Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr. Leo Varadkar rejoins the health service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

KiKi III wrote: »
    Sometimes an idea is both a PR opportunity and the right thing to do. This is one of those times.
    this in a nutshell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

The shinner bots are out this evening.

Leo has really triggered them tonight. And their fish wife still hiding under the duvet with a head cold.
    She’s only sulking now that her crawling to FG/FF didn’t work. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,863 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The shinner bots are out this evening.

The OP sums up why people dont trust FG though. It's very much do as I say not as I do. If he is FG supporter, it does not give much credibility.

Someone who had to be physically stopped going to Northern Italy, but boasting going to Cheltenham despite concerns and probably infecting half the Country, he is a poor poster boy and posting for thanks.

It was a huge mistake to let those reckless Cheltenham people back in. The fact that one of them (OP) is now pontificating about leadership is an insult to any of us with family members impacted by this horrible virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Considering how insistent they were on referring to Ian Paisley as "Dr." on foot of an honorary degree, I'm curious why Unionists up North don't always refer to "Dr. Varadkar"....

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭bunderoon

aido79 wrote: »
    There really is some bitter begrudgers in this country.

Who are the bitter begrudgers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

A shameful publicity stunt that many will fall for unfortunately. Varadkar is one cute fecker though so fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Im not a Leo fan at all, I think he's taken FG far too left and is more concerned with twitter likes than good economic policy, but my christ if he actually sticks to this and its not just a 1 and done photo op , then fair play, a serious commitment from him and absolutely something I'd like to see more where getting re-elected isn't a politicians only skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

The levels of gullibility around this issue are difficult to fathom.

We need Leo to be a Taoiseach right now, not manning a phone line.

The optics of this were obviously to good to pass up for Leo’s PR team and it appears to have worked given many of the responses on here but I don’t understand how the leader of our country can give up 1 full working day every week to man a phone line, while were in the middle of a national and global crisis.

The only way it makes sense is if it’s just a PR stunt.

Exactly, and he was a **** minister of health

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

It's the most upvoted news story on Reddit world news at the moment.

j2xgZyy.png?1

In the era of 'so shocking it's no longer shocking' news headlines featuring your Trumps, Bolsonaros and Dutertes, it's refreshing to see this kind of news whether it's from one of our own or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Exactly, and he was a **** minister of health

whens the last time we had a good one ?
    its the poison chalice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭VonLuck

The levels of gullibility around this issue are difficult to fathom.

We need Leo to be a Taoiseach right now, not manning a phone line.

The optics of this were obviously to good to pass up for Leo’s PR team and it appears to have worked given many of the responses on here but I don’t understand how the leader of our country can give up 1 full working day every week to man a phone line, while were in the middle of a national and global crisis.

The only way it makes sense is if it’s just a PR stunt.

Obviously it's optics, everything in politics is,but how is it actually hurting anyone? He's literally helping others!

Good to see a bit of positivity in the news that our elected officials are doing all they can to help, even if it's for PR. Will no doubt improve overall morale of people working in the health care system.

You'd have to be some miserable bastard to make this out to be a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

In the era of 'so shocking it's no longer shocking' news headlines featuring your Trumps, Bolsonaros and Dutertes, it's refreshing to see this kind of news whether it's from one of our own or not.

It’s only refreshing if you’re fooled by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Im not a Leo fan at all, I think he's taken FG far too left and is more concerned with twitter likes than good economic policy, but my christ if he actually sticks to this and its not just a 1 and done photo op , then fair play, a serious commitment from him and absolutely something I'd like to see more where getting re-elected isn't a politicians only skill.

He's sitting in a room answering phones. You or I could do that?

KiKi III wrote: »
    Sometimes an idea is both a PR opportunity and the right thing to do. This is one of those times.

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Ferm001 wrote: »
    Fair play to him, but plays a bit as a publicity stunt.

Bigger risk is him becoming infected, and taking half the government into isolation.

What risk???? :confused:

Unless COVID-19 is transferrable over the phone he is at no risk at all. He's performing over-the-phone screening, although him taking out the rest of the government would be welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

touts wrote: »
    He qualified as a GP two years after he was elected to the Dail and never actually practiced. At least one of the jobs wasn't being done properly. After 10+ years in politics I doubt his skill set has gotten any better. At this point his medical qualifications are one step removed from an honorary doctorate. No way I would want to be treated by him.

He is the leader of the country. Generals don't fight in the Frontline anymore neither should he. Maybe he should sit in on the next call with the Chinese PPE supplier rather than posing for the inevitable photo op of him wearing the stuff.

There is no mention of him volunteering in general practice. It is being reported that he has offered to work for the HSE in areas within the scope of his practice.

That could be any number of disciplines he may have worked in while a hospital doctor, emergency, general surgery, geriatrics, pediatrics etc or it could be as relief for other hospital doctors or simply manning a phoneline for the ill or anxious.

In fact, I think whatever role he is doing should not raise any risk of him getting the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

VonLuck wrote: »
    You'd have to be some miserable bastard to make this out to be a bad thing.

Im a miserable bastard who would like us to have a full time Taoiseach.

If Leo wants to help out as a doctor I would applaud him for it but he should do one or the other.

jim salter wrote: »

Unless COVID-19 is transferrable over the phone he is at no risk at all. He's performing over-the-phone screening, although him taking out the rest of the government would be welcomed.

Speak for yourself, you small minded oaf.

I don't agree with him doing it, but I'm not being like you about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

jim salter wrote: »

Lovely. Hope none of your loved ones meet a bad fate with the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Fair dues to him. He probably thought it would be hypocritical of him to ask former front line staff to return and for him to not put his own shoulder to the wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

BanditLuke wrote: »
    A shameful publicity stunt that many will fall for unfortunately. Varadkar is one cute fecker though so fair play to him.

Ok I know most politics related threads are full of posters so entrenched with whatever political party that there is no reasoning (goes for die hard supporters of fg, ff, sf etc ).
    However imagine you are Leo and want a good publicity stunt, would you
    a) man a telephone for one day a week - you have the necessary qualifications and experience and can be of use.
    b) Turn up in a hazmat suit regularly in covid hubs or ICU wards perhaps even do it once a week.

I think any publicity stunt would be going with b all day long. Ive not read most posts tonight or spent too long on twitter but plenty taking the piss that hes only answering a phone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Klonker wrote: »
    Fair dues to him. He probably thought it would be hypocritical of him to ask former front line staff to return and for him to not put his own shoulder to the wheel.

Concannon told him to do it and he figured "yeah my self-satisfaction rating will go through the roof. I'll probably be upvoted on Reddit until it's the top world news story. And I'll just be doing contract tracing in my office, it's completely risk-free!"

His colleagues and the mandarian wouldn't let him even consider doing B, so its not relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

touts wrote: »
    He qualified as a GP two years after he was elected to the Dail and never actually practiced. At least one of the jobs wasn't being done properly. After 10+ years in politics I doubt his skill set has gotten any better. At this point his medical qualifications are one step removed from an honorary doctorate. No way I would want to be treated by him.

I suggest you should read what he's doing before commenting.

It would ensure that you don't write stupidity

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Could you imagine the disaster we would be in if SF were in govt?

It does not bare thinking about.

Yes they would have taken hard decisions like stopping flights from Northern Italy and closing nursing homes to visitors unlike FG who are now scrambling to contain the situation after moving too late. Closing the gate after the horse has bolted has lead to massive clusters related to these two bad decisions alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Etc

smurgen wrote: »
    Yes they would have taken hard decisions like stopping flights from Northern Italy and closing nursing homes to visitors unlike FG who are now scrambling to contain the situation after moving too late. Closing the gate after the horse has bolted has lead to massive clusters related to these two bad decisions alone.

Course they would..........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Ok I know most politics related threads are full of posters so entrenched with whatever political party that there is no reasoning (goes for die hard supporters of fg, ff, sf etc ).
    However imagine you are Leo and want a good publicity stunt, would you
    a) man a telephone for one day a week - you have the necessary qualifications and experience and can be of use.
    b) Turn up in a hazmat suit regularly in covid hubs or ICU wards perhaps even do it once a week.

I think any publicity stunt would be going with b all day long. Ive not read most posts tonight or spent too long on twitter but plenty taking the piss that hes only answering a phone.
    Are you kidding me.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-varadkar-returns-to-practising-medicine-to-help-during-crisis-1.4221463?mode=amp

"It is understood the Taoiseach is helping out in phone assessments. Anyone who may have been exposed to Covid-19 is initially assessed over the phone rather than in person, to curb the spread of the virus."

What a waste of time and PPE putting him into any sort of protective gear. He hasn't practiced medicine in over a decade and he never spent time working in a hospital in any meaningful way when he was a registered doctor.

I swear, do you have functioning logical faculties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

s1ippy wrote: »
    Are you kidding me.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-varadkar-returns-to-practising-medicine-to-help-during-crisis-1.4221463?mode=amp

"It is understood the Taoiseach is helping out in phone assessments. Anyone who may have been exposed to Covid-19 is initially assessed over the phone rather than in person, to curb the spread of the virus."

What a waste of time and PPE putting him into any sort of protective gear. He hasn't practiced medicine in over a decade and he never spent time working in a hospital in any meaningful way when he was a registered doctor.

I swear, do you have functioning logical faculties.

He spent 4 years working in hospitals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Your damned if you do ………………….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

smurgen wrote: »

They closed nursing homes at the very start. I know this myself through family so that's bull crap. They closed before anything else.

Banning flights in to an island carries unforeseen risks which you seem to be suggesting shinners would rush in to.

This is the problem with people who can't lead.

You have to balance the pros and cons of every decision.

SF couldn't run a corner shop. Everyone knows it, even shinners!

Advertisement