Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Is there any reason not to purchase the Nest Hello for $179 (€160 or so) from the Google US website and have it shipped here via AddressPal for €16 giving a landed cost of €175 Vs the €290 in Currys PC World?

Are the electrical standards or fitting requirements different between the US and here which would impact the Nest Hello? I've it in my head that because it's a low voltage door chime it doesn't matter but don't want to make an expensive mistake trying to save €115!!

Whatever about the electrical requirements, don't forget you'll have to pay customs on it. The €16 charge from AddressPal doesn't cover the extra duties/taxes payable (unlike when you order from Amazon US and they will ship to Ireland). So it will be at least 23% extra for the VAT, not sure about duty. It may still work out cheaper mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭micks_address

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Whatever about the electrical requirements, don't forget you'll have to pay customs on it. The €16 charge from AddressPal doesn't cover the extra duties/taxes payable (unlike when you order from Amazon US and they will ship to Ireland). So it will be at least 23% extra for the VAT, not sure about duty. It may still work out cheaper mind...

Yes thats true. I got mine via addresspal and it works one hundred percent fine. I had to pay something like 35 euro customs..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭deezell

Is there any reason not to purchase the Nest Hello for $179 (€160 or so) from the Google US website and have it shipped here via AddressPal for €16 giving a landed cost of €175 Vs the €290 in Currys PC World?

Are the electrical standards or fitting requirements different between the US and here which would impact the Nest Hello? I've it in my head that because it's a low voltage door chime it doesn't matter but don't want to make an expensive mistake trying to save €115!!

No, you cant use US Nests. They have low voltage contacts on the stat, connected direct to the 'furnace' in US heating speak. US burners use a low voltage trigger from the controller/stat, they never use switched live mains. Hence Nest here has a separate box with mains rated relays. Use a US nest here on a switched live circuit and you would heat your house, probably spectacularly, for a single night or until the fire brigade 'turned off' the heat.

deezell wrote: »
    No, you cant use US Nests. They have low voltage contacts on the stat, connected direct to the 'furnace' in US heating speak. US burners use a low voltage trigger from the controller/stat, they never use switched live mains. Hence Nest here has a separate box with mains rated relays. Use a US nest here on a switched live circuit and you would heat your house, probably spectacularly, for a single night or until the fire brigade 'turned off' the heat.

That may be true for the nest thermostat but the nest hello doorbell from the US works here fine. I bought mine from the US

• Registered Users Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭deezell

That may be true for the nest thermostat but the nest hello doorbell from the US works here fine. I bought mine from the US

Use the US Nest here and its goodbye, not hello.
    The hive 2 zone self install stat kit is £109 on Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Home-Kitchen/Hive-Heating-Thermostat-Professional-Installation/B011B3J6KY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭OU812

The hive 2 zone self install stat kit is £109 on Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Home-Kitchen/Hive-Heating-Thermostat-Professional-Installation/B011B3J6KY

He’s talking about the doorbell and there’s several on here currently using US ones with zero issues

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Nest make a variety of products, many of which work here:

- Nest Hello - a doorbell camera
    - Nest Cam - a camera, variety of indoor and outdoor models
    - Nest Protect - smoke alarm
    - Nest Secure - security system
    - Nest Thermostat - a thermostat

The US Nest Thermostat won't work here and you are right, it would be dangerous to use it here. But the UK Nest Thermostat works fine here.

Nest Hello however is just a doorbell camera and can work here.

Nest Cam and Protect are also officially available here. Nest Secure, not yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Rojiblancos

Do these come with both European & UK plug adaptor? I've seen that the full starter kit with dimmer switch included does

bk wrote: »
    Nest make a variety of products, many of which work here:

- Nest Hello - a doorbell camera
    - Nest Cam - a camera, variety of indoor and outdoor models
    - Nest Protect - smoke alarm
    - Nest Secure - security system
    - Nest Thermostat - a thermostat

The US Nest Thermostat won't work here and you are right, it would be dangerous to use it here. But the UK Nest Thermostat works fine here.

Nest Hello however is just a doorbell camera and can work here.

Nest Cam and Protect are also officially available here. Nest Secure, not yet.

They also make a temperature sensor which is sold in the US and compliments the thermostat. That however does not work here. I have a three pack under my bed for 12 months hoping they will enable the product here but they have stated they won't. The idea of the sensor is it could call for heat from a colder room etc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I used to make a lot of trips to the states for work and I discovered that electronics and technology in the States often doesn't work over here due to differences in frequencies and power inputs, it got easier with replacable plugs and leads but you really have to check the fine print before buying to make sure it'll work over here.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Nest hello from US site works perfectly here. That’s how I got it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

They also make a temperature sensor which is sold in the US and compliments the thermostat. That however does not work here. I have a three pack under my bed for 12 months hoping they will enable the product here but they have stated they won't. The idea of the sensor is it could call for heat from a colder room etc

Yes, it is strange that it doesn't work here. The only reason I can think of is that it perhaps uses z-wave, which uses different frequencies in Europe.

EDIT: Nope Bluetooth Low Energy, I don't know why so.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

I just ordered 2 Philips hue motion sensors from amazon.it for 55euro delivered combining these two offers:

If eligible, buy 30euro gift card. Within 48hours, receive 6euro off promo applied at checkout. (Arrived within 24hours for me)

https://www.amazon.it/b?node=10526018031

Select 2 motion sensors from this link before November 30th.

https://www.amazon.it/gp/promotion/A1Q4YAYNYD6BWB?ref_=plp_pc_dp_imp_A1Q4YAYNYD6BWB&refasin=B0148NMVQA

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭goose06

My nest got an update the other day, did you check it again since?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

Does anyone know if a Kasa Smart WiFi Plug by TP-Link can be controlled by multiple people simultaneously? I have one set up on a timer but I'd like to allow family members using the Kasa app on their own phone the ability to either alter the schedule or turn it on/off as necessary.

I've been through the settings on the Kasa app and can't see an option to "share" the device.

Will it show up in the Google Home app ? I'm thinking of getting one if it does and you can add other people to the home app if you link them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

nigwerwig wrote: »
    Will it show up in the Google Home app ? I'm thinking of getting one if it does and you can add other people to the home app if you link them

Yes, I have a TP Link linked to my Google Home. You can share your full Home (all rooms and devices) to other users they get exactly the same as you

Yes, I have a TP Link linked to my Google Home. You can share your full Home (all rooms and devices) to other users they get exactly the same as you

So it Shows up in the app thats good news argos have them for 30

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Google Home Minis are €59 for two in Currys Liffey Valley (dont know if this is a nationwide deal) for one of each colour (black and chalk)

Dont let that turn you off - just reserve two of the colour you want online and they'll honour that with the €59 deal too, as the manager acknowledged they didnt think of that.

Is this only in store or does the deal show online also? Adding two to my basket on currys.ie shows the total at €70 instead of €59. Would pay and collect in Blanch but not really interested in travelling unless the deal is available.

Is this only in store or does the deal show online also? Adding two to my basket on currys.ie shows the total at €70 instead of €59. Would pay and collect in Blanch but not really interested in travelling unless the deal is available.

I seen it on there site last week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Thats what i did,,reserved at €70 and paid €59

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Thats what i did,,reserved at €70 and paid €59

Tried that and just back but no dice. They said the offer ended yesterday and they wouldn't sell them for €59, about as helpful in store as stepping on lego so told them to forget about it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Tried that and just back but no dice. They said the offer ended yesterday and they wouldn't sell them for €59, about as helpful in store as stepping on lego so told them to forget about it.

Did you enter the code online to get thr deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

bk wrote: »

Update, I got those, work brilliantly, no hassle at all and the energy monitoring is very accurate. The only thing you need to be careful is to do the pairing on the 2.4GHz wifi.

Only negative, their square shape push the button on the switch, so get something in front to gain some space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

No delivery, but if anybody happens to be passing a Currys in the North or UK then this is working out at a great price.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

THE ALM wrote: »
    No delivery, but if anybody happens to be passing a Currys in the North or UK then this is working out at a great price.

Its a great deal but they are hard to come by in the real world. Most stores int he north dont seem to actually have stock of them, and i know that i had tried to get one in London via my brother, same story in lots of central London stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

some smart lighting deals including Hue lightstrip and GU10 White ambience

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Looking for another dot and forgot to pull the trigger last week in Argos when they were €30. they are now €65.

Amazon has them for £30 but no stuck until end January.

I know this is the wrong thread but if anyone sees them discounted maybe can post a link :o

• Registered Users Posts: 19,880 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

does anyone have any decent out door garden lights that they have used hue bulbs in,

looking at some of the hue outdoor stuff but reviews seem to suggest they are overpriced for what they are and you can get better lights and just use the bulbs

• Subscribers Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Cyrus wrote: »
    does anyone have any decent out door garden lights that they have used hue bulbs in,

looking at some of the hue outdoor stuff but reviews seem to suggest they are overpriced for what they are and you can get better lights and just use the bulbs

I used these near some doors and added hue lights to them, work well, I'm looking to add a few more around the garden

https://www.philips.ie/c-p/171309316/mygarden-wall-light

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

Cyrus wrote: »

If it's spotlights that you're after then I highly recommend these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008WAE128/?coliid=I3D5VYNRPDZ3CO&colid=11B2O4AQIF3HF&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it.

I have two of these Hue pedestals and they work perfectly - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CBD58X2/?coliid=I6ENXMT587YPZ&colid=11B2O4AQIF3HF&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it. They're poor value though. I only bought them because they were the style I wanted.

Advertisement