Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Google Home Mini + 2 x Hue Colour B22 + Hue bridge for £79:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/smart-tech/smart-tech/smart-home/smart-lighting/philips-hue-white-and-colour-ambiance-mini-smart-bulb-b22-starter-kit-google-home-mini-charcoal-bundle-10187625-pdt.html

Excellent deal. Note they also have the same deal but with E27 bulbs and different Mini colours.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

JBL Link 10 (with Google Home) £69:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/audio-and-headphones/audio/hifi-systems-and-speakers/jbl-link-10-portable-wireless-smart-sound-speaker-black-10169860-pdt.html

JBL Link 20 (with Google Home) £89:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/audio-and-headphones/audio/hifi-systems-and-speakers/jbl-link-20-portable-wireless-smart-sound-speaker-black-10169861-pdt.html

Onkyo Google Home speaker £49:
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203067-onkyo-vc-gx30-black-voice-activated-smart-speaker.aspx

Seemingly this has very good sound quality from reviews, better then the full size Google Homes and even the above JBLs (but lacks the battery, waterproofness and portability of the JBL's, so different uses).

Note that these Google Assistant speakers lack a few of the features of Google Home, like the broadcast feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

bk wrote: »

Ok - so bought the 3 bulb deal - now i need a good offer on a hub/bridge thingy, maybe with coloured bulb or two.

If i have my hub/bridge thingy downstairs, will it drive hue bulbs upstairs, or do i need another hub/bridge upstairs ?

mx5ire wrote: »
    Ok - so bought the 3 bulb deal - now i need a good offer on a hub/bridge thingy, maybe with coloured bulb or two.

If i have my hub/bridge thingy downstairs, will it drive hue bulbs upstairs, or do i need another hub/bridge upstairs ?

One bridge should work for your home home. BTW Hue works like a mesh network, so each bulb acts like a repeater.

This is a pretty nice deal if you are interested in Google Home too, GH mini + hue bridge + 2 x colour bulbs:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/smart-tech/smart-tech/smart-home/smart-lighting/philips-hue-white-and-colour-ambiance-mini-smart-bulb-b22-starter-kit-google-home-mini-charcoal-bundle-10187625-pdt.html

You will need to use PM/PW to get this deal and maybe a revolut card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

mx5ire wrote: »

The one hub will do your whole house. Note the hub/bulbs/mini deal above or just wait until next week and ask around on here for someone selling a spare hub from one of the bundles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

are the 2m lightstrip worth 50 pounds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭THE ALM

can get the 2m+1m extension for £49.99 on Amazon

Hue 3 bulb starter pack (B22, E27 or GU10) with switch and echo dot gen 3 is €199.99 on Littlewoods Ireland.

Philips must love when Black Friday comes round.

You start out trying a starter kit to see what it the deal is with the colour bulbs and the next thing the house is like a bloody night club :cool: The don't even have to try with the amount of people looking for the best buy and hooking others in...Now if I could just find a good deal on a OLED ambilight TV :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

THE ALM wrote: »

You start out trying a starter kit to see what it the deal is with the colour bulbs and the next thing the house is like a bloody night club :cool: The don't even have to try with the amount of people looking for the best buy and hooking others in...Now if I could just find a good deal on a OLED ambilight TV :D

I've wrapped a lightening strip around the bracket behind the TV and it's casting light all over the wall, very good effect especially when watching sport. There is an entertainment mode in the app but I haven't gotten around to playing with it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Clareman wrote: »
    I've wrapped a lightening strip around the bracket behind the TV and it's casting light all over the wall, very good effect especially when watching sport. There is an entertainment mode in the app but I haven't gotten around to playing with it yet.

Entertainment mode integrates with your PC, so it'd paint the walls with the colors from your screen. Will only work with the TV if you hook PC -> TV via HDMI! ( It's great when I'm playing Battlefield - the room lights up like i'm in the trenches, flashes of gunshot / explosions etc )

Clareman wrote: »

Actually if you create a entertainment area and use an app like Hue React on you phone when playing music can be good fun when your night club is in full swing.

You see this is what happens, you start looking for places to put lights. I have a light strip on order that will be going into the bathroom for a more relaxed soak...

You mean like this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-55POS9002-05-Ambilight-Freeview/dp/B0746PRDRJ?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_PC_3e0a5182_NA&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Please don't hate me. Though it says it doesn't ship to Ireland :(

I've been keeping an eye on OLEDs, the price has really come down. A 55" like this was almost €3000 just last year! They are starting to hit mass market pricing :D

Though reviews of this particular TV say that the OS is buggy.

You mean like this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-55POS9002-05-Ambilight-Freeview/dp/B0746PRDRJ?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_PC_3e0a5182_NA&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

I've been keeping an eye on OLEDs, the price has really come down. A 55" like this was almost €3000 just last year! They are starting to hit mass market pricing :D

Seen that bk, I think in the next year we could see them hit the £1000 mark which will start to get tempting.

I have a Sony tv which, at present, is coming up on 12 years old. Paid close to €1300 for it at the time after a lot of research and would still put the image of some current HD TV's to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

You're a bad person and you owe my kids a pair of shoes. Each!

Actually he's saved you money. You'd end up punching a hole in the wall dealing with connectivity issues of the IKEA system, and then go out and buy Hue's anyway. I'm getting rid of all IKEA lighting in house (I don't have that much TBF) and replacing with Hue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Google Home Mini + 2 x Hue Colour B22 + Hue bridge for £79:

Excellent deal. Note they also have the same deal but with E27 bulbs and different Mini colours.

Damn that's good. I picked up a Mini earlier in the week and wanted 2 colour B22 but went for the 3xB22 deal today. I guess I have an extra B22... but I don't really have any need for it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Bacchus wrote: »
    Actually he's saved you money. You'd end up punching a hole in the wall dealing with connectivity issues of the IKEA system, and then go out and buy Hue's anyway. I'm getting rid of all IKEA lighting in house (I don't have that much TBF) and replacing with Hue.

I took very little persuasion. Ended up buying 9 of them. They're practically giving them away ffs! Funny one about the E14s, they restrict you to buying one at a time, so had to buy them in 3 separate goes. Free shipping to Ireland so all good!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭OU812

Anyone see anything on Chromecast Ultra?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭racersedge

I took very little persuasion. Ended up buying 9 of them. They're practically giving them away ffs! Funny one about the E14s, they restrict you to buying one at a time, so had to buy them in 3 separate goes. Free shipping to Ireland so all good!

Same here. Was wondering why on first glance it looked so cheap at the basket! Surprised the bank didn’t call wondering why I had to have a few payments in close proximity!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

OU812 wrote: »
    Anyone see anything on Chromecast Ultra?

It's £54 on the UK store no discount on the Irish store and haven't seen anything from any B&M stores

• Advertisement

Seen that bk, I think in the next year we could see them hit the £1000 mark which will start to get tempting.

I have a Sony tv which, at present, is coming up on 12 years old. Paid close to €1300 for it at the time after a lot of research and would still put the image of some current HD TV's to shame.

Yep I was thinking the same, not far off my ideal price.

I've a now almost 10 years old Pioneer Kuro Plasma, that puts most modern LCD's to shame. Beautiful TV. But finally OLED looks to finally surpass it.

Only concern is I don't have that much 4k content and native HD does better for HD content rather then upscaling. Another year should bring more 4k content, along with lower prices, so I'll probably jump then.

Interestingly, I worked out that an OLED over 10 years will actually pay for itself with lower electricity bills! Plasma is a real power sucker.

Yep I was thinking the same, not far off my ideal price.

I've a now almost 10 years old Pioneer Kuro Plasma, that puts most modern LCD's to shame. Beautiful TV. But finally OLED looks to finally surpass it.

Only concern is I don't have that much 4k content and native HD does better for HD content rather then upscaling. Another year should bring more 4k content, along with lower prices, so I'll probably jump then.

Interestingly, I worked out that an OLED over 10 years will actually pay for itself with lower electricity bills! Plasma is a real power sucker.

Exactly my thinking bk, they sure put out a fine picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Bacchus wrote: »

Is the ikea stuff that bad?
    I was planning to start off with the ikea stuff using a hue bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭deezell

You mean like this:

No Norn Iron delivery either.

JohnLewis has it also for that price, no IRl delivery but it seems to accept parcel motel address. Is it risky with them, given the size and value. So tempting

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    Is the ikea stuff that bad?
    I was planning to start off with the ikea stuff using a hue bridge

seems like others here are having serious issues, it's been flawless for me, working perfectly, bunch of gu10's in a couple of rooms, all grouped and controlled by alexa. never misses a beat. had to to do power on/off routine to sync them originally but perfect since then, and they are the complete opposite end of the house to my hue bridge, there are some hue lights closer though

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

mossym wrote: »
    seems like others here are having serious issues, it's been flawless for me, working perfectly, bunch of gu10's in a couple of rooms, all grouped and controlled by alexa. never misses a beat. had to to do power on/off routine to sync them originally but perfect since then, and they are the complete opposite end of the house to my hue bridge, there are some hue lights closer though

Ok thanks that's good to know the cost of the hue bulbs is off putting when your starting from scratch. I'll probably start getting ikea bulbs in the near future and move on to hue from the remaining bulbs next year

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

They are, and for £50 your getting 3m of lightstrip. They aint much to look at when they come out of the box, but set them up right, and they become feature lights in a room.

deezell wrote: »
    No Norn Iron delivery either.

JohnLewis has it also for that price, no IRl delivery but it seems to accept parcel motel address. Is it risky with them, given the size and value. So tempting

You will definitely need to pay a lot more for PM/PW with bulk item and home delivery charge. I'd go for PW over PM personally. PM seem to be a bit all over the place at the moment.

I'm not sure if I'd risk it.

Perhaps check if there are any German, etc. retailers doing it. A lot of German sites deliver TV's direct to Ireland.

BTW Richer Sounds looks like they have it, though not as cheap, might be better paying extra to avoid the risk:

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203645-philips-55oled803-55-inch-oled-4k-ultra-hd-premium-smart-tv-freeview-hd.aspx

If you don't need ambilight, this looks to be a good deal:

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203506-lg-oled55b8s-55-inch-oled-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-tv-freeview-play.aspx

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Shlippery wrote: »
    Entertainment mode integrates with your PC, so it'd paint the walls with the colors from your screen. Will only work with the TV if you hook PC -> TV via HDMI! ( It's great when I'm playing Battlefield - the room lights up like i'm in the trenches, flashes of gunshot / explosions etc )

Agreed. Hue Sync/Entertainment is great. I have a Mac Mini hooked up to my TV and the room set up as an entertainment area (4 lights including a Bloom behind the TV). Makes watching Movies great!

• Advertisement

mossym wrote: »

Yes, it seems mixed, some have a good experience, some have a bad one.

I tried two of the €7 GU10's and had lots of issues, replaced them with Hue and much happier now.

I'd recommend just buying one or two first, trying them out for a few weeks, before buying lots of them. The price is certainly very attractive. But no point if they don't work for you.

Advertisement