Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 denisfarran

AngelaRI wrote: »
    Only spotting this today, but I've a tracker on this for some time and bought 2 on Monday (I got the Video Doorbell a few weeks back so the single cams were exactly what I needed, no extra hubs required :D ) They're due to arrive today, super excited!!! :D:D

Has anyone had these set up for a while now and can give some feedback on responsiveness of motion detection-to-video? And battery life - seen some posts that's it's closer to 30 days than 180 (my doorbell battery will probably last about 100 days based on current battery level and time it's been up - first cycle)

I got the wireless doorbell on July 25th. It's now at 3/5 bars in the battery monitor.
    Added the 2c camera on August 15th. That's on 4/5 bars.
    (Bought them from Amazon.fr. Worked out cheaper than UK pricing even after adding shipping)

Both cameras averaging about 20 notifications a day. (I'm still fiddling with sensitivities on both cameras.)

On these numbers, the doorbell should be good for about 17 weeks, & the 2c should get 10 weeks, or more.

Another 2c, ordered from UK at £71.99, Monday, landed in the door this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭deezell

Amazon Alexa Smart plug in Argos reduced to €20.65

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8685111.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

Spotted these in Deals on Moore St for 8e each, packaging claims they work with Alexa & Google Home.

Might be a cheap option for anyone looking to get into home automation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

DanC90 wrote: »
    Spotted these in Deals on Moore St for 8e each, packaging claims they work with Alexa & Google Home.

I have a fire TV stick, would that be suitable alexa wise?

(sorry I'm new to all this as we just got broadband for the first time)

I have a fire TV stick, would that be suitable alexa wise?

(sorry I'm new to all this as we just got broadband for the first time)

If you have the fire stick with the Alexa voice remote then I'd imagine it should be fine but I don't own any Alexa devices so couldn't say for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

If you have the fire stick with the Alexa voice remote then I'd imagine it should be fine but I don't own any Alexa devices so couldn't say for sure.

I'm not sure myself if it's enough or do I need an echo dot etc, maybe someone could enlighten me

I'm not sure myself if it's enough or do I need an echo dot etc, maybe someone could enlighten me

If you do need one I also just seen an offer of a 3rd Gen Echo dot for 99p when you sign up to Amazon music. The article states you have to be a prime member but new to Amazon music so not quite sure how that all works, I thought Amazon music was free for prime users but again someone use to that ecosystem might be able to explain it better than I can
    https://www.standard.co.uk/tech/amazon-prime-echo-dot-deal-a4540601.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

If you do need one I also just seen an offer of a 3rd Gen Echo dot for 99p when you sign up to Amazon music. The article states you have to be a prime member but new to Amazon music so not quite sure how that all works, I thought Amazon music was free for prime users but again someone use to that ecosystem might be able to explain it better than I can
    https://www.standard.co.uk/tech/amazon-prime-echo-dot-deal-a4540601.html

This deal is now gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

TP Link Tapo Mini - £19.99

Tapo Pan Tilt - £24.99

Handy as it has Alexa and Google integration. I got rid of two older 'Chinese' IP cameras and replaced them with these. Simple setup and a reasonable picture quality. I got one to cover a blind spot that a Nest outdoor camera doesn't cover and I've just bought another one which I'll find a use for somewhere else.

Well worth the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Decided to give one of these a go as it would be nice to start replacing the engenie/MiHome equipment. Managed to get it into setup mode once (flashing bulb), but wouldn't connect via Bluetooth, and no matter how many times I flick the light switch, cannot get it back into setup mode again. Anyone else try these and have better luck? Certainly seems to be a case of 'you get what you pay for'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭ablelocks

eufycam 2c is €168.36 (after €30 voucher applied), delivered cost is 177.78 from Amazon.it
    eufy Security Camera with Spotlight is a deal of the day on amazon.de at €120, delivered cost is €135 (shipping and slightly higher vat included)

edit - corrected to amazon.it

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭comfort

ablelocks wrote: »
    eufycam 2c is €168.36 (after €30 voucher applied), delivered cost is 177.78 from Amazon.it
    eufy Security Camera with Spotlight is a deal of the day on amazon.de at €120, delivered cost is €135 (shipping and slightly higher vat included)

edit - corrected to amazon.it

Many thanks - picked one up just now and looking forward to getting it setup

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭paulbok

Bit of a pain on the wallet with just 6 weeks then to black Friday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭John mac

tp link plug amazon 8.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

22% off today (Sunday 27th) only on the Google store..
    Enter code: GOOGLEBDAY22 at checkout for a 22% discount on selected devices.

Not valid on Pixel 4a, Pixel Buds, Pixelbook Go, and Nest Aware

T&Cs
    Promotional code offer is provided by Google Commerce Limited for use on Google Store only, and subject to the following terms. Offer ends 27th of September 2020. Available only to Ireland residents aged 18 years or older with Ireland shipping addresses. User must have internet access and must have or add a form of payment at checkout, but may not be charged depending on shipping rates in your region. Promotional codes cannot be used with guest checkout, so you must be signed-in to your Google account to redeem the code. To redeem your promotional code, visit store.google.com/ie, add the desired device to your cart, enter the promotional code during checkout to receive 22% off any product on Google Store Ireland. Promotional code offer will be applied at checkout. Promotional code must be redeemed by the 27th of September 2020 or it will expire. Not valid on Pixel 4a, Pixel Buds, Pixelbook Go, and Nest Aware. Unless otherwise stated, the offer cannot be combined with other promotions. Promotional codes are non-transferable and not valid for cash or cash equivalent. Promotional codes may be redeemed only on Google Store Ireland for eligible items as allowed by applicable laws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭ted1

kmart6 wrote: »
    22% off today (Sunday 27th) only on the Google store..

Not valid on Pixel 4a, Pixel Buds, Pixelbook Go, and Nest Aware

T&Cs

Is the WiFi worth it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,193 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

ted1 wrote: »
    Is the WiFi worth it ?

Depends on what you are comparing it to ?

To a isp provided router and no other access points , yes absolutely,

To dedicated aps then a mesh system isn’t as good, although you can hardwire each puck instead of using mesh.

Also what speed are you getting from the isp at the router ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I just ordered the WiFi two component mesh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭bren2002

Does anyone have any experience with the WiFi and a Virgin box?
    I have the Virgin white router, but it's plugged into the Horizon box. The wifi consistently drops a couple of times a day, but I don't know if that's the white router or the horizon box.

If its the router then I imagine this would improve reliability, but if it's the horizon box it won't.

bren2002 wrote: »
    I have the Virgin white router, but it's plugged into the Horizon box. The wifi consistently drops a couple of times a day, but I don't know if that's the white router or the horizon box.

If its the router then I imagine this would improve reliability, but if it's the horizon box it won't.

We have Google WiFi and virgin, works a treat around the house in areas that used to have signal pockets

On a side note the UK site has max hubs down to £170 after the discount- IIRC though Google often cancel orders going to Parcel motel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The Virgin boxes are notorious for this, once you start getting near 8-10 wifi devices in the house you will get dropouts. Put it into passthrough (bridge) mode and connect another router. I connected mine to a Mikrotik router and no issues since with dropouts.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Similar experience. I upgraded to their new bundle/router and dropouts are very infrequent now. IIRC the wifi router shouldn't be feeding off the horizon box? You should have a coax- type splitter and a direct feed into the router, but irregardless, the ****ty virgin router is the likely culprit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭championc

Very often, wireless issues are caused by the old "b" mode on the 2.4ghz band being allowed.

You really want to select "n" or "g/n". You do not want to be using "b/g/n"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Is the WiFi worth it ?

Yes...
    I'm getting it for:
    • Improved reliability over the virgin router
    • Add a large number of smart home devices
    • Extra range (I have a number of WiFi cameras outside house & projector in garden)
    • Some routers struggle with my mesh 7 speaker system (hoping to get improved reliability)
    • It's Google and works with my chosen platform... Should provide a level of consistency

Supercell wrote: »
    The Virgin boxes are notorious for this, once you start getting near 8-10 wifi devices in the house you will get dropouts. Put it into passthrough (bridge) mode and connect another router. I connected mine to a Mikrotik router and no issues since with dropouts.

This hasn't been my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

I specifically got the mesh becase the virgin router is pants. it's made a world of difference. would highly recommend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭baldshin

2 X e27 white Philips Hue bulbs going in the Amazon warehouse for around €14.60 at the minute. In "like new" condition with damage to the box. I bought 6 of the bayonet version from the warehouse last week with no issues.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07SPKSVKH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_N46CFb9V0YJDY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

baldshin wrote: »
    2 X e27 white Philips Hue bulbs going in the Amazon warehouse for around €14.60 at the minute. In "like new" condition with damage to the box. I bought 6 of the bayonet version from the warehouse last week with no issues.

Anyone know the lumen rating of these bulbs? Have an IKEA 1000 LM bulb in the landing but at its lowest it's too bright as a night-light

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭boardz

Supercell wrote: »

This has been my experience. Had the router replaced and still speed issues tech came and called some department and made some channel changes. Much improved speeds since but every 3rd or 4th day speed drops from 280 to 20 and I have to reset the router which brings speed back to normal. I put in an ethernet cable to the firestick so not causing any real issues.

I have 12 devices and he said I was pushing it as the limit is 15 but the Virgin website says connect up to 50 devices!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

baldshin wrote: »

Any idea what "Lamp only" means?

Would these not be suitable for main lights?

Any idea what "Lamp only" means?

Would these not be suitable for main lights?

a lamp is what most people call a bulb. so you are getting the lamp only and not the hub

a lamp is what most people call a bulb. so you are getting the lamp only and not the hub

Lovely cheers, two sets ordered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

This is a fantastic deal from IKEA: https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/tradfri-dimmer-kit-10435926/

E27 warm white dimmable smart bulb and their button switch for a tenner. I've just gone through a bit of a faff to connect the button switch to my 8 gu10s on the kitchen, all working now with the switch, hue app and hey Google commands. Great piece of kit compared to the size and price of the hue switches although it won't change colour or between whites as far as I'm aware. Then throw in the bulb for a tenner makes a great deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Alkers wrote: »
    This is a fantastic deal from IKEA: https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/tradfri-dimmer-kit-10435926/

E27 warm white dimmable smart bulb and their button switch for a tenner. I've just gone through a bit of a faff to connect the button switch to my 8 gu10s on the kitchen, all working now with the switch, hue app and hey Google commands. Great piece of kit compared to the size and price of the hue switches although it won't change colour or between whites as far as I'm aware. Then throw in the bulb for a tenner makes a great deal

Those switches are brilliant. Recognized by Zigbee2mqtt, so you can easily integrate them into many various workflows around the house.

I use a bigger one as an additional one to control my smart tv...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭deezell

Drayton Wiser Kit3 full 3 zone smart thermostats kit for €207. 2 wireless stats plus hot water control
    https://www.screwfix.ie/p/drayton-heating-hot-water-3-channel-wiser-thermostat-control-kit/4081v

Nest Indoor camera down to €97.71 which is the best price I've ever seen it for:

https://store.google.com/product/nest_cam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Nest Indoor camera down to €97.71 which is the best price I've ever seen it for:

https://store.google.com/product/nest_cam

I wonder is there a new model coming?

• Advertisement

Pete123456 wrote: »
    I wonder is there a new model coming?

That's quite possible as it's an old model but I haven't heard anything through the various sites that speculate about new hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Teckin Smart Plugs 3 Pack is currently on sale with £6 voucher applied at checkout.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07YY9NKSF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭bobbyg

n1ck wrote: »
    Teckin Smart Plugs 3 Pack is currently on sale with £6 voucher applied at checkout.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07YY9NKSF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What do people generally use these for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

bobbyg wrote: »

In my house I have them on chargers, lamps, plugs which are hard to reach (behind the couch), the girlfriends hair straighteners so she can always check the app to make sure she switched them off! You can obviously turn them on and off via the app, either individually or a group of them, you can set times to come on or go off and I also have an Echo Dot which I can tell to turn the plugs on and off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Lamps in the sitting room and kids rooms,Christmas lights etc.

Lamps in the sitting room and kids rooms,Christmas lights etc.

This kind of stuff

• Advertisement

I use them for Christmas lights. Also have them in my shed to turn in and off the lights.

Also have them on some devices to turn on and off

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

n1ck wrote: »

Long term reviews are not great. What I look for is IFTTT integration. Got caught in the past with eWelink as they started charging when initially free.

If anyone can recommend other WiFi plugs please let me know. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

manster wrote: »
    Long term reviews are not great. What I look for is IFTTT integration. Got caught in the past with eWelink as they started charging when initially free.

If anyone can recommend other WiFi plugs please let me know. Thanks

I’ve had 5 of them for over a year and haven’t had any issues

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

I’ve had 5 of them for over a year and haven’t had any issues

Do you use IFTTT?

This kind of stuff

Yup and the TV, great for turning it off when moving between rooms with the kids

• Advertisement
Advertisement