Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr. Leo Varadkar rejoins the health service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Answering the phone? So hes going to be a receptionist?.

Jokes aside those that fall for the St Leo propaganda why release the story to the press first? Why have a PR and spin team employed if he isnt into image and scoring political points?

The same people baying for his blood 6 weeks ago at election time now fawn and go gooey eyed when his name is mentioned.
    Unbelieable.

They will say hes doing a great job now.

BALLS.

Were the borders closed from day 1? Are they even closed now?

Prevention is better than cure.

1000% this.
    Everyone is doing their bit. Most geniune people are not shouting about it, they are just putting their head down and getting on with it.

Christ I dont even want to write this - but as a point, I help out with various groups and even more so since this **** has hit the fan. But to think, to even pass the thought that I or anyone I assist with, would go on facebook etc to let everyone know that, this is what we are doing. No genuine person would do that..
    It's disgusting and only fools would believe this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Fair play to him hopefully he gets time to spend it on the front lines, i am a massive believer that politicians should come from a broad range of professions in which they have served time before running for political office. As it generally means they will at least have good experience in one area be it engineering, science, medicine, commerce etc.

We need less elected due to family connections and history and more efforts made to get people will real life experience to try and enter political office.

I think this crisis has shown that although we bemoan the lack of choice in elections , we do have some good leaders out there in comparison to USA, UK, Brazil and others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Mary Loo must be raging she has a head cold. She’d be on the front line too otherwise...

She has much to offer, pity she is in quarantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

bunderoon wrote: »
    1000% this.
    Everyone is doing their bit. Most geniune people are not shouting about it, they are just putting their head down and getting on with it.

Christ I dont even want to write this - but as a point, I help out with various groups and even more so since this **** has hit the fan. But to think, to even pass the thought that I or anyone I assist with, would go on facebook etc to let everyone know that, this is what we are doing. No genuine person would do that..

You write the bit in bold and then you go on to talk about what you are doing.

This should be used as a PR exercise because it sends the right message and will most likely encourage many more to to think is there anything that they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It sends out a positive message to healthcare staff.

People complaining about PR yet PR is part of the point rather than how many Varadkar himself can help.

It sends a good message to frontline workers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Fair play to him hopefully he gets time to spend it on the front lines, i am a massive believer that politicians should come from a broad range of professions in which they have served time before running for political office. As it generally means they will at least have good experience in one area be it engineering, science, medicine, commerce etc.

We need less elected due to family connections and history and more efforts made to get people will real life experience to try and enter political office.

100% this. I always check what my potential TD's do for a living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ihdxwz4a3pem9j

Jokes aside those that fall for the St Leo propaganda why release the story to the press first? Why have a PR and spin team employed if he isnt into image and scoring political points?

The same people baying for his blood 6 weeks ago at election time now fawn and go gooey eyed when his name is mentioned.
    Unbelieable.

BALLS.

Answering the phone? I hardly think that he will be simply greeting them. Nearly every GP service in the country is working primarily via “answering the phone”. It takes considerable medical experience to elicit the necessary medical details from a patient, in order to appropriately triage them. If done poorly, it can result in life and death situations. For example, somebody who has an exacerbation of their asthma, resulting in inability to speak full sentences secondary to corona, needs urgent medical attention. It is a judgement call, based on years of study and working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ihdxwz4a3pem9j

bunderoon wrote: »
    1000% this.

And what do you think of the healthcare workers who post selfies of themselves donning the PPE? Are they any less worthy of praise for it? People have pride in their work. They make a huge amount of sacrifices for their job. Let them have their moment of glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Can't fault the way the parties have handled things, good on him for looking to chip in where he can/is needed. When you look at the sh!te hawks the UK/US have handling things our lads are a god send. Listening and taking advice and steps put forward by people that know their stuff.

Still want them out when this settles down.

You write the bit in bold and then you go on to talk about what you are doing.

This should be used as a PR exercise because it sends the right message and will most likely force many more to to think is there anything that they can do.

And if your re-read my second sentence, you should understand that I was making a point without going into details. I even stated it as such.

This PR exercise is just that. There is a benefit that it will free up someone else for 8 hours who works 40-50hrs a week during the period. But it does not 'force' anyone to anything...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Its very simple really ....

The public needs as many health care people as possible and he is qualified and has stepped up ...

If your so full of bitterness towards the man then maybe you need to go look in mirror.

I'm sure the rest of his family are equally proud of him .

And what do you think of the healthcare workers who post selfies of themselves donning the PPE? Are they any less worthy of praise for it? People have pride in their work. They make a huge amount of sacrifices for their job. Let them have their moment of glory.

You are missing the point.
    Those front line works deserve every bit of praise even if they do post on facebook etc themselves. And fair play to them.
    l
    Leo is an entirely different situation. I am simply saying that Leo's PR team are putting this ****e out for HIM. Not for us, but for him.
    His work will be a benefit to the greater system, but as I said before, this is about PR. And that's the sickening part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

Great leader getting into the trenches while others stay at home with a snotty nose.

Who forced them to stay at home though?

(Besides if they have a snotty nose isn't it, er, better if they don't leave the house?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lonesomerhodes

Answering the phone? I hardly think that he will be simply greeting them. Nearly every GP service in the country is working primarily via “answering the phone”. It takes considerable medical experience to elicit the necessary medical details from a patient, in order to appropriately triage them. If done poorly, it can result in life and death situations. For example, somebody who has an exacerbation of their asthma, resulting in inability to speak full sentences secondary to corona, needs urgent medical attention. It is a judgement call, based on years of study and working

Notice I said joke aside? No?

Yes it requires knowledge to do that. Not disputing that.

What I think is Leo is a shrewd politician. Hes very aware of the media and his image.

I can bet you anything his odds of remaining on as Taoiseach in the next government will be slashed by the bookies.

Make of that what you will.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Unbelieable.

BALLS.

Eh....I could be wrong but he is a GP.GPs are currently working via phone.I rang my own 2 weeks ago, and out weekend service DDoc yesterday, and spoke via the phone for the "appointment" each time.
    He is a qualified doctor and there is a campaign to get all healthcare workers available back into the system.This isn't about politics, it's about the fact that he is qualified and available to do a necessary job.He was a doctor before he was a politician, and most likely will to go back to being a doctor again at some point.Why wouldn't he volunteer?

Notice I said joke aside? No?

Yes it requires knowledge to do that. Not disputing that.

What I think is Leo is a shrewd politician. Hes very aware of the media and his image.

I can bet you anything his odds of remaining on as Taoiseach in the next government will be slashed by the bookies.

Make of that what you will.

He is for sure.
    I support & am glad that he's doing it. But fully aware why he is doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

I suppose what we should remember when the dust settles is that the politicians (FF, FG, Labour, Sinn Fein and whoever) oversaw and were responsible for one of the worst health care services in the first world for decades - despite all of the tax payers money that was pumped in it.

Originally back in 2014 when I heard Leo Varadkar was going to be Minister for Health - I thought things might change/improve - as he seemed bright and from a medical background - but in my view he was a complete failure in that role.

So the country has made incredible progress in readiness over the last few weeks - but imagine if they had being doing their jobs properly all along? - and we were building from a decent starting point - how many extra lives would be saved in the next few months ? - so for me every one of those elected represenatives should be out doing whatever they can 24x7.

If they take a good long hard at what they have done over their careers as I think there is more they could have done regarding getting us ready for this.

Anything additionally they can do, they should be doing - but I wouldnt be praising them. They should have been doing an awful lot more over the years in my view - especially those who were Ministers for Health at some point over the last few decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Stanford wrote: »
    We elected FG to lead the Government and they elected Vlad to be Taoiseach, not a medical doctor.

Another silly FG stunt, we need leadership now, not Vlad playing silly buggers
    Vlad is so clever, what a clever thing to call him. Ho!

VLAD the INHALER

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Boris Johnson's idea of a PR stunt was to continue shaking hands with hospital patients where Covid 19 was a threat.

The result: British prime minister Boris Johnson has just been admitted to hospital for tests due to his coronavirus symptoms persisting.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/coronavirus-boris-johnson-in-hospital-for-tests-as-symptoms-persist-1.4221569

Donald Trump's idea of a PR stunt is to refuse to wear a mask even though the CDC is now recommending it.

Bolansaro in Brazil suggested Brazilians are somehow immune to the virus.

I'll take Leo's service doing phone triage above how most world leaders have made headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Rosita

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-varadkar-returns-to-practising-medicine-to-help-during-crisis-1.4221463

He really has come in to his own as a leader. He really is a great example. Especially when you compare him to other world leaders.

I'm sure the usual "bots" who can't see pass their nose for hatred of FG will be along to cry PR stunt or whatever, but thats just par for the course with the men who have all the questions and none of the answers.

I have to just say, fair play leo, hope you inspire others to do what they can.

At one level I would be tempted to say fair play to him but I wouldn't see it as a sign of leadership. Leadership would be staying where he is in the Taoiseach's office until there's another elected and providing leadership in that role at a time when it's badly needed. I don't hate FG but am convinced that Varadker takes no action that is not informed by PR. Otherwise he could have employed one more doctor and stayed where he was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Tzardine wrote: »
    Not a fan of the man at all.

But I say fair play to him. Health service is under serious pressure and likely to get worse. Every little helps.

People will sh1t on him just because.

Yes, even if it is spin. It's a good message.

Anything that you/we can do to help is important

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

shesty wrote: »
    Eh....I could be wrong but he is a GP.GPs are currently working via phone.I rang my own 2 weeks ago, and out weekend service DDoc yesterday, and spoke via the phone for the "appointment" each time.
    He is a qualified doctor and there is a campaign to get all healthcare workers available back into the system.This isn't about politics, it's about the fact that he is qualified and available to do a necessary job.He was a doctor before he was a politician, and most likely will to go back to being a doctor again at some point.Why wouldn't he volunteer?

Hard to disagree with that, but what do you think the odds are that Leo will have a squad of photographers taking lots of glossy images of him for the added PR he can squeeze into it?

He's to be commended for setting an example, but he would have been commended even more had he of done this on the QT.

I'm aware some people will view me as cynical, or a naysayer etc, I'm ok with that though.

This has Concannon written all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Rosita wrote: »
    At one level I would be tempted to say fair play to him but I wouldn't see it as a sign of leadership. Leadership would be staying where he is in the Taoiseach's office until there's another elected and providing leadership in that role at a time when it's badly needed. I don't hate FG but am convinced that Varadker takes no action that is not informed by PR. Otherwise he could have employed one more doctor and stayed where he was.

Isn't he doing that too?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

Yes, even if it is spin. It's a good message.

Disagree. That's like when people worry that speaking the truth might encourage complacency.

Given that people are too sophisticated to fall for obvious propaganda, why do they seem to demand it anyway?

Morale, I suppose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Fair play to Leo, a true leader will fight and save lives in the front line.
    I have to say he's probably surprised a lot of people.

A true leader won't jump ship when its sinking, and political policies aside he's getting a thumbs up from me.

Well done Leo

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

Maybe we should send Leo over to look after Boris in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I was told many years ago by someone close to me that Leo wasn't a nice guy. They were helping his party handing out flyers and other random stuff. The word "bollocks" was used ;)

So am sure this is solely done to help his political career as opposed to it satisfying his need to "help"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭Dorakman

I was told many years ago by someone close to me that Leo wasn't a nice guy. They were helping his party handing out flyers and other random stuff.

So am sure this is solely done to help his political career as opposed to it satisfying his need to "help"

I know someone who went to college with him who says the opposite. Very pleasant, extremely hardworking, slightly aloof, but friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

I think it demonstrates leadership, not just here but also on the world stage.

The story is already being picked up internationally.

It might inspire some people to volunteer with their own domestic health service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

Wish my previous managers got stuck in. He knows what he’s going into and still he’s going. He will see people die and will suffer abuse from frustration. Maybe if he were to catch it and succumb fatally, it would also be seen as a PR stunt. With all the crap going on, people still have to have a dig at people trying to help out.
    Imagine gasping for air, thinking that there is a chance you are going to die, surrounded by strangers equally scared. Tired, exhausted and wanting to see someone Special just one more time. I would be glad, maybe relax a little for a minute of medical attention from a doctor that has been freed up, directly as a result of his intervention.
    Why would you think it’s good and helping to have a dig at someone practicing what they preach on top of everything else they are dealing with. It’s the same as other having a go at the script for putting on a free concert because the poster didn’t like them, but hey, that could also be a PR stunt. Maybe if everyone that is helping out, just didn’t, cause that could be seen as bragging rights or looking for favours returned in the future.
    Some people say that you should measure a person how they perform under pressure, I think, looking at other bigger nations, he’s doing better and more. A lot more than me and everyone I know, but then again, some posters might say it’s because I don’t need the PR now.

Advertisement