Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Games Have You Completed? (2020 Edition)

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Watch Dogs Legion. Completed and platinumed. It hurts to say that I cannot recommend this game at full price and thankfully I won’t have to as it has been heavily discounted since its release for good reason. At its core it’s a really fun, addictive game but it’s clearly a next gen concept trying its damnedest to run on last gen consoles and it shows. It crashes consistently, trophies are bugged, loading screens are out of control, and missions break on you for seemingly no reason. Ubisoft has released some patches addressing these issues with no luck and they’ve had to push back multiplayer to focus on getting the base game stable.

I am somewhat sympathetic to Ubisoft here because, unlike say Cyberpunk, nearly everything you see on screen is interactable from the different drone types flying all over the city, the cargo drones, the cars, the shops, side activities, and finally the NPCs – all while the graphics are fairly decent. That’s a lot going on for any system to handle, let alone last gen consoles.

I'm playing on a series X and have had no issues or bugs and loading screens aren't bad at all.

I also just used the construction worker as it's so much better to scope out a location on the carrier drone and only experimented with different characters when I said I will get the trophies/achievements and realized there was fun to be had using their abilities that I never knew until I tried. So got the achievements and played around with different ones just for the laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Fair play The Phantom Pain for such detailed posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order
    Control
    Ori & the Blind Forest
    Gears 5
    Animal Crossing (paid off my house?)
    Ghost of Tsushima
    Hypnospace Outlaw
    A Short Hike
    Donut County
    Crusader Kings 3
    Spiderman

Finally beat the Spiderman game on PS4. Really enjoyed the storyline. Couldn't be arsed doing all the collectibles and drone missions and safe houses and so on, there's far too many of them. I'll get Miles Morales when it's on sale as I hear it's shorter than this one.

A really disappointing year overall. Most of the games I finished came out in 2019. Only Ghost of Tsushima drove me to finish the storyline this year, so easily my favourite game of 2020. Games are just too long these days! I see the user above platinumed Assasssin's Creed Valhalla. I can only imagine how many hours that took. I'm 25 hours in and only just finished the Lunden story.

Perhaps I'll discover a few games in 2021 that I missed out on this year. I've just started playing Hades. But I don't think these kind of games are for me. It seems like another Dead Cells. And there's a game called Umarangi I've heard good things about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Ridley

Ubisoft are such cowards - either commit to making a female character without a male skin or just straight up admit your sexism and don’t bother. :rolleyes:

There's a definite wall between what the developer wants and the marketing team thinks of the audience. If that story about the Origins team wanting Aya to be the lead is accurate (and I felt playing it that her story should have been played), that's three games in a row where the woman's story is meant be central but it's the man on the cover.
    If you're into Vikings I suppose it's worth a go once the patch cycle is over but would not recommend for long time AC fans.

See, I'd say if you've been with the series from the start, the game's peppered with little bits from the other main titles which are quite rewarding.

But yeah, from my experience, it'll give you stealth options but the narrative and gameplay rarely expects you to be. I'm kinda okay with that as there's always the next game though I can see it putting people off if the franchise to them is to be the Assassin every time.

Valhalla's MGS2 maybe? Eivor's Raiden where most want Snaaake. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

2021 Completion Thread.

Happy New Year Everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

So after a long hiatus (because I couldn't get past the Gargoyles) I finally finished Dark Souls this year.

After defeating Gwyn, I then found out I couldn't just go back to the DLC so I had to play it again, which was fortunately much quicker and this time defeated everyone.

I then proceeded to Dark Souls 2 (scholar of the first sin) and defeated all the bosses except for Lud and Zallen because I don't feel like hiking in through a wall of white for 3 minutes and 45 seconds trying to avoid those stupid reindeer every time I die due to the ridiculous hitboxes (I'm still bitter).

Finally, I manged to finish Dark Souls 3 including all DLC bosses in December.

Overall, it was good to play through each of them once but the only one I have any real desire to replay is Dark Souls 1 and I have subsequently started a sorcery run but I'm stuck on Manus with a strange combination of bosses already defeated.

Despite the criticism, Dark Souls 2 is a solid game. It has some mechanics I found better than the other games in the series. By comparison, I found some of the bosses to be far too easy and a lot of them felt just thrown in under the guise that more bosses is better despite many of the surrounding regular enemies are more difficult.

At the same time, the bosses that were genuinely difficult each felt that they were fair and that they could be defeated if you just got your timing right. There were some parts that were annoying though where I just didn't know where to go and I had to look it up e.g. the memories, but overall I thought it was a good game.

Finally Dark Souls 3 and again, another solid game. Unlike DS2, they reduced the number of bosses but made some of the non boss enemies overly difficult (even at higher levels). I had to use summons to defeat a few bosses in this one as in many cases I couldn't see a way to defeat them unlike DS1 and DS2 where I felt I just needed to adjust timing or git gud e.g. Midir, Friede and Dragon Slayer Armour but most of the bosses were fair and it did feel rewarding to defeat them once you got everything right e.g. Abyss Watchers, Slave Knight Gael, Lothric and Dancer.

I would recommend playing the series, despite the frustration in many places. I played each of them on PC with a mouse and keyboard which probably didn't help with the frustration as the controls are just so strange. Each of them have many flaws and despite what other say, I probably died more due to camera angles rather and the deeply flawed lock on systems than due to gravity.

If I were to recommend only one, it would be the first one because I don't think I have ever been happier playing games as I was after I beat Ornstein and Smough.

In my mind the other two are probably much closer together in terms of quality than others would have you believe but I can see why DS3 usually gets the nod ahead of DS2

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Thhosed

Metro Exodus

Advertisement