Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

shouldn’t risk the likes of comer, kelly or Walsh on Sunday.let the younger lads have a go at winning Connaught.

Win or lose it will stand to them. Potentially seven games left after Sunday…….a big and fit panel needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭flasher0030

The group placing can make a big difference. Mayo played Galway in one of those prelim qualifiers last year because they came undone against Cork (I think). Then the following week, they had to take on Dublin in the quarter final proper. Lasted with them until half time. But then collapsed in second half. Much of the collapse would be from fatigue. The group games were week after week, then the prelim qualifier and then the quarter final. I think it makes a big difference to come first or second. And avoid that qualifier game. It then gives 2 weeks to get over the group matches, and get legs freshened and clear up some niggly injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Robson99

Mayo wouldnt have beaten Dublin even with a Months break

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭flasher0030

• Registered Users Posts: 4,674 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭MattressRick

That's crazy talk. They'd be beaten out the gate I'm front of a big crowd and big TV audience. How good would that be then for their confidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Strongest team/bench in a long time. Think it's down to McDaid and Tomo missing along with the two lads travelling.

Whichever way it goes a good few of these need minutes. So hopefully things can improve (drastically) in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭MfMan

Nice to see the promising Sam O'Neill make the bench and Tierney return to it. D'Arcy and Maher in the same team is unnecessary, though Maher will be midfield I'm sure. HB the same, which is a concern; Daly lucky to retain. This line really needs to concentrate on defensive duties. Don't think Sean Fitz is the long-term solution at no. 3 either, can be a bit loose also.

Maher and D'Arcy makes me think we won't see much inventiveness off the tee for restarts.....

On the flip side is if Mayo do do thier press for restarts (which the are very good at) and Glesson bombs long with Galway dominating the skies it does give a platform for moving forward quickly with little cover (ala Donegal vs Derry)

Mayo team/bench is as strong as they are so it's a huge ask in my eyes but you never know. These games can take on a life of their own.

If we make it to a quarter final (provisional quarter final) with everyone fit and minutes under their belt thats as much as I hope for. Win Sunday would be great but the first part is the most important.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Worthwent14

I worry about the lack of pace in our half back line. Would have preferred O Flaherty starting. Odd that Cunningham isn't on the bench. We don't have much fire power save for maybe sweeney and O Curraoin. Hard to see Tierney making an impression after so long out? Mayo have a better panel so would fancy them.

• Advertisement

I dunno about Mayo's scoring power off the bench. Two O'Connor's only but maybe Cillian might get a point or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Worthwent14

Towey, and Touhy are quick and can score. McLaughlin and Hession are rapid and can punch holes. Not to mention the danger of the 2 O'Connor's. Our first 15 can match mayo but our bench is the issue. Apart from Sweeney and O'Flaherty, no major pace.

That's fair. Lack of pace has been a big problem for Galway alright

DUblin might do Galway a favour and put them out of their misery for the year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

On present form Antrim might deliver the knock out blow. Either way it's the end of the line for Shefflin and a number of the older players.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,968 ✭✭✭threeball

I definitely wouldn't be betting on them to win either of those games. After the performance last week against a pretty poor KK team the sooner the end comes the better. I shudder to think how much money was wasted on Shefflin over his tenure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Jizique

U20 lose at home to Ros, turning into a poor weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Great game. Was in Castlebar though. Tomorrow could be the disappointing one at home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Unfortunately, can't see it getting any better tomorrow!

Same as the footballers against Sligo. F*****g workrate. Nothing to do with talent. Simple workrate. Even as things were "tipping along" in the first half you could tell we were in huge trouble. Most strolling around. Wexford simply had to outfight us and they did it in spades.

I'll pick some small positives. Negatives I'd be here a month. Fintan went toe to toe with Chin and stuck it as best he could. Niland was clinical from placed balls.

Two Cooneys and Fahy about the only ones to take a bit of fight to Wexford.

Hope O Shea is OK. Very bad blow he got. Could of used his vision rather than watching "Galway ball" for 25 minutes and a man up.

• Advertisement

Roscommon with much better game plan and tactics. Galway looked clueless. Surely there are proper coaches out there that can be put in besides ex players getting the gigs

Unfortunately there are no positives to take out of the hurling. Time for us to accept we do not have the quality hurlers that other counties have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,968 ✭✭✭threeball

We certainly have as good quality as wexford have so that's no excuse. The same stuff was said before we got two good coaches in, in Cunningham and Donoghue. They played to the players strengths and we were in the mix for a decade but instead of backing Donoghue the CB cheaped out and McDonagh went on a solo run with Shefflin.

Backing a guy just on the back of his playing record is a bad bet as we've seen in both codes. Its time to put proper coaches back in charge that know how to get the best out of the players they have, rather than trying to force their idea of how they should play on to a team that's unsuited to that style. Neither team look like they want to play for their manager and that's never going to end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 laymansterms

I’m not long in the door from Wexford, had 4 hours in the car to think about this and I’m still not sure what happened. It’s as worrying a performance as I have seen in a long time. I lost count of the amount of times we were turned over. I’ll check the stats again but we didn’t even make Wexford work for their scores. The only thing is though, Wexford had this in them. They beat Kilkenny last year too.

On another note, it’s great to see Chin firing again. He’s some player.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 laymansterms

This is the annoying thing though, we do have the hurlers. Looking at our front 8 today, there are plenty of teams who would love to have those names. I know we lost Mannion but that team was well capable of putting up a big score on Wexford. We just didn’t show up and we have too many days or half’s where we just don’t show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I think this is the bitter pill we need to accept. We had 2017, and St Thomas's have done the county proud. Raphael's in Loughrea got to the schools final. I do think outside that "Loughrea heartland" though that the game is in trouble in the county.

Mannion needs to be explained. He did the full warm up. Wasn't replaced on the bench by one of the four standbys but saw no action? I

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭The Guru 123

There’s no 2 ways about it, that was an absolutely disgraceful performance. Team lacked any sort of fight or cohesion or semblance of a game plan.

The insistence on playing a short passing style is just killing them. The players don’t have the skills or the decision making to execute the right pass to the right player at the right time to be able to play that style. The amount of short passes given to a player under pressure was crazy.

What makes this even worse is Whelan and Concannon looked pretty dangerous inside when the ball was hit in direct. But they were starved of decent supply for most of the game.

It was very noticeable that the team struggled to win 50/50s all through the game. They were flat. It’s a cliche but it really did seem Wexford “wanted it more”.

The team selection is often baffling too. Can anyone offer an explanation as to why Daithi Burke and Padraic Mannion, 2 of the best in the country at full and wing back respectively have basically swapped positions for the entire period of Henry’s reign? Don’t get me wrong both are fine in their new positions but no one will tell me the team wasn’t setup better with Daithi at 3 and Padraic at 5.

We are now 3 years into Henry’s reign and most days we go out it’s guesswork as to who will play at 3,6,8,9 & 11. That’s the entire spine of the team and we’ve none of the positions properly nailed down.

We started against Kilkenny without a intercounty standard free taker. Crazy.

Some of Shefflins behaviour on the line yesterday was embarrassing. The yellow card for going ballistic over a clear free being given against Concannon was absolutely pathetic carry on.

The points in relation to the teams playing style, the lack of fight, the team selection and his conduct on the sideline I lay firmly at Henry’s door.
    I make no bones about it, I want him removed from his position asap but I appreciate it’s more likely to happen after this season. It really annoyed me the way the county board begged him to stay on for a third season despite barely winning a meaningful game in his first 2 seasons. His record is virtually identical to Shane O’Neills and he was removed. What’s the difference? Oh yes one was a superstar player.

However my final point is perhaps the biggest reason for our downfall and it’s one we can’t blame Shefflin for. Since the 2017 all Ireland win the only player to break through and establish himself as a top class intercounty player is Brian Concannon. Brian is 27 now. Where are all the 19-26 year olds and why can’t they establish themselves in the team? They just seem totally incapable of making an impression at intercounty level. The 09 and 11 all Ireland winning minor teams basically provided the backbone of our team for a decade but apart from that we have been spectacularly bad at converting star minor players into top class senior players despite plenty of success at minor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭cosatron

IS tj brennan injured or dropped off the panel

Advertisement