Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dr. Leo Varadkar rejoins the health service

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

There really is some bitter begrudgers in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Baseball72

Doc Martin first, then rotates to Dr Leo.....seems fair to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

statesaver wrote: »
    Never waste a good PR opportunity, well played FG, well played.

It's the OP who is exploiting PR for thanks, not Leo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

The levels of gullibility around this issue are difficult to fathom.

We need Leo to be a Taoiseach right now, not manning a phone line.

The optics of this were obviously to good to pass up for Leo’s PR team and it appears to have worked given many of the responses on here but I don’t understand how the leader of our country can give up 1 full working day every week to man a phone line, while were in the middle of a national and global crisis.

The only way it makes sense is if it’s just a PR stunt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

FG have always patronised the electorate in a childlike way and many of them fell for it. They wont be able to see through this stunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Or if we have a national shortage of doctors. We are crying out for them, lots of politicians around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Ah for fecks sake will you lot cop on.
    It's a serious situation and we need doctors badly.
    If he relieves one frontline medic for 8 hours every week great! I can't do that, can you?
    Put your politics and prejudice aside and support your country as many have from all partys
    I didn't vote for Leo but i sure am glad he is doing what he can now.

Bleating on about your incredible hindsight or forward vision is bull**** as you were never under the cosh to decide.
    If you really believe that FG is making hay here and that's all they are about well then you are right and we are fouked or just maybe they are doing their best for their families and ours.
    He's going to be doing contract tracing, it says it in every article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

rdwight wrote: »

And Dessie Elllis could go back to...let's not go there.

Don't want to be morbid, but there is a high demand for graves to be dug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The optics of this were obviously to good to pass up for Leo’s PR team and it appears to have worked given many of the responses on here but I don’t understand how the leader of our country can give up 1 full working day every week to man a phone line, while were in the middle of a national and global crisis.

This.
    PR Stunt.
    End of thread.

https://www.thejournal.ie/trolley-scandal-hse-how-they-do-it-massaging-3177983-Jan2017/
    Senior hospital staff have said that patients in some of Ireland’s 52 hospitals are being moved to different wards at specific times of the day so they can avoid the INMO’s Trolley Watch figures, which are published daily, making it appear that hospitals are dealing better with the overcrowding crisis than they are.

Some patients, according to frontline workers, are brought for scans and other diagnostic tests during the time where INMO nurses would usually conduct the count.

TheJournal.ie can also reveal that late last year when Health Minister Simon Harris was visiting the new endscopy unit at Cork University Hospital, a number of patients were moved from trolleys into the theatre recovery room.

“This was done to give the impression that there was nobody on trolleys. They were moved like jigsaw pieces”, one member of staff at CUH told TheJournal.ie.

A similar incident is alleged to have happened during Leo Varadkar’s tenure as Health Minister. This time the accusations concerned Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda, Louth.

Staff said patients were moved into a new modular unit, which was being unveiled by the then Minister in reaction to the overcrowding crisis at the hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

No fan of Leo but he has shown better leadership skills in dealing with Covid-19 than that other eejet across the water and I think the countries quick reaction in implementing measure to stop the spread of this virus will save lives! This may well be a PR stunt and I’d prefer if media didn’t say he was “front line” as he will be answering phones once a week but **** it I say Fairplay! Nobody has to vote for Fine Gael when this all ends but think he has done a decent job in all of this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,928 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

aido79 wrote: »

Nail on the head

I know for a fact that this happened. What did Leo do?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/hospital-denies-hiding-patients-on-trolleys-for-taoiseach-s-visit-1.3463702
    Saolta University Health Care Group has denied that patients on trolleys in University Hospital Galway’s emergency department were “hidden” for the visit of Taoiseach Leo Varadkar last week.

According to figures from the Irish Nurses and Midwives Organisation (INMO), there were 42 patients on trolleys on Tuesday, 58 on Wednesday, but just 26 on Thursday for Mr Varadkar’s visit. The figure rose again to 36 on Friday.

Independent TD Catherine Connolly, who was at the hospital on Thursday, said it was “a miracle” that the numbers dropped for Mr Varadkar’s visit.

“I walked through the hospital on Thursday, and I noticed that it was quiet,” she told RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta. “I got calls then afterwards, to tell me that it was all a pretence, that there were patients there but that they had been hidden.

To be fair this happened when Cowen was Taoiseach too. But it is always ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,364 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I don't begrudge it to him. I admire any person signing up to apply their professional skills in this effort.

I do however think that *nothing* should distract from running the Country at this point or from forming a committed new Government with the strong potential to last the next 5 years.

When Leo Varadkar is no longer Acting Head of Government of this State, and presuming he doesn't get a new cabinet position that precludes it, then he can do what he likes and I'll wish him well doing it.

The shinner bots are out this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

He qualified as a GP two years after he was elected to the Dail and never actually practiced. At least one of the jobs wasn't being done properly. After 10+ years in politics I doubt his skill set has gotten any better. At this point his medical qualifications are one step removed from an honorary doctorate. No way I would want to be treated by him.

He is the leader of the country. Generals don't fight in the Frontline anymore neither should he. Maybe he should sit in on the next call with the Chinese PPE supplier rather than posing for the inevitable photo op of him wearing the stuff.

Whelo79 wrote: »
    He's answering the phones? Are they looking for more people to do that? I'm not medically qualified but hold an MSc quaification.

If I was allowed I would no problem, and i would be neither looking for or expecting a pat on the back for ding it. Surely a script of questions to ask and steps to take dependent on the callers answer is all it takes??
    Yep, that's the long and short of it. There are plenty contact tracers as many other employees in the HSE have been redeployed. Incredibly poor use of time as far as the caretaker Taoiseach is concerned. Doesn't even have a mandate and he's double-jobbing.

And no, I don't have a solution but neither apparently does the glorious leader of some of you and he's the one with the power to enact change. How he'll do that while speaking to individuals on the phone about their contract with confirmed cases, your guess is as good as mine. But if he thinks that's the best use of his time would he not just eff off and let somebody else do the job of leading the country. I actually don't give a sh!t who at this stage.

If that old chestnut is your only recourse, you'll never change your tune. It's the most transparent PR crap I've ever seen. I don't have any preference for Sinn Féin. In fact, right now I'm erring just becoming fully anarchist and ignoring the pillars of society from the comfort of my home until this blows over and then starting to negotiate with whoever is left in society. I'm bunkered down for the long haul.

Enjoy watching your party suffocate and die like all the people they've condemned to a similar fate, drowning on their own sputum on a cot in the corner of the absolutely teeming hospital.

Why anyone would keep beating that drum you have is a complete mystery to me. Normally I don't directly respond to people who spout the "Shinnerbot" nonsense but I thought you were a rational enough person because of your impressively early contributions to the original Covid threads. I'm flabbergasted that you support this rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Nail on the head

After liking a post taking the piss out of SF TD’s I think you lose the right to winge about begrudger and politicising this. Well done on retaining the moral high ground for approximately 2 hours.

smurgen wrote: »
    After liking a post taking the piss out of SF TD’s I think you lose the right to winge about begrudger and politicising this. Well done on retaining the moral high ground for approximately 2 hours.

Could you imagine the disaster we would be in if SF were in govt?

It does not bare thinking about.

• Advertisement

The OP sums up why people dont trust FG though. It's very much do as I say not as I do. If he is FG supporter, it does not give much credibility.

Someone who had to be physically stopped going to Northetn Italy, but going to Cheltenham and probably infecting half the Country, he is a poor poster boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

KiKi III wrote: »
    Sometimes an idea is both a PR opportunity and the right thing to do. This is one of those times.
    this in a nutshell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Leo has really triggered them tonight. And their fish wife still hiding under the duvet with a head cold.
    She’s only sulking now that her crawling to FG/FF didn’t work. :D

The OP sums up why people dont trust FG though. It's very much do as I say not as I do. If he is FG supporter, it does not give much credibility.

Someone who had to be physically stopped going to Northern Italy, but boasting going to Cheltenham despite concerns and probably infecting half the Country, he is a poor poster boy and posting for thanks.

It was a huge mistake to let those reckless Cheltenham people back in. The fact that one of them (OP) is now pontificating about leadership is an insult to any of us with family members impacted by this horrible virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Considering how insistent they were on referring to Ian Paisley as "Dr." on foot of an honorary degree, I'm curious why Unionists up North don't always refer to "Dr. Varadkar"....

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭bunderoon

aido79 wrote: »

Who are the bitter begrudgers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

A shameful publicity stunt that many will fall for unfortunately. Varadkar is one cute fecker though so fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Im not a Leo fan at all, I think he's taken FG far too left and is more concerned with twitter likes than good economic policy, but my christ if he actually sticks to this and its not just a 1 and done photo op , then fair play, a serious commitment from him and absolutely something I'd like to see more where getting re-elected isn't a politicians only skill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Exactly, and he was a **** minister of health

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

It's the most upvoted news story on Reddit world news at the moment.

j2xgZyy.png?1

In the era of 'so shocking it's no longer shocking' news headlines featuring your Trumps, Bolsonaros and Dutertes, it's refreshing to see this kind of news whether it's from one of our own or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Exactly, and he was a **** minister of health

whens the last time we had a good one ?
    its the poison chalice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Obviously it's optics, everything in politics is,but how is it actually hurting anyone? He's literally helping others!

Good to see a bit of positivity in the news that our elected officials are doing all they can to help, even if it's for PR. Will no doubt improve overall morale of people working in the health care system.

You'd have to be some miserable bastard to make this out to be a bad thing.

In the era of 'so shocking it's no longer shocking' news headlines featuring your Trumps, Bolsonaros and Dutertes, it's refreshing to see this kind of news whether it's from one of our own or not.

It’s only refreshing if you’re fooled by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Im not a Leo fan at all, I think he's taken FG far too left and is more concerned with twitter likes than good economic policy, but my christ if he actually sticks to this and its not just a 1 and done photo op , then fair play, a serious commitment from him and absolutely something I'd like to see more where getting re-elected isn't a politicians only skill.

He's sitting in a room answering phones. You or I could do that?

KiKi III wrote: »
    Sometimes an idea is both a PR opportunity and the right thing to do. This is one of those times.

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Ferm001 wrote: »
    Fair play to him, but plays a bit as a publicity stunt.

Bigger risk is him becoming infected, and taking half the government into isolation.

What risk???? :confused:

Unless COVID-19 is transferrable over the phone he is at no risk at all. He's performing over-the-phone screening, although him taking out the rest of the government would be welcomed.

touts wrote: »
    He qualified as a GP two years after he was elected to the Dail and never actually practiced. At least one of the jobs wasn't being done properly. After 10+ years in politics I doubt his skill set has gotten any better. At this point his medical qualifications are one step removed from an honorary doctorate. No way I would want to be treated by him.

He is the leader of the country. Generals don't fight in the Frontline anymore neither should he. Maybe he should sit in on the next call with the Chinese PPE supplier rather than posing for the inevitable photo op of him wearing the stuff.

There is no mention of him volunteering in general practice. It is being reported that he has offered to work for the HSE in areas within the scope of his practice.

That could be any number of disciplines he may have worked in while a hospital doctor, emergency, general surgery, geriatrics, pediatrics etc or it could be as relief for other hospital doctors or simply manning a phoneline for the ill or anxious.

In fact, I think whatever role he is doing should not raise any risk of him getting the virus.

VonLuck wrote: »
    You'd have to be some miserable bastard to make this out to be a bad thing.

Im a miserable bastard who would like us to have a full time Taoiseach.

If Leo wants to help out as a doctor I would applaud him for it but he should do one or the other.

jim salter wrote: »

Unless COVID-19 is transferrable over the phone he is at no risk at all. He's performing over-the-phone screening, although him taking out the rest of the government would be welcomed.

Speak for yourself, you small minded oaf.

I don't agree with him doing it, but I'm not being like you about it.

jim salter wrote: »

Lovely. Hope none of your loved ones meet a bad fate with the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Fair dues to him. He probably thought it would be hypocritical of him to ask former front line staff to return and for him to not put his own shoulder to the wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

BanditLuke wrote: »
    A shameful publicity stunt that many will fall for unfortunately. Varadkar is one cute fecker though so fair play to him.

Ok I know most politics related threads are full of posters so entrenched with whatever political party that there is no reasoning (goes for die hard supporters of fg, ff, sf etc ).
    However imagine you are Leo and want a good publicity stunt, would you
    a) man a telephone for one day a week - you have the necessary qualifications and experience and can be of use.
    b) Turn up in a hazmat suit regularly in covid hubs or ICU wards perhaps even do it once a week.

I think any publicity stunt would be going with b all day long. Ive not read most posts tonight or spent too long on twitter but plenty taking the piss that hes only answering a phone.

Klonker wrote: »
    Fair dues to him. He probably thought it would be hypocritical of him to ask former front line staff to return and for him to not put his own shoulder to the wheel.

Concannon told him to do it and he figured "yeah my self-satisfaction rating will go through the roof. I'll probably be upvoted on Reddit until it's the top world news story. And I'll just be doing contract tracing in my office, it's completely risk-free!"

His colleagues and the mandarian wouldn't let him even consider doing B, so its not relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

touts wrote: »

I suggest you should read what he's doing before commenting.

It would ensure that you don't write stupidity

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Could you imagine the disaster we would be in if SF were in govt?

It does not bare thinking about.

Yes they would have taken hard decisions like stopping flights from Northern Italy and closing nursing homes to visitors unlike FG who are now scrambling to contain the situation after moving too late. Closing the gate after the horse has bolted has lead to massive clusters related to these two bad decisions alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Etc

Yes they would have taken hard decisions like stopping flights from Northern Italy and closing nursing homes to visitors unlike FG who are now scrambling to contain the situation after moving too late. Closing the gate after the horse has bolted has lead to massive clusters related to these two bad decisions alone.

Course they would..........

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Ok I know most politics related threads are full of posters so entrenched with whatever political party that there is no reasoning (goes for die hard supporters of fg, ff, sf etc ).
    However imagine you are Leo and want a good publicity stunt, would you
    a) man a telephone for one day a week - you have the necessary qualifications and experience and can be of use.
    b) Turn up in a hazmat suit regularly in covid hubs or ICU wards perhaps even do it once a week.

I think any publicity stunt would be going with b all day long. Ive not read most posts tonight or spent too long on twitter but plenty taking the piss that hes only answering a phone.
    Are you kidding me.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-varadkar-returns-to-practising-medicine-to-help-during-crisis-1.4221463?mode=amp

"It is understood the Taoiseach is helping out in phone assessments. Anyone who may have been exposed to Covid-19 is initially assessed over the phone rather than in person, to curb the spread of the virus."

What a waste of time and PPE putting him into any sort of protective gear. He hasn't practiced medicine in over a decade and he never spent time working in a hospital in any meaningful way when he was a registered doctor.

I swear, do you have functioning logical faculties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

s1ippy wrote: »
    Are you kidding me.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-varadkar-returns-to-practising-medicine-to-help-during-crisis-1.4221463?mode=amp

"It is understood the Taoiseach is helping out in phone assessments. Anyone who may have been exposed to Covid-19 is initially assessed over the phone rather than in person, to curb the spread of the virus."

What a waste of time and PPE putting him into any sort of protective gear. He hasn't practiced medicine in over a decade and he never spent time working in a hospital in any meaningful way when he was a registered doctor.

I swear, do you have functioning logical faculties.

He spent 4 years working in hospitals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Your damned if you do ………………….

• Advertisement

They closed nursing homes at the very start. I know this myself through family so that's bull crap. They closed before anything else.

Banning flights in to an island carries unforeseen risks which you seem to be suggesting shinners would rush in to.

This is the problem with people who can't lead.

You have to balance the pros and cons of every decision.

SF couldn't run a corner shop. Everyone knows it, even shinners!

Advertisement