Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,411 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

tedpan wrote: »
    One of my favourite cartoons growing up was Jayce and the wheeled warriors.
    It was set on a distant planet and some of the characters 'transformed' into vehicles (wheeled warriors) and was absolutely class if my brain is remembering correctly!

Was it not more that the characters were half monster plant half truck? I seem to remember them as that but very much open to correction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Tenko

Butterfly Island

Having a look through old posts here again.
    Would be great if Tenko was available to watch online now.
    I must do some research.

Bangkok Hilton (late 80s) is another worth mentioning.
    It starred a very young Nicole Kidman, and Denholm Elliott in one of his final roles before he died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

cml387 wrote: »
    Emmmm no.

I was huge fan at the time, but it's aged badly, tinfoil suits running around Television Centre and some outside filmed inserts shot in a quarry near Reading.
    You know what they say...never go back.

Indeed. Even at the time, post Star Wars, it looked terribly cheap. I did quite like the story at the time though.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Loved China Beach and have been in love with Dana Delaney ever since.

Tour of Duty ran at the same.

I think China Beach was on late on Thursday nights on Network 2. Robert Picardo was great in it too.

I remember Tour of Duty was on Bravo. A young Kyle Chandler was in a later season of it. I was watching an episode of 6 Feet Under recently and Terence Knox turned up in it. I don't think I've ever seen him in anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Maxx355

Rhoda is one i remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Terrahawks. It had one of the scariest looking characters ever, Zelda

rCAR7sep_400x400.jpeg
    she went on to star in eastenders.

Shirley-Carter-in-EastEnders-918802.jpg

DvSWB0lWoAEHSvC.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

MONKEY

Monkey Magic - used to be on sky 1 - Japanese madness

Around the twist - like some other posters this show used to annoy me but I would still watch it despite myself

Simon and the witch was good entertainment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭hibble

This was shown BBC3 or 4 about 10 years ago. I thought it was excellent.

https://youtu.be/YZnsZeR6gD8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭wandererz

RIPTIDE

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

s1ippy wrote: »

My favourite part of that show was the weekly focus on cult/bad Irish movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Ned and Stacy - a comedy about a man (Ned) and woman (Stacy) who hate each other, but to have to pretend to be married to each other so that Ned can get a promotion at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭helpful

I remember watching a show about 20-25 years ago. A teenage boy I think he had a band. His sister was called marmalade as far as I remember. Think it was set in England but I was very young so could have been anywhere.
    Anybody know the show I’m talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The show was called Marmalade Atkins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I watched the first season of Wiseguy late last year, I enjoyed it but lost interest a few episodes into season 2.

Available on amazon prime video of anyone interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

helpful wrote: »
    I remember watching a show about 20-25 years ago. A teenage boy I think he had a band. His sister was called marmalade as far as I remember. Think it was set in England but I was very young so could have been anywhere.
    pugwalls summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

'Educating Marmalade'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,231 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

branie2 wrote: »
    Ned and Stacy - a comedy about a man (Ned) and woman (Stacy) who hate each other, but to have to pretend to be married to each other so that Ned can get a promotion at work.

Had a great cast more famous for other roles - Thomas Haden Church (Wings, Sideways), Greg Germann (Ally McBeal) & Debra Messing (Will and Grace)... it was overshadowed by the 90s sitcom giants but I have a softspot for it.

Good writeup about it here:
    https://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/72437/ned-and-stacey-the-complete-series/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Happy Ever After.
    Forerunner to Terry & June.
    Watched brilliant episode this week, Frank’s Return.
    Their son returns from Hong Kong with his “oriental” fiancee.
    30 minutes of casual racism and every conceivable stereotype mentioned. Welcome to 1976.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭helpful

smilerf wrote: »
    pugwalls summer?

That was it. Thank you so much

• Advertisement

Happy Ever After.
    Forerunner to Terry & June.
    Watched brilliant episode this week, Frank’s Return.
    Their son returns from Hong Kong with his “oriental” fiancee.
    30 minutes of casual racism and every conceivable stereotype mentioned. Welcome to 1976.

You've just reminded me of a long forgotten memory. Irish based mini series shown on RTE mid 80s, set in the 1950s. All I can remember is that part of the storyline involved an ex priest who returned from the missions in Korea with his new Korean bride to small rural town. Scene where the two are at mass. A couple of oul biddys are gossiping and one of them remarks about yer man and "his Chinawoman". I've a feeling it was one of those Channel 4 Co productions, can't identify it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,411 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

That was it. Thank you so much

That’s Australian by the way, a mate was talking about it recently and I rewatched a bit and it’s truly awful.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Had a great cast more famous for other roles - Thomas Haden Church (Wings, Sideways), Greg Germann (Ally McBeal) & Debra Messing (Will and Grace)... it was overshadowed by the 90s sitcom giants but I have a softspot for it.

Good writeup about it here:
    https://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/72437/ned-and-stacey-the-complete-series/

And from around the same time, Caroline in the City with Lea Thompson and The Naked Truth with Tea Leoni and Holland Taylor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭George White

You've just reminded me of a long forgotten memory. Irish based mini series shown on RTE mid 80s, set in the 1950s. All I can remember is that part of the storyline involved an ex priest who returned from the missions in Korea with his new Korean bride to small rural town. Scene where the two are at mass. A couple of oul biddys are gossiping and one of them remarks about yer man and "his Chinawoman". I've a feeling it was one of those Channel 4 Co productions, can't identify it.

choes (1988) with Geraldine James, John Kavanagh and Allison Doody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,961 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Top Cat was cartoon when I was a kid. I think it was made so parents could enjoy it as well as kids.
    The man from Atlantis starred Patrick Duffy. Great show for kids, they might even enjoy it nowadays.
    Another excellent kids one from my youth was Catweazle.
    I'm sure there's plenty remember the last two though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

eagle eye wrote: »
    Top Cat was cartoon when I was a kid. I think it was made so parents could enjoy it as well as kids.
    The man from Atlantis starred Patrick Duffy. Great show for kids, they might even enjoy it nowadays.
    Another excellent kids one from my youth was Catweazle.
    I'm sure there's plenty remember the last two though.

Top Cat was an animated rip off of The Phil Silvers Show (Sgt Bilko). They even had Benny the Ball for Pvt Dobermann.

Catweazle is on every day on the Talking Pictures channel about 4 or 5 o'clock. Still great fun as well.

choes (1988) with Geraldine James, John Kavanagh and Allison Doody.

Echoes? I think that's it all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

Star Trek the animated series, in the 70s - voiced by the original actors in most cases too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Spin City (the Michael J Fox years).

I haven't seen it since the nineties. But I loved it at the time and at the age I was. Afraid to rewatch it, in case it turns out to be $hite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭cml387

Top Cat was an animated rip off of The Phil Silvers Show (Sgt Bilko). They even had Benny the Ball for Pvt Dobermann.

Hardly a "rip-off", it certainly had the look and feel but the plots (of course the main characters were mostly cats) were original and it was well made and still stands up well to this day.

Which is more than can be said for the next big Hanna Barbera success, Scooby Doo which even at the time I thought ridiculous and very crudely animated.

• Advertisement

As noted it was Echoes, based on a Maeve Binchy novel.

There's a DVD release available surprisingly enough - glad to see it's not been lost to dead VHS tapes:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maeve-Binchy-Echoes-Geraldine-James/dp/B0014VIIU8/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=echoes+dvd&qid=1595489442&refinements=p_lbr_actors_browse-bin%3AAlison+Doody&rnid=3280629031&s=dvd&sr=1-1

There's a DVD release available surprisingly enough - glad to see it's not been lost to dead VHS tapes:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maeve-Binchy-Echoes-Geraldine-James/dp/B0014VIIU8/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=echoes+dvd&qid=1595489442&refinements=p_lbr_actors_browse-bin%3AAlison+Doody&rnid=3280629031&s=dvd&sr=1-1

It's also part of a 3 DVD box with Anner House and The Lilac Bus. All released by Acorn Media.

The vast majority of RTEs drama collaborations with Channel 4 from the 80s didn't get released at all even on VHS. A shame as there were some decent shows that I'd like to see again.

The vast majority of RTEs drama collaborations with Channel 4 from the 80s didn't get released at all even on VHS. A shame as there were some decent shows that I'd like to see again.

Any particular ones that jump out?

You would think the lockdown would have been good time to air some forgotten gems... probably tied up in rights hell.

The Price is one that did get a DVD release - great stuff

You would think the lockdown would have been good time to air some forgotten gems... probably tied up in rights hell.

RTE have no interest in their archive. In the past, they used the flimsy excuse of actors' contracts not allowing for home video releases - but that never stopped the likes of Network DVD and Simply Media releasing loads from the ITV/Channel 4 and BBC archives - a lot of obscure shows.

RTE have no interest in their archive. In the past, they used the flimsy excuse of actors' contracts not allowing for home video releases - but that never stopped the likes of Network DVD and Simply Media releasing loads from the ITV/Channel 4 and BBC archives - a lot of obscure shows.

Good point which I must try to remember next time I hear RTE putting on the poor mouth.

Good point which I must try to remember next time I hear RTE putting on the poor mouth.

They have missed the boat now. The time to market their archive was in the mid 2000s. Or else give somebody else a chance at releasing some of it - the likes of Glenroe and Fair City were shown on ITV and I am sure that Network would have been able to shift quite a few copies of series sets if given the opportunity. The market has changed now and physical media sales have declined. I still buy lots of BDs and DVDs but am in a minority.

Caught In A Free State and The Burke Enigma would also have been popular.

Caught In A Free State and The Burke Enigma would also have been popular.

Googled both of them and they look very interesting. Caught in a Free State would have been a good one to release around time Foyles War was on.

• Advertisement

Ghost post ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The Commish, late night saccharine, super-sweet drama with Michael Chiklis as the total opposite of his later Shield character - the small town police commissioner, loving husband and family man, almost 'Little House on the Prairie' like family, except with the odd bit of gun crime for the Commish to investigate.

Used to be on around 11pm on Friday or Saturday nights, RTE2 I think.

The Commish, late night saccharine, super-sweet drama with Michael Chiklis as the total opposite of his later Shield character - the small town police commissioner, loving husband and family man, almost 'Little House on the Prairie' like family, except with the odd bit of gun crime for the Commish to investigate.

Used to be on around 11pm on Friday or Saturday nights, RTE2 I think.

I'd forgotten about that. Watched it a couple of times and didn't like it.

One man and His Dog. we were easily amused back then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭DK224

RMAOK wrote: »
    Thou shalt not kill - I can't remember the guy's name who presented it (might be Kieran Shannon?).
    Remember watching this as an 11yr old and it haunted my dreams back in the day! Really well done show, would love to rewatch it but doesn't seem to be anywhere online

DK224 wrote: »
    Remember watching this as an 11yr old and it haunted my dreams back in the day! Really well done show, would love to rewatch it but doesn't seem to be anywhere online

Cathal O Shannon was the presenter, it ran circa 1994 or 95.

• Advertisement

Who remembers this? The Birthday Show with Shay Healy.

What was the 90s (?) Irish drama where 2 guys and a girl go to England so the girl can get an abortion. They lose track of the girl and go to work on the sites. I think one of the guys was called Bimbo or something similar.
    Very depressing but great show all the same.

In one scene they are sleeping rough and one of the guys sleep-runs naked down the street. In another they chase a guy who broke a window in the Irish centre and give him a kicking.

What was the 90s (?) Irish drama where 2 guys and a girl go to England so the girl can get an abortion. They lose track of the girl and go to work on the sites. I think one of the guys was called Bimbo or something similar.
    Very depressing but great show all the same.

In one scene they are sleeping rough and one of the guys sleep-runs naked down the street. In another they chase a guy who broke a window in the Irish centre and give him a kicking.

Was it the Truth About Claire?

Was it the Truth About Claire?

No, it was a fictional miniseries. One of the lads got killed on the site when a trench he was digging collapsed on him (Bimbo I think).
    Very dark and gritty show it was, i don't think it has ever been repeated. It got hassle from the RCC at the time as I recall.

No, it was a fictional miniseries. One of the lads got killed on the site when a trench he was digging collapsed on him (Bimbo I think).
    Very dark and gritty show it was, i don't think it has ever been repeated. It got hassle from the RCC at the time as I recall.

I found it, O Mary This London it is called. Not on youtube but :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement