Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'First Time Triathlete' - The Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 silkey

Hi Folks,

I recently signed up for my first triathlon, I'm doing one in Cahirciveen in June (sprint distance).
    Can any one advise me on what clothing to wear, and how the transition from water to bike happens?
    I know I'll have to wear a wet suit in the open water, but should i wear a pair of shorts under the wetsuit and cycle in them? I'm a bit worried about chaffing!
    Does a tri suit replace the need for a wetsuit?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

A tri suit is not a wetsuit. Wear a tri suit or tri shorts /top under your wetsuit when you exit the water just remove your wetsuit and put on your bike shoes + helmet, then at the end of the bike session just change into runners. Tri suit /shorts have enough padding in the seat to cushion you on the bike section but will dry out quickly and they will not impede your running. Depending on the pedals on the bike you are using you might be just wearing runners for both bike and run sections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Welcome silkey :) Best of luck with your training. First sprint myself this summer, can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭excitementcity

Hi All

Welcome too Silkey. Best of luck with your first triathlon too. I'm in the same boat myself.Hope the training is going well:)

Also just wanted to ask you all if you know if you can listen to music during the triathlon? I'm guessing not but I just thought I'd ask.

Cheers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Hi All

Welcome too Silkey. Best of luck with your first triathlon too. I'm in the same boat myself.Hope the training is going well:)

Also just wanted to ask you all if you know if you can listen to music during the triathlon? I'm guessing not but I just thought I'd ask.

Cheers:)

Nope. Music == DQ

• Advertisement

Thanks tunny. Guessed as much. What do you mean by DQ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Thanks tunny. Guessed as much. What do you mean by DQ?

disqualified

Oh sorry tunny. Thanks for that.:)

Hi all

Another silly newbie question! For those of you who wear contact lenses. How do you manage!:) Do you pop them in after the swim. Could be a pain trying to put them in in a rush? Or do you just chance them in the pool when the swim is a short swim?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I use the lenses that you leave in 24/7 for a month so I just leave them in. I don't think that's the advised way of doing things though. There was a thread in the eyesight, glasses and contacts forum about swimming with contacts a while back.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055388087

• Advertisement

Thanks a mil hunnymonster:)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

Hi excitementcity.
    I'm a 24/7 glasses wearer, but I have soft disposable contact lenses for when it really matters.
    I put the contacts in before the tri starts. As long as you're happy with the fit of your goggles, water really won't be an issue.
    Maybe try wearing contacts with your goggles when you're practising swimming. Get used to dealing with a little water and the contacts together.

You really don't want to be fiddling with lenses in transition where it's blustery/rainy, you're heart is racing and you're in a hurry.

Hi tagoona. Thanks a mil for the advice. I usually take out my lenses when swimming but I think your right it would be far too much hassle to be trying to put them in while trying to hop in the bike. :DThanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭papamike

With the first triathlon only weeks away now I suppose it would do no harm to get a few brick sessions onto the training log.

Any suggestions as to what would be a good brick session for a beginner. I was thinking along the lines of 10km cycle/3km/10km cycle/3km run at quite a conservative pace. Or is that too much??

Will have a search later but any suggestions appreciated.

One other thing, did a 750m TT in the pool today and what's the story with the dizzyness getting out of the pool?? Never noticed it before and is that normal:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Hi all

Another silly newbie question! For those of you who wear contact lenses. How do you manage!:) Do you pop them in after the swim. Could be a pain trying to put them in in a rush? Or do you just chance them in the pool when the swim is a short swim?

Cheers

I wear gas permeable lens and never have any problems.

You've goggles for the swim part so it's not a problem. Then for the bike make sure you're a pair of sunglasses, so you don't get dust or insects into your eye.

Even if your goggles flood you won't lose your lenses. Just make sure to practice in them. As is often quoted here, don't do anything new on race day. As for putting your lenses in transition, forget it! Your heart will be going ninety after the swim and with the race adrenaline, if you tried to put a lens in you'd end up poking out your eye with your finger or dropping you lens in grass and mud!

papamike wrote: »
    With the first triathlon only weeks away now I suppose it would do no harm to get a few brick sessions onto the training log.

Any suggestions as to what would be a good brick session for a beginner. I was thinking along the lines of 10km cycle/3km/10km cycle/3km run at quite a conservative pace. Or is that too much??

Will have a search later but any suggestions appreciated.

One other thing, did a 750m TT in the pool today and what's the story with the dizzyness getting out of the pool?? Never noticed it before and is that normal:eek:

It's because all the blood is in your arms and your head. If you kick like fury for about the last 25/50 m then you get the blood back into your legs and are less likely to be light headed getting out of the water.

silkey wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I recently signed up for my first triathlon, I'm doing one in Cahirciveen in June (sprint distance).
    Can any one advise me on what clothing to wear, and how the transition from water to bike happens?
    I know I'll have to wear a wet suit in the open water, but should i wear a pair of shorts under the wetsuit and cycle in them? I'm a bit worried about chaffing!
    Does a tri suit replace the need for a wetsuit?

Just a lycra pair of shorts and a lycra running top will be fine.

Don't wear cycling shorts you'll be like a baby with a wet nappy on the bike and run.

Wear your gear under your wet suit.

Chaffing won't be a problem, you'll dry off in minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

[OT]aww, isn't it lovely when one of your noobs becomes an expert. I might just have to adopt you Hardy E! I shall have to adopt someone, several people have wished me a happy mothers day weekend today. grrgh, as if biological clocks weren't bad enough, I've strangers on the street making me feel bad for not having babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 flynne8

Hi All,

Really enjoying this thread. I have signed for my first tri (Valencia in May), I was wondering if anyone knew bout wetsuits? What's a good make and how much would i expect to pay? and where stocks them. Also, Is anyone doing any outdoor swimming yet? And if so, wheres a good place to practice.

My Training schedule is as follows;

Sun; Outdoor 20K Cycle. 40-45mins (approx)
    Mon; 45 Spinning, 5K treadmill Run.
    Tue; As Mon
    Wed; Swim; 40 lenghts 20m pool
    Thur; Weights
    Fri; 35 min indoor stationary bike cycle & 5K indoor run oR swim.
    Sat; Rest

My swiming is all in the pool at the mo, i can do 40 lenghts of the 20m pool in bout 13-15mins. I can do 5k run on the treadmill in just under 25mins. What's the avererage time to complete a sprint tri?
    THANKS!!

Welcome flynne8:)

Don't worry too much about the average times of completion. Focus on yourself and enjoy your first Tri. Not too far off now!

• Advertisement

Thanks a mil HardyEustace. Yeah I didn't think it would really work trying to put in the contacts in a rush!!!

Guys...can't believe the time is flying...our races will be here in no time. Eek... Just started trying to brick two of my sessions together again recently...It's so hard to run with jelly legs!!:)

Hope all of your training sessions are going well. MCOS your logs are an inspiration some day I'll get to your standard!:D

The legs sure are jelly like off the bike. Thats why its best not to feel that for the first time on race day :) Hopefully I'll manage that transition better in the Duathlon this weekend

Questions about gear for a Tri.

My first sprint and olympic are pool based swims. What top do you put on afterwards? Also do you wear cycling shorts for a 20k cycle? I've heard of 'body glide' a few times now. Is that more for easing the changing out of wetsuit?

And last one, I need to get a wetsuit in the next few weeks any recommendations for around the max €300 mark?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭shopaholic

This one is for the ladies...what gear do you wear? I've a nike triathlon high impact top but my problem is the bottoms. I'm looking for something with a drawstring so that when I push from the wall in the pool the bottoms stay attached to me...have tried swimming with bikini bottoms and it just doesn't work. Also should I be going for padded shorts and will this impact my run?
    (btw my first triathlon is Nenagh in 3 weeks!)

shopaholic wrote: »
    (btw my first triathlon is Nenagh in 3 weeks!)

Me Too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭shopaholic

cya there then! If you're planning on booking into the Abbey court for the night before check out hotelsireland.com...much cheaper than booking directly through the hotel.

Hi guys!

How is the training going for your first Tri?

Anyone doing the Joey Hannon? Less than 5 weeks to it now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

Hey MCOS,
    I'm doing the joey olympic.
    How do you feel the training is coming for you?
    A word to the wise, The ennis tri club cycled the cycle route the other day, and going out the wind was agains us all the way, coming back is much better though. Good luck.

Hey tagoona welcome:)

Yep I entered the Joey olympic too. Training was going ok up to about a week ago but getting back into it now. I'm familiar with the bike course, the outward leg of it just has 2 small hills really and they are not too bad. It is windy though and wide open so you will feel the full force of any wind. Best of luck yourself!

• Advertisement

Hi all.

Hope you are all well. Just wondering what the bike course is for the joey? Does it go out of UL out past finnegans or something?

Don't like the sound if this wind!!:o

Cheers

Advertisement