Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr. Leo Varadkar rejoins the health service

Options

Comments

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Your damned if you do ………………….

...is worth two in the bush.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

s1ippy wrote: »
    Are you kidding me.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-varadkar-returns-to-practising-medicine-to-help-during-crisis-1.4221463?mode=amp

"It is understood the Taoiseach is helping out in phone assessments. Anyone who may have been exposed to Covid-19 is initially assessed over the phone rather than in person, to curb the spread of the virus."

What a waste of time and PPE putting him into any sort of protective gear. He hasn't practiced medicine in over a decade and he never spent time working in a hospital in any meaningful way when he was a registered doctor.

I swear, do you have functioning logical faculties.

You do realize that many who haven't practiced in over a decade have been asked to help? You were with him as a supervisor throughout his time in medicine I presume to be able to make a judgement on whatever he did in a hospital.

I presume with the aggressive tone hand on each arse cheek and talking through center you're one of those who would damn him no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,862 ✭✭✭✭anewme

smurgen wrote: »
    Yes they would have taken hard decisions like stopping flights from Northern Italy and closing nursing homes to visitors unlike FG who are now scrambling to contain the situation after moving too late. Closing the gate after the horse has bolted has lead to massive clusters related to these two bad decisions alone.

Op s post reads very two faced. He posted 3 weeks ago about going to Milan Northern Italy and intended to go with his family up to the end. He said if his family showed no signs of it, then they were ok, he clearly did not give a fvk about anyone else's.

When flights were cancelled, he said it worked out better and went to Cheltenham instead to win some money on the "nags" and boasted carelessly that if work stopped him from going , they would have to pay him.

He and others sneered at me for expressing concerns to HR about not wanting to work beside those fools who only cared about themselves. My reasons for concern, was that I had a vulnerable family member, who unfortunately is now ill.

Now this evening, I am stunned and angry to open this thread and read the brazen blatant 360 degree about turn pontificating about leadership and how great Leo is, looking for thanks. Unbelievable.

I would respectfully ask the OP to re read his posts in that thread and stand over what he said previously and ask why it differs 200 percent to what he says now?

Is it because the likes of him were let back in from Cheltenham carte blanche to infect everyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

They closed nursing homes at the very start. I know this myself through family so that's bull crap. They closed before anything else.

Banning flights in to an island carries unforeseen risks which you seem to be suggesting shinners would rush in to.

This is the problem with people who can't lead.

You have to balance the pros and cons of every decision.

SF couldn't run a corner shop. Everyone knows it, even shinners!

You're a liar. March 11th :

There are now thirty four confirmed cases of COVID 19 in Ireland.

The Department says social interaction is a key part of health and well-being among nursing home residents.

"Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan says it's too soon to restrict visiting"

http://www.redfm.ie/news/coronavirus/department-of-health-blanket-ban-on-visitors-to-hospitals-and-nursing-homes-amid-coronavirus-unnecessary/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

I work in the front line and a lot of my colleagues were deployed to jobs such as contract tracing. You don't need to be a doctor to be able to carry out the duties of the role. I think the government has done a reasonable job thus far and it's mainly the Irish people who deserve credit for adhering to guidelines and slowing down the spread of this virus. The hse really messed up in the ordering of ppe and are a disgrace for putting the frontline workers at risk. It didn't really surprise me either as they can't manage numbers on trolleys in a+e throughout the year. In addition there is still confusion over support for childcare for workers and I'm not hopeful of a decent outcome to this problem. Apologies for going off on a tangent.

Is Leo doing a good job? If you look at the various press conferences over the last few weeks, I don't really pay much heed to what him or Harris say. The main guy to listen to is Dr. Holohan. He tells it as it is. Leo is a crowd pleaser with very little substance. He is told what to say. Bertie, enda kenny etc would have done the exact same. He was doing his job up until today.
    But this is a pure pr stunt. Is he doing this for the good of the Irish people? If he stuck to his job he would be serving his people. Instead he is helping out with contract tracing. Not sure for how many hours a day. The press have sensationalized the story like he going working on the frontline in the icu's.
    All I can say is well done the Irish people, not just healthcare workers for all doing our part. Unfortunately in the future I can see a covid tax and we'll all be bearing the brunt of the fall out from this virus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Im a miserable bastard who would like us to have a full time Taoiseach.

If Leo wants to help out as a doctor I would applaud him for it but he should do one or the other.

Do you know the full details yet? Maybe he's doing this in his free time. Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Klonker wrote: »
    Fair dues to him. He probably thought it would be hypocritical of him to ask former front line staff to return and for him to not put his own shoulder to the wheel.

Shoulder to the receiver is more applicable in this case.

They closed nursing homes at the very start. I know this myself through family so that's bull crap. They closed before anything else.

Banning flights in to an island carries unforeseen risks which you seem to be suggesting shinners would rush in to.

This is the problem with people who can't lead.

You have to balance the pros and cons of every decision.

SF couldn't run a corner shop. Everyone knows it, even shinners!

Yes they did close the nursing homes very early.

However, there were extreme concerns about Northern Italy, the Rugby people and Cheltenham. These were bad decisions by the Govt.

However, I do believe they are doing their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

anewme wrote: »
    Yes they did close the nursing homes very early.

However, there were extreme concerns about Northern Italy, the Rugby people and Cheltenham. These were bad decisions by the Govt.

However, I do believe they are doing their best.
    Agreed.
    Of course they are doing their best and there's plenty they have done and will do wrong. If ff or sf were the governing party the same would be true too. Unfortunately there would be a similar number on boards claiming whatever political party are in power are useless. Too many people are just blinkered and will support ff / fg / sf to the hilt and call foul of whatever any other party does.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

McMurphy wrote: »
    Hard to disagree with that, but what do you think the odds are that Leo will have a squad of photographers taking lots of glossy images of him for the added PR he can squeeze into it?.

The leader of a country being photographed at work? Whatever next?

Yeah, he definitely should have said nothing and no one would have ever noticed any of this.............

There wouldn't have been anything leaked about his name going back on the medical register........

Suppose we can sum up the thread with : He should do more while also doing nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

whether this is genuine or just a stunt. The health service was in crisis before Covid 19, housing a disgrace, effecting hundreds of thousands. Massive societal cost. I dont care what he does, this is not going to make me overlook, years of doing nothing...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Idbatterim wrote: »
    ... this is not going to make me overlook, years of doing nothing...

And it shouldn't....

But that doesn't mean we can't acknowledge when he does something good.

I'm far from a fan of the blue shirts, but they've been good over the last few weeks.

Leo being prepared to go back into medicine at a time when we need every doctor that we can get, can only be a good thing. I certainly appreciate him doing it and only wish there were more doctors in the Dail, who might follow his lead.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

garrettod wrote: »
    And it shouldn't....

But that doesn't mean we can't acknowledge when he does something good.

I'm far from a fan of the blue shirts, but they've been good over the last few weeks.

Leo being prepared to go back into medicine at a time when we need every doctor that we can get, can only be a good thing. I certainly appreciate him doing it and only wish there were more doctors in the Dail, who might follow his lead.

He's answering the phones. If they put an ad out saying we desperately need 500 people to spend time answering phones and reading questions off a script they would be inundated with 10's of thousands of people willing to do it.

When I was about 20 I worked in a Bord Gais call centre where one of the duties was taking calls from people who's boilers weren't working. We had suggested questions to ask and depending on the customers answer we had specific options to choose to resolve their problem, or get an engineer out to them. What Leo is volunteering to do is absolutely no different to this.

If he was going into a hospital ward and working in his junior doctor role again I would pay him his respects, but he is not. This is PR from him, nothing more.

FG were destroyed at the election for a reason, DURING a boom, that takes some bloody failure, dont forget that!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

I aint no Fine Gael fanboy but the Leo bashing is turning in rabble rousing now, "God hes going back to being a doctor, god hes visiting a medical warehouse, god hes in the laboratory where theyre testing the viruses" If he was nowhere to be seen people would be saying hes missing in action, where is our leader etc.

Also all the likes of people like Conor Mcgregor and that Web summit guy all amount to just populist guff

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Ludikrus

This is going to boil some blood. What a move though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,525 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Damned if he does. Damned if he doesn't.

Ludikrus wrote: »
    This is going to boil some blood. What a move though!

if he was already a good leader, this would be the icing on the cake! the guys is a spectacular fraud, many will just see it as a cynical move. I see it as way too little, way too late!

You cant gloss over several years of colossal human cost, during a boom, presided over by him!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Whelo79 wrote: »
    He's sitting in a room answering phones. You or I could do that?

And give medical advice? No, you could not.

200px-Nick_Riviera.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Its like one of those hunzo bunzo instagram wannabe types who do a stint collecting for the homeless one night and instagram and facebook it to death to show their virtue to the World for the next few years.

Shameless publicity stunt.

The man wants to stay put in his job as Taoisesch and knows how to play the media and public like a fiddle.

Selfless Saint Leo is the message being pushed here.

So Facebook'ish of a post.. it's sad how it's managing to morph it's way into boards.ie.
    Some people are actually acting Facebook'ish in person,in public etc. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

So Facebook'ish of a post.. it's sad how it's managing to morph it's way into boards.ie.
    Some people are actually acting Facebook'ish in person,in public etc. :rolleyes:

I think that more applies to OP, to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lonesomerhodes

Facebookish? That a word nowadays with ye millenials? The new lexicon dazzles me and makes me feel old even though Im not. Suppose early 30's is ancient to you young un's.

Hunzo bunzo was tongue in cheek; obviously lost in written text.

I rarely use facebook and only reason Im on it is for my side business. Would have left them ages ago accept you need a personal page to be an administrator on a business page with them. Thats a rule with them. Feck all on mine!.
    House always wins!.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Stanford wrote: »
    We elected FG to lead the Government and they elected Vlad to be Taoiseach, not a medical doctor.

Another silly FG stunt, we need leadership now, not Vlad playing silly buggers
    You are aware that this kind of thing makes you come across as a bit of a tool?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

I saw something going around Facebook last week asking why Leo wasn't practicing what he was preaching when the government requested retired health service workers sign back up.

I'm guessing the same people that shared that will call this a PR stunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Nitrogan

She has definitely got more time on her hands than the acting Taoiseach so this is a great opportunity for Mary-Lou to assist with her previous experience as a ...er.... eh... what did Mary-Lou do for a living?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

Rosita wrote: »
    He has never preached that everyone should join the health service. He happens to be a doctor that's all.

As for managers getting stuck in...………...well, managers manage. The manager of Tesco is not a great manager because he stacks the shelves. His job is to ensure that there are shelves to be stacked and people to stack them.

The Taoiseach presided over an administration which had record numbers on trollies in hospitals. He didn't go back to work in a hospital then to help out because that wouldn't be solving the problem. What he's doing now won't solve the problem either. Instead he'll just bring a whole lot of fuss, photographers, and security around when he arrives at a hospital.

He'd be better served doing the very onerous and time-consuming job that he was appointed to do instead of trying to pretend that he can take on another onerous and time-consuming job at the same time.

He asked anyone that could help medically to come back to the profession. Him doing so is practicing what they preach. Dont think they'll allow photographers in a highly contagious ward under the circumstances, if they do, then it would be somewhat hypocritical as they wouldn't be an essential worker under the circumstances. Comparing a manager stacking shelves to a doctor saving lives, I feel, does not represent a fair comparison. He could have delegated some minor jobs to free up his time, I dont know, but I doubt it would be a case of the country will be grand if I go do this for a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Leo has really triggered them tonight. And their fish wife still hiding under the duvet with a head cold.
    She’s only sulking now that her crawling to FG/FF didn’t work. :D

Do you ever think you might harbour some rather sexist viewpoints?

You don't have to like MLM, but that's cheapshot sh*te. It's akin to using Leo Varadkar's part-Indian heritage to have a pot-shot at him (which is equally abhorrent).

Clean up your act.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

He's done more than the idiots in charge of USA, UK, Sweden Brazil and a few other countries

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Damned if he does. Damned if he doesn't.

Not true. This thread is littered with posters who despise FG and their track record, yet are willing to recognise that FG have done a reasonable job so far. I don’t agree but the the sentiments have been expressed regularly enough.
    derfderf wrote: »
    I saw something going around Facebook last week asking why Leo wasn't practicing what he was preaching when the government requested retired health service workers sign back up.

I'm guessing the same people that shared that will call this a PR stunt.

Apart from the mouthpiece on NT, who was asking ? I haven’t noticed this on a any discussion fora. Most intelligent people seem to understand that Leo already has one of the most demanding jobs in the country and that he shouldn't have time to spend a day a week manning a phone line that any pleb could man. He if he does have a spare day every week he’s probably not doing it right.
    matchthis wrote: »
    He asked anyone that could help medically to come back to the profession. Him doing so is practicing what they preach. Dont think they'll allow photographers in a highly contagious ward under the circumstances, if they do, then it would be somewhat hypocritical as they wouldn't be an essential worker under the circumstances. Comparing a manager stacking shelves to a doctor saving lives, I feel, does not represent a fair comparison. He could have delegated some minor jobs to free up his time, I dont know, but I doubt it would be a case of the country will be grand if I go do this for a bit

This post demonstrates how effective this propaganda is on the more gullible sections of Irish society. As has been stated many many times on this thread, he won’t be in any wards let alone highly contagious ones and he won’t be facing any dangers. He’s doing contact tracing which can be done by literally anyone and really doesn’t require the Taoiseach to give up a day a week out of leading the country so he can look good.

Working PR in Irish politics must be the easiest job in the world with the amount of gullibility displayed on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Yurt! wrote: »
    Do you ever think you might harbour some rather sexist viewpoints?

You don't have to like MLM, but that's cheapshot sh*te. It's akin to using Leo Varadkar's part-Indian heritage to have a pot-shot at him (which is equally abhorrent).

Clean up your act.

From the dictionary:
    fish-wife: coarse-mannered woman who is prone to shouting.

Nothing sexist about it. Thats exactly what she is.

Advertisement