Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Knock/Eirtrade thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Ive been seeing a lot of the keyrings online, jaysus they're some price for a very small piece of metal

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

So it began...

01ab-phm.jpg

02ab-phm.jpg

03ab-phm.jpg

04ab-phm.jpg

05ab-phm.jpg

06ab-phm.jpg

Looks like they also got SAS 737-700 (SE-REY) to be scrapped.

98se-rey-phm.jpg

99se-rey-phm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Removal of engines is one of the first things to be done. They are liable to be owned by different parties than the airframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,401 ✭✭✭✭cson

That SAS bird is GECAS owned, only 17 years old.

cson wrote: »

Damn, when I first saw the 737 from Oslo on flight radar I was hoping it was a new route being run :-( oh well maybe in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,887 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

cson wrote: »

I suspect the reason it's being scrapped has a lot more to do with the fact it's a -700. They don't save much on operating costs but have less capacity.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

And, like the -600, they share a lot of parts with the -800, so in combination with what you say, they become worth more as spares relatively young, just like the A318 and A319 for the 320 or 321 or the A340 for spares for the A330

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

EchoIndia wrote: »
    Removal of engines is one of the first things to be done. They are liable to be owned by different parties than the airframe.

I'm not going to totally disagree with you, but I'd imagine the engines on an A380 are some of the least likely to be leased due to their specialization and cost.
    Lessors have generally stayed well clear of A380's and likewise (but maybe not to the same degree) their engines.

That being said, the engines still hold a considerable proportion of the value of a scrapped airframe, so would always be whipped off first.

Lurching wrote: »
    I'm not going to totally disagree with you, but I'd imagine the engines on an A380 are some of the least likely to be leased due to their specialization and cost.
    Lessors have generally stayed well clear of A380's and likewise (but maybe not to the same degree) their engines.

That being said, the engines still hold a considerable proportion of the value of a scrapped airframe, so would always be whipped off first.

Engines are generally leased from the engine manufacturers

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Engines are generally leased from the engine manufacturers

The leasing includes the 24/7 global monitoring and diagnostics in realtime.

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

I've no knowledge in that matter at all, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's not the best idea to keep engines outdoors just wrapped in plastic, hence they do their best to remove them asap. Apart from aforementioned ownership thingy, of course. ;)

joujoujou wrote: »
    I've no knowledge in that matter at all, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's not the best idea to keep engines outdoors just wrapped in plastic, hence they do their best to remove them asap. Apart from aforementioned ownership thingy, of course. ;)

Eh why ? Clouds, hail, humidity, fog, rain, snow, ice, flooded runways. They are extremely durable engines, sitting on a wing in a nacelle with engine covers isn’t going to harm them.

Unregistered Users

Why? I believe quite similar to any sophisticated stuff. It's perfectly fine while it's working. Not so when lying idle for longer period. Anyway, just my thoughts, so thanks for clarification. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Teebor15

But don't they spend nearly all their life outdoors, what difference does another few months make.

No, the real reason they are taken off first is to prevent some ethic minority sneaking in and removing them first...imagine what one of them engines would do to improve the performance of a sulky!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

The engines have been spotted in the past few weeks heading down the N11 on the back off artic's.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

If you want to store engines for any period of time they should be preserved in accordance with the maintenance or shop manual. Yes they spend their life outdoors but they are also running everyday, when they are sitting they need to be preserved.

If you are buying an engine that's been taken off wing, one of the first things you look for is evidence of preservation.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Teebor15 wrote: »
    But don't they spend nearly all their life outdoors, what difference does another few months make.

No, the real reason they are taken off first is to prevent some ethic minority sneaking in and removing them first...imagine what one of them engines would do to improve the performance of a sulky!

I've seen the inside of hundreds of engines, fresh from a flight, sitting preserved for months, and sitting not preserved for months, there is a huge difference and you can tell straight away if and engine has been poorly preserved, particularly is harsh environments, the build up of salt on the blades is incredible, and that's just the gaspath.

If the fuel system hasn't been purged and filled with preserving fluid and it's sitting for a good period of time, you may strip out the whole system and replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Teebor15 wrote: »

Amazing! Never knew aero engines contained copper piping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Engines spend 99.9% of their working lives in all types of extreme environments , being stored outside IAW the manufacturers approved procedures would not be a problem. They remove them asap because they are a valuable asset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

hopeso wrote: »

Just looking at Knock airport on Google Earth. They'll need to get slicing and dicing if they're going to fit another A380 there, especially if they've now got a 737 there as well.

Unregistered Users

They already do. When I was there, noticed diggers tirelessly working around the place, now I know why. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Just looking at Knock airport on Google Earth. They'll need to get slicing and dicing if they're going to fit another A380 there, especially if they've now got a 737 there as well.

There is also 2 no a320 that arrived today to be scrapped. Alot off work to do before we see the next A380.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Went up there yesterday for a look. The SAS 737 is great in terms of giving some perspective to the size of the A380.

There were a couple of diggers at work on the ground beside the A380, perhaps this is to enlarge the tarmac area for more arrivals.

Will be plenty of planes getting scrapped in the next couple of years I'd imagine.

perhaps this is to enlarge the tarmac area for more arrivals.

;)

Next one due August 12th 1300 F-HPJD

Usual health warnings on date and time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I feel a road trip coming on! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

Best pic from a visit on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Thanks for that info. I’m about 50km from Knock around that time and considering a visit with the kids. How likely is this to take place? Also is there just 1 runway or where is the best place for viewing?

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

How are they making a profit out of this, with the number of A380's being grounded and indeed scrapped, the market for parts must be flooded?

Advertisement