Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr. Leo Varadkar rejoins the health service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Nitrogan

From the dictionary:
    fish-wife: coarse-mannered woman who is prone to shouting.

Nothing sexist about it. Thats exactly what she is.

She's a "Good Republican" though that's what's important

like her friends Thomas "Slab" Murphy, Pease McAuley, Nessan Quinlivan..etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

From the dictionary:
    fish-wife: coarse-mannered woman who is prone to shouting.

Nothing sexist about it. Thats exactly what she is.

Yeah sure thing.

Clean it up. Low ball sexist comment and you know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

The levels of gullibility around this issue are difficult to fathom.

We need Leo to be a Taoiseach right now, not manning a phone line.

The optics of this were obviously to good to pass up for Leo’s PR team and it appears to have worked given many of the responses on here but I don’t understand how the leader of our country can give up 1 full working day every week to man a phone line, while were in the middle of a national and global crisis.

The only way it makes sense is if it’s just a PR stunt.
    I tend to agree.
    I'd go one step further - LV should return temporarily to the actual frontline and let someone like Coveney be acting Taoiseach, if he really wants to help.
    Surely Coveney can take direction from the CMO and medical experts just as LV has been doing.
    Meanwhile, the good doctor increases the manpower where the nation actually needs it.
    I'd applaud that with vigour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

We need Leo to be a Taoiseach right now, not manning a phone line.
    What a topsy turvy crisis.

The people who most definitely do not want Leo to be a Taoiseach right now or anytime complaining that we do need Leo to be a Taoiseach right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Very cynical of Leo to use the pandemic to perform an electioneering stunt like this.
    Doubtless the national broadcaster will on a moment's standby with cameras ready.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

Idbatterim wrote: »
    if he was already a good leader, this would be the icing on the cake! the guys is a spectacular fraud, many will just see it as a cynical move. I see it as way too little, way too late!

You cant gloss over several years of colossal human cost, during a boom, presided over by him!

But it wasn't a boom when he started. In fact FG and Enda Kenny (remember him) inherited an economy in tatters and mass unemployment. Your framing is simply untrue along with the silly hyperbole "colossal human cost" ffs...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Allinall

BluePlanet wrote: »
    Very cynical of Leo to use the pandemic to perform an electioneering stunt like this.
    Doubtless the national broadcaster will on a moment's standby with cameras ready.

Is there an election coming up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Phoebas wrote: »
    What a topsy turvy crisis.

The people who most definitely do not want Leo to be a Taoiseach right now or anytime complaining that we do need Leo to be a Taoiseach right now.

Agreed. I find it odd that I’m arguing in favour of Leo being Taoiseach for now but until he drops the school yard antics of speaking to everyone but SF we’re stuck with him.

We had an election 2 months ago. If Leo has a whole day to spare in his weekly schedule then I’d suggest he’s not trying hard enough to form a government.

Our priorities should be managing this crisis and forming a government, not getting more likes on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Lots of nurses and doctors have come out of retirement to help out, I think it's a good example to set and shows that nobody is above it. It's also top Mark's for wumming his haters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Stanford wrote: »
    We elected FG to lead the Government and they elected Vlad to be Taoiseach, not a medical doctor.

Another silly FG stunt, we need leadership now, not Vlad playing silly buggers

FG came third in the race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There's a group of people that will never be able to see the decency in something like this. If Varadkar taking just one shift means that a tired and overworked Doctor can get a break, it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Field east

She has much to offer, pity she is in quarantine.

Her quarantine should not outlast the schedule of the virus so she will have plenty of time to offer her services to the national effort to fight the virus

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Even though it's a blatant PR move, I still can't find fault with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

There's a group of people that will never be able to see the decency in something like this. If Varadkar taking just one shift means that a tired and overworked Doctor can get a break, it's worth it.

It’s contact tracing and I’m guessing the tired and over worked person who would have to train him in for that one shift might not be all that thankful.

I applaud everyone who has genuinely gone back into medical roles to help out those on the front line but that’s not what’s happening here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

If it’s not a publicity stunt he should forgo the (inevitable) photo op

But you know he won’t

Concannon strikes again.

It’s a publicity stunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PyreOfHellfire

Not a FG voter myself but fair play to him. I tend to be of the opinion that if someone is doing something helpful for the wrong reason then the intent behind the act doesn't outweight the positive outcome from the act itself. It's almost certainly both a PR stunt and an empathetic action on Leo's part but the outcome is all that matters. He's showing leadership, bravery and pragmatism. Can't fault him for that in anyway. Also let's be honest, if FG won an outright majority in the last election he wouldn't be doing this right now so those trying to say this is in no way a PR stunt and is entirely an act of selflessness, well, I have a bag of magic beans I'd like to sell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

If it encourages someone else to do 1 hour of work with the HSE then fcuk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭collywobble7

Nitrogan wrote:

She's not though..she's an opportunist with no morals who joined SF when she realised she wouldn't get anywhere in the established political parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Allinall wrote: »
    Is there an election coming up?
    Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Yurt! wrote: »
    Yeah sure thing.

Clean it up. Low ball sexist comment and you know it.

She is a coarse-mannered woman who is prone to shouting. this is known as a fish wife. Nothing to clean up.
    The snowflakes are really triggered by Leo. He must be doing something right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Will he be referred to / addressed as An Taoiseach Dr Leo Varadker from now on?

KiKi III wrote: »
    Isn't he doing that too?
    Well he can’t go racing or eating out in expensive restaurants, cutting ribbons to launch a new company or programme, talk to old ladies on the street, attend Sports events- especially GAA matches and with a CAMERAMAN/REPORTER along , so he has to do something so why not do something connected to his professional training.
    Of course no other leader would NOT DREAM ever of exploiting what they do, inside or outside of politics, for publicity , PR or photo opportunity reasons . It would be the furtherest thing from their minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

Personally, I wouldn't want anyone else in charge of the country at this time. Kudos to Leo, Simon et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Nitrogan wrote: »

like her friends Thomas "Slab" Murphy, Pease McAuley, Nessan Quinlivan..etc.
    A few weeks in isolation topping up with Jaffa Cakes will prepare her well for another four years in opposition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

I was told many years ago by someone close to me that Leo wasn't a nice guy. They were helping his party handing out flyers and other random stuff. The word "bollocks" was used ;)

So am sure this is solely done to help his political career as opposed to it satisfying his need to "help"

A likely story yep. I feel like this is a modern version of 'my uncle works at Nintendo'. Utter nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 14,037 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Runaways wrote: »

But you know he won’t

Concannon strikes again.

It’s a publicity stunt.

It’s a hell of a publicity stunt.

At time of medical crisis, qualified but non practicing Doctor re-joins Hospital to treat patients, and considering medical staff are most at risk, put himself in danger.

I didn’t vote for him, I will the next time.

I was told many years ago by someone close to me that Leo wasn't a nice guy. They were helping his party handing out flyers and other random stuff. The word "bollocks" was used ;)

So am sure this is solely done to help his political career as opposed to it satisfying his need to "help"

“One case makes bad law “ comes to mind. I had an uncle once that a close neighbour of mine said to me that he was very mean and stingy -so not a nice man. But the same man could not do enough for his sisters and brothers and the local and national community with the giving of his time way way beyond the call to duty.
    It’s so so so dangerous to extrapolate from one or a very small number of cases. Anyway , you have put your opinion out there in the hope that it will get legs or what? I would be interested to know why you posted what what you said GIVEN THETIMESTHAT WE ARE IN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Well with that kind of concrete evidence we may as well close the thread :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Runaways wrote: »

But you know he won’t

Concannon strikes again.

It’s a publicity stunt.

What's your great contribution to all this? Just wipe the dribble off your chin and watch more Netflix like a good boy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    What's your great contribution to all this? Just wipe the dribble off your chin and watch more Netflix like a good boy.

A 2 post wonder.

Tell us again how FG arent employing finnerbots?

Advertisement