be for me though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Not a N plate either, so he must be a bit slow? At least 19 and in school!

For someone so intelligent, that was my thought too.... he must have been held back.;)

Advertisement